Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Hot Weather Riding Gear?  (Read 36774 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Hot Weather Riding Gear?
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2011, 08:51:44 AM »

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2011, 12:47:45 PM »

The only thing is......when it's very low humidity (like Calif. or Az.) the hydration vest totally drys out in tfifteen minutes of riding.  But I'm not turning loose of mine!

We bought three different styles of sun shirts last year.  While they all work well for what they are, the best by far is this one......  http://www.sunprecautions.com/product/1200K11+S+WHT

It has mesh from the arm pits down almost to the wrist so when your hands are on the handlbars, air flows right on through.  Wind wise.....almost feels like you don't have a shirt on yet it provides the protection from the sun's rays.

X2......We took this advice last summer and these shirts work like magic!!  Thanks JC!!   :2vrolijk_21:
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2011, 12:53:55 PM »

where do you get them? :nixweiss:  spyder

Spyd...haven't tried those socks, but I wear wicking type socks exclusively.  My favorites are Bridgedale Lightweight Ski socks...I've got about 5 pair of them, and two medium weight pair for cold weather.  I can't STAND socks that fall down when walking...it drives me nuts.  The ski socks come over the calves, and will not fall down in the shoe or boot.  They wick moisture, have cushioning on the heel, ball of the foot, instep, and the shin.  Best socks I've ever worn, and they last forever...I'm still wearing some that are 6 years old now.

Here's one place to get them...they are not cheap, but like I said, last forever:  http://www.socksappeal.com/1015-Bridgedale-Mens-Lightweight-Heel-Fit-B579.aspx

You can sometimes get them here as well...depends on what they have at the time...they are generally seconds, but I've never been able to find a flaw in any I've ordered:  http://www.sierratradingpost.com
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2011, 01:26:11 PM »

Recently bought 1 of these:

HD Mesh Jacket

Too hot to wear it to try out so far.  May get the hydration packs.  Already have body armor from another jacket but so far have only used it a little.  Kinda bulky.

This jacket comes with a waterproof liner that is detachable.  Figure it will come in handy as an "all purpose" jacket for warm season to cool season riding.  Paid for it 100% with Chrome Cash, so seemed like a painless buy at the time.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:28:40 PM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2011, 04:35:39 PM »

Recently bought 1 of these:

HD Mesh Jacket

Too hot to wear it to try out so far.  May get the hydration packs.  Already have body armor from another jacket but so far have only used it a little.  Kinda bulky.

This jacket comes with a waterproof liner that is detachable.  Figure it will come in handy as an "all purpose" jacket for warm season to cool season riding.  Paid for it 100% with Chrome Cash, so seemed like a painless buy at the time.

Yes that sucker looks like it would really keep you cool when it's 103 out.  :'(I saw the long sleeve shirts and still can not imagine them helping when it is very hot out. Protection from sun and burn yes but not from heat.

steve047

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2011, 05:14:44 PM »

I got a couple UVSkinz shirts in the mail today. gonna check these  out and will report back. I burn easy and look forward to the protection

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2011, 05:21:35 PM »

Yes that sucker looks like it would really keep you cool when it's 103 out.  :'(I saw the long sleeve shirts and still can not imagine them helping when it is very hot out. Protection from sun and burn yes but not from heat.

Yeah I usually ride sleeveless in this type of heat.  Have a few friends who wear these jackets - they look hotter than hell, too.    Also ride with folks who wear long sleeves even in this fried egg on sidewalk weather.  They also look hotter than hell.  Protection from the sun is good - some day may be me too - instead of sunscreen.

If the humidity drops under 1,000%, might try the hydration pouch deal.  Figure would be ok during cooler mornings, mountain riding.  With the waterproof liner, would be ok probably into the high 60's.

Know it's all relative & folks wear what they wish to wear & all but....it will be 100+ degrees out & high noon sun & some guys wear their leather vests.  Ok for them, but not for me.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2011, 05:25:05 PM »

I got a couple UVSkinz shirts in the mail today. gonna check these  out and will report back. I burn easy and look forward to the protection

Where can I see some more photos of your red scooter?

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2011, 05:54:30 PM »

Mike, I had a jacket very similar to that back when...the black makes it hotter, of course, but it's OK as long as you're moving.  I currently have an Olympia Airglide 3...again, it's OK when moving, but when you stop and it's 95 degrees around here, it's hot.  My Olympia has the zip out waterproof liner, and a zip out thinsulate liner as well, so I'm thinking I may be able to get by with that year 'round.  It also has armor...I took it out of the back, but left it on the shoulders and elbows and it's pretty comfortable.  With the jacket you've got, and something beneath the liner, you'll probably be good to go down to the 50's.  I recently bought a long sleeved Underarmor white "summer" shirt, but haven't been able to try it out because of the broken foot, but will be able to soon.  I spent so much time out in the sun working and fishing in my younger days, further sun damage is a cause for concern for me, so I'm going to give the shirt a try and hope it works.  Otherwise, it's back to sunscreen.  With the heat and humugity we have in our part of the county, it almost gets to the point where it's miserable to ride...period.  And the older I get the worse it seems to be.

TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2011, 06:16:02 PM »

Terry,

Know what you mean about sun exposure when you are younger.  The guys I ride with wearing long sleeves are worried/fighting potential skin cancers. 

Have looked at a number of these jackets -priced from under $100 to over $300.  Decided on this one due to having the Chrome Cash (no cash outlay) & it was pretty much what I was looking for.  When the humidity drops (may have to move way west for that to happen) will try the hydration pouch deal.  Know folks who like theirs so it's beyond theory that they will work.  Time they work depends on a lot of factors.

Underarmour is excellent! You will enjoy that.  Good luck on your foot.  Went through that many years ago  - not any fun.

Notice the older I get, my attitude about riding gets more similar to my wife's attitude about snorkeling.  Pretty weather, low or no waves, friendly sun, nice fishies - lots of fun.  Of course no fish while riding - yet - & not a fair weather rider only but....

Given the choice will skip the screaming hot day for a milder one or a stormy day for a calm one.  If on a long trip - will go ahead & no bitching since it's just another part of the ride.  But if at home, warm & dry, with a cold beer or other frosty beverage, will pass for a better day more than not.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »

Mike, I had a jacket very similar to that back when...the black makes it hotter, of course, but it's OK as long as you're moving.  I currently have an Olympia Airglide 3...again, it's OK when moving, but when you stop and it's 95 degrees around here, it's hot.  My Olympia has the zip out waterproof liner, and a zip out thinsulate liner as well, so I'm thinking I may be able to get by with that year 'round.  It also has armor...I took it out of the back, but left it on the shoulders and elbows and it's pretty comfortable.  With the jacket you've got, and something beneath the liner, you'll probably be good to go down to the 50's.  I recently bought a long sleeved Underarmor white "summer" shirt, but haven't been able to try it out because of the broken foot, but will be able to soon.  I spent so much time out in the sun working and fishing in my younger days, further sun damage is a cause for concern for me, so I'm going to give the shirt a try and hope it works.  Otherwise, it's back to sunscreen.  With the heat and humugity we have in our part of the county, it almost gets to the point where it's miserable to ride...period.  And the older I get the worse it seems to be.
Terry, put the back armor back in the jacket.  Wish I'd had some in mine.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »

Mike...no brainer with the Chrome Cash.  It's a good jacket, and with the Hydration packets will be a nice thing to have when you're able to use it.  Yea, out West it would be more useful...it's a dry heat, ya' know...then again, so is sticking your head in an oven.  At least we're not having to eat sand/dirt.

Like you, on trips, I take what I'm dished...but around here, I'll do the same and have a frosty cold one and wait 'till it gets down to a chilly 92 degrees instead of 98.   :huepfenlol2:

TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2011, 06:28:42 PM »

Terry, put the back armor back in the jacket.  Wish I'd had some in mine.  spyder

Spyder,

Good friend of mine was wearing this same jacket a few weeks ago - with body armor - when he was hit by a car running a red light.  Actually, he ran into the side of the car in the intersection.  Never saw him, he never saw her.

His bike was totaled.  He was shook up & stiff but no road rash.  NONE.  Jacket was torn/abraided at the spot of his center shoulder blades.  Decided after that to give this jacket a try so finally got around to buying it.  He was on his way to work, early morning.  Of course the car got the ticket.  He traded out of his 08 for 10 & is riding again.  Wearing a new version of this jacket now.

Hope you are healing up ok.  Last time I had raod rash was in the 70's & it sucked hind teat.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2011, 06:32:03 PM »

Mike...no brainer with the Chrome Cash.  It's a good jacket, and with the Hydration packets will be a nice thing to have when you're able to use it.  Yea, out West it would be more useful...it's a dry heat, ya' know...then again, so is sticking your head in an oven.  At least we're not having to eat sand/dirt.

Like you, on trips, I take what I'm dished...but around here, I'll do the same and have a frosty cold one and wait 'till it gets down to a chilly 92 degrees instead of 98.   :huepfenlol2:

;D ;D. Have eaten a lot of dirt while riding.  And bugs.

Thanks looking forward to trying it out.

Agreed on temps.  Avoid the heat of the day by taking a morning ride when I can. Sometimes late afternoon is almost bslmy here.  No fun when it's 98/98%.

Yeah, when I lived in west Texas it was a dry heat.  112 in a dry heat is hottern hell. :huepfenlol2:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2011, 06:33:46 PM »

Will likely do that, Spydy...I took it out before I moved the backrest back a hole, and before I got the Anderson TP relocator for Judi...the back armour was pushing my back a bit too far forward, and moving the backrest further back is not really an option if you don't move the TP on the newer bikes.  Now, I think all will be well.  Tweaking things to make 'em fit takes a little while...but I'm all about maximum protection whenever possible.

TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 21 queries.