Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: best pipes for performance  (Read 3011 times)

zsch21

best pipes for performance
« on: March 06, 2010, 11:04:25 PM »

Hey y'all,
I'm at bike week now (cold but good) and took delivery of my new SESG CC just before coming down, but was not able to bring it with :( I spoke with the Rhinehart rep here about changing out the stock pipes and they offer a pretty good deal at the shows (Daytona and Sturgis) almost $1,000 less than what the stealership wanted for a similar package - they recommend Thunder Max to replace the stock ECU and charge around $1,500 including installation (sounded decent on the 96" models) - the dealership wanted $2,300 but said they would dyno it too and that was with the Harley fuel management deal. 

The question I have regarding pipes is not what looks the fattest, or what smells the best, but what actually performs the best - not even sure if this information is out there but everyone here seems to be pretty well informed. For me I'd rather have more go than show. I don't want the loudest or fattest pipes available, just want whichever model will help my 110 put the most HP to the rear wheel as possible. The two that two that I've been looking at are Rhinehart and V&H.

Comments are appreciated (positive and negative).

thanks - brian

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: best pipes for performance
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 11:08:46 PM »

A 2-1 will typically perform better than duals. Probably the best performing pipe for the HD engine is the Thunder Header. It is loud but works very well. Next to that would be the D&D fatcat with a performance baffle. The stock ECM works very well and in combination with the TTS Mastertune you will have a great package.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 11:15:40 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

BLU Bike

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 07:27:08 AM »

I have used 2-1 starting with the White bros E series and like the sound and love the performance, had Supertrapp Supermeg on my RK and my wife has it on here SG. With the bags on the SESG I personally feel it would not look good with a 2-1 so I asked the guy that runs the dyno at my local shop. He recommends coring out the CC, installing Full Sac, supertuner and changing the air cleaner he takes parts from a Zipper air cleaner and parts from the screaming eagle and makes his own filter. He also said that the 50mm throttle body limits performance (design and size issues) so change to the 58mm throttle body. He showed me dyno runs from both without the throttle body and with the 58mm throttle body, the 50mm with the other changes produced average of 94hp and 103tq with the 58mm 103hp and 120tq. I haven't heard a bike with the exhaust changes but clearing out the CC and the Full Sac's have to improve stock sound.

I've seen some posts about the Full Sac but I haven't caught any dyno #'s yet, once I get my break in done and get the dyno sheets showing before and after I'll post them. Does anyone have dyno #'s from changes? If so please post.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 10:36:15 AM »

Just as is the case with most mods, the answer to that question is that there is no one pipe that is best for performance.  First you have to define performance; do you want what will give you the broadest power band, the highest torque peak, the highest horsepower peak, etc. ?   I'm not aware of any exhaust that does it all.

If you want the broadest power band, which is the smartest way to go with a bagger, keeping the stock 2 into 1 into 2 system and just recoring the mufflers and removing the cat is always a good choice.  The 2 into 1 pipes mentioned by hd-dude will give you the next best option, and the so-called true dual pipes would be the last choice.

JMHO  -  Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 11:10:26 AM »

If volumne isn't an issue, I'd go with Thunderheader if you're after the top end torque and horepower.  Besides the fact that it's so loud.......it is about the best sounding exhaust out there, also. :2vrolijk_21:

I run that exhaust on many bikes over the years...........that's why I can't hear now. :nixweiss:  
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 10:35:53 AM »

For optimizing performance I've been told by almost everyone that Thunderheader is the best by far. :2vrolijk_21:
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

zsch21

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 10:17:07 PM »

grc brings up a valid point. By performance I would want a broad power band. I read some posts about guys drilling out the cat converter - have any of you guys removed your cat on the SESG? What type of results, if any, did that produce? Anybody used fullsac on your SESG - how do you like them?

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 10:24:47 PM »

grc brings up a valid point. By performance I would want a broad power band. I read some posts about guys drilling out the cat converter - have any of you guys removed your cat on the SESG? What type of results, if any, did that produce? Anybody used fullsac on your SESG - how do you like them?

I had fullsac do the CAT removal and use their 2.0" baffles. With only those changes, a SE (Pro) ST and a dyno tune I got pretty decent numbers. Dyno chart attached...

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 11:08:56 PM »

I had fullsac do the CAT removal and use their 2.0" baffles. With only those changes, a SE (Pro) ST and a dyno tune I got pretty decent numbers. Dyno chart attached...

Those are typical numbers for the mods you did... :2vrolijk_21:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Blazo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 11:45:55 PM »

<snip>put the most HP to the rear wheel as possible<snip>

If you are strictly after performance, you should go with 2 into 1 pipes. Check out RB Racing pipes -- http://www.rbracing-rsr.com. This mom and pop shop makes pipes for Nascar and Formula One cars as well as record holding Harleys. I have a set of LSRs on my 95" Road King making 98 hp and 104 tq and I like 'em a lot. I would jump on another set of RB Racing pipes for the SERG3 but they aren't available in a dual configuration and I don't want an empty hole under the left saddlebag. The LSR 2-1 are loud, like a pissed off Nascar, but not as loud as a Thunder Header. They also make a 2-1 pipe called the Black Hole. Don't have personal knowledge of them but they are supposed to give you great power and they are quiet to boot.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 05:24:28 AM »

106HP and 111 TQ with cat removed, 1.75 Fullsac baffles (I'd go with 2.0 if I had it to do again) and Fueling Rivera 574 cams.  No head work....stock heads.  I am very, very happy with what I got especially considering how little I spent.

My dyno sheet can be seen here.....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=44545.0
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 09:19:17 AM »

Hey JC, What is your reason why you would go with the 2" instead of the 1.75" if you had to do it over?  Sound?  Performance?

106HP and 111 TQ with cat removed, 1.75 Fullsac baffles (I'd go with 2.0 if I had it to do again) and Fueling Rivera 574 cams.  No head work....stock heads.  I am very, very happy with what I got especially considering how little I spent.

My dyno sheet can be seen here.....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=44545.0

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 21 queries.