Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Here we go again  (Read 4461 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Here we go again
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 08:20:52 PM »

I'd like to add one thought to the gasket leak problem.  I've had both an '07 and now an '08, both with the same leaks as all of you.

The '07 was repaired twice, the second time we asked the moco to OK a five pound torque increase from the factory sequence; it was approved by "tech services".  The gaskets were the multi layer Cometic style.  I sold that bike to a friend, and to date it's still holding at 6k since the repair.

The '08 began leaking at 2500mi.  This time we replaced the cylinders, and used the new composite gasket, again with the moco approval, increased the torque five pounds.  I've only got 3k since this rebuild, but so far so good.

Those of you still dealing with the leak, you might consider asking your tech to increase the torque and tell them "tech services" has approved it before, if you ask for it.

I'm crossing my fingers that both of the bikes continue to hold! 

The factory method ends up at about 33# after the 90 deg turn.  The increased torque after the 90 degrees turned out to be almost 39-40# with the extra 5#; which still isn't much when you consider the caliper to fork spec is 40#.

It's very frustrating that we have to, in effect, fix our own bikes because the moco is not interested in producing a quality product; they're only interested in how much money they can cheat so many loyal customers out of.  I know that's pretty harsh, but if the "shoe fits"!

What you accomplished by increasing your torque values beyond the MOCO spec has brought you very close to the torque values specified by Cometic for their gaskets!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 09:45:33 PM »

What you accomplished by increasing your torque values beyond the MOCO spec has brought you very close to the torque values specified by Cometic for their gaskets!

One thought on the effectiveness of this in the larger context of a regular shop environment.  Was hanging with a buddy who used to have a SnapOn route.  We pulled in to a large, clean, nicely equipped GM dealership.  It'd been a slow day for him and he said, "Watch this, lets sell a torque wrench or two."

So he pulls out a bench vise mounted type of calibration/measurement tool for 1/2" drive wrenches.  All the lemmings line up with their wrenches.  Of 14 that were measured only six were within */- 5% of accurate.  10% off wasn't uncommon.  And one was off by 25%.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 09:48:58 PM »

One thought on the effectiveness of this in the larger context of a regular shop environment.  Was hanging with a buddy who used to have a SnapOn route.  We pulled in to a large, clean, nicely equipped GM dealership.  It'd been a slow day for him and he said, "Watch this, lets sell a torque wrench or two."

So he pulls out a bench vise mounted type of calibration/measurement tool for 1/2" drive wrenches.  All the lemmings line up with their wrenches.  Of 14 that were measured only six were within */- 5% of accurate.  10% off wasn't uncommon.  And one was off by 25%.

I absolutely believe that...  I have seen it time and time again.  Folks don't have their torque wrenches calibrated for years and misuse them often....
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2008, 09:54:55 PM »

I absolutely believe that...  I have seen it time and time again.  Folks don't have their torque wrenches calibrated for years and misuse them often....

If you're going to actually use them and believe in the method that's why you have two if there's no shop around to calibrate them.  After they're dropped a time or three, or slip off and the ratchet system gets yanked a few times they need to be dialed back in.  Use one while the other is in the mail.

I cheat though.  My #2 is a cheapie.  But #1 is a nice long handled beastie though.  And it measures both rh and lh.  Oooohhhhhh  ??? .

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 10:42:49 PM »

Sadunbar, I'm glad you noticed that.  Since the '07 used the factory "Cometic" gasket, that's exactly the spec we used.  On the '08, the new composite gasket was used.  Since the repair was on the MoCo's dime, we used the plus five pounds that Tech Services approved.

While I have no complaints with my dealer, the poor quality from HD will force a choice if there's another failure.  I'll either dump Harley altogether or have it rebuilt myself as several of you have done.  The dealer had to fight Tech Services to get what I wanted; they tried to make them replace only the head gasket w/o replacing the shifted liners, and they also wanted the dealer to use the old rings.  HD is an amazing company, they really believe that all these failures are the fault of the customer; wow!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 10:48:13 PM »

Sadunbar, I'm glad you noticed that.  Since the '07 used the factory "Cometic" gasket, that's exactly the spec we used.  On the '08, the new composite gasket was used.  Since the repair was on the MoCo's dime, we used the plus five pounds that Tech Services approved.

While I have no complaints with my dealer, the poor quality from HD will force a choice if there's another failure.  I'll either dump Harley altogether or have it rebuilt myself as several of you have done.  The dealer had to fight Tech Services to get what I wanted; they tried to make them replace only the head gasket w/o replacing the shifted liners, and they also wanted the dealer to use the old rings.  HD is an amazing company, they really believe that all these failures are the fault of the customer; wow!

Careful, I think they are reeling you in!  They don't believe the failures are the fault of the customer - they want to convince you and I that the failures are the fault of the customer.  There lies the game...if they keep repeating it often enough they hope it will be perceived as fact...  Stand firm and don't look into the light!!!
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2008, 11:43:29 PM »

I can tell you I will never buy another new Harley. I love them so I'll buy an older model and have the motor done at an indy and add what I want. Fool me thrise.......  8)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.