Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: CHP going back to Harley Davidson  (Read 6677 times)

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
CHP going back to Harley Davidson
« on: August 05, 2013, 05:49:16 PM »

Went to Oakland HD to kill some time last week, and saw this on display:

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

Re: CHP going back to Harley Davidson
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 05:50:59 PM »

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 05:51:56 PM »

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:16:49 PM »

I spoke with the owner, who said California was not satisfied using BMW anymore.  THE COST TO MAINTAIN THE BMWs WAS PROHIBITIVE.  Apparently, the Beemers were having transmission issues, along with other problems, and they were too expensive to maintain.  CA tested several bikes for reliability, including Kawasaki.  They found the HD with the 103 to be the most reliable and cheapest to maintain.

Besides the CHP lights and electronics, the only changes to the bike were the upgraded forks, CVO adjustable shocks, and the 255 cam.  The owner said that the state testers found no need for additional cooling, like a fan or oil cooler.

I'm surprised and pleased that Harley Davidson won this "real world" comparison.  I wonder how Victory or the new Indians would have done?  I'm sure that dealer support and availability of experienced mechanics had a big impact.

The owner said they shipped out 125 of these bikes two weeks ago, so California riders, beware.  You might be seeing this in your rear view mirrors with its lights flashing:

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 07:12:38 PM »

I spoke with the owner, who said California was not satisfied using BMW anymore.  THE COST TO MAINTAIN THE BMWs WAS PROHIBITIVE.  Apparently, the Beemers were having transmission issues, along with other problems, and they were too expensive to maintain.  CA tested several bikes for reliability, including Kawasaki.  They found the HD with the 103 to be the most reliable and cheapest to maintain.

Besides the CHP lights and electronics, the only changes to the bike were the upgraded forks, CVO adjustable shocks, and the 255 cam.  The owner said that the state testers found no need for additional cooling, like a fan or oil cooler.

I'm surprised and pleased that Harley Davidson won this "real world" comparison.  I wonder how Victory or the new Indians would have done?  I'm sure that dealer support and availability of experienced mechanics had a big impact.

The owner said they shipped out 125 of these bikes two weeks ago, so California riders, beware.  You might be seeing this in your rear view mirrors with its lights flashing:

Left Coast says...........they would be honored    :nervous:

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 07:40:01 PM »

Buy American  :pepper: :2vrolijk_21: :pepper:

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 07:57:28 PM »

Wonder if they will remove the c..    ....well you know...
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 08:16:50 PM »

Great to read!   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 08:28:20 PM »

Hopefully it catches on!!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 09:41:54 PM »

Wonder if they will remove the c..    ....well you know...

I've wondered the same thing about police models, do they have the same exhaust as "civilian" models?

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 11:11:51 PM »

I've wondered the same thing about police models, do they have the same exhaust as "civilian" models?

Yes, I think they have the same exhaust as civilian bikes. I know some PDs like Oakland have changed their mufflers to D&D Police Interceptor slip ons.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 01:54:50 AM »

Don't know if it's true, but I have heard that some of the CHPers modify their bikes at their own expense.  :policeman: I'm pretty sure the "c" would be one of the first things to go.  Those polyester looking uniforms look like they're awfully hot...  :sweatdrop:

RollinCode3

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 10:39:17 AM »

Partially true. Yes the BMW was cost prohibitive, but that's because the typical motor had 100k+ miles on them. The issues that the motors were having were related to mileage more than any other factor, in my opinion.

The CHP evaluation did not include the Kawasaki, as Kawasaki Authority Sales doesn't currently sell motorcycles that are intended for police use. They were discontinued last year, and have yet to resume sales. Keep in mind, in 2012, Kawasaki Authority Sales was the choice of the CHP, but due to a dealer being unable to fulfill the terms of the contract, a 2013 RFP was sent out.

The 2013 RFP was declined by BMW (they declined to work with the state of CA). Honda doesn't meet the requirements of the CHP. Victory doesn't meet the requirements of the CHP. Kawasaki is unable to sell police motors. So that left Harley, who bid $1 per year for a lease. California must choose the lowest bidder that meets the requirements. Because of Harley being the only bidder, even though they didn't meet the requirements out of the gate, the state modified the requirements to allow Harley to meet them.

A large number of the CHP motors are quite disappointed with this change, and it's going to drastically change how a CHP motor does their job. Due to performance limitations, fewer speeding tickets will be given, and more cell phone, DUI, registration, loud pipe, etc stops will be made.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:43:33 AM by RollinCode3 »

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 10:48:08 AM »

...Due to performance limitations, fewer speeding tickets will be given, and more cell phone, DUI, registration, loud pipe, etc stops will be made.

Sounds like a win-win(except for the pipes).  :2vrolijk_21:
Big Lew
IBA #595

20 gauge

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 03 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: 07 FXDSE2
    • CVO3: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 12:58:06 PM »

Would love to see statistics regarding maintaining a fleet of 110 cu. in. engines. Realize a public entity is not going to buy Screamin Eagles.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.