Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38

Author Topic: "FXR CHATTER"  (Read 120225 times)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
Re: "FXR CHATTER"
« Reply #210 on: December 08, 2008, 09:37:07 PM »

Nightship ....... WELCOME !!!!!!!!!!
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #211 on: December 08, 2008, 09:40:04 PM »

nightship9138                                                                                                                                                                  mike                                                                                                                                                                               51                                                                                                                                                                                  roanoke va                                                                                                                                                                     red fxr2                                                                                                                                                                         april of 1999                                                                                                                                                                   corbin seat,hooker headers,all the screaming eagle stuff,braided oil lines,chrome oil tank,landmark diamond spokes in front wheel,lots of other chrome.

nightship9138...Welcome to the site!   :2vrolijk_21:   Glad you have joined us!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #212 on: December 11, 2008, 05:13:54 PM »

I need a couple of part numbers .....

besides the S&S breather ... seems I read here somewhere about a metal one the HD makes to replace the stock plastic one .... anyone have a part number ?

I am going to replace the INA cam bearing with a torrington .....anyone know that part numbere ?

the bike is a 2000 FXR4 (1340 EVO)

Thanks,
Mikey
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

RedFXR2

« Reply #213 on: December 11, 2008, 05:30:07 PM »

Torrington B138.

Are you talking about the S&S direct replacement in steel for the HD plastic breather gear or the reed valve that goes in the same place?

The steel breather gear comes in standard size and .030" over.  Might need to wait till you get in there or consult a Tech.

http://www.sscycle.com/iframes/catalog50.php
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 05:36:21 PM by RedFXR2 »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #214 on: December 11, 2008, 06:10:44 PM »

Torrington B138.
Thanks

Are you talking about the S&S direct replacement in steel for the HD plastic breather gear or the reed valve that goes in the same place?
well, I thought that HD or someone made one out of metal that is like the gear driven plastic one
or did I just get it all wrong ..... S&S makes a direct replacement in steel ?  and they also offer the reed valve .......  DUH, OK, I think I got that now.....

so, do you have a recommendation for which one to install --- plastic, direct replacement in steel, or reed  ?

The steel breather gear comes in standard size and .030" over.  Might need to wait till you get in there or consult a Tech.
Since the engine has never been opened, why wouldn't I just need the 'standard bore' one, not .030"over ?

http://www.sscycle.com/iframes/catalog50.php
THANKS

Thanks for the quick response !!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:13:31 PM by fxr4mikey »
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #215 on: December 11, 2008, 06:36:53 PM »

besides the S&S breather ... seems I read here somewhere about a metal one the HD makes to replace the stock plastic one .... anyone have a part number ?

Mikey~~~~
Am I lost or is this what you are talking about?

Jims Breather Valve Gear W/ Elongated Oil Hole # 2337ST    07-14-2005   $71.00 of course this one was the "steel" version.

Are you talking about what I posted above in REPLY# 112 on page #8 here at FXR CHATTER?

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:39:44 PM by FXR2evo99 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #216 on: December 11, 2008, 06:49:12 PM »

Mikey~~~~

Jims Breather Valve Gear W/ Elongated Oil Hole # 2337ST    07-14-2005   $71.00 of course this one was the "steel" version.

Are you talking about what I posted above in REPLY# 112 on page #8 here at FXR CHATTER?

Regards,

Tim

Yes, you show the Jims version and I linked to the S&S model.  They're both essentially the same as the HD part, but made of steel instead of plastic.

Mikey, the other part I mentioned that would replace the toothed breather gear is the S&S reed valve.  Me, I'd just go with the steel geared version--I've read posts from Techs that claimed that the reed valve was too stiff and didn't allow anything to pass through--a problem of it's own.  On the other hand, some folks say they work fine.  Back to my original point, I've never heard anyone complain about the toothed steel units.

About the .030" over stuff.  From what I understand, the oversize is for high-mileage motors with wear/slop in that opening.  Or for motors that have been damaged by a failed plastic gear or lack of frequent oil changes.  I would doubt that your motor would need the oversize, but I'm not really in a position to definitely say.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #217 on: December 11, 2008, 06:58:57 PM »

Mikey~~~~

YES, That's the one !!!!!  Thank you !!!!!!!!!!

Man, I need more help than I thought   
:'(

Regards,

Tim

Tim - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   YES   that's the one !!!!

Man Thanks for seding me back in time   LOL

How am I ever gonna do this build .... I can't even remember where I read stuff !!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #218 on: December 11, 2008, 07:00:06 PM »

Yes, you show the Jims version and I linked to the S&S model.  They're both essentially the same as the HD part, but made of steel instead of plastic.

Mikey, the other part I mentioned that would replace the toothed breather gear is the S&S reed valve.  Me, I'd just go with the steel geared version--I've read posts from Techs that claimed that the reed valve was too stiff and didn't allow anything to pass through--a problem of it's own.  On the other hand, some folks say they work fine.  Back to my original point, I've never heard anyone complain about the toothed steel units.

About the .030" over stuff.  From what I understand, the oversize is for high-mileage motors with wear/slop in that opening.  Or for motors that have been damaged by a failed plastic gear or lack of frequent oil changes.  I would doubt that your motor would need the oversize, but I'm not really in a position to definitely say.

OK, I'm going with the steel geared version

Man I love you guys !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for being here !!!!!!!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #219 on: December 11, 2008, 07:05:17 PM »

Here are some Modifications that I have discussed here on the board for anyone interested:

Topic: FXR2 Replacement Of 21" Front Wheel to 19" Front Wheel & Attachment Of Saddlebag
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=29535.0

Topic: 1999 FXR2 Arresting Red~~> Handle Bar & Front PM Brake Caliper Modification
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=22360.0;all

Topic: Rocker box gaskets-FXR  (Great Topic On Replacement Of Rocker Cover Gaskets)
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=1049.0;all

Regards,

Tim

Tim - I sent a note to the admin requesting that the rocker box gasket thread be made into a sticky on our board.  Thanks for all your effort in putting that together !!!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #220 on: December 11, 2008, 07:21:47 PM »

Mikey....

Glad to help....it was actually Mike (REDFXR2) that had everything to do with that THREAD, I merely provided part numbers about which gaskets I feel work best based upon other's experiences along with a few photos....LOL...it's like KODAK says a photo is worth a 1,000 words, and with my ability to type....that's a VERRRRY GOOD THING....LOL.

and I know what you mean about trying to find stuff....I KNEW I had posted that photo of the Jim's Tool's Steel Breather Valve...and it took me 10 minutes to find it....and it was right here in this THREAD!!!! DUHHHHH LOL
 :bananarock:
Regards,

Tim

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #221 on: December 11, 2008, 10:17:22 PM »

Not to butt into your conversation, but....

Actually, it is both the instructions with the pushrods and the instructions with the lifters you need to pay attention to. 

The pushrod instructions will tell you just what you stated - how many threads per inch they have and how much distance each revolution moves the adjuster.

The lifter instructions will tell you how much pushrod movement is needed to properly adjust to the lifter.  No - all lifters do not require the same amount of adjustment.  For example the S&S limited travel lifters required a different amount of adjustment vs. the standard S&S lifter....

Sadunbar~~~

Perfectly stated.....glad you jumped in..... :2vrolijk_21: 
You stated what I failed to articulate clearly!!!!

Regards,

Tim

Tim - you seem to know how to 'FIND' stuff .......

My lifters came with no instructions for setup.

I have two choices.

1) install them with the thought that they have standard .200 inches of travel and adjust the pushrods so the lifter is at .100

2) look and look to see if I can find a set of instructions.

the lifters are Sifton Max-Axle ............. I've been told that the company is out of business or were bought out.  I goggled Sifton and find all kinds of stuff, but nothing on the lifters.

got any ideas ?

Thanks,
Mikey
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #222 on: December 12, 2008, 03:57:35 AM »

Tim - you seem to know how to 'FIND' stuff .......the lifters are Sifton Max-Axle.......got any ideas ?

Well........I have some ideas but you aren't going to like them......lol

I recently had a discussion about lifters earlier this week.....the topic however was primarily on the TWIN CAM Side.....the conclusion after a bunch of research is that the OEM "B" Lifter works great for most applications involving the TWIN CAM.........but we of course are talking about EVO Lifters here......the "OEM" EVO Lifter is great as well....with no need to change them EXCEPT FOR one particular reason.....the side walls of the lifter rollers are designed in such a way that it's possible if one were to fail that the result could be catastrophic in the sense that there is no side wall on the roller area in which case the individual "needle" bearings could "potentially" find themselves at the bottom of your cam chest....and running through there ever so politely....ouch......bottom line....it's a good idea to change out the OEM lifters especially when doing upgrades.....

So now what should one use......the answer quite simply is that there are others here more skilled in such an assessment than me, even though I realize this wasn't really your question.....but we are here to offer one another input and the grace to enjoy one another's decisons....here are the lifters I installed when replacing my OEM CAM:

Big Axle Powerglide™ Hydraulic Tappet For ’84-’99 BT, ’86-’90 XL, ’87-’90 Buell®, Single¬
Standard O.D. is .8425”. Individual tappet weighs 149 grams. This tappet replaces and surpasses H.D.® No. 18523-86 and S&S® No. 33-5341. Use with 2272-IS Instruction sheet. Total Hydraulic Lift: 0.200” THE POWERGLIDE™ ADVANTAGE
Longest valve train engine life.  Produced from billet bearing steel. The same high quality steel our shafts and crank pins are made from. The best made JIMS® big axle roller. The ultimate in hydraulic control system, performs better under both the lower and the higher R.P.M. limits, and high spring pressures. A true centerline for roller life and exact cam timing.  State of the art pushrod seat, machined with the same segmented parabolic cup as the JIMS® roller rockers. Helps eliminate pushrod whip. Engineered on a state of the art cad system, and machined in some of the world’s most accurate precision computer controlled machinery. Hand fit hydraulic unit to a running fit of .0002”, with ultra precision air gauging system.  All hydraulic units are tested 100% for function under a simulated pressure test fixture.  The best warranty policy in the industry.
Powerglide™ tappets are capable of the highest rpm a Harley® can safely turn (about 8025 r.p.m.) at a valve lift of .700”, with the right valve springs, valves, cam, oil, etc. We recommend using with JIMS® tappet blocks No.1094. It is not necessary to use a limiting travel washer in "PowerglideTM" tappets. For ALL OUT performance use a hydrosolid tappet.

JIMS BIG AXLE POWER GLIDE HYDRAULIC TAPPETS JIMS PART # 2456-1 (BRAND NEW). FOR 84-99 EVOLUTION : REPL. OEM #18523-86, POWERGLIDE TAPPETS HAVE A MICRO-FINISH BORE THAT ALLOWS A RUNNING FIT OF .0002". THIS TAPPET REPLACES AND SURPASSES HD PART # 18523-86 AND S & S PART # 33-5341.
•   Powerglide™ tappets have a micro-finish bore that allows a running fit of .0002”
•   Big Axle™ rollers are designed around three working parts
•   The outer wheel/roller has a 27% greater wall size — less harmonic distortion for better     tracking of cam lobe
•   Pin bearings are decreased in size by 12%, which increases rpm for more precise tracking
•   Axle size is increased 36% and doubles as the inner race, so the pin bearing and complete roller assembly now
                     rotates around the axle instead of an inner race, eliminating all possible movement in and around the axle
•   Made in the U.S.A.
For 84-99 80” Evolution; Repl. OEM #18523-86
Part Number   Description   Suggested Retail
DS-194107    SIZE: Std. (.8425”) - Powerglide Hydraulic     $73.95
DS-194107  Big Axle Power Glide Hydraulic Tappets JIMS Part# 2456-1  $235.00  for 4 of them.

227.0       4 tappets JIMS TOOLS Powerguide Big Axle Hydraulic Lifters/Tappets Dennis Kirk page 220 2004                   
                          catalog H14-905  $68.99 ea X 4 $275.96 DS-194107 $ 63.95ea X4 $255.80 $227.00 Purchased             
                          From jenni in 2005.

Another brand most are familiar with would be a set of S&S Lifters.

On my bike one of these two brands would be going in.......so this is all I know about lifters.....perhaps others here will have more input as to what to do......but if it were me.....well....lol it doesn't matter if it were me....lol as "me" already replaced my OEM EVO Lifters with the ones above.....which speaks to how I feel about lifters......

I know you were asking how you might find an instruction sheet.....but I am way back at the beginning of this decision that says....the brand you have chosen wouldn't be my choice.  Every decision I make on my bikes always seems to be a painstaking decision....lol....meaning that I do tons of research before I do anything just like the rest of us here, we all do research each and every one of us......and at the time for me in 2005 what I chose to put in seemed to offer me personally the most security based upon the answers I received.

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 02:16:59 PM by FXR2evo99 »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #223 on: December 12, 2008, 12:22:23 PM »

Tim - you seem to know how to 'FIND' stuff .......the lifters are Sifton Max-Axle.......got any ideas ?

Well........I have some ideas but you aren't going to like them......lol

Well ..........  ya, not so much  LOL

So now what should one use......the answer quite simply is that there are others here more skilled in such an assessment than me, even though I realize this wasn't really your question.....but we are here to offer one another input and the grace to enjoy one another's decisions....

Yes, that's right !!  I know, like you, that I'm very happy to be here and to know this group of riders ..... and to have the opportunities to share and exchange information.

I know you were asking how you might find an instruction sheet.....but I am way back at the beginning of this decision that says....the brand you have chosen wouldn't be my choice. 

We all make our choices of course. And we all know that we won't all make the same choices.  I got these lifters last June along with most of the other parts. At that time I didn't know of this site .... which surely would have had an impact on my decision for these lifters.

Others that I was in discussion with at the time said that they would be fine. Be sure to replace the OEM lifters.  I'm OK with them and feel that they are a quality part (based on what I could find out later about the company).  Being that I already have them, and have 170 bucks in them, I'm not very inclined to spend another 280 bucks for a different set.  Of course should they fail and fall into the cam chest .... well then that will have been a bad decision.

Thanks Tim for your input, as ALWAYS very well put and thought out!

Sifton Products dot com - seems they only sell thru dealers, and not directly

I have not really found any details about specs .... like the stuff you posted about the JIMS lifters

Until I got these lifters I had never heard of Sifton before.
Here's a list of Sifton products ... I don't know if it's 'ALL INCLUSIVE' or not
http://www.stony-point.com/sifton/Index-01.htm?gen_time=1030043230327

The Sifton product story
http://www.stony-point.com/sifton/

Tom Sifton - AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame  (a short read)
http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/hofbiopage.asp?id=55

The Beauty of Speed
http://www.beautyofspeed.com/track/history/sifton_team/index.htm
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #224 on: December 12, 2008, 01:09:32 PM »

Mikey~~~

Ok I am not talking you out of your lifters....but I did mention the S&S lifters because they are reasonably priced.....just so you know......if that would have any "bearing" on your position and yes the "pun" was intended.....lol

Hey I hope to ride with you some day and I don't want you breaking down....LOL....LOL, now watch it will be ME that breaks DOWN!!! LOL

:bananarock:

Regards,

Tim
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 21 queries.