Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: 103 motor info. & build help  (Read 11852 times)

2Wheel120

• No Work, No House, No Ride!!
103 motor info. & build help
« on: March 30, 2008, 11:44:18 AM »

I just sold my street glide and I bought a used 04 screamin eagle electra glide, it's blue & black, it was a friends of mine, he never rode it. Anyways, I want to take the 103 that is in there and make it alittle better without going crazy with $$. Even though I belong to the "more money than brains club", I don't want change the bike to much!

What heads, cams, and throttle body come on the stock 2005 SE103?

This was the route I was thinking, hd performance heads, 253 cams, 50mm throttle-body,and SERT tuner!! What do you all think??

I can either use the exhaust that I already have- V & H duals with cobra slip-ons, or do the new Bub-7's true duals, I don't know if spending $800 on the bub-7 duals is better than what I already have??

I know most of you guys on here know alot more than I do. My local dealer is not the best place to get performance info from, so I figured that I would get some professional help here!!

Thank you for any help that you can give,
                                                                                                                            Dan 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 06:58:53 PM by 2Wheel120 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 103 motor info. & build help
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 12:04:54 PM »

Just a note for those of us so pleased with and proud of our Screamin Eagle Electra Glides.  It ain't an Ultra :2vrolijk_21: .  Congrats on getting the bike :drink: .

2Wheel120

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 12:07:44 PM »

Just a note for those of us so pleased with and proud of our Screamin Eagle Electra Glides.  It ain't an Ultra :2vrolijk_21: .  Congrats on getting the bike :drink: .
My bad, It's my first, but I guess I should of known that, right!!

I changed it, so now no one will know! lol
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 12:09:43 PM by 2Wheel120 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »

My bad, It's my first, but I guess I should of known that, right!!

Your SEEG is just so much cooler.  Might as well be proud of it!

IRyde

• Chrome!! Zippin' by on an Electra Glide... Dual Tail Pipes... Doin' 105... In The Broad Daylight... On a Two Lane... Headin' Outta Town!!!!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 12:10:36 PM »

Well said TwoLane.  Thank you for clearing up that little matter.
Congrats on the new bike 2Wheel120.  Black and Blues are nice.

2Wheel120

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 12:21:19 PM »

I actually like the yellow ones, I think you guys call them bananas! But I got this for a good good price, so I couldn't pass it up, plus it only has 900 miles on it! I will put some pictures up soon.

Any thoughts on the 103 motor up grade?

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
  • Non Riding for the moment!!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 12:49:38 PM »

I found out not to long ago, that I think the 253 cams come in the cvo-103's. I am not 100% sure, but I think they do!! Also, the 255 cams say they are for the 07's and newer, so I am not sure they will work in the 05's, but I don't know about that, thats just what the book shows!!

MIKE

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 01:23:28 PM »

Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake this morning, but in 05, the colors were  Red/Maroon, Yellow/Silver and Teal/?? .  In 04, there were two colors offered  Orange/Black and Cobalt Blue/Black so the first thing on this bike is that it must be an 04 if it's an Screamin Eagle model.In order to understand what configuration of the CVO 103 you have we need to get the year correct

B B

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 04:19:46 PM »

those 103's have the notorious cam chain problem - but better cranks than the current bikes do [that crank is still available - but twice the bux]

they can be converted to gear drive or converted to the 07 cam chain type with special cams.

there is a se cam plate and pump kit that gets you the newer pump with the newest cam plate available suitable for ss gear drive.

having those heads worked over [baisley etc] will supposedly give great results

best torque available with stock headers and good slip ons. [check on line dyno librarys to prove that - most aftermarket head pipes have poor power under 3k rpm]

one of the timken conversion kits would be good

while my ultra with sidecar is on warranty im going to just leave it alone... they already had to replace the rings and pistons once - i wont take the warranty risk.

but on a bike with no warranty - se forged crank - welded, timken, gear drive, worked heads - would be a no brainer.

to

2Wheel120

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 07:02:28 PM »

Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake this morning, but in 05, the colors were  Red/Maroon, Yellow/Silver and Teal/?? .  In 04, there were two colors offered  Orange/Black and Cobalt Blue/Black so the first thing on this bike is that it must be an 04 if it's an Screamin Eagle model.In order to understand what configuration of the CVO 103 you have we need to get the year correct

B B

It is an 04, I didn't even notice that I typed the wrong # in! DUH

Thats two mistakes already, I should be fired for that! Maybe I am not worthy of this bike! :nixweiss:

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 07:33:26 PM »

subscribig.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »

Thats two mistakes already, I should be fired for that! Maybe I am not worthy of this bike! :nixweiss:

No way Dude. The fact that of all the Harley-Davidson motorcycles for sale, you picked this one shows you are a man of discriminate taste and astute wisdom.  The Cobalt Blue 04 SEEG is one of the most sought after in the used market.

Or in other words - - - - - - - Ya done good  ;D

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 08:27:29 PM »

It's a SEEG.  That's all that matters.  When it's already the best one year model or the other just doesn't matter :2vrolijk_21: .

fj4069

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 11:06:03 PM »

i'd go with the woods tw6h cams, 50mm tb, 10.5 to 1's and some SE heads, or have your stock heads worked over a little if you don't mind having your bike down for too long waiting to get the heads back. alot of my friends have all run the SE cams and as soon as possible swapped them out for different  cams.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 03:13:14 AM »

Here's a link to a thread on dyno sheets and dyno numbers......it may help you in deciding what combination to go with and what combination to stay away from......   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=162.0 

For what it's worth.....it seems that the 103" motor is much more reliable than the newer 110.

And another thread that you'll find helpful.....   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=504.0
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 03:15:15 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 03:17:37 AM »

The dyno thread doesn't want to stay highlighted so I'll post it again here.....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=162.0
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 09:24:22 AM »

beautifull bike, the 04 & 05 seegs are where its at :bananarock: a lot of west coast guys are using freedom cams and pipes. most have switched to gear drive. trutrack or ride stra-8 too.

petapig

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 02:18:05 PM »

Might suggest the most reasonable set up. Andrews 67G, gear drive cams, V&Hines 2 into 1 pro exhaust, High flow air, dyno tune. No need for other heads and more beefed up engine work. This will dyno out at 108 HP and 119 lbs of Torque, Run very smooth, with plenty of power. Thought about upgrading the fuel injection and getting better heads, but these numbers  are very nice and saves thousands of bucks. This is much better than the new 110 engines, with the 257 Harley cams  instead of the dog 255 cams and same pipes and air, which only dyno"ed out at 102 Hp and 109 Lbs of Torque.Gear drive cams are the way to go, and for exhaust if you want power you go 2 into 1. Thunder headers have a nice system, but way to loud and they turn blue and look bad after just a few thousand miles, no bluing on the V&H pipes.  I have had 7 ,103 Screaming Eagles and this is the best bang for the bucks. If I remember right you can't upgrade the fuel injection to the 50 MM one unless you have a 2006 bike. I think you will really like this set up, not a wild one, but over all excellant performance.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 02:36:34 PM »

2Wheel120

I'd suggest you determine who is going to do your work and have them set you up a package. Unless your doing it yourself. I talked with at least 5 builders/vendors before I decided on one. I also talked with my shop's builder and service manager, they all race motorcycles. Where in the Land of Lincoln are you? And welcome from another Illinois rider!

JW

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 03:45:46 PM »

Used to be Lake Shore H-D up that way was a primo shop. Don't know if that's still the case

B B

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 03:56:29 PM »

Used to be Lake Shore H-D up that way was a primo shop. Don't know if that's still the case

B B

The last time I walked into Lake Shore H-D (they now have one of the new styled HD shops), they had two new 2007 SEUC's on the floor for $2000 over MSRP.  They used to be a MSRP dealer in the old shop.  I asked one of the sales monkey's about the price - he told me these were "special" bikes - and that is why they carried the markup - cause they had "extra" features the regular bikes didn't have.  I asked him what features were so special that it warranted the over MSRP price.  He wasn't sure, but if I wanted, he could get me a brochure to look at.

If you are looking for a dealer to give you input on a motor package - I would go to Hal's HD in New Berlin, Wi. - just south of Milwaukee - about 40 minutes up the road from Lake Shore, or Kutter HD in Janesvillle, Wi.   :2vrolijk_21: 

But, myself, I would go to a motor shop like many of those mentioned on the site... :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 12:23:29 AM »

Might suggest the most reasonable set up. Andrews 67G, gear drive cams, V&Hines 2 into 1 pro exhaust, High flow air, dyno tune. No need for other heads and more beefed up engine work. This will dyno out at 108 HP and 119 lbs of Torque, Run very smooth, with plenty of power. Thought about upgrading the fuel injection and getting better heads, but these numbers  are very nice and saves thousands of bucks. This is much better than the new 110 engines, with the 257 Harley cams  instead of the dog 255 cams and same pipes and air, which only dyno"ed out at 102 Hp and 109 Lbs of Torque.Gear drive cams are the way to go, and for exhaust if you want power you go 2 into 1. Thunder headers have a nice system, but way to loud and they turn blue and look bad after just a few thousand miles, no bluing on the V&H pipes.  I have had 7 ,103 Screaming Eagles and this is the best bang for the bucks. If I remember right you can't upgrade the fuel injection to the 50 MM one unless you have a 2006 bike. I think you will really like this set up, not a wild one, but over all excellant performance.

I would have to disagree on the 67 cam for a bolt in in the 103. The duration is going to bring it on really late and they also want compression to be from 10-10.8. The stock 103 is around 9. If you want a top speed bike this would be good with the heads shaved and/or a .030 head gasket but most want a lot of grunt down low in a bagger. The bolt in cams that have performed best in the 103's have been the 575 from Zippers or the Yuill Bros FCC13.

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 04:19:05 PM »

I'm in process on planning something very similar.  As stated earlier, the new SE255 cam uses a different chain and support plate.  In order to use these in a 04, what besides the cams do you need to replace?  Is it the support plate, gears and cams?  Does HD have a kit?

Any insight would be helpful. 

Thanks. 

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 05:14:03 PM »

Others may suggest different names and I am not dissing any of them. For my part, I am suggesting you call Dave Mackie at Dave Mackie Engineering. Google it and you'll find the contact info. Dave will discuss with you what you want and make suggestions. All you need then is a local wrench of respectable talent and about $5k and I promise you , you won't be disappointed

B B

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 06:49:37 PM »

flhse

If your interested, I will have the new style cam support plate and SE255 from my build soon. PM me if interested. All this stuff will be going on ebay.

Sorry for thread jack

JW

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 07:20:50 PM »

I must have a lucky one. My 96 wide glide has over 50k with thunder header and no blue at all. Although I have seen many that were very blue.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 08:33:11 PM »

I'm in process on planning something very similar.  As stated earlier, the new SE255 cam uses a different chain and support plate.  In order to use these in a 04, what besides the cams do you need to replace?  Is it the support plate, gears and cams?  Does HD have a kit?

Any insight would be helpful. 

Thanks. 

so, if the 255 only fits the new style support plate, then it wont fit your inner cam bearings. besides, its not a great cam unless you only intend on making early torque and nothing else.

shop around!

2Wheel120

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 10:27:44 PM »

I think this is going to be the plan,

SERT
BUB-7 duals
have the heads done by dave mackie
 dave mackie pistons/ 10.5.1 comp.
 dave mackie 590 cams
50mm T-body

The estimate numbers should be about 110hp and 114tq.

I should be doing it maybe next week, I will post the results when I get them.

Thanks for all your comments.

2Wheel120

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 10:41:11 PM »

B B
I've been there a couple of times and I don't have any confidence in there service dept. I even talked to them about doing a build and they had me all confused. I don't think that they are what they use to be.
I am going to go to Woodstock HD in woodstock,il or go north to Kutters HD in janesville,wi. The guy on here sirmichael113 has spoke highly of woodstock HD and had his motor stuff done there and seemed to be happy with the work they did for him, so I will probably go there to see what they have to say about doing this for me.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 10:42:41 PM »

Sounds like a nice package.  Good luck with your scooter.

JW

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 10:45:32 PM »

I've been there a couple of times and I don't have any confidence in there service dept. I even talked to them about doing a build and they had me all confused. I don't think that they are what they use to be.
I am going to go to Woodstock HD in woodstock,il or go north to Kutters HD in janesville,wi. The guy on here sirmichael113 has spoke highly of woodstock HD and had his motor stuff done there and seemed to be happy with the work they did for him, so I will probably go there to see what they have to say about doing this for me.

I have never had any work done at Woodstock HD, but a few of my friends have.  They've got a good reputation for motor and dyno work....   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 10:48:22 PM »

Bubba_T's motor is done. The dyno sheet is 116 Ftlbs of Torque and 110 HP. The TQ comes on at about 2500 RPM's and peaks at about 3750 continuing on a mostly flat line to 5,200 where as with all motors it drops off. the HP peaks at just about redline or 6,200. This motor has CVO 103 heads ported and polished by Dave Mackie. 103 cylinders with Mackie's custom machined semi-domed pistons running about 10.5 / 1 compression. Mackie DM598G cams. Fueling oil pump, lifters, cylinder studs. SE Adjustable pushrods. S&S gear drive kit and all eutectic gaskets. A stock throttle body was bored out to 49mm by BC Gerolami and it is running a Gerolamy air cleaner on a Screamin Eagle breather. Bassani True-dual headpipes and mufflers. All wrapped up with a Power Commander.I was extremely skeptical of the dyno numbers after riding it This bike is VERY IMPRESSIVE to ride. It is smooth from idle to WFO and at 3200 it takes off like it's hooked up with nitros. While it wouldn't beat my 05 SEVROD, it is fast - - - damn fast. The dyno run on the sheet is listed as #6  of some 20 runs made. Bubba wanted the bike back and who knows what the dyno shop gave him for paperwork. C'est la vie, as I've said before dyno sheets are for sitting in bars and running your mouth beyond what the tell the tuner. This bike runs STRONG, very strong. My 103 is 108TQ an 103-104HP and there's no way I'm gonna be within a 100 yds of Bubba stop light to stop light. Cost to take Bubba_T's stock 03 SERK and turn into what he has now was not cheap. $6k total. Is it worth it ? Absolutely. I spent very close to this on my 103 build trying to use all H-D parts to keep my warranty intact. (so I was told at the time) My warranty as noted on another thread is now void and I don't have anywhere near what Bubba's got for a motor, so yeah, if I had it to do over , for sure I'd go this route. Twolane has a very similar Dave Mackie set-up with a bit more displacement, bigger heads, a two into one system and a bigger throttle body. He's in the upper 120's somewhere on both numbers.

Now before 100 people post how so and so and such and such parts produce way more this and that, let me say this. Dave Mackie and I have worked together on several Hi-Po motors I've had in bikes. One, built in 1995 is still out on the street with only a fresh valve job after about 20,000 hard miles. Another is in a chopper somewhere running strong after who knows how many miles. And that's the bottom line with Dave Mackie Engineering. Good solid perforamance for the street and rock solid reliability. Can't beat that

B  B

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 10:52:53 PM »

Bubba_T's motor is done. The dyno sheet is 116 Ftlbs of Torque and 110 HP. The TQ comes on at about 2500 RPM's and peaks at about 3750 continuing on a mostly flat line to 5,200 where as with all motors it drops off. the HP peaks at just about redline or 6,200. This motor has CVO 103 heads ported and polished by Dave Mackie. 103 cylinders with Mackie's custom machined semi-domed pistons running about 10.5 / 1 compression. Mackie DM598G cams. Fueling oil pump, lifters, cylinder studs. SE Adjustable pushrods. S&S gear drive kit and all eutectic gaskets. A stock throttle body was bored out to 49mm by BC Gerolami and it is running a Gerolamy air cleaner on a Screamin Eagle breather. Bassani True-dual headpipes and mufflers. All wrapped up with a Power Commander.I was extremely skeptical of the dyno numbers after riding it This bike is VERY IMPRESSIVE to ride. It is smooth from idle to WFO and at 3200 it takes off like it's hooked up with nitros. While it wouldn't beat my 05 SEVROD, it is fast - - - damn fast. The dyno run on the sheet is listed as #6  of some 20 runs made. Bubba wanted the bike back and who knows what the dyno shop gave him for paperwork. C'est la vie, as I've said before dyno sheets are for sitting in bars and running your mouth beyond what the tell the tuner. This bike runs STRONG, very strong. My 103 is 108TQ an 103-104HP and there's no way I'm gonna be within a 100 yds of Bubba stop light to stop light. Cost to take Bubba_T's stock 03 SERK and turn into what he has now was not cheap. $6k total. Is it worth it ? Absolutely. I spent very close to this on my 103 build trying to use all H-D parts to keep my warranty intact. (so I was told at the time) My warranty as noted on another thread is now void and I don't have anywhere near what Bubba's got for a motor, so yeah, if I had it to do over , for sure I'd go this route. Twolane has a very similar Dave Mackie set-up with a bit more displacement, bigger heads, a two into one system and a bigger throttle body. He's in the upper 120's somewhere on both numbers.

Now before 100 people post how so and so and such and such parts produce way more this and that, let me say this. Dave Mackie and I have worked together on several Hi-Po motors I've had in bikes. One, built in 1995 is still out on the street with only a fresh valve job after about 20,000 hard miles. Another is in a chopper somewhere running strong after who knows how many miles. And that's the bottom line with Dave Mackie Engineering. Good solid perforamance for the street and rock solid reliability. Can't beat that

B  B

That's a great result for Bubba...  Sounds like all that is left to do is to ride the hell out of it....   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2008, 10:56:34 PM »

That's great news Brian.  Just great to read of it turning out as well as you guys hoped.  Hope he is very very pleased.  That's got to be a blast to ride. 

Of course it is part of the much larger package.  But assuming you're surrounding it with the parts to take proper advantage of it I am fast becoming a very big fan of that Mackie 598 cam.  Early in and strong.  Tell Ken I said congrats on getting her done and getting it dialed in.  Great to see this one come to such a great end :2vrolijk_21: .

2Wheel120

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2008, 11:01:50 PM »

I agree, the numbers are not the most important thing for me, plus all dynos are not the same, it was just something to base it off of. I know it may not be the best running 103 motor, but i do not want to spend a fortune either, so it will be good enough. I have thought about the 2-1 exhaust, but I just don't know if I would like that or not.

thanks for the information on dave mackie, I talked to him a couple of times, he was nice enough to talk with me and spent alittle time going over exactly what I need, that was cool. He didn't try to talk me into going crazy on the build.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2008, 11:06:56 PM »

PS
   Of note is that the Bassani system does not pop on decel. Nope, nyet, nada, uh uh. Not a bit. That's cool

B B
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.