Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Chrome Issues  (Read 2851 times)

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
Re: Chrome Issues
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 11:42:51 AM »

Heel shifter chrome peeled.... Dealer replaced with no questions asked.
The impossible just takes a little longer

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 04:47:26 PM »

You know, there has to be a price for living in paradise.  If you would prefer living in the armpit of the country, perhaps you and I could trade places. ;)

Here's the thing about chrome plating, and you already hit on it in your post.  If the base material is already oxidized or contaminated, the plating will not hold up.  Of course, the plater is supposed to control those things and not just dump oxidized parts into the process.  That's why I say the peeling issue is a manufacturing defect and should be warranted.  Now pitting is a different thing and can be related to all that salt air over in paradise, or road salt here in the snow belt.

Btw, just because H-D says something doesn't mean it's gospel.  They have been known to scrounge for every possible excuse to deny warranty coverage, and just love to tell folks that's normal, they all do it, we don't cover cosmetic items, it failed because of your modifications, we just don't like you and wish you would go away, etc. 

Jerry

Here's how bad it is here..

SE Vrod, 3 months old... garage kept, chrome started peeling. NO coverage. Customer was NOT happy and took varios course of actions including legal ones. Claim was still denied.

Its not like salt on the roads that gets kicked up when you ride, the salt air is everywhere.

Chrome plating in itself is not a foolproof process, and each layer is not impermiable by the elements. Inner corners of a component are more likely to peel or otherwise oxidize first, as will the openings in the cool billet pieces as there is less adhesion of the layers of material in those spots.

Copper, Nickle, Chrome (Sometimes in multiple layers) And its not always prep work that is failing. There are simply some parts that should not be chrome.

Rear brake lever in Steel, NO Issues with 65K and hardly ever cleaned (My old DD FLSTFI) compared to my 6 month old FLTRSE3 with more maintenance and care than the FLSTFI ever got in its life. (Maybe not now... momma rides it now and actually cleans it)

I have had HD billet mirrors on the Fatboy as well, the chrome failed in the stems just lke the CVO mirrors do. There is also a way to get more electroplating adhesion in those spots, but the process is more lengthy and thus more costly.

Remember also that oxidation requires 1) OXYGEN and 2) Metal (Something to oxidize)

Cost of living in paradise? Dont I know it... try Cost of Living, Home prices, and Being held hostage by the HD distributor as well as the State of Hawaii!

I'll be honest, if our family home wasnt here and we didnt have to care for mom as she ages, we'd be gone and somewhere else in the country.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Blazo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 08:54:31 PM »

Just picked my bike up from the dealer (in for ABS reflash). The service writer told me that the only SERG she's seen for warranty work was for a new front wheel due to peeling chrome.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 12:52:05 AM »

Just picked my bike up from the dealer (in for ABS reflash). The service writer told me that the only SERG she's seen for warranty work was for a new front wheel due to peeling chrome.

No issues with wheel chrome... but I do keep those nice and shiny...  :huepfenlol2:

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 12:56:32 PM »

Dealer noticed the front wheel chome peeling on mine at first serice and they replaced it.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

southtxcruiser

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 1990 Heritage Softail
    • CVO3: 2005 Saxon Sceptre
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 11:10:03 PM »

heel shifter is peeling and so is the left side mirror ..(right where the flutes are ) hopefully they will fix it with no issues... bike only has 1400 miles on it... ughhhhhh
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 22 queries.