Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Commuter bike?  (Read 6801 times)

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
Commuter bike?
« on: September 01, 2013, 09:40:26 PM »

Tiring on riding my big bike (UltraCVO) on the 405 freeway here in SoCal in horrible traffic, thinking of picking up yet another bike to commute with.
Have used my Vespa GTS300 Super but when roads are wide open i am full throttle and really pushing that little engine.

Need something that handle amazing and also squeeze through the cars for lane splitting in the narrowest of places, and enough power to handle 85 plus on the freeway, plus climbing up and down a mountain hill.
 Have been thinking something like an older Dyna (perhaps a Low Rider) or maybe even a Sportster 883 Low (the specs make it sound like it handles great at low speed, which may be required), or even maybe a Triumph Bonneville, but I question comfort and handling on that bike. Test rode recently and found position weird and steering not as nimble as i had hoped.

Thoughts?

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
Re: Commuter bike?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:45:37 PM »

Here's what my wife rides... 2012 Ninja 650. There's not a more nimble scooter on the road.

She just LOVES that little thing. She's ridden it all over North Georgia and NC. She even got a TICKET on it on the Tail of the Dragon this Spring!

We bought almost new, with 85 miles on it... For $6000.

Ken
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 09:48:29 PM by North Georgia Hawg »

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:55:01 PM »

If you are looking for something smaller consider a Honda 750. One of the best commuting bike ever is the old LAPD Kz1000 Police bike. Nimble, quick, handles well, good brakes, comes with bags and fairing. Best of all cars will make space when they see you coming up in traffic. All of this I can attest to!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 08:55:55 AM »

I'd love to get a V-Strom for commuting.
The best you've had is the best you know.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 09:15:31 AM »

If you are looking for something smaller consider a Honda 750. One of the best commuting bike ever is the old LAPD Kz1000 Police bike. Nimble, quick, handles well, good brakes, comes with bags and fairing. Best of all cars will make space when they see you coming up in traffic. All of this I can attest to!

+1, I had one last year and it was fun to ride. You can pick them up for cheap and all parts are available.

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 02:39:15 PM »

Go to Irv Seaver's in City of Orange or Long Beach BMW to test ride:

The new BMW F 800 R is definitely the hottest naked bike around. Three words best describe the F 800 R: light, agile and fast. This cool and sexy roadster offers the perfect combination of highway riding with a high degree of maneuverability for everyday urban use. And the F 800 R's 798 cc, two-cylinder engine doesn't just look good, it sounds good too.  The F 800 R with 87 horsepower and an impressive 63 foot pound of torque, offers excellent ridability. Great ergonomics mixed with a firm chassis and a perfectly balanced geometry round off this cool package. The F 800 R is great in the city, stable on the highway, and agile on the backroads.  Standard ABS is welcome too, as are other features such as hot accessories and intelligent luggage solutions.

Both of those dealers provide a loaner for whenever you need to leave your bike at 6,000 mile service intervals.
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:34:47 PM »

According to this video I found, it doesn't sound like it would work, as it loses stability above 75, and here in CA, that is slightly too slow for freeway use

Go to Irv Seaver's in City of Orange or Long Beach BMW to test ride:

The new BMW F 800 R is definitely the hottest naked bike around. Three words best describe the F 800 R: light, agile and fast. This cool and sexy roadster offers the perfect combination of highway riding with a high degree of maneuverability for everyday urban use. And the F 800 R's 798 cc, two-cylinder engine doesn't just look good, it sounds good too.  The F 800 R with 87 horsepower and an impressive 63 foot pound of torque, offers excellent ridability. Great ergonomics mixed with a firm chassis and a perfectly balanced geometry round off this cool package. The F 800 R is great in the city, stable on the highway, and agile on the backroads.  Standard ABS is welcome too, as are other features such as hot accessories and intelligent luggage solutions.

Both of those dealers provide a loaner for whenever you need to leave your bike at 6,000 mile service intervals.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 10:50:23 PM »

Tiring on riding my big bike (UltraCVO) on the 405 freeway here in SoCal in horrible traffic, thinking of picking up yet another bike to commute with.
Have used my Vespa GTS300 Super but when roads are wide open i am full throttle and really pushing that little engine.

Need something that handle amazing and also squeeze through the cars for lane splitting in the narrowest of places, and enough power to handle 85 plus on the freeway, plus climbing up and down a mountain hill.
 Have been thinking something like an older Dyna (perhaps a Low Rider) or maybe even a Sportster 883 Low (the specs make it sound like it handles great at low speed, which may be required), or even maybe a Triumph Bonneville, but I question comfort and handling on that bike. Test rode recently and found position weird and steering not as nimble as i had hoped.

Thoughts?

There are many to chose from.
Here is the one I would pick.
If the vacation home in Maggie Valley wasn't calling I would have one of these.
An awesome bike!

http://www.ktm.com/us/naked-bike/690-duke-eu/highlights.html#.UiafVNKsiSo

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 11:14:14 PM »

Although I don't commute, I have a V strom to make quick runs with as well as long distance touring. I've lane split behind a CHP at 65, run it up and down curbs, sidewalks, had it up to 120 GPS and have done a bunch of off roading. You just need to decide what's going to suit your needs best.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 01:06:43 AM »

What about going vintage and finding an old FXR?

Trimster

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 99 FXR2
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 07:02:36 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:
Al

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 11:06:25 AM »

+1 on this.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 11:17:48 AM »

My other bike is a BMW R1200 GS. It is literally the Swiss army knife of bikes, that thing will do anything I ask of it. Nowhere near as comfortable for long hauls as my SEUC but it can go places the Harley isn't suited for. I don't do serious off-roading on it anymore but it will take the forest service roads and trails in stride. It is also much very stable at reasonable speeds as long as it's not overloaded with camping gear, made that mistake once.

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 03:27:59 AM »

Perhaps those of you not in California aren't getting it.

I don't need a commuter bike for off roading, not riding on sidewalks, i need something that can handle as well as my Vespa, can handle very slow tight maneuvers well, fit very well between cars, and have enough power for when the Freeways are not bogged down with traffic to climb uphill with ease at full speed.

Keeping in mind we can split lanes here...finding the right bike for the 405 freeway, which is absolutely horribly bumpy and pieced together, always under construction, just about always in very heavy traffic... This isvthe challenge...

kr

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 05:04:37 AM »

I commuted on a Nightster for several years. It obviously is a long way from a Vespa.  However, I found a sporster to be exceptionally easy to handle.  It needed a set of Progressives and a Corbin to be comfortable, but that was all.  You'd be visible in traffic on it.  Plus, you get to enjoy the sound and feel of a Harley every day.  I actually improved my skills on the SEEG as a result of daily practicing slow and tight moves on the Sportster.  Just my experience...
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 21 queries.