Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: ESP Claim Denial  (Read 2711 times)

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Re: ESP Claim Denial
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 03:10:43 PM »

Sorry to hear about your troubles Roger.  Hope you get it back on the road soon!  :2vrolijk_21: These conversations about ESPs are enlightening.  Just when I'm a the cusp of purchasing one, this stuff comes up.  Guess the big guy upstairs is giving me a clue....  :coolblue:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 03:25:12 PM »

In Mother Harley's twisted logic they can probably do some math and conjure a way that declining quality (and it's attendant high costs passed to the ESP) is a good thing.  Can easily imagine internal debates wherein a case is made that if people stop buying ES contracts they'll buy new bikes more often.

Maybe so but they should change their logic. Who wants to buy a new bike every couple years & deal with all the headaches & trips to the dealer because of poor quality? ... not me. Mother Harley should find another way to save a buck besides skimping on cost of parts. If it were me, I would spend the extra dough on quality parts, build a good reliable bike & have the same customers for life. Their way of thinking is definately pushing repeat customers off to other manufacturers.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »

If I may ask, what is the name of this ESP company.  I have found in autos all such companies are not created equal.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 04:08:17 PM »

So sorry to hear about this Roger. Hope you get some help in the end. Hang in there.

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 04:21:38 PM »

HD-DUDE you talk about other warrantee companies that you haven't had problems with could you possibly share the good ones with us.
Thanks for all your help on this site

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »

So sorry to hear about this Roger. Hope you get some help in the end. Hang in there.
Terry, I'm getting something in the end, but it doesn't feel like help  :o

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »

:huepfenlol2:

At least lubed I hope.....Sorry pal....

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 09:04:53 PM »

HD-DUDE you talk about other warrantee companies that you haven't had problems with could you possibly share the good ones with us.
Thanks for all your help on this site

This is the HD ESP which is contracted to CNA or Western. This has been by far the best company to work with in the past.

justplainjim

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 09:04:44 AM »

Trapperdog, since your claim was denied and your mods are on record with the ESP co.  is your policy not considered void?
I just purchased a 5 year policy a couple of weeks ago and am not happy reading this.  I have minimal mods, air cleaner, Rinehart, and fuel pack.
Are these policies refundable?

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 09:18:09 AM »

Question:  If they cover your bike, with full disclosure in advance of any modifications; can they still deny later?  Did they require that information when you bought the ESP? :nixweiss:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 09:30:57 AM »

If the ESP company "voids" the contract, then they should be required to refund a prorated portion of the cost of the contract.  However, my understanding is they will refer you to the selling dealer to initiate the refund process, and you are unlikely to receive a refund of the amounts that constitute the commissions that the MoCo and the dealership rake off the top.  In other words, if you are halfway through a five year contract, don't expect to get back half of what you paid for that contract.

Regardless, I'd insist on a refund anyway, even if it's a tiny percentage.  Why let them keep profits they didn't earn?

Considering all the people with the exact same contract who have received ESP repairs with much more in terms of modifications than just a set of mufflers and a tuner, I have to believe someone with a lot of money and time and determination could prevail in a court of law.  I'm pretty sure there has to be some legal requirement for them to treat every customer equally, rather than arbitrarily as in this case.  But who really wants to be the guinea pig?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 10:35:31 AM »

Just guessing at this point , but I believe that it's just the power train that will not be covered for the remainder of the contract. If that is not true, than I of course will start the refund process however it will not be much. On previous HD's that we sold before the ESP contract had expired we did receive a refund. Unfortunately, having purchased the contracts at the time of bike purchase, they considered it a 7 year contract and deducted accordingly. As I also purchased this contract with the bike and  only have 1 year and 1 month remaining I would just assume keep it if other bike parts are still covered. I do not know the refund policy works if you purchased the contract at the end of the factory warrantee. I will be asking them many questions after I hear back from the lawyer.
Until this point the contract has served me well on this bike. Repairs covered have been triple the cost of the contract. I can't say that for our '07 FHLX though

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 12:38:12 PM »

Just wondering out loud here...If the OP has had drive train related problems in the past, with several claims, I wonder if that has anything to do with them doing a more detailed inspection?

I think Jim has a VERY valid point:  With all the issues HD is having with their engines, the ESP companies are probably not making the long term profits they used to make off these plans, and may be looking for reasons to deny coverage.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 01:14:20 PM »

Just wondering out loud here...If the OP has had drive train related problems in the past, with several claims, I wonder if that has anything to do with them doing a more detailed inspection?

I think Jim has a VERY valid point:  With all the issues HD is having with their engines, the ESP companies are probably not making the long term profits they used to make off these plans, and may be looking for reasons to deny coverage.
Nothing major. The power/drive train ESP coverage was previously limited to: 2 compensator's, 2 inner primary bearings, primary chain, primary chain tensioner, shifter shaft seal, barrel base "gasket" and I don't remember if the reamed clutch basket hub was in there too. Standard HD warrantee included rings, inner primary bearing and cam chain tensioner. None of the forementioned includes non power/drive train repairs.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 05:21:37 PM »

Had a similar issue with a simple thing like a K&N air filter installation on my GMC Denali. The stupid catalytic coverter went bad (check engine light warning) right at the end of the original emissions items warranty period. One dealership refused to cover the thing through GMC since the intake system had been 'modified'. I took it to a second one and they didn't blink an eye. Deep down in the legal blah blah it did state that 'modifications void the original warranty" but Service manager said that no way would this cause cat convertor to fail, more like the crap gas additives we have in CA. Anyway, he went to bat with GMC and they covered the $1200 for convertor replacement. What a nightmare this chit is. :nixweiss:  :soapbox:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.