Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: To Remove Cat or NOT!!!!!  (Read 15605 times)

cdestuck

• Junior CVO Member
Re: To Remove Cat or NOT!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 09:57:18 PM »

Wonderind...on my 2010 SE Ultra, can I put on a 09 non cat head pipe. I have been told that because the relocated the O2s and made them a different size, that a earlier year wont work. Any ideas as to what I can do to get rid on my cats. Do the Vance power dualw work on 2010, see their site says their for 2009s..

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 12:49:45 AM »

Wonderind...on my 2010 SE Ultra, can I put on a 09 non cat head pipe. I have been told that because the relocated the O2s and made them a different size, that a earlier year wont work. Any ideas as to what I can do to get rid on my cats. Do the Vance power dualw work on 2010, see their site says their for 2009s..

'10 sensors are in a different location than the '09's and different size. Not really interchangeable.
I would take the direct route and get an x-pipe for stock looks, or aftermarket if you are after different looks.

Good luck
 8)
HOGMIKE

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 07:33:54 AM »

Don't core drill the cat. It only removes a small portion and mashes the honeycomb around the core drill ( NO more flow through the mashed part). The Platinum is also knocked off of honeycomb when its drilled. Its a heavy powder finer than sand. All this falls to the bottom of the pipe in front of the cat. Reversion can possibly suck this back into the motor. This powder is then pushed into whats remaining of the honeycomb when first started, effectively stopping it up . It would be like taking off the header pipe filling it with sand , bolting it back on the firing it up.
 :vrolijk27:

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »

i'd say remove the cat completely too. :drink: the leftover portion of the cat will retain allot of heat. here is a pic of what it looks like cored. plus i found it easier to remove it totally  vs drilling.

TN

Wut the hell was that maneuver

Jus Cruisin

• SERG Rider
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 06:39:54 PM »

Well I swapped the head pipes today. Not all that difficult. The two things that gave me the most "trouble" was replacing the gaskets and then getting the replacement pipes actually lined up in the exhaust ports. Took it for a shake down run and to be honest, the only thing I noticed was a bit more exhaust noise. My "butt dyno" didn't notice anything.
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange, Fullsac and SERT

Other stuff in my garage: All American
2010 F150 Platinum 4X2
2008 Roush Mustang 428R, only 435hp
2008 Corvette convertible, 436hp

Occam

• Full CVO Member
  • Power On The Cheap

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE in black & fire quartz
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 01:55:37 AM »

Well I swapped the head pipes today. Not all that difficult. The two things that gave me the most "trouble" was replacing the gaskets and then getting the replacement pipes actually lined up in the exhaust ports. Took it for a shake down run and to be honest, the only thing I noticed was a bit more exhaust noise. My "butt dyno" didn't notice anything.

With all due respect, a retune may yield more performance, many seek the increase in exhaust note you already mentioned, and your butt dyno will not reveal potentially life saving temp decreases in the engine.

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 10:22:18 AM »

I took mine out. took a porta band saw cut both ends and welded back on. used high heat paint and it works fine. I didn't notice a lot of difference but it has to be a lot cooler.
I dont' think you heard what I thought I said
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 12:12:02 PM »

These motors run hot enough without the cat plugging them up.  It is called an exhaust and should allow the engine to do just that...exhaust. 

The cat greatly reduces airflow in a piece that is designed to flow air. 

There is a thread in here from a guy who is now getting a new motor because his (cat) plugged and destroyed his engine.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 12:59:59 PM »

With all due respect, a retune may yield more performance,
We have a winner!
Removing the cat increases air flow big time when done after the addition of High flow mufflers and AC.
With out retuning your running even leaner than before at heavy throttle out side of closed loop.
The performance gain will come when you add fuel and get the AFRs corrected.

Steve
Fullsac Performance
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:01:40 PM by Fullsac Perf »
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2010, 02:37:27 PM »

Cats are like potato in a school bus pipe. It`ll get ya there but it takes a while longer. :2vrolijk_21:

Jus Cruisin

• SERG Rider
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2010, 07:32:35 PM »

I took mine out. took a porta band saw cut both ends and welded back on. used high heat paint and it works fine. I didn't notice a lot of difference but it has to be a lot cooler.

I wanted to keep my original pipes "original" just in case there is a need to make it legal again.

We have a winner!
Removing the cat increases air flow big time when done after the addition of High flow mufflers and AC.
With out retuning your running even leaner than before at heavy throttle out side of closed loop.
The performance gain will come when you add fuel and get the AFRs corrected.

Steve
Fullsac Performance

Running your Fullsacs already ( just the right sound for me) and it was SERT tuned after they were installed. I will most likely get it re-tuned. Not about to try to get this tank to run like my old bike which had 174 hp to the rear wheel. Just want it to run respectably. I am thinking about doing the SERT Master Tune upgrade that was discussed in another thread.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 07:35:11 PM by Jus Cruisin »
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange, Fullsac and SERT

Other stuff in my garage: All American
2010 F150 Platinum 4X2
2008 Roush Mustang 428R, only 435hp
2008 Corvette convertible, 436hp

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 21 queries.