Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Help Advice needed......  (Read 2247 times)

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
Help Advice needed......
« on: June 15, 2006, 09:16:24 PM »

Below you will find a few lousy pics - (need to get a new camera!) - of our 2000 Chrome Yellow Fatboy that just turned 3000 miles. Anyhow, for the girlfriend I recently had it in the local dealer to lower the front, add a chome oil line cover, the EZ Clutch and then I added the new clearview windsheild, - she's thrilled. We took it out for a ride tonite and I noticed something didn't look right with the back fender and discovered a problem. It has developed two cracks - one from each corner of the fender. closer inspection shows a few chips that have "touch up" and it is bent. I assume it was backed into something at the dealer and someone pulled it out and touched it up. We picked it up and didn't notice it til now, a few weeks later. I know the cracks weren't there when we picked it up but would guess that the cracks developed over the past few weeks and with some riding - but due to being stressed by being pulled out after the ding. Anyhow, I know we have no rights now, after we picked it up and didn't say anything. I could have blamed the dog, the girlfreind, her father or something bumped it in the garage - however unlikely - except for the touchup - thats the giveaway to me that they did it and tried to cover it up. I could live with the chips with a proper touchup - which its not, but now the cracks are infuriating and progressing. So what should we ask the dealer for at this point. We are a good customer in a small town, we own three harley's and I am picking my SEEG up this weekend after getting several thousand dollars of work done to it - so it would be nice if they came clean, but not likely. I feel they should at least get us a factory painted replacement fender at cost. To properly repaint/repair this I think would be close to the same cost and not easy to match up, regardless I feel a bike this perfect deserves a perfect factory fender. anyhow - just asking for a few pointers, thanks!
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

Ceej

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Help Advice needed......
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 09:18:05 PM »

again that's not a scratch, but rather a crack in the paint...
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

Ceej

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 09:19:34 PM »

you can see the bend in the fender...
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

Ceej

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 09:22:18 PM »

last one, man this just has me fuming, glad I could blow off some steam here, thanks.
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

Ceej

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 09:34:33 PM »

ok the girlfriend is spoiled and I see what her 7.2 megapixel camera can do - i gotta get me one!
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

Ceej

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 09:35:21 PM »

will delete a few of the above...
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

Ceej

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 09:35:59 PM »

Thanks..
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 09:55:17 PM »

That took a heluva jolt.  I'd explain the details as I believed them to be to someone in a position to both listen and make a decision; and I'd explain them exactly once.  If you're in a position to do so after that I'd hold the SEEG over their heads.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 09:55:24 PM »

Think about it.... you have nothing to lose by approaching the dealer and telling them what you suspect happened. Let them know you understand that accidents happen, you just want your scoot repaired to the way that it was brought in. Turn the situation around a little and ask them how they would feel if it was their scoot and it happened to them... how would they feel and what would they want done? Let them know you've been happy with your other dealings with them (if you have been) and would hate to have this affect that relationship.
Just an idea.... expect the best but be prepared for the worst.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 10:14:57 PM »

I agree you should try, but I think it may be a tough sell with the time that has passed.  Can't tell from the description, where did you get the bike?  Is it possible to call the prior owner to verify that nothing was damaged before you got it, or have you had it since new?  Now, if you've owned it all along and are, therefore, 100% certain that the damage happened at the dealer, then I'd be all over them like stink on $h!t.

Ceej

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 10:39:30 PM »

We've had the bike for years and it wasn't damaged, like I said it is hard to see but it is still bent, and the chips have been touched up - it was perfect. I don't know about holdin the SEEG over their head - I am dying to get that back!! I do have my eye on a new CVO Vrod they have, could make a new fender part of that deal ;D - Regardless - am I correct to assume we can get a replacement fender from the Moco factory painted - 2000 model Chrome Yellow?
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 10:46:14 PM »

Yeah, I wouldn't think you'd have any problem getting a replacement from the factory.  Heck, since it's not two-tone, they can't even screw that up for you, unlike the SEEG lowers. ;D

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 11:03:09 PM »

See the store general manager and ask for help. Also ask him to see if anyone in the service department has a recent "shop charge" for a bottle of Chrome Yellow touch up paint. It may lead him to the source of your frustrations........I'm sure they wouldn't want their tech's doing business this way if indeed they were at fault.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 12:15:07 AM »

hell there is plenty of good advice here..and in spite of the all to frequent HD indifference i think you stand a reasonable chance of getting the boss man at the place to make it right...  from the sound of it you have about paid for their building a few times over... { like many of us } i think they d do right by you

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 10:55:20 AM »

I had a similar situation once. What I did was schedule a meeting with the GM explaining I needed about 15 minutes of his time uninterupted. He set up an appt with me and closed the door to his office and turned off his phone. I was friendly and courteous and explained in detail what I felt had happened. The way I stated it was that it appeared the service dept had tried in good faith to repair the problem unobtrusively and probably thought that what they had done was a permanent fix, HOWEVER as the pictures showed things didn't turn out as expected. I asked the GM to do some checking and see what he could find out and that if events had occured as I expected, what he would do to make it right. The GM and the Service manager were able to find out that the service tech had indeed done as I believed and apologized to me for the problem, thanked me for being so courteous in dealing with it and made good on things for me. Like I learned at my Mom's knee, you get more flies with honey than vinegar.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 10:57:06 AM by SPIDERMAN »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.