Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Auxiliary Lamp Installation  (Read 3306 times)

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
Re: Auxiliary Lamp Installation
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 06:49:13 AM »

GND3 connected to upper fork bracket terminal

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 06:50:32 AM »

Passing lamps on and working OK.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 06:51:30 AM »

Passing lamp switched on.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 06:57:02 AM »

With head lamp removed and looking at front fork bracket connection.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »

First, that terminal you were asking about with nothing in it...if that's the one on the left fairing bracket, nothing attaches to it and it will not work as a ground point.  The one I'm talking about is a threaded terminal. 

Second, there is a harness available from Harley that will keep your passing lamps on when you switch to high beam for $29.95  http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/independent-control-auxiliary-lamp-wire-harness-kit

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 05:30:28 AM »

First, that terminal you were asking about with nothing in it...if that's the one on the left fairing bracket, nothing attaches to it and it will not work as a ground point.  The one I'm talking about is a threaded terminal. 

Second, there is a harness available from Harley that will keep your passing lamps on when you switch to high beam for $29.95  http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/independent-control-auxiliary-lamp-wire-harness-kit
Terminal is on the fork bracket not the fairing bracket, the head lamp harness having the black wire coming out the side must go some where and the only place I can see is the fork bracket terminal (according to the wiring diagram).
There is no other place to connect this wire that I can see with a very close inspection.
Correct me if I am wrong, this terminal is the ground for the front forks as the head bearings to main frame would not supply a strong ground.
Are you able to remove your head lamp and take a picture of the top left fork bracket the same as I have done?

Thanks very much for the info on the harness  :2vrolijk_21:

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 10:14:08 AM »

The black wire with the white plastic casing at the end where it connects...that looks like what I thought was the ground for my stereo.  Looking at the bike from the front, it was just below the level of the bottom of the stereo and just to the right of it a bit.  I couldn't get to it without removing my stereo, so I found another place to use for ground when I was installing a new amp.  Hopefully, someone that knows more about things will chime in with the answer you are looking for.

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 11:06:24 AM »

Originally I thought the passing lamps would come on when the high beam was switched on.
When head lamp is on low beam with spot switch on passing lamps illuminate, however when high beam is switched on with spot switch on passing lamps go out. Is this the way they are designed to work?

Mine works this way.  I beleive there are a few states in the US that it is illegal to have high beam and aux lamps (shouldn't apply to you) plus it would be a bigger current draw when high beam is on. 
Ride Safe,
JustDennis
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.652 seconds with 22 queries.