Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Engine Tick ???  (Read 5130 times)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Engine Tick ???
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 09:18:38 AM »

Here's what 23,000 miles on a 2011 CVO Streetglide looks like. Can you say lifter about to let go?

That blemish on that would more likely be from those overly aggressive OE(Comp Cams, if I not mistaken) springs.
Out of curiosity, what flavor of oil are you using?
Scott

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »

Here's what 23,000 miles on a 2011 CVO Streetglide looks like. Can you say lifter about to let go?

Its nothing more than poor lifter rollers. The 255 cam is not a high lift stick and the pressure on the nose is no where near enough to cause that in mileage.  Can you get better springs yes, better lifters ohh yea.

Add that to the fact that you see this with stock cams and springs on the 96 and 103 CI

So how did the new set up go??
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:35:29 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 11:56:04 PM »

Hi there Phato1 
Thanks for the info.
What kind of cam problem did u have.. just funny noise or ??? All I have is the Ticking about every 1/2 sec at about 2k rpms(1800 and 2400 rpms). I am afraid since there is no performance issue with the bike the dealer may not want to do anything but its worth a shot.. They will get their money regardless.

Please keep us up dated
                         Jonnierock

wildmannnn

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 03:43:19 PM »

Took my FXSTSSE3 in for 10k and check the noise which I didn't expect to hear anything about from the mechanic since the all the techs told me of similar noise and don't worry about it.. lo and behold 2 techs are telling me my noise isn't normal so they are goin break it down to see whats goin on. Ill update when I get anything back......

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 07:06:48 PM »

That blemish on that would more likely be from those overly aggressive OE(Comp Cams, if I not mistaken) springs.
Out of curiosity, what flavor of oil are you using?
Scott
Been using Mobil 1 since after the first oil change.

It now has new S & S lifters.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 07:54:39 PM »

Took my FXSTSSE3 in for 10k and check the noise which I didn't expect to hear anything about from the mechanic since the all the techs told me of similar noise and don't worry about it.. lo and behold 2 techs are telling me my noise isn't normal so they are goin break it down to see whats goin on. Ill update when I get anything back......

At least they acknowledged that there is something "not normal" and that is a good thing.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

wildmannnn

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 08:46:08 PM »

Attached is a pic of the cam out of my 2009 FXSTSSE3. with 10100 miles . Tech at Thunderbird HD in ABQ NM listened to noise I had told him about and he knew immediately something was wrong. ESP is covering the replacement cam chest,,,,TG

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 09:14:20 PM »

Attached is a pic of the cam out of my 2009 FXSTSSE3. with 10100 miles . Tech at Thunderbird HD in ABQ NM listened to noise I had told him about and he knew immediately something was wrong. ESP is covering the replacement cam chest,,,,TG

I think your timing was very spot on and lucky!  Good that your dealership tech agreed and pulled it apart...  Good for you!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twism_23

• Senior CVO Member
    • MB

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE CHARRED STEEL LIGHTENING SILVER
    • CVO2: 2009 FXSTSSE3 COBALT BLUE
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 10:54:47 PM »

Wow, I'm glad you took it in and they found this. I have the same bike with almost the exact same mileage, I took my cams out last week to install some Kury 24D's and they were almost perfect. Lifters were the same way, replaced them with S&S premiums. It's odd how different each engine is. Glad this all worked out for you! Hope you're on the road soon and safe riding!
2019 FLHXSE FM 128, Wood 22X-E, SE 64mm TB, 5.5 inj., D&D Billet Cat, Aim SDR, Legend  Revo-A, 12” F47, SE Vent. Extreme, SR Comp Ramp, Rekluse Slave

2009 FXSTSSE3, V&H PP, Exile open Primary, 14" Carlini, Danny Grey Shorthop 2 Up XL, HPI 51mm w/4.9 Injectors, Power Vision, AV&V Springs and Valves, Kury TC24D Cams, 10.2 Comp

2017 RGS - FM 124, SE 64mm TB 6.3 inj, Feuling 521, S&S Lifters & Oil pump & Cam plate, AIM SDR, F47 12", D&D Billet Cat,Corbin Classic Solo, 21" Aggressor

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 01:39:01 AM »

That pic shows exactly how valuable the combined experience is on this forum.   :2vrolijk_21:
If you want peace, prepare for war.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 07:01:13 AM »

Seen that, and worse, here many times in those.
Scott

wildmannnn

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 10:57:47 AM »

Thanks for all the input peoples.. Yes CVO Forums saved the day for me. Listening to most of the HD folks (about 7 at 2 different dealers) Im pretty sure it would have grenaded.. Cause they all told me 'as long as your not losing power ,don't worry about it, just ride it'. I think HD must have more than 1 contractor forging or cutting and tempering these older model CVO cams. Opinions are that mine were not tempered properly.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 11:14:13 AM »

covering the cam chest is only part of the deal. That metal has gone through the piston jet oilers, rod bearings, and is in the bottom of the oil pan as well.. That is the sticky part tracking down the metal and removing it from the system under warranty.. On ESP we have not had any issues with getting that extra labor taken care of.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 12:01:26 PM »

covering the cam chest is only part of the deal. That metal has gone through the piston jet oilers, rod bearings, and is in the bottom of the oil pan as well.. That is the sticky part tracking down the metal and removing it from the system under warranty.. On ESP we have not had any issues with getting that extra labor taken care of.
Yep, one thing for sure. Now there is metal everywhere, I mean everywhere. Make sure that is addressed. Replace or inspect everything.

BigLew

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 06:47:43 PM »

Yep, one thing for sure. Now there is metal everywhere, I mean everywhere. Make sure that is addressed. Replace or inspect everything.

BigLew

It seems like your dealer is going to take care of you. I would ask them to drop the oil pan and pull the rocker covers to try and clean as much of the debris out as they can, might want to think of at least flushing the oil cooler also - if not replacing it.

Another thing is to ask if they will put in the latest Screamin' Eagle tappets, and perhaps the "full complement" Screamin' Eagle cam bearings while they are in there.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 22 queries.