Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Cooking Thanksgiving Day Turkey  (Read 7913 times)

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
Cooking Thanksgiving Day Turkey
« on: November 21, 2014, 11:08:17 PM »

Okay, Thanksgiving is around the corner and it is time to cook the bird. Just wondered how you prefer to have your turkey cooked.
I will be frying 6 birds thanks giving day and 6 the night before at our annual night before Thanksgiving party.
Love that fried turkey, so moist and good flavor.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
Re: Cooking Thanksgiving Day Turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 08:40:17 AM »

Frying 3 here Mikey; love that fried bird too.
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 09:24:16 AM »

Switched over to smoking our turkey a few years ago, probably will not change anytime soon.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

DaBigNuttedMan

• Steered & Geared by DaBigNuttedMan
  • Elite CVO Member
  • No Skool Straight F Fuc_ PowerCustom PypeDaShi_

• CVO1: 2011 RoadGlide Ultra Screamin Eagle
    • CVO2: 1969 Rupp Roadster chromed up Shriner Special
    • CVO3: Grasshopper 725 w/48" snothrower
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 09:48:20 AM »

My amazing, wonderful, talented Ol'Lady will be roasting ours in the oven, slaving over the stove all day to please me, she will make me home made pies, mashed potatoes from scratch, green bean casserole with fried onions on top, corn she froze from last summer, butternut squash she has been ripening in the kitchen so it is super sweet, homemade bread from her bread machine, oh, I almost forgot, she makes the best stuffing with sausage and onions, and bread....She is such a good little witch, I told her I want EVERYTHING made on Thanksgiving day so I can lay on the couch watching TV and smell all the wonderful smells coming from her Witch Kitchen....What a woman.... :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: I'll probably get some of that homemade salsa and chips delivered to me while on the couch as I wait patiently for our feast....I'm a lucky bastard.... :huepfenjump3:  And she rides a Harley toooooo....
Life begins just outside your comfort zone and you havent lived until you push a full dress harley on a hot day up a grade because your low mile twincam fell apart, and your convinced it's to bitchen to leave it there.           Ugh pardon me but do you have any beer?

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 10:00:01 AM »

Either smoked or on the grill haven't decided which I'll do yet.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »

About 1968, we obtained a garlic spice Turkey BBQ sauce from an Oklahoma family which had handed it down for several generations.  So,  I do a 22 pound Tom on a spit over a slow charcoal fire.  Keep the box at about 250*F.  2.25 hours cook time, basting every 15 minutes or so.  Yum!    :huepfenjump3:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 03:24:26 PM »

We've always roasted it in the oven. With the stuffing packed in there. Nothing like that stuffing with all the turkey juices and mix in a little cranberry sauce. MMMMMMMMMM. I never tried deep fried.... would imagine it's quite delicious but not as healthy for ya. Smoked may be in the future. Smoking is a great way to keep the meat moist and juicy. Get it up to a high temp and then get a good char. Then low and slow and keep you can inject it with juices/flavoring, etc
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

DaBigNuttedMan

• Steered & Geared by DaBigNuttedMan
  • Elite CVO Member
  • No Skool Straight F Fuc_ PowerCustom PypeDaShi_

• CVO1: 2011 RoadGlide Ultra Screamin Eagle
    • CVO2: 1969 Rupp Roadster chromed up Shriner Special
    • CVO3: Grasshopper 725 w/48" snothrower
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 06:35:31 AM »

The 4th post that appears to be from me on this thread was done by none other than my PinkE, logged in as me, even though it's all true, I like roasted traditional style best, but I love it all, and I am a lucky basterd   :2vrolijk_21:
Life begins just outside your comfort zone and you havent lived until you push a full dress harley on a hot day up a grade because your low mile twincam fell apart, and your convinced it's to bitchen to leave it there.           Ugh pardon me but do you have any beer?

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 09:21:41 AM »

The 4th post that appears to be from me on this thread was done by none other than my PinkE, logged in as me, even though it's all true, I like roasted traditional style best, but I love it all, and I am a lucky basterd   :2vrolijk_21:

You had to tell on me, maybe you'll get a roasted crow.....Just kidding, I'm a lucky witch to have you in my life.  :2vrolijk_21:
MY Broom is an `04 FLHTCUI Lehman Trike and I Love flyin on it!!!

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 10:40:58 AM »

Our Thanksgiving Dinner will be held on Saturday this year due to scheduling issues getting the adult kids and other family together, but it's gonna be a good time.  :bananarock:

Paula and I have already prepared the Punkin' cheesecakes, Punkin' pies and Homemade wheat bread. Paula will roast the big bird in the oven on Saturday. We'll have us some sweet potatoes, scratch  made mashed taters (I get to do that), green beans and of course stuffing made with sausage,onions and rice, oh and don't ferget the cranberry sauce  :2vrolijk_21:

On Thursday the actual holiday Paula will watch the Macy's Thanksgiving parade on the TV while I get ready to watch some football and just generally just relax. Don't look for us anywhere near a shopping mall.....personally I don't buy into all that "black Friday" hype...besides most of our Christmas shopping is done, therefore it's to late to get on the list, sorry......
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 10:48:34 AM »

My amazing, wonderful, talented Ol'Lady will be roasting ours in the oven, slaving over the stove all day to please me, she will make me home made pies, mashed potatoes from scratch, green bean casserole with fried onions on top, corn she froze from last summer, butternut squash she has been ripening in the kitchen so it is super sweet, homemade bread from her bread machine, oh, I almost forgot, she makes the best stuffing with sausage and onions, and bread....She is such a good little witch, I told her I want EVERYTHING made on Thanksgiving day so I can lay on the couch watching TV and smell all the wonderful smells coming from her Witch Kitchen....What a woman.... :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: I'll probably get some of that homemade salsa and chips delivered to me while on the couch as I wait patiently for our feast....I'm a lucky bastard.... :huepfenjump3:  And she rides a Harley toooooo....

Hey BigNutsMan,
WAKE UP!!!! You were having some kind of fantasy, hallucination or something while you were posting on the site here. There ain't no such woman like that anywhere. Are you sure you ain't dreaming???  If so can you hook me up with some of those drugs you must be on???
However, if it is all true then yes...you are a Very Lucky Bastard!!!
...and does your Ms. have a filthy rich, hot, good looking, twin sister you can hook me up with???
It appears you will have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 10:48:58 AM »

We have the gear to fry a bird but will be traveling, although not far, so I reckon it will be an oven roasted turkey this year. Have much to be thankful for, my son/his wife added another daughter to the family last night...

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 10:55:41 AM »

We have the gear to fry a bird but will be traveling, although not far, so I reckon it will be an oven roasted turkey this year. Have much to be thankful for, my son/his wife added another daughter to the family last night...

CONGRATULATIONS  :2vrolijk_21:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

senorjeem

• Starting Out
  • Full CVO Member
  • I SURVIVED THE MAYAN END OF DAYS!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »

Dear ol Mam made me up a cookbook 100 years ago or so, when I left the nest, so that I didn't have to call her every time that I wanted to cook something.  The recipe for cooking turkey is as follows:
Preheat oven to 350
wash out the cavity and pat dry with paper towel inside.
Stuff the cavity with Jiffy Pop
Sew up the cavity openings.
Place in the roasting pan and in the oven breast side up.

When the ass blows off....she's ready!!

:pepper:And Congrats phato!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:58:13 AM by senorjeem »

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 10:57:25 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS  :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks Phato!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.