Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Motorcycle Road Music for Dummies  (Read 5117 times)

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
Motorcycle Road Music for Dummies
« on: February 08, 2017, 07:53:37 PM »

When it comes to mp3 type of music .....I'm the Dummy LOL ??? Previously I'd play CD's (Harley-Davidson Road Music, etc.) on my 2011 SERG .......but my 2015 SERG doesn't have a CD player :( so I've go to learn how to use a thumb drive properly::). Would love recommendations on getting my selected library of CD road music installed on a thumb drive so I'll be able to enjoy it elegantly ....complete with album art etc. Even though I've had iTunes on my laptop for years, I never really understood/learned how to use it. Googling the net for answers identifies apps like MediaMonkey and mp3tag which appear to excel at the job, but as I don't know enough to render an intelligent choice, I'd prefer that my senior citizen "learning curve" is applied to a preferred app you guys recommend. FWIW, while I have a 32gb thumb drive and a newly upgraded BOOM! Stage II system, I'd prefer quality over quantity ........i.e. fewer albums/selections at higher quality.

Thanks in advance :2vrolijk_21:
Dennis
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
Re: Motorcycle Road Music for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 07:59:49 PM »

Easy thing for you to do to get started is get a computer with a CD drive and USB, put the CD in, copy files (assume already music files) To the thumb drive and practice that way. Then you can use folders to organize.   

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

Glenncarp

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:17:36 PM »

Easy thing for you to do to get started is get a computer with a CD drive and USB, put the CD in, copy files (assume already music files) To the thumb drive and practice that way. Then you can use folders to organize.   

Second that because of you use ITUNES (and NOTHING is easy with ITUNES) it actually converts the MP3 to a file compatible with Apple. Will it play from the device you move the songs to? Most likely, but is that a door for issues to walk through? You bet.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 08:39:46 PM »

Thanks Designflaw😎. OK ....perhaps I'm a "semi-dummy" LOL. I'm aware I've got to use my laptop CD drive to rip tunes using a higher quality MP3 file. However I haven't a clue if i need to create an album folder or if the app will handle that for me via "tags" I've read certain apps will assign automatically 😳?? For all I know if I copied song into a folder the app might not "see" them😜?!?!
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 09:00:36 PM »

The thumb drive will read from the harley, the phone will read if you put the music on it.
Folders will just help control the amount of random music accessible and genre to listen to

2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 09:14:23 PM »

iTunes will automatically search the web for album cover art, and then "attach" it to the folder containing that album.  It's neat to have, but on the bike I've found that it's not as big a deal having the artwork as it is having it at the house.  You just don't have time to check the art out on a bike.

There are other key items to remember:

First, format your USB stick or SD card to FAT32 so it will be recognized by the boom box.  This isn't an option.  If you don't know how to do this, do the research on line.  This may sound harsh, but a little legwork on your part learning how to search for help on line will go a long way as you learn all about this new technology, and there are a lot of websites that offer help in plain english for folks of all levels of knowledge. 

Second, it's better to have your music arranged by artist, then albums, then songs.  iTunes does this automatically for you.  In other words, in the root directory of your stick or card (the first level of storage), you should have nothing but folders, one for your music groups.  If you look in one of those folders, you would then see the various albums you have for that group.  Then lastly, if you look in one of those album folders, you will find the songs that are in each of those albums. 
But your group folders MUST be in the root directory.  Don't have a stick or a card that has a single folder called music or whatever, and then have all your music in that folder.  The Boom Box won't find it if you do it that way.

iTunes isn't the greatest software in many ways, but it does a heck of a job of organizing and doing things automatically for you.  It would really pay for you to find some tutorials on how to use it or whichever software you decide to use.  Look on the apple site and on youtube for videos on how to.

Also, realize that you are not limited to using a USB stick for your CVO.  You can use an SD card with a USB adapter for it.  The adapters can be found at walmart for less than 10 bucks.  I use a 64gb SD card with an adapter myself, and it works just fine.

Also learn about what the speed markings on SD cards or USB sticks are all about.  There is a read speed, and then there's a write speed associated with every stick or card.  The write speed only applies when you put your music onto the card or stick.  But it's the read speed that's important for you on your CVO.

I can't remember if the USB port on the bike is 2.0 or 3.0 technology, but assuming it's 2.0, then it's slower than 3.0 by a lot, and here's what that means:

USB 2.0 read speeds are about 25 megabits per second.  What that means to you is that you need a stick or card that is at least that fast, and they'll tell you on the packaging or the device itself how fast its read speed is. 
The faster your card or stick is at read speed, the more expensive it will be.  Therefore, don't go out and buy the fastest card you can find (say, a 90mbps read speed card), as you Boom Box won't be able to make use of that extra speed, and you'll be spending more money needlessly on the faster card. 
But, do by a card that is at least 30-40 mpbs read speed (and no less), as that will be money well spent.  This is important if you have a lot of music files on your stick, as you'll want your Boom Box to read them all quickly and then show them to you quickly.  Nobody likes to wait a minute each time you start the bike, waiting on your music files to be read by the BoomBox.

Lastly, if you are "ripping" musing from CD's to iTunes or some other music app, rip them at a higher bit rate.  Don't opt for 128 mpbs bit rates, as the sound isn't that great.  People say it won't matter if you're on a bike, but I can tell the difference between a song ripped at 128mbps versus 320mbps.  320mbps is the highest rate you can rip at and mimics CD quality sound, but you pay the price by needing a lot more storage space on your stick for music recorded at that level.  The higher the rip quality, the better the sound, and the more memory the song will take up on your computer or your memory sticks.  I rip all my CD's to 256mbps.  Again, do the research on line for info on this subject.

Hope this helps. 
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 07:47:20 PM »

Harry .............thank you soooo much for helping this "semi-dummy) ::). This rudimentary information is perfect for my Boomer needs and exceeds what I was hoping for :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:!
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 08:18:43 PM »

You would "think" on a 2016/2017 bike it would be USB 3.0, but no, it's USB 2.0.  Easiest way to tell is USB 3.0 uses blue plastic inside the metal connector, instead of black (although Apple uses white - they do have to to march to their own drummer). 
2016 CVO RGU, Stardust Silver/Palladium Silver, VH Pipes and American Custom headers, VH Tuner, Klock Werks windshield, Harley Boom II Sound System

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 10:54:07 PM »

Harry .............thank you soooo much for helping this "semi-dummy) ::). This rudimentary information is perfect for my Boomer needs and exceeds what I was hoping for :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:!

Sure glad I could help.  Knowing what little I do about it, sometimes I lapse into tech talk and lose people, so I'm sorry if I did that. 
If you need more help, let me know!
Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 10:56:20 PM »

You would "think" on a 2016/2017 bike it would be USB 3.0, but no, it's USB 2.0.  Easiest way to tell is USB 3.0 uses blue plastic inside the metal connector, instead of black (although Apple uses white - they do have to to march to their own drummer).

Maczter's right.  White or black plastic inside the end of a non-apple USB cord or in the USB plug on your computer or laptop means it's a 2.0 connection.  Royal blue is the color denoting USB 3.0 and is much faster/newer technology.
Harry

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »

First, format your USB stick or SD card to FAT32 so it will be recognized by the boom box.  This isn't an option.

Well Harry, I just thought I wasn't a dummy when it came to this tech.  I've been using my old iPhone 4S as my music supply.  Thing is, the battery is beginning to go and I'm wanting to move everything off to a thumb drive or, in the case of my LG phone, I transferred it all to an SD card.
I was getting frustrated because all my music was not showing up via the thumb drive.  Actually, only 5 songs out of every album was coming up...random songs from each album.  I was just about to send you a PM asking what was going on when I read your note.  I checked the format and it's listed as exFAT as the default.  The only other option is NTFS.  So, what's the deal?

Thanks ahead of time for the reply...

Howard

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

Q
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 04:55:48 PM »

Well Harry, I just thought I wasn't a dummy when it came to this tech.  I've been using my old iPhone 4S as my music supply.  Thing is, the battery is beginning to go and I'm wanting to move everything off to a thumb drive or, in the case of my LG phone, I transferred it all to an SD card.
I was getting frustrated because all my music was not showing up via the thumb drive.  Actually, only 5 songs out of every album was coming up...random songs from each album.  I was just about to send you a PM asking what was going on when I read your note.  I checked the format and it's listed as exFAT as the default.  The only other option is NTFS.  So, what's the deal?

Thanks ahead of time for the reply...

Howard

Howard/All,

To start off with, here's an interesting site that everyone needs to check out:  http://www.pcworld.com/article/3109559/hardware/why-your-usb-drives-file-format-matters-fat32-vs-exfat-vs-ntfs.html
And here's one on NTFS formatting:  http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/definition/NTFS

The reasons why you're songs are playing or not playing in a seemingly random way escapes me.  I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but maybe someone will chime in and explain it, because I'm not sure I can.  It may be corrupt files, it could be bad sections on the thumb drive (stick) or SD card you're using, it could be something you did originally when you put the songs on the stick to begin with, and it could also be the way you've got your file structure on the drive.

My initial advice would be to buy a new stick, format it to FAT32, and then load all the songs on it that you have now, and play that new stick.  And don't copy the files from the old stick to the new one if you can avoid it.  Then see if you get the same results.  My guess is you won't. 

And while you're at it, make sure your file structure looks like my example below on the stick.  See the box in red?  DO NOT DO IT LIKE THAT!  In other words, don't have an empty folder (directory) like the one I've called "Music" and then have all your music in that.  It won't work.

See the box in green?  Set your stick, card, drive (whatever) up like that for the BoomBox. 

Questions?
Harry

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 11:55:12 PM »

Well Harry, I figured it out. The new 3.0 64 gig thumb drive I picked up Wednesday is just too new for the boom system. I installed it in our '16 BMW and it worked great. I took out the old 2.0 16 gig that is normally in the car, plugged it into the usb on the bike and waller, all the songs came up. Go figure. Problem solved. 16 gig is fine for me with about 10 gig of music.
Thanks for the help, Harry.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 09:11:38 AM »

Well Harry, I figured it out. The new 3.0 64 gig thumb drive I picked up Wednesday is just too new for the boom system. I installed it in our '16 BMW and it worked great. I took out the old 2.0 16 gig that is normally in the car, plugged it into the usb on the bike and waller, all the songs came up. Go figure. Problem solved. 16 gig is fine for me with about 10 gig of music.
Thanks for the help, Harry.

That's a new one on me.  Unless the 3.0 drive you have is not backwards compatible with 2.0 systems for some reason, but that's weird, too.
Well anyway, I'm glad it worked out.  Each time you guys work something out on your own with this tech stuff, you get more confident, and that helps everyone out!
Harry

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 11:08:07 AM »

I've ran into this same thing, but in micro chips.

Take GoPro for instance, I have a GoPro 3+ Black and it will only "read" up to a certain gig, I believe 32gig.  If you put in a new 64g or 128g, it will not work.

So the head unit or camera has to have the correct firmware (software for hardware) to be compatible with the higher capacity thumb/micro etc.  Some hardware is not able to be updated with a higher firmware.  This was a few years ago, my wife had a Sanyo phone with a micro slot for mp3's.  I found a great deal on an 8g chip and bought it.  I loaded it and the phone would not read it.  I went online and found out that the phone was only capable of reading 1g.  So at least I came out of it with another chip for other uses.

Harry, don't you use a 64g SDHC or micro chip through a reader hooked up through the Boom USB?
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 11:22:33 AM »

Hey, Dan.
You're right to bring that up.  The capacity of the stick or card can exceed the ability of the device to actually read it.
Yes, I use a 64gb card with the BoomBox, and it works just fine.
Technology even just a couple of years old oftentimes won't read more than an 8gb or 16gb card.  If you're unsure about that, do the research on your device.  The manual or someplace on the web should tell you what your device can read.
Harry

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 20 queries.