Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: ? on Zumo 550  (Read 7499 times)

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
? on Zumo 550
« on: May 28, 2009, 08:57:17 PM »

Will I get voice commands from the unit itself? If so, can you hear them over the wind and pipes? I will be using this on my Ultra and my Heritage.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: ? on Zumo 550
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:18:48 PM »

No speakers on the Zumo or the motorcycle mount. The only way to hear commands is to have it wired to radio (from mount to radio), and have radio on Aux.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 09:28:37 PM »

Is there an aux input on my 09 ultra.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 09:30:48 PM »

Sure is, it's right on the front.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 09:33:32 PM »

Can I plug in some ear pods and get voice command that way?
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 09:35:09 PM »

Never tried it, but don't see why it wouldn't work. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »

Thanks dood. I think I am going to get one for our trip to Sturgis. I have a Magellan in my truck and like the voice prompts.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 09:42:06 PM »

You're welcome. :2vrolijk_21:

May as well share this with you if you thinking about getting a 550 (this will give you options on power, audio, mount, and other good info)...

Check out this thread - Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation starting at reply #11. You will find a list of all the parts that others and myself have used. I ordered my Techmount from them directly, used the Radio Shack power plug (but will replace it w/the one Terry found if ever needed), and I also got a cover to put on the face of the Zumo to prevent scratches from - Invisible Shield for the Garmin Zumo 550. Also check out this post - Zumo Tips/Tricks... this is a nice replacement security screw for the mount. The one that comes stock has this special screw/screwdriver that is a pain in the butt for us old guys. It is really small and hard to see. Both of the above threads have good information on parts, installation and tips/tricks for the Zumo.

Techmount 30997MC (these are for the stock handlebars (1") if you've changed yours you'll need to get one that corresponds to the diameter of your bars)

SOUND PROFESSIONALS - GOLD PLATED 3.5MM (1/8 INCH) RIGHT ANGLE STEREO PATCH CABLE (1 meter length)

Either one of the following two will be good for power plug if you want to use your cigarette lighter.

12V Flush Mount Receptacles & Plugs (Plug Only)

Sealink 12V Receptacles, Plugs, and Both (Plug Only)

The only other thing I did was went to a local fastener store w/the screws that hold the Zumo mount to the Techmount and got some shorter screws. You can see the difference in these two posts - stock screws and short screws.

Once you get the unit make sure you go to the following places to update and register your Zumo.

Product Registration

Web Updater (This will allow you to make sure your Zumo has the latest firmware)

Newest version of Mapsource - MapSource software version 6.15.6 as of April 20, 2009 (or you can use the update feature in Mapsource to get it)

If you are going to be interested in loading POI's (Points Of Interest) you'll need this also - POI Loader for Windows software version 2.5.3 as of August 22, 2008.

For those having problems with Mapsource or want to learn more about it try this - Mapsource Tutorial

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 09:44:50 PM »

Thanks for all the help and info. That what makes this site so great.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 11:26:13 PM »

Can I plug in some ear pods and get voice command that way?
Sure.  On my Heritage, I plugged a standard set of earbuds into the aux out on the mount before I bought a bluetooth headset.  With the CUSE4, I use the bike's wired system so that can use all of the audio features.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 11:53:05 PM »

::) ::) ::)

Go to cycle gadgets ( http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/packages.asp?pkg=ULT-550 ) and check out this solution.  If you use a helmet plugged into the HD system, the cell set is a great intergrated one.  Allows using the existing HD intercom powered  system to work with the Zumo GPS, MP3 and phone.  Mutes the HD radio for 5 seconds while command prompts come through (or bluetooth phone).  I used the Zumo plugged into the aux port but this eliminates the CB, XM (HD) or intercom.  Thus need to use the XM from the Zumo or MP3 for music.  Not good.

J&M makes a solution which I tried but is not as good as the Cell Set.

That said, there is a much less expensive solution which works well on the Zumo links.  As I already had the J&M and switched to the Cell Set, I ahaeve no experience with it. 

All three of these require installing the systems directly into the HD wiring harness.  Requires some level of mechanical/electrical skills.  Took about two hours start to finish for the Cell Set.  I will say the J&M headsets are expensive but better than the HD's.

You can in fact use a set of stereo headphones to get the Zumo commands (or MP3 ) if you don't mind wearing the ear pieces.

Just my two cents worth.  The Zumo is awesome. I've had mine since the second month they were on the market.  been on its third bike.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member
  • formerly known as "UpChuck82"

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 01:55:38 AM »

Go to cycle gadgets ( http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/packages.asp?pkg=ULT-550 ) and check out this solution.  If you use a helmet plugged into the HD system, the cell set is a great intergrated one.  Allows using the existing HD intercom powered  system to work with the Zumo GPS, MP3 and phone.  Mutes the HD radio for 5 seconds while command prompts come through (or bluetooth phone).  I used the Zumo plugged into the aux port but this eliminates the CB, XM (HD) or intercom.  Thus need to use the XM from the Zumo or MP3 for music.  Not good.

J&M makes a solution which I tried but is not as good as the Cell Set.

That said, there is a much less expensive solution which works well on the Zumo links.  As I already had the J&M and switched to the Cell Set, I ahaeve no experience with it. 

All three of these require installing the systems directly into the HD wiring harness.  Requires some level of mechanical/electrical skills.  Took about two hours start to finish for the Cell Set.  I will say the J&M headsets are expensive but better than the HD's.

You can in fact use a set of stereo headphones to get the Zumo commands (or MP3 ) if you don't mind wearing the ear pieces.

Just my two cents worth.  The Zumo is awesome. I've had mine since the second month they were on the market.  been on its third bike.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Diamondback,
A few Cellset questions for inquiring minds:
How long have you had the cellset and have you had any problems with it?

Their install guide leaves a bit to be desired IMHO, was the install pretty straightforward?  I have a service manual and the same bike as you (Red).

Do ALL of the harley radio (AM/FM/CD/Aux), Harley XM, Harley rider-to-passenger Intercom, and Harley CB still all work like they would without having added the Cellset?

I currently use the harley headsets (wired) and don't see any reason to change that.  I would like to add the GPS and would love to have the cell phone bluetooth functionality via the garmin thru my existing headsets.  It would be nice to be able to take the calls I REALLY need to take.  Does this all work properly?

Thanks,
Eagle Soars
2009 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
Arlen Ness Big Sucker (Chrome Backplate) w/ KN Filter
SERT
SE Slip-Ons

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 02:42:00 AM »

Diamondback,
A few Cellset questions for inquiring minds:
How long have you had the cellset and have you had any problems with it?
Their install guide leaves a bit to be desired IMHO, was the install pretty straightforward?  I have a service manual and the same bike as you (Red).
Do ALL of the harley radio (AM/FM/CD/Aux), Harley XM, Harley rider-to-passenger Intercom, and Harley CB still all work like they would without having added the Cellset?
I currently use the harley headsets (wired) and don't see any reason to change that.  I would like to add the GPS and would love to have the cell phone bluetooth functionality via the garmin thru my existing headsets.  It would be nice to be able to take the calls I REALLY need to take.  Does this all work properly?
Thanks,
Eagle Soars

You really should take a look at this thread:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=34687.0

Jim Bissonette produces a device that does exactly what you want to do, and it costs only $65.  I can personally attest that his device works very well, and allows me to use my cell phone when it is paired to the Zumo.  His website has a newer version than the one that I installed, but I'm sure that it works even better than mine, as it does not require that you use the Auxiliary switch on the inner fairing.  The instructions are detailed, and seem to be easier to follow than the Cellset instructions.

All other Harley audio functions work fine with this device installed.

Ed

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 09:07:10 AM »

8) 8) 8)

First answer about the Cell Set solution, yes I have had it for over six months, and one of my buddies has had it for well over a year.  Yes the entire HD setup works just as if the Cell Set is not there.

The one advantage I do like with the Cell Set is it mutes the HD system for 5 seconds while the GPS or the phone is ringing.  There is no soldering with the Cell Set (need a heat gun for the shrink wrap) as the package includes the wiring harness.  I thought the instructions were very easy to read and from the time I started until I was finished was less than two hours.  You still have the aux port if you want to hook an ipod (or whatever).  The latest version allows you to never mute the HD system, not sure why you wouldn't do this but it is an option.It has worked with three different bluetooth phones (iPhone, Blackberry and a cheap samsung) with no issues.  Does not change the way the CB works or the VOX or PTT.  What you get with HD is what you still have.

Comes with an additional power plug for a radar detector to be hard wires via the Cell Set.  The phone system is excellent.  Never thought I would like having the ability to answer my phone while on the bike.  However, the Zumo does show who is calling from your phone book on the phone and thus you can answer or not.  I answer for the wife and the grandkids.  Never work.

I do not know if the bissonette product mutes the HD system as well ( I like this feature a lot and would pay more for it).  The  I do not know how it could but that would be a question for Jim.  For sure his product looks like a reasonably priced alternative.  The Cell Set is more costly but I would not change.  The J&M was OK.

One last point The support from Cell Set is excellent.  Had a problem where the volume dropped real low.  He knew the solution immediately, the Garmin mount had gone bad (I questioned this also until I checked it out on the Zumo forum).  Ordered the $65.00 part off eBay installed the mount and all is well.

Here's jim's link.  http://home.comcast.net/~jbissonette1/site/
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 10:01:14 AM »

You're welcome. :2vrolijk_21:

May as well share this with you if you thinking about getting a 550 (this will give you options on power, audio, mount, and other good info)...

Check out this thread - Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation starting at reply #11. You will find a list of all the parts that others and myself have used. I ordered my Techmount from them directly, used the Radio Shack power plug (but will replace it w/the one Terry found if ever needed), and I also got a cover to put on the face of the Zumo to prevent scratches from - Invisible Shield for the Garmin Zumo 550. Also check out this post - Zumo Tips/Tricks... this is a nice replacement security screw for the mount. The one that comes stock has this special screw/screwdriver that is a pain in the butt for us old guys. It is really small and hard to see. Both of the above threads have good information on parts, installation and tips/tricks for the Zumo.

Techmount 30997MC (these are for the stock handlebars (1") if you've changed yours you'll need to get one that corresponds to the diameter of your bars)

SOUND PROFESSIONALS - GOLD PLATED 3.5MM (1/8 INCH) RIGHT ANGLE STEREO PATCH CABLE (1 meter length)

Either one of the following two will be good for power plug if you want to use your cigarette lighter.

12V Flush Mount Receptacles & Plugs (Plug Only)

Sealink 12V Receptacles, Plugs, and Both (Plug Only)

The only other thing I did was went to a local fastener store w/the screws that hold the Zumo mount to the Techmount and got some shorter screws. You can see the difference in these two posts - stock screws and short screws.

Once you get the unit make sure you go to the following places to update and register your Zumo.

Product Registration

Web Updater (This will allow you to make sure your Zumo has the latest firmware)

Newest version of Mapsource - MapSource software version 6.15.6 as of April 20, 2009 (or you can use the update feature in Mapsource to get it)

If you are going to be interested in loading POI's (Points Of Interest) you'll need this also - POI Loader for Windows software version 2.5.3 as of August 22, 2008.

For those having problems with Mapsource or want to learn more about it try this - Mapsource Tutorial

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

It would be nice if you were a little more helpful with your posts.......  ;)

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »

:ROFLOL: You think?? ;) :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Smuuth

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE³
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 10:58:05 AM »

Now that's funny!

:2vrolijk_21:
Patriot Guard

The best thing about riding in the rain is you don't have to stop to piss.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 11:33:08 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Be nice.

:coolblue: :coolblue:

Former 1999 Road King

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 12:33:18 PM »

Diamondback,
Sounds like exactly what I am looking to achieve.   :2vrolijk_21:  I personally do not like the idea of cutting into factory wires...just don't.  :nervous:  I've been looking thru the numerous Zumo posts and Jim's website and posts and I'm a little more comfortable with the Cell Set setup.  It may cost more, but true functionality would be well worth it...and being able to go back to factory wiring is a definite plus for me.

For calls to answer it's the opposite for me, I need to take the work calls and the wife can talk to me when I get home  :huepfenlol2:

Thanks for the info.
Eagle Soars
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 12:35:57 PM by Eagle Soars »
SERT
SE Slip-Ons

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 03:02:01 PM »

My buddy has moved his from his two prior bikes to the new 09.  All you need is more shrink wrap.

I like mine a bunch.  BTW when my wife rides she gets to talk on the phone to the kids. 

:confused5: :confused5:

Former 1999 Road King

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 08:01:31 AM »

Comparing my interface cable to a Cellset, Autocomm, J&M or any thing else that is available is futile in that you will be comparing apples to oranges to grapes to zucchini….LOL

My cable does not function like any other solution out there, it interfaces the Harley helmet microphone to the Zumo, which allows you to utilize the Bluetooth abilities of the Zumo and your cell phone to place or receive phone calls, while riding.

If you ride while mainly listening to your tunes via the Zumo as I do then my cable is, I think an inexpensive solution. I don’t listen to FM very much because it fades in and out while riding and I don’t like having to search for another station. I don’t use my CB very much so that was not an issue.

If you listen to your tunes via FM, AM, CD, and have your CB on at the same time just in case then my cable is not what you want.

When I set about designing an interface no one else had anything available that would do what I was looking to achieve without having to dish out over $300.00. This was the major motivation for me.

I just filled an empty spot on the table.

It’s like the bike you ride, get what works for your particular situation.  :2vrolijk_21:
Ride It Like You Are Retired

harpmr

• Junior CVO Member
  • 15 FLTRUSE

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 08:44:35 AM »

Installed my Zumo 550 with power from back side of cigarette lighter and placed the GXM-30 antenna on top of radio under the fairing.  Shortly thereafter the Harley nav system quit working - coincidence or did the GXM-30 being on top of the radio box somehow cause the malfunction?

harpmr

• Junior CVO Member
  • 15 FLTRUSE

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 12:03:46 PM »

Has anyone tried putting the audio patch cable from the Zumo 550 underneath the HK radio, coming out of the fairing right under the AUX port so that you have very little of the patch cable exposed? Just squeezed under the radio weather seal.

I've done this successfully on an '05 Screamin Eagle Ultra but it didn't have the HK radio.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 12:22:24 PM »

Thanks Jim for an honest evaluation of your product.  As I use the CB, the XM,FM and the HD CD/MP3 instead of the Zumo the Cell Set makes sense.

:drink:

Former 1999 Road King

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 05:12:54 PM »

Thanks Jim for an honest evaluation of your product.  As I use the CB, the XM,FM and the HD CD/MP3 instead of the Zumo the Cell Set makes sense.

:drink:

Ditto on that Jim  :2vrolijk_21:  My useage is more in "tune" with Diamondback's.   :huepfenlol2:  I too appreciate your clarification.  You're exactly right in saying get what works for your own needs.
Eagle Soars
SERT
SE Slip-Ons

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 05:59:58 PM »

Yeah baby!!!

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Former 1999 Road King

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »

Installed my Zumo 550 with power from back side of cigarette lighter and placed the GXM-30 antenna on top of radio under the fairing.  Shortly thereafter the Harley nav system quit working - coincidence or did the GXM-30 being on top of the radio box somehow cause the malfunction?
The H-D Nav system realized you had installed (Zumo) a better Nav system and automatically shut down because it realized it wouldn't be used. :wiseguy: :huepfenlol2:

Could you have possibly pulled a connection loose while you were inside the fairing? :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 12:58:18 AM »

Has anyone tried putting the audio patch cable from the Zumo 550 underneath the HK radio, coming out of the fairing right under the AUX port so that you have very little of the patch cable exposed? Just squeezed under the radio weather seal.

I've done this successfully on an '05 Screamin Eagle Ultra but it didn't have the HK radio.
I have mine going inside the fairing through the left handlebar hole, and coming out of the right handlebar hole - which is very close to the Aux port.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 01:10:40 AM »

Comparing my interface cable to a Cellset, Autocomm, J&M or any thing else that is available is futile in that you will be comparing apples to oranges to grapes to zucchini….LOL

My cable does not function like any other solution out there, it interfaces the Harley helmet microphone to the Zumo, which allows you to utilize the Bluetooth abilities of the Zumo and your cell phone to place or receive phone calls, while riding.

If you ride while mainly listening to your tunes via the Zumo as I do then my cable is, I think an inexpensive solution. I don’t listen to FM very much because it fades in and out while riding and I don’t like having to search for another station. I don’t use my CB very much so that was not an issue.

If you listen to your tunes via FM, AM, CD, and have your CB on at the same time just in case then my cable is not what you want.

When I set about designing an interface no one else had anything available that would do what I was looking to achieve without having to dish out over $300.00. This was the major motivation for me.

I just filled an empty spot on the table.

It’s like the bike you ride, get what works for your particular situation.  :2vrolijk_21:

Jim,

You're implying that the CB does not work with your cable, and I'm not sure that I agree.  As long as the accessory switch is toggled off, everything works as it should (but no microphone for the phone).  Obviously, when the accessory switch is toggled on, the only audio getting through the microphone is going to the phone.  I've used both CB and Intercom successfully while the Zumo is selected - as long as the accessory switch is off.  To me, this is no huge deal.  I can hear when a call is coming in, so with a flip of a switch, I can take the call.  Flip it back, and I can talk on CB and Intercom again.  I'm with you...  I almost never listen to AM, FM, CD, or WB on the bike.  If XM traffic were available on the H-D XM module, I would pay for an XM subscription, but otherwise, I am happy with XM on the Zumo.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 08:13:10 AM »

Just a coincidence, no way it can cause a problem with the NAV system.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2009, 08:21:35 AM »

If you or anyone else is handy and has a few tools like an Exacto knife and a soldering pen then I have detailed directions on how to install a stereo jack that comes out the back of your radio. Once this mod is done you can plug into the back of the radio. Nothing plugs into the AUX jack on the front of the radio, so it's a nice clean look.

PM me for the directions, let me know if you have the Harmon Kardon of the Sound Design readio as they are not the same. The Sound Design is easier to do.

If you want to go to the trouble of removing your radio and shipping it to me I will do it for you. Of course this will be a winter project for all of you who live in snow country.

If your going to be in the DE area sometime and want to do this just let me know when your going to be here and I'll do it for you then. It will take about 2 hours to remove the radio, do thye mod and re-install evry thing.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 08:36:26 AM »

Jim,

You're implying that the CB does not work with your cable, and I'm not sure that I agree.  As long as the accessory switch is toggled off, everything works as it should (but no microphone for the phone).  Obviously, when the accessory switch is toggled on, the only audio getting through the microphone is going to the phone.  I've used both CB and Intercom successfully while the Zumo is selected - as long as the accessory switch is off.  To me, this is no huge deal.  I can hear when a call is coming in, so with a flip of a switch, I can take the call.  Flip it back, and I can talk on CB and Intercom again.  I'm with you...  I almost never listen to AM, FM, CD, or WB on the bike.  If XM traffic were available on the H-D XM module, I would pay for an XM subscription, but otherwise, I am happy with XM on the Zumo.

You are correct I did not make myself clear on that, my fault. The Radio system will work as advertised. What I wanted to say was that you can not listen to FM, AM or CD if your radio is in the Aux input mode and of course turn directions and phone calls come thru the Zumo so you need to be in the AUX input mode if you want to hear them. If you wear your phone on your belt or put it in your pocket and set it to vibrate then you can listen to anything and switch to the AUX mode when a call comes thru. I only listen to the tunes I have on my Zumo and very seldom have anyone on the back. With the new design if you have the VOX switched on you as well as the the passenger can hear the conversation in the helmet speakers the old design did not allow that. The new cable design does not incorperate or use the Auxiliary switch. SO when you want to make or receive a phone call you just need to be sure you are in the AUX input mode.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 08:39:46 AM by bissjim »

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2009, 08:39:15 AM »

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
My pleasure.  I'm not right very often :)

Ed

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2009, 09:00:15 AM »

If you or anyone else is handy and has a few tools like an Exacto knife and a soldering pen then I have detailed directions on how to install a stereo jack that comes out the back of your radio. Once this mod is done you can plug into the back of the radio. Nothing plugs into the AUX jack on the front of the radio, so it's a nice clean look.

PM me for the directions, let me know if you have the Harmon Kardon of the Sound Design readio as they are not the same. The Sound Design is easier to do.

If you want to go to the trouble of removing your radio and shipping it to me I will do it for you. Of course this will be a winter project for all of you who live in snow country.

If your going to be in the DE area sometime and want to do this just let me know when your going to be here and I'll do it for you then. It will take about 2 hours to remove the radio, do thye mod and re-install evry thing.
There are threads with instructions/pictures for both the HK and older radios for putting an Aux jack on the back of your radio in the Sticky Threads - Find Sticky Threads Here... of this board.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2009, 08:09:41 PM »

Damm,  You can find anything :)
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

brewnut56

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 FXDB-sold
    • CVO2: FLHRSE4-sold
    • CVO3: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2009, 04:12:32 PM »

No speakers on the Zumo or the motorcycle mount. The only way to hear commands is to have it wired to radio (from mount to radio), and have radio on Aux.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
d00d,
I've been reading all these threads on the Zumo 550, but not sure if I understand everything correctly . . .
I have an '09 SEUC.
If I Install the Zumo as you and others have (power to cig lighter, and audio to Aux jack) will I be able to hear Zumo voice commands, listen to Mp3's, and communicate (driver to bsr) via J&M (wired) headsets with out changing functions on the radio?  What about bike to bike comunication(CB)?

I guess I dont understand, when do you have to switch functions and when dont you?  Can you use the Zumo Bluetooth to use the cell phone, via the wired J&M headsets or do I have to have Bluetooth headsets?

HELP!  It seems like the more I read the more confused I get   :confused5:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2009, 04:33:01 PM »

d00d,
I've been reading all these threads on the Zumo 550, but not sure if I understand everything correctly . . .
I have an '09 SEUC.
If I Install the Zumo as you and others have (power to cig lighter, and audio to Aux jack) will I be able to hear Zumo voice commands, listen to Mp3's, and communicate (driver to bsr) via J&M (wired) headsets with out changing functions on the radio?  What about bike to bike comunication(CB)?

I guess I dont understand, when do you have to switch functions and when dont you?  Can you use the Zumo Bluetooth to use the cell phone, via the wired J&M headsets or do I have to have Bluetooth headsets?

HELP!  It seems like the more I read the more confused I get   :confused5:
Can't give you an answer from experience because I don't have the same set up as you (no wired headsets), but if you are able to at this time use the intercom while in Radio/XM/Weather Band/Aux then I would think you would still be able to use it with the Zumo. Simple test would be if you have one plug an Ipod in the Aux plug and try using the intercom.

As I understand it Bluetooth technology is "wireless" so my guess is as it is without getting some device to connect the two then you will not be able to use your wired headsets to receive/make calls on your cell phone thru the Zumo bluetooth.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

brewnut56

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 FXDB-sold
    • CVO2: FLHRSE4-sold
    • CVO3: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 04:36:28 PM »

So d00d,
Are you using bluetooth headsets or just listening via the fairing speakers?
I dont have any headsets so far (was planning on getting the J&M for the 1/2 helmets), or a Zumo for that matter . . .
I want to be sure I know what will work and what will not  . . . . before I lay out the CASH!

Thanks for the help and advice!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 04:43:42 PM by brewnut56 »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 04:39:13 PM »

So d00d,
Are you using bluetooth headsets or just listening via the fairing speakers?
Just using fairing speakers. Don't at this time have a phone paired to the Zumo.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2009, 06:47:29 PM »

Brewnut - Here's the deal...

If you have a Zumo, or anything else plugged into Aux, and you have selected Aux as your audio source, you will hear the audio from your aux device, PLUS be able to use Intercom, PLUS be able to use CB.  You WON'T be able to hear any other audio option while Aux is selected (e.g. AM, FM, CD, WB, XM), which you would expect.  You wouldn't, for example, be able to hear AM while FM is selected.  Same idea.  If you are following me so far, this should tell you that while in Aux mode, you will be able to hear all options available to you on the Zumo, including turn-by-turn, MP3, and XM.  If you do not have Aux selected, because you are listening to a CD, you WILL NOT hear the Zumo's turn-by-turn or any of the other Zumo options.  You can, however, keep an eye on the map and the written directions, but you won't be able to hear them. All of the audio options on all of the sources can be heard on the speakers or in the headset.

Here's where it gets murky.

You can pair a bluetooth phone to the Zumo, you can take in incoming call or make an outgoing call, but you will only be able to hear it with the above setup.  The party on the other end  of your call WILL NOT hear you. The wired microphone is connected to the HD Audio system for use with Intercom and CB, but it DOES NOT connect in any way with the Zumo in order to make phone calls.  Just doesn't!  That doesn't mean that it can't be done - just means that you have to do more work & spend more money.  Here are your options:

1.  Find an HD Bluetooth module.  Expensive, no longer made, but I'm sure that it works great.  Ebay will probably be the only place to find it.
2.  Buy a bluetooth headset that pairs to the Zumo.  You will then hear your turn-by-turn, and be able to make and receive calls using the headset microphone.  Downsides:  Zumo does not support stereo bluetooth, so you will have to buy a stereo bluetooth dongle, insert in Audio Out on the Zumo, and pair the headset to it for your music stuff in stereo.  Another downside is that you won't be able to hear any of the HD audio options in the headset - only the Zumo stuff.
3.  This is the best option.  Configure as originally discussed, and buy an after market device that routes the wired microphone to your Zumo when you want to make a phone call.   I believe that J&M makes something that will do this, but it costs over $300.  One of our members, Jim Bissonette makes one for less than $100.  Works great for me.  Read through this entire thread, as this topic is discussed in depth - by Jim himself and others.

Let me know if this confused you more.

Ed

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2009, 08:36:20 PM »

4.  Buy the Garmin external mic for $10 & plug it into the mic plug on the Zumo mount.  That's what I did -- works great!

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-External-Microphone-StreetPilot-010-10804-00/dp/B000F7A832

You can locate the microphone just about anywhere.  I have it tucked up by the dash.  The sound is challenging on the freeway, but it's good enough that you can tell a caller to hang on while you pull over. 

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 08:39:59 PM by PR3VS56 »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 08:45:09 PM »

4.  Buy the Garmin external mic for $10 & plug it into the mic plug on the Zumo mount.  That's what I did -- works great!

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-External-Microphone-StreetPilot-010-10804-00/dp/B000F7A832

You can locate the microphone just about anywhere.  I have it tucked up by the dash.  The sound is challenging on the freeway, but it's good enough that you can tell a caller to hang on while you pull over. 

You using that to talk thru and listening thru speakers? Just wondering if I could use that on my bike (non intercom).

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Smuuth

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE³
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 09:21:20 PM »

...Downsides:  Zumo does not support stereo bluetooth...
I know this is the Zumo 550 thread, but the Zumo 660 DOES support stereo bluetooth...  :)

/End thread hijack
Patriot Guard

The best thing about riding in the rain is you don't have to stop to piss.

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2009, 10:10:58 PM »

You using that to talk thru and listening thru speakers? Just wondering if I could use that on my bike (non intercom).

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Absolutely!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2009, 10:18:48 PM »

Absolutely!
Kewl. Thanks. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Uncle Fester

• Hostage of the MoCo
  • Junior CVO Member
    • MD

• CVO1: '13 FLHRSE3 "Serafina"
    • CVO2: '11 FLTRUSE "Pazia"
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2009, 10:01:43 AM »

On my SG, I used this microphone from EdSets: http://www.edsets.com/zumomic?category_id=74. Good windproofed microphone, just plugged it into the mic jack on the Zumo. Audio through the aux jack and to the speakers.

Pros: simple, cheap. Callers said they could hear me just fine. Little bit of distortion at high speed.

Cons: Hopefully you don't mind everyone else overhearing your phone call at stoplights, parking lot, etc. Also, the cord isn't coiled and so flaps around in the wind wash at speed. I considered routing an extension under the console and out by the seat, which would allow me to zip the headset cable under my jacket, but never got around to trying it.

Merlinii

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2009, 07:49:31 PM »

I have been wanting a quality interface to connect the Zumo 550 Bluetooth with my stock Harley headset.
Every now and then something comes around that truly works as described.
I would like to share my experience with you about such a product.

I installed the HD BLUETOOTH BOMM from http://home.comcast.net/~jbissonette1/site/

It arrived within two days of ordering.

SIDE NOTE:
Now I know why they call it a BOMM...I think it looks like a miniature pipe bomb. (GRIN)

Installation:
It was a simple installation. Just connect the two wires and the 2.5mm plug that are attached to the BOMM.

Installation Time:
It took me less than 15 minutes.
SIDE NOTE: It probably would have taken less if I wasn't sucking on a beer.

My Configuration:
Zumo 550, iPhone, stock HD center console and stock HD headset.

Installation:
Connect two wires and a 2.5mm plug that are attached to the BOMM

It works GREAT!
It's so clear that folks I talk to on the phone don't even know I'm on the bike.
This thing is amazing, inexpensive, easy to install and crystal clear.

My Configuration:
Zumo 550, iPhone, stock HD center console and stock HD headset.

The actual device is fairly small and in my case easily fit with no challenges.
In the top picture you can see how small it is in comparison to the 2.5 mm plug.

No switches, no buzzing, no humming, no interference.
Just plain 'ole good clean sound for the caller and receiver.

IMHO - It works GREAT!
Folks that I speak to on the phone don't even know I'm on the bike.
This thing is amazing, inexpensive, crystal clear and easy to install.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 07:53:13 PM by Merlinii »
03 Anniviversary Silver/Black Road Glide, SERT, SE 203 & SE 95" Flats

CHUBBY® Wild1 WO517 BARS, V&H True Duals with SE II Slip Ons

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2009, 08:58:55 PM »

I don't see it in your pics.. :nixweiss:

Merlinii

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2009, 10:17:11 AM »

I don't see it in your pics.. :nixweiss:

All the pics are there.
What are you asking about?

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2009, 10:51:20 AM »

I don't see the "bluetooth bomb" on your bike.

Merlinii

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2009, 11:12:50 AM »

If you look at the pic of the side of the Zumo you can see the top 2.5mm jack for the mic.
Sorry didn't take a pic of the BOMM inside the fairing before I buttoned up the Road Glide fairing.
That thing is a PITA to get on the two "hooks" to connect it back together.
Sadly, I have messed with the RG front fairing sometimes for an hour to get those PITA two hooks to catch.
However, this particular time it went right on first time. :huepfenpinkie:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:16:10 AM by Merlinii »

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2009, 07:42:54 PM »

I see.  I didn't realize how it worked with the mic plug.  Good, simple idea!   :2vrolijk_21:

Merlinii

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2009, 08:38:54 PM »

Yepper pretty simple.

Two wires from the one end of the BOMM connect into the wiring harness on the back of the HD radio.
The wire (with the 2.5mm jack on the end) that comes out the other end of the BOMM plugs into the Zumo 550.

Viola, bluetooth calls with the Zumo 550 through the HD headset!

Installation Instructions
http://home.comcast.net/~jbissonette1//pwpimages/NCinstructions.doc

BTW - There are plenty of install pics in the doc link above including the BOMM installed inside the fairing that you asked about.

Connectors, shrink wrap, zip ties and installation instructions were all included in the package.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 09:03:38 PM by Merlinii »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 21 queries.