Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Cooling 110's Extreme Heat  (Read 6541 times)

aftaylor

• CVO1: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Cooling 110's Extreme Heat
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:34:19 AM »

I bought a Road Glide Ultra SE about a month ago.  I had the dealer install a set of V&H monster ovals slip-ons and a Dynojet Power Commander V module.  I still have the lowers on the bike.  Riding in traffic at Myrtle Beach the bike wanted to die, I believe because of the heat.  That issue maybe one of the cyclinders shutting down, which I understand is typical. The other issue is just the extreme heat. The three hour ride home from Myrtle Beach with a 90 degree day you could fry an egg on my right leg jeans.  I know removing the lowers will help a lot.  What else can I do or have the dealer do to get the bike to run a lot cooler?  The dealer is not very sophisticated, so details will be much appreciated.  I understand removing the catalytic conventer will help and there are ECM changes that can be made, but does anyone have specifics?

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
Re: Cooling 110's Extreme Heat
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:59:59 AM »

Fullsac X-Pipe (gets rid of cats), Big Sucker A/C, 1.75 Fullsac baffles & TTS.  Get a good tuner and it will make a ton of difference.  I road 4 hours to a highly recommended tuner and it was well worth it.  Also, removing the lowers makes a HUGE difference, especially for my BSR.
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:03:38 PM »

Fullsac X-Pipe (gets rid of cats), Big Sucker A/C, 1.75 Fullsac baffles & TTS.  Get a good tuner and it will make a ton of difference.  I road 4 hours to a highly recommended tuner and it was well worth it.  Also, removing the lowers makes a HUGE difference, especially for my BSR.

I ride in triple digits and have never had my leg fairings off (even though I have the quick release on them).....no problem.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:08:40 PM »

I ride in triple digits and have never had my leg fairings off (even though I have the quick release on them).....no problem.

Jcz,

What bike do you have? I have the XPipe, 1.75" Fullsac baffles, TTS and leg fairings removed. This week in Kentucky on one of our rides, when I would put my foot on the highway peg I could feel the heat coming thru my chaps from my calf to the back of my knee. I have run the Vtune but have not had the bike tuned yet. I would really like to re-install the lowers as they block a lot of the wind and make longer, super slab type rides much for comfortable for me and my BSR. Thanks. Rob

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:39:37 PM »

JC-

You are one tough motorskooter     :cherry:  ..   I've done everything but removed the lowers (won't) and the old girl is still hot.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:40:19 PM »

I have the 10 SESG and the wife rides an 09 Street Glide (with leg fairings).....year round.  

Her's has a 96" and the heat seems to bother her more than me, so even though we removed the cat, Fullsac 1.75 baffles and TTS.....Jim wrapped her header with exhaust wrap then put the heat shields back on.  Seems to have done the trick for her.  We rode in triple digits a number of times last summer on our touring rides.

I think the tune (the tuner!) has a lot to do with it but here's my dyno sheet, you can see the A/F ratio is dead on....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=44545.0   
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:42:41 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

admccrea

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:20:51 PM »

Kill the CAT...Welcome to the site from Valley Forge PA.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 01:42:10 PM »

As most have said........fullsac, no cat. My lowers have never been off, either
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 02:15:16 PM »

[/quote]

What are the quick releases you are referring to?
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 02:17:45 PM »

Welcome to the site from Southern Ontario, Canada   :pepper:
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 02:30:09 PM »

Would not take the lowers off. Change pipes and synthetic oil.

aftaylor

• CVO1: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 03:50:16 PM »

I apologize for not saying Hi.  I was right to the point.  Thanks for the replies, I had planned on having the dealer install V&H Power Duals with no catalytic converter.  I looked into the Fullsac X-Pipe "B", they are actually a lower price than the V&H Power Duals.  Does the black ceramic pipe on the Fullsac show underneath the stock Harley heat shields?

Also, does anyone know of a good Dynojet Power Commander V map to use, running with the Fullsac and V&H Monster Ovals, to run the bike at a lower temperature?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 03:59:51 PM »

What are the quick releases you are referring to?

clcik on this link....  http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448771257&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302287249&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302287249&bmUID=1306180658539&bmLocale=en_US

West Coast GTG   

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »

Eliminating the cat, free flowing exhaust, and an engine tune that is a little richer will help big time.  It's still gonna run hot.  Welcome to the world of 1909 air cooled technology

casper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 04:24:08 PM »

Tune it right and run synthetic oil I use and sell Amsoil and and feel the heat a little but I know it runs cooler than other bikes my friends have
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.