Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: WTF is wrong with my 103" Updated  (Read 26655 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: WTF 103 Update
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 04:04:37 PM »

Where in NH are you from?  I live in Allenstown which is in between Concord & Manchester.  Just got my bike back from the Manchester dealership today.  I had issues with Heritage in Concord so I tried another dealership.  If you need a hand with anything send a PM.  Good luck with your situation, I hope your dealer steps up to the plate to help you out.  I have over 50K on my bike and I'm trying to learn as much as possible so I can just avoid taking it anyplace but my own garage.  I wish I could find a decent mechanic in our area that could handle our needs without all the BS.

Good Luck

Diese1nut

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: WTF is wrong with my 103" Updated
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 06:29:14 PM »

Update
Bike is at dealer that did the install. They have acknowledged they must have made a mistake during assembly.
The service manager says he will make it right. Their plan is to flush everything, replace cam, bearings, cam plate and pump, new cam cover etc.
My concern is debris in the case and crank bearings and possibly to the top end. There was a couple chips in the oil pump but mgr says nothing of any significance in the oil pan. I appreciate them trying to satisfy me and I don't want to split the cases unnecessarily but I have major concerns about engine life now.

They said the would put in what ever cam I wanted because they know I was not happy with the noisy Zippers 575. They reccomend the SE 211. I was thinking the SE 255 but they say that is only for 2007 and newer. You can see what I have from my first post for upgrades. I ride two up most of the time and carry a good load with full tour pak leathers etc. I want a quiet cam and would not have a problem going back to the stock SE253 but it would kind of suck to go backwards.
Any input is greatly appreciated

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 08:22:02 PM »

Update
Bike is at dealer that did the install. They have acknowledged they must have made a mistake during assembly.
The service manager says he will make it right. Their plan is to flush everything, replace cam, bearings, cam plate and pump, new cam cover etc.

You already described a cam bearing that was frozen on the cam and came out with the cams.  That's almost certainly a ruined engine case.  The shop won't just bolt parts back in and go again.  They've already proved an inability to get it right the first time.  Be cautious as you might end up with something thrown together barely enough to get you out the door the next time if you're not very very careful. 

Diese1nut

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 08:57:14 AM »

Two lane

I hear you. I have tried to be diligent in seeing what they are doing every step of the way because I have the same concerns. The two hour drive is killing me.
When I took it to them I had to feel some satisfaction in what they had to say or I wasn't going to leave it. I insisted I see the crank run out my self and they did accommodate me. The run out was 4 thousands, I was happy with the fact I didn't think the crank was tweaked. I did not see for myself them use a caliper on the case but o will say the the bearing hole looked OK to the eye and there was still a ridge at the back of the hole. They were suppose to check it for true round and to see if it was worn oversize at all but I don't know they did.
Yesterday when I checked the bike they were reluctant to show it to me. They first said the oil pan was still off and thy were waiting for parts but I was insistent to see it. When I saw it the pan was on it it was off the lift and they already had a new cam and cam plate installed. I hadn't even told them what cam I had settled on yet. It looked like new hose clamps on the oil cooler and I saw fingerprints on the oil pan but that doesn't mean anything.
They put SE 211 cams in but said if I wanted something else they would change them. It does seem rushed to me and I don't know what to do at this point.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 11:02:58 AM »

Two lane

I hear you. I have tried to be diligent in seeing what they are doing every step of the way because I have the same concerns. The two hour drive is killing me.
When I took it to them I had to feel some satisfaction in what they had to say or I wasn't going to leave it. I insisted I see the crank run out my self and they did accommodate me. The run out was 4 thousands, I was happy with the fact I didn't think the crank was tweaked. I did not see for myself them use a caliper on the case but o will say the the bearing hole looked OK to the eye and there was still a ridge at the back of the hole. They were suppose to check it for true round and to see if it was worn oversize at all but I don't know they did.
Yesterday when I checked the bike they were reluctant to show it to me. They first said the oil pan was still off and thy were waiting for parts but I was insistent to see it. When I saw it the pan was on it it was off the lift and they already had a new cam and cam plate installed. I hadn't even told them what cam I had settled on yet. It looked like new hose clamps on the oil cooler and I saw fingerprints on the oil pan but that doesn't mean anything.
They put SE 211 cams in but said if I wanted something else they would change them. It does seem rushed to me and I don't know what to do at this point.

So, without regard to what their intent might be, they've first done a failed job that led to a major failure than lied to you (repeatedly) about the options you'd be given then the status of the repairs to accomplish a fix. 

It's your bike of course.  So take this for nothing other than another's paranoia.  But I'd demand the cam chest be opened back again and I be allowed to inspect what's in there.  Up to and including feeling the cam bearings press in the holes.  For all you know they were trying to hide the ongoing state of the current repair from you because they were cutting corners and/or filling out the engine with used parts left over from WillieG knows where.

Good luck man.  Really.  But nothing about this gives me the warm fuzzies.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 01:40:02 PM »

Two lane

So...after telling you the pan was still off and they were waiting for parts...what did they say when you saw none of this was true?  If the cam chest was buttoned up, what parts are/were they waiting for?  Or was that also b.s.?  And they installed a cam, even though you had been told they would install a cam of your choice, and you had not yet chosen a cam.

I'd ask them to stop any further work and I'd ask for a private meeting with the service manager and GM.  I'd reconstruct all that has transpired since the original build for the GM, highlighting the issues that are of concern (make notes first if you need to...).  Be clear that you have concerns about the misinformation that seems prevalent.  And be clear that you have concerns about the condition of the cases (particularily the cam bearing bores), the scored flywheels, the potential for bottom end bearing damage (case bearings and rod bearings) and contamination, particularily contamination in the piston jets.  I would request a complete teardown, including splitting the cases, so all the potential damage areas can be inspected.  I would request to inspect all the pieces once torn down, and be given the opportunity to ask questions, prior to reassembly occuring.  Be clear that you will hold them responsible it this build fails prematurely.  It would be nice to get a guarantee in writing, but you won't get one.  A clear eyeball to eyeball commitment is likely the best you can hope for.

Being this far along with the dealer, all you can hope for is you can get their attention and try to make them take you more seriously.  They need to care as much about the work they are performing as you do...  They need to understand that to a customer such as yourself, honest and accurate communication along the way is just as important as the end result of the build.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Diese1nut

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 03:49:32 PM »

Thank you for your replies.
Meeting with the GM and Service manager is exactly what I need to do.

I actually took the oil pump apart my self on my tailgate because I was afraid I wouldn't get the truth. There were two fairly large chips in there and it was scored up pretty good. So I'm not real confident the oil pan was as clean as he said. He tried to tell me the scoring in the oil pump wasn't that bad. OMG is any scoring in an oil pump acceptable, I don't think so.

Yesterday the cam cover was still off as they are waiting for a new one and I did inspect the new cam plate, cams, and oil pump. It all looked new and he even gave me back the old ones he took out.

I had explained to him on Thursday when I took the bike there I had already been to two other dealers and R&R Cycles for their opinion. After they all inspected what I had they all said the same thing the cases needed to come apart. That is the only true way to do it right. But are they capable if they go that far?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 04:12:38 PM »

I had explained to him on Thursday when I took the bike there I had already been to two other dealers and R&R Cycles for their opinion. After they all inspected what I had they all said the same thing the cases needed to come apart. That is the only true way to do it right. But are they capable if they go that far?

If not in house they can farm the work out.  They won't want to pay someone else.  But that's their problem (if you force them to accept the responsibility they've promised to accept). 

How diligent you force them to be is of course your choice.  But these things aren't cars where if an engine fails you at worst scrub some rubber or more likely coast to the side of the road.  Lock an engine up on a bike on the highway and unless you're quick on the clutch you're hurt or dead. 

I'd hate to put my ass in the hands of the people you've described so far.  Circumstances may dictate the necessity.  Based on nothing more than their described behavior so far you need to be incredibly proactive with this shop.

vtfast

• 2011 Road King Classic
  • If you can't fix it, figure it out then fix it!
Re: WTF 103 Update
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 04:25:04 AM »

Where in NH are you from?  I live in Allenstown which is in between Concord & Manchester.  Just got my bike back from the Manchester dealership today.  I had issues with Heritage in Concord so I tried another dealership.  If you need a hand with anything send a PM.  Good luck with your situation, I hope your dealer steps up to the plate to help you out.  I have over 50K on my bike and I'm trying to learn as much as possible so I can just avoid taking it anyplace but my own garage.  I wish I could find a decent mechanic in our area that could handle our needs without all the BS.

Good Luck

Lived up there 8 years, neither dealer there have I ever heard good things about. Be careful....
BigBoyz head porting.
Home ported / smoothed intake.
Andrews 54H cams.
SE air filter.
SERT
Stock pushrods
SuperTrap true duals, will be changing over to Fulsac after I am done playing with the SERT.
Dynojet Power Vision hooked up, handy for real time data. Owners manual, oh wait a minute, they don't have one with it!
Tried the S&S 551 cams, hated them!
30 tooth sprocket is in the works.

Ohio phil

• C-YA
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 05:46:43 AM »

WOW !!!   Thats a tough one, I always use whoever is doing the work there advice on repairs and not try and tell them what I want, but what do they use in a performance package and talk to the guy doing the job and see if he is confident in the plan we have, if not use he's advice or go some were else.........      
So now you need the mechanic, GM and owner in that meeting !!! :(

Diese1nut

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 07:30:08 AM »

I have put everything in writing and I am hand delivering copies to the GM and Svc Mgr. today. I am requesting a meeting with both and the tech.

This sucks.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 11:01:39 AM »

Diese1nut,

I'm sending a PM as I'm going through a serious issue through the same dealership.  For those that are not aware we have some lousy choices where we live to have our bikes serviced.  I have tried the same ones previously mentioned and decided that I will stick to the best of the worst and keep track of paper work and insist that the bike be handled professionally.  I took posesion of mine last Thursday which was the second time it was in for being stuck in first when cold.  This was the second time and when all was said and done the guy said since we are still working on your original $50.0 copay for the same issue as the last visit you owe us nothing, unfortunately after installing a new actuator kit it still does the same thing, have a nice day.  I figured that they had some sort of miscommunication and it would be fine.  Went for my first ride on Saturday afternoon and it was stuck in first again until it was really warmed up.  So now I'm back with the same issue and no place to go. 

R&R gave gave you good advice on opening the cases,  I have heard good things about R&R but I do know that Reggie does not like the 110'' and has often stated that he gets better results with other HD motors. 

What we need is a HD Dude up our way.  Without good service and few choices many of us are moving on to different brands. 

I hope things work out for you.

Ray G.

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »

I would definitely demand they split the cases. 

If you went to this dealer just off the street as a paying customer and asked for advice as to what to do, what do you think they would recommend?  I'll guarantee you they would say split the cases and we'll gladly take your money.

This motor's going to be a time bomb unless it's done right.
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

Diese1nut

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 02:38:12 PM »

I just came from dealer. I told them not to go any further until I meet with both managers. I delivered a detailed written discription of my concerns. I was told I needed to make an appointment. I explained that was stated in the letter. I expect to here from them by tomorrow I hope.

Diese1nut

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 08:15:10 PM »

Well I got a call this morning from the dealer and I had a meeting with the GM and service manager. I have to say the GM was very accommodating. Very nice guy. He understood my concerns and basically said he would do what ever I wanted to make me happy. They understood that I didn't trust that the main bearings would be clean and that I was worried about debris in the sump.

So they are going to pull the motor and split the cases. The plan is to inspect everything and install all new bearings and rebuild it. I still need to decide on a set of cams and we also talked about a thinner head gasket.

When the motor is apart I will be able to inspect everything myself and hopefully it will need just bearings. Hopefully I am on the right track to get this done right.

Updates to come.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 21 queries.