Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Engine Tick ???  (Read 5138 times)

wildmannnn

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

Engine Tick ???
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:08:39 PM »

Any body else have any engine tick noise with their CVO. I just purchased a 2009 FXSTSSE3 with about 8k on it. I have put about 2k on since I bught it in Feb. I now have a ping about every 1/2 second . sounds like there is a little demon tapping the engine with a small hammer. HD told me 'they all do that; don't worry about it' I ride pretty hard ,,, but that is why I bought a SE.....  Any body have any input... thanks

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Engine Tick ???
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:27:21 PM »

Any body else have any engine tick noise with their CVO. I just purchased a 2009 FXSTSSE3 with about 8k on it. I have put about 2k on since I bught it in Feb. I now have a ping about every 1/2 second . sounds like there is a little demon tapping the engine with a small hammer. HD told me 'they all do that; don't worry about it' I ride pretty hard ,,, but that is why I bought a SE.....  Any body have any input... thanks

You'd be wise to inspect/replace your lifters - sooner rather than later.  I'd suggest installing S&S premium performance lifters - S&S part number 330-0175.

http://www.sscycle.com/go-fast-showcase/motorcycle-engine-components/premium-high-performance-tappets/

If you're unfamiliar with lifter issues in 110 motors, do a search of the site and you'll find plenty of reading on the topic. 

I'd also suggest replacing your stock inner cam bearings with Torrington B-168 full compliment bearings.

One of these area's is the likely source of the new noise you are hearing in your motor...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

wildmannnn

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »

Thank you Sadunbar for the info. Since the bikes under warranty .. do u think the dealer would do the work now or should I run it until it blows up?????

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 10:02:08 PM »

If you have a warranty on the bike I would get the complaint documented now. What's the warranty? ESP or just dealers used bike warranty? Not that it makes much difference.  Try and get the dealership to investigate the noise further.  I'm certain you'll find sadunbar's guidance to be spot on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 11:36:42 PM »

When I was having some "start issues" I got many opinions but sadunbar's was dead on!
Alan

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 12:01:03 AM »

It would take you less time to change lifters than to read everything about Harley lifters. Change 'em and the tick goes away :bananarock:
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 07:00:43 AM »

You'd be wise to inspect/replace your lifters - sooner rather than later.  I'd suggest installing S&S premium performance lifters - S&S part number 330-0175.

http://www.sscycle.com/go-fast-showcase/motorcycle-engine-components/premium-high-performance-tappets/

If you're unfamiliar with lifter issues in 110 motors, do a search of the site and you'll find plenty of reading on the topic. 

I'd also suggest replacing your stock inner cam bearings with Torrington B-168 full compliment bearings.

One of these area's is the likely source of the new noise you are hearing in your motor...   :2vrolijk_21:

Good advice! :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 07:55:03 AM »

Hate to  :jack: but the bearings are for 2012 and older, correct? I thought I read on here somewhere that '13 and up had the bearing issue fixed.
T-MAN 117 kit

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 08:38:20 AM »

Hate to  :jack: but the bearings are for 2012 and older, correct? I thought I read on here somewhere that '13 and up had the bearing issue fixed.

You are correct the 2013 CVO bearings where updated.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

wildmannnn

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 10:27:23 AM »

Thanks everybody for all the in put .. I have the Harley warranty. So I will get it documented now or at the 10k service. Maybe HD OEM has a better replacement lifter ;cam bearings etc. now or at least I hope so cause under this warranty I doubt they would put anything aftermarket in ????

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »

The lifters were updated in 2013 as well, but the jury is still out on how good they work over time.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 06:58:17 PM »

Thanks everybody for all the in put .. I have the Harley warranty. So I will get it documented now or at the 10k service. Maybe HD OEM has a better replacement lifter ;cam bearings etc. now or at least I hope so cause under this warranty I doubt they would put anything aftermarket in ????

I had my cam chest rebuilt under warranty due to a lifter problem at @7400 miles and my dealer worked with me to replace both the cam bearings and the lifters with the latest Screamin' Eagle parts. I had to pay them the difference in cost between the "stock" parts and the Screamin' Eagle Performance ones. I had the "updated" 2013 lifters put in along with the full compliment cam bearings. 

I wouldn't wait to long before you try again to convince them to take a look. In spite of some dealers saying so, They all DON'T do that...
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

wildmannnn

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 07:29:49 PM »

Hi there Phato1 
Thanks for the info.
What kind of cam problem did u have.. just funny noise or ??? All I have is the Ticking about every 1/2 sec at about 2k rpms(1800 and 2400 rpms). I am afraid since there is no performance issue with the bike the dealer may not want to do anything but its worth a shot.. They will get their money regardless.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 07:46:26 PM »

Hi there Phato1 
Thanks for the info.
What kind of cam problem did u have.. just funny noise or ??? All I have is the Ticking about every 1/2 sec at about 2k rpms(1800 and 2400 rpms). I am afraid since there is no performance issue with the bike the dealer may not want to do anything but its worth a shot.. They will get their money regardless.

Precisely the issue I experienced. The bike ran fine  :nixweiss: just noisy at those specific RPM's.  The OE lifters had abnormal wear on one of them -- with metal loss - which got into the engine.

Further details on my experience here:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=84047.msg1126796#msg1126796

Admittedly my dealer is a good one  :2vrolijk_21:-

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 08:12:04 PM »

Here's what 23,000 miles on a 2011 CVO Streetglide looks like. Can you say lifter about to let go?

GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 20 queries.