Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Chrome Issues  (Read 2872 times)

HawgSounds

• The Ultimate in Harley Sound Systems
  • Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • The Ultimate in Harley Davidson Sound Systems

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2005 CVO Electric Glide
    • www.hawgsounds.com
Chrome Issues
« on: August 23, 2009, 11:17:05 PM »

Has anyone have a issues with the chrome peeling on the foot brake arm, and pit's in the fork legs. Let me know. Thanks
Motorcycles Unlimited -Hawg Sounds
269 S Beverly Drive Unit 201
Beverly Hills, Ca 90212
1-877-888-2788

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
Re: Chrome Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 11:20:04 PM »

Foot brake arm... on the underside of the pedal?.... yep.. first place mine started to go sour.... I'm going black PC for that and the shifter arms. (shifter arms are OK so far) but I wanted extended arms anyway... my feet are too big

The fork legs seem to be OK... so far... I actually clean those regularly

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 11:26:08 PM »

Has anyone have a issues with the chrome peeling on the foot brake arm, and pit's in the fork legs. Let me know. Thanks

Rode on PCH today and cleaned the bike when I got back for that reason.  Sounds like a WARRANTY ISSUE to me.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 07:26:18 AM »

Have a friend that had to replace his front wheel due to chrome peeling.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 07:57:09 AM »

Just a shifter lever peeled so far.  Doc

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 04:23:38 PM »

Just a shifter lever peeled so far.  Doc

I kind of expect the stuff on the lower half of the bike to take a beating... (shifter arms and brake arm...) Makes me wonder WTF the MoCo was thinking by chroming the floorboard brackets...?  :nixweiss:

HawgSounds

• The Ultimate in Harley Sound Systems
  • Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • The Ultimate in Harley Davidson Sound Systems

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2005 CVO Electric Glide
    • www.hawgsounds.com
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 04:26:53 PM »

Bike with 2300 miles. ? :o
Motorcycles Unlimited -Hawg Sounds
269 S Beverly Drive Unit 201
Beverly Hills, Ca 90212
1-877-888-2788

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 07:05:33 PM »

mine are pealing too     

have to go to dealer ,having other issues also

jon
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 08:37:49 PM »

I kind of expect the stuff on the lower half of the bike to take a beating... (shifter arms and brake arm...) Makes me wonder WTF the MoCo was thinking by chroming the floorboard brackets...?  :nixweiss:

If they are chromed properly it wouldn't make a difference.  No peeling on my '05, even adjacent to where I've ground them down to base metal when cornering.  If the chrome plating is peeling, you have a substandard plating job and it should be covered under the terms of the warranty.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 11:36:16 PM »

If you have an O/B SERG the chrome could be pealing from excessive G forces during acceleration. This is a common problem with the quicker color. The chrome is literally being ripped off and after time the paint will show some burning. I don't think there is an answer except to have it painted silver or yellow... :drink: 
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 01:24:24 AM »

If they are chromed properly it wouldn't make a difference.  No peeling on my '05, even adjacent to where I've ground them down to base metal when cornering.  If the chrome plating is peeling, you have a substandard plating job and it should be covered under the terms of the warranty.

Jerry

You've apparently never lived in and tried to maintain Chrome on a DD in Hawaii.

The floorboard brackets SO FAR on my FLTRSE3 are OK, as long as I keep themn clean and polished. At base they are a ferrous metal and give relatively few problems. The brake pedal on the other hand is aluminum, and aluminum is porus and if oxidation has begun prior to plating, you cant stop it.

The problem is so bad, HD will warranty ONE piece of chrome during the warranty period if your bike is garaged here. Anything else is considered "normal wear and tear" for this environment.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 05:51:44 AM »

If you have an O/B SERG the chrome could be pealing from excessive G forces during acceleration. This is a common problem with the quicker color. The chrome is literally being ripped off and after time the paint will show some burning. I don't think there is an answer except to have it painted silver or yellow... :drink: 

HiHi , you are leaning very far outwards with this statement . Muhuhuhahaha
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 06:48:17 AM »

I've to fully agree with Highwaystar!!

Bandit
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

OneMoreTime

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 08:28:01 AM »

[/quote

If it aint American it aint chit!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 08:43:35 AM »

You've apparently never lived in and tried to maintain Chrome on a DD in Hawaii.

The floorboard brackets SO FAR on my FLTRSE3 are OK, as long as I keep themn clean and polished. At base they are a ferrous metal and give relatively few problems. The brake pedal on the other hand is aluminum, and aluminum is porus and if oxidation has begun prior to plating, you cant stop it.

The problem is so bad, HD will warranty ONE piece of chrome during the warranty period if your bike is garaged here. Anything else is considered "normal wear and tear" for this environment.

You know, there has to be a price for living in paradise.  If you would prefer living in the armpit of the country, perhaps you and I could trade places. ;)

Here's the thing about chrome plating, and you already hit on it in your post.  If the base material is already oxidized or contaminated, the plating will not hold up.  Of course, the plater is supposed to control those things and not just dump oxidized parts into the process.  That's why I say the peeling issue is a manufacturing defect and should be warranted.  Now pitting is a different thing and can be related to all that salt air over in paradise, or road salt here in the snow belt.

Btw, just because H-D says something doesn't mean it's gospel.  They have been known to scrounge for every possible excuse to deny warranty coverage, and just love to tell folks that's normal, they all do it, we don't cover cosmetic items, it failed because of your modifications, we just don't like you and wish you would go away, etc. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 22 queries.