Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29

Author Topic: Removing a Catalytic Converter form 09 CVO Road Glide  (Read 180613 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Removing a Catalytic Converter form 09 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #240 on: November 26, 2008, 09:37:59 PM »

Okay, it's time for me to stop thinking tonight and put my brain in holiday mode (how can I get in, eat, and get back out without having to talk to anyone?)  Anyway, I hope all of you have a great Thanksgiving.  BTW, I just had that bowl of cereal and it hit the spot.  Good idea Silver-Black.

AB

You worry to much.
Get out there and ride.
Or have some turkey!
Best to you man!

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #241 on: November 26, 2008, 09:49:06 PM »

Not really any worries, but my mufflers are gutted awaiting my Fullsac's, CAT is drilled, air cleaner on the shelf awaiting my MaxFlo, SERT sitting here in a box, and snow on the ground.  What better time to do any final tinkering with the exhaust?  I can't ride and everything else I'm doing needs the parts to arrive.  I think my final tinkering will be trying the mufflers with and without the insulation to decide which way I want to go.  If I'm real pleased with the sound with the insulation still in there, I think I'll just put her back together and wait for some dry weather.  I think I should be spending my down time looking into moving south, so I can ride all year without the fear of snowstorms.

eddfive

« Reply #242 on: November 30, 2008, 10:29:26 AM »

Can someone take a picture of the front header pipe CAT and the rear header pipe CAT.  I am trying to understand what is going on here but I do not have an 09.  My experience tells me that any restriction in the exhaust flow path will impact performance.  I would like to visually see exactly what everyone is describing.

Thanks

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #243 on: November 30, 2008, 10:50:40 AM »

Can someone take a picture of the front header pipe CAT and the rear header pipe CAT.  I am trying to understand what is going on here but I do not have an 09.  My experience tells me that any restriction in the exhaust flow path will impact performance.  I would like to visually see exactly what everyone is describing.

Thanks

There is only one CAT
It is in the collector part of the pipe.
See picture.
I have outlined approx. where it is in the collector.
I would agree with your statement above that I bolded!

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2008, 11:07:53 AM »

And if you drill a 1.6 hole from the right pipe thru the cat the rest of the cat still remains in the collector.
All though not as restricted as stock there still has to be restriction for the front cylinder exhaust to make all those turns as compared to the rear cylinder.
As far as backpressure is concerned that's the job of the mufflers.

JMHO

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

eddfive

« Reply #245 on: November 30, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »

Thanks for the detailed description.  I would think that there should be some differences then in the VE tables for tuning.  I have tuned a few, let me look at the data and see if it reveals anything unusual.  Looks like there is still some restriction so that would effect the tune to some degree.  If the tune is effected then performance would be held back a little as well.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #246 on: November 30, 2008, 09:43:02 PM »

Thanks for the detailed description.  I would think that there should be some differences then in the VE tables for tuning.  I have tuned a few, let me look at the data and see if it reveals anything unusual.  Looks like there is still some restriction so that would effect the tune to some degree.  If the tune is effected then performance would be held back a little as well.

Ed.. take a look at Rob's tune up>>> Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

eddfive

« Reply #247 on: December 01, 2008, 10:26:04 PM »

I looked at a lot of my data today and nothing jumps out as a restriction.  When tuning the cylinders will be balanced anyway.  Looking at many VE tables from all CVO bikes the SEST cd flash map really changes a lot after a complete tune no matter what exhaust is on the bike.  It is pretty hard to correlate anything to the exhaust.  What would be the best way to find out definitely if there is a restriction would be to do the tune with the single cat cut and muffler performance upgrade like what everybody has been talking and doing.  Then put on a stock header with no cats at all into the same performance mufflers and see what the tuning difference is and what the final number difference would be.  Of course this would need to be done on the same Dyno so the numbers could be compared exactly.  Sorry, I could not come up with good data to compare and correlate.  Having said all that if you are truly looking for maximum performance then a 2:1 header muffler is the way to go, but I understand the CVO "purist" want it to look completely as delivered from the factory and be a "sleeper".  Browsing the web today it looks like all of the Exhaust guys now have slip on performance mufflers for the 09 bikes.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #248 on: December 19, 2008, 07:32:08 AM »

BTW, another case in point on the right pipe being used more than the left is to look at the OEM baffles being pulled out of the bikes.  In my case, the left OEM baffle looked brand new while the right one clearly showed signs of heat and wear (this is most visible in the center where the exhaust changes direction).

The left side is only under a load when back pressure builds in the right pipe, which forces air to take the path of least resistance (e.g. the left 90 degree crossover).  When we swap the right side to free flow baffles we remove the majority of the back pressure.  This is why everyone sees such a remarkable difference in performance after installing Fullsac's and drilling the cat.  It was a night and day difference on my bike.  It was like I installed a different engine.  I'm consistently beating rice rockets on my bagger with zero engine mods :)

Then it would be senseless to get two performance cores , Only the right core is important , Is that the point ?
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Admiral

• My . Ol . Lady's . A Screaming Eagle !!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • >> SILVER BULLET <<

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • SJHR
« Reply #249 on: December 21, 2008, 10:29:42 AM »

Then it would be senseless to get two performance cores , Only the right core is important , Is that the point ?

What would happen if you put Fulsac 1.75 on the right and 2" on the left?

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #250 on: December 21, 2008, 03:12:31 PM »

I guess that the right pipe makes the sound because the german version has the right-sided-pipe open and the left is small . Hmmm .

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #251 on: December 26, 2008, 02:44:38 AM »

Does anyone know if the CC is pressed in or bonded to the pipe somehow ?  Just curious...

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #252 on: December 26, 2008, 03:27:26 AM »

I believe someone addressed this that had cut the exhaust in front of the converter and removed it in its' entirety.  You may want to look for posts with a photo of the converter completely removed or close to those posts.  It may be in this thread or it could be in the thread on "Installing Fullsac Baffles on 09 CVO".  I think I remember something about them being bonded somehow, but you'd have to find the post to be sure.

I just checked and cannot find anything that addressed the question you asked, so maybe I just think I saw it somewhere.

I just noticed your location on the map.  It looks like I passed right by you this afternoon (by mistake).  I was coming from State College heading to Monroeville, and I must have been daydreaming...or half asleep...and I forgot to exit to 22 West and continued south on I-99 and just continued on down until I hit the turnpike.  We seem to ride over your direction on a pretty regular basis in the nicer weather.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 03:41:28 AM by 1abastarsmda »

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #253 on: December 26, 2008, 03:45:35 AM »

The pic was from Texas 103 in the fullsac baffles thread http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28086.120.
 the other pics from Texas 103 in this http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=30862.0disappeared , HMm
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 04:22:53 AM by Highjagger »

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #254 on: December 26, 2008, 04:19:24 AM »

I located that pic, but I read the posts and didn't see anything about pressed in or bonded.  Maybe it was with one of the pics that disappeared, and maybe it wasn't my imagination after all.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 21 queries.