Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: LED's on your bike  (Read 8045 times)

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
LED's on your bike
« on: June 12, 2008, 12:18:16 PM »

I'm curious to know what everyone's opinion is about LED's on your bike. A couple of buddies of mine just laid down $700.00 a piece for a complete set of lights last weekend at the state Hog rally. I like the look on some bikes but then again I look at other bikes and it reminds me of the "Goldwing parade of lights at Americade". What do all of you think? Do you think it's overkill or does it really bring out the details of the bike?

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: LED's on your bike
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 12:36:20 PM »

Except for replacing turn signal and tail light bulbs - Never. Never. Never.  Just plain goofy.  Seems to be largely the same people who drive a Civic with a fart-can muffler stuck on the back.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 12:54:02 PM »

I had LED's on a Road Glide I had and found I never used them . I am very seldom out at night so they show up to well during the day. :-*
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 12:58:58 PM »

Overkill....

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 01:33:58 PM »

:nixweiss:  My wife thinks they are cool.  I have seen a few bikes that I thought they looked good on, but they are not for me.  I think some folks get carried away with putting stuff on their bikes - just for the sake of putting more stuff on.....I refer to them as "Gypsy Wagons".

If you like them, go for it.  Myself, I have other things to do with my $$$ (wifey is not winning on this one)

wenchal

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRU
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC - SOLD
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 01:48:56 PM »

YUCK!!!

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 02:22:45 PM »

Got 'em, love 'em, doesn't look anything like a GW.   :confused5:

Didn't spend anywhere near $700.00.  Less than a third of that. 

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 02:36:43 PM »

I've got em on my bike and I think they look sweet. Was on the fence about getting them, but had a bunch of gift cert. for HD and couldn't think of anything else. Someday when I'm bored and its dark out I'll post a pic.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 02:57:39 PM »

Thats a personal choice. I've seen some HD's that look pretty good, others in my opinion overkill. Hey,  but if you like it don't  be concerned about what others think. THE MUFFMAN

harleydawg57

• Full CVO Member
  • "Raring to go-- but can't go for raring!!"

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG orange/black
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 02:59:15 PM »

The 2 times I have been down on my bikes were at night and it was cause the people in cages say they can not see us--by gosh with leds they can not help but see me.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
HD six speed-True Duals with Samson slip ons- S & S gear drive cams with oiling fuel pump-power commander-Kuyakyn rear adjustable rider pegs-HD tuner-Hawg-Wired amp and speakers w/Sony Tuner xm sat radio-Boogey Lights

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 03:01:31 PM »

The 2 times I have been down on my bikes were at night and it was cause the people in cages say they can not see us--by gosh with leds they can not help but see me.

I have an LED strip across the tube under the rear of my tour pak.  It is a running light and a brake light.  Being seen is precisely why I added it.   Loud pipes and lights!  :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 03:14:15 PM »

I have an LED strip across the tube under the rear of my tour pak.  It is a running light and a brake light.  Being seen is precisely why I added it.   Loud pipes and lights!  :2vrolijk_21:

Exactly what I did on my tour pak. Don't need a cage running into my rear end! THE MUFFMAN

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 03:23:08 PM »

Yep..............tastefully done they're well worth the effort and minor expense.  :2vrolijk_21:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

MOBlue

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 04:02:30 PM »

After damn near getting my ass run-over at Daytona at night, I put them on my  :pumpkin: and would never ride at night without them. They make a big differance in the dark, but, I did not get the pulsating style. A little too much bling for me.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 04:47:45 PM »

Have on the red bike and I'm a lot more visible at night.  On the fence about putting them on the pumpkin though.  As for $700, that's WAY too much.  You can have them done quite well for $200-$250.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 05:24:49 PM »

I have seen great jobs(LEDs)  and some very bad Jobs,

I look at like a Paint job, not every paint job do I like but to each his own.

Generally I do not mind them and on occasion I really like them.

The real determining factor is how good of job is it......If I do not see the LEDs directly and the display is uniform and

balanced, I think it can add a flair to the bike at night......but as to some paint jobs you can get carried away and end

up with a circus
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:58:46 PM by FLHTCUSE3 »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 05:54:19 PM »

I have LED's on my RKC and CVO Springer and get compliments on both bikes whenever they are turned on, it really looks good with the chrome IMO. I know of several biker friends and HOG members that have put LED's on their bikes after seeing mine. The RKC has blue H-D LED's so I can't ride with them on, so I only turn them on while parked. I installed Boogey Lights TNT Series Orange LED's on my CVO Springer and I can ride with these turned on and they really help with visibility at night so other vehicles can see me better. Cost was only a couple C-notes, not anywhere close to the $700.00 that guys pay to have them installed at a bike rally. I think it is a personal preference, either you like them or you hate them...fortunately, it doesn't matter what others think about me or my bikes, all that matters is that I like them.

brhulen

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary #1009
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTCI Jade Sun Glo Pearl
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 10:56:35 PM »

I converted to LED for brake/tail/signal lights, and am very satisfied with them.  I had seen the triple flash and then stay on brake light once before and it really caught my eye, even in bright sunlight.  I believe that this post was probably more directed towards the "bling" dress up lights and IMHO I think they would look okay on a town cruiser, but would look a little silly out on the highway.  That being said, in time I will probably buy the tour pack and saddle bag LED set, but for increased visibility from the rear rather than show.  If you like the looks of it then by all means go ahead and put them on.  Each bike is a direct reflection, or in this case illumination of it's owner, so don't be dissuaded by what someone else does or doesn't do to their bike.
Brett in AK

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 11:41:06 PM »

Both my friends got what I like to call the Christmas tree lights. These LED's change into 7 different colors, blink, flash, and pulse. They can leave it one color or they can mix it up. They even got key fob's to control all this madness. I think it was Oger lights that put them on. The tech did great work. Still, 7 bills is a lot to me to put on a light show. Like I said before, some look good and others belong in Vegas.

boxmaker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 11:51:25 PM »

Okay guys, I need some help locating the LED's that I had on my '06 Watermelon.  I had a length across the leather tour pak, and it worked as both running lights and brake light. Now that that bike is in the scrape heap, I need to repurchase this assembly for my replacement '06 SE but over the past three years I've forgotten where I bought them.  The bar that one of you mentioned (sadunbar)sounds exactly like what I had.  Who is the manufacturer of this item . . . please, and thank you :-)

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 04:40:05 AM »

Never for show, but to enhance road safety at night. I have Kuryakin mirrors with LEDS mounted on the fairing. And a LED tail/brake light plus the TRI LED additional tail/brake light, both from H-D.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

TORKER07

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 05:24:57 AM »

If tastefully done I love them for safety. I personally have Blue ones and I do ride with them on, most cops just look at me and usually give me a thumbs up. Like I said don't do too many and you should look great.

I think with the Blue ones I makes cagers take a second look, which is what I want them to do.

Tork

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2008, 01:58:39 PM »

I've seen bikes with LEDs in parking lots at night. Much more visible to the cagers backing out of parking spots. Some need all the help they can get.
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 05:49:57 PM »

Okay guys, I need some help locating the LED's that I had on my '06 Watermelon.  I had a length across the leather tour pak, and it worked as both running lights and brake light. Now that that bike is in the scrape heap, I need to repurchase this assembly for my replacement '06 SE but over the past three years I've forgotten where I bought them.  The bar that one of you mentioned (sadunbar)sounds exactly like what I had.  Who is the manufacturer of this item . . . please, and thank you :-)

This is the company you need for the TourPak lights :

http://www.customdynamics.com/index.htm

TORKER07 be careful if you ever ride in Virginia, you will be stopped rapidly if you are on the road with blue lights and lucky if all you get is a ticket and not a ride to jail. Some officers don't have compassion and they consider unauthorized red or blue lights to be impersonating and officer. Other non DOT or SAE approved lights are just an equipment violation.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 06:59:44 PM »

I can say that in CO there are three diff statutes that unauth blue and red lights can be written under one is a fine one is a misd and one is a felony. Depends on intent.

hossdog

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 10:15:15 PM »

It's your bike, if you like the lights get em that's what having a Harley is all about. I like the looks and they have a purpose. We need all the visability we can get.
Jesus loves bikers too !

TORKER07

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 12:06:01 AM »

This is the company you need for the TourPak lights :

http://www.customdynamics.com/index.htm

TORKER07 be careful if you ever ride in Virginia, you will be stopped rapidly if you are on the road with blue lights and lucky if all you get is a ticket and not a ride to jail. Some officers don't have compassion and they consider unauthorized red or blue lights to be impersonating and officer. Other non DOT or SAE approved lights are just an equipment violation.

Thanks for the tip, I tried to arrange them so they are not pointing outward in any direction and they aren't very bright. Don't know if they would actually offend anybody. I really don't see any more harm than a glaring GPS screen the cagers have, or the drop down LCD video players that point out the rear of soccer mom mini vans.
Either way I'd be careful out of my home state (MI).

Tork

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 05:52:54 PM »

Got 'em, love 'em, doesn't look anything like a GW.   :confused5:

Didn't spend anywhere near $700.00.  Less than a third of that. 

GhostRider, I have the same bike, what color did you go with? Think i am going with all white.

SERK3
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 05:56:54 PM »

GhostRider, I have the same bike, what color did you go with? Think i am going with all white.

SERK3

I went with amber.  A poor attempt to try and stay in color scheme.  (Red and gold)

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 12:39:02 AM »

I would have to say that the white lights look the best. JMO though. The only problem is that if you get the lights put on, then you have to make sure that after you wash your bike that you get all the water spots off because those LED's will show everything that you missed.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 08:40:05 AM »

I went with amber.  A poor attempt to try and stay in color scheme.  (Red and gold)

The one redeeming value with amber is that it is legal
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 08:45:22 AM »

Have helped several folks install lights on their bikes - usually engine chrome highlight LEDs and usually that looks very good.  An individual preference - not Gold Wing looking with the crazy carousel of color.  Takes a couple of hours or so & now there are LED modules that plug together that makes this process VERY easy.  If you can plug in a lamp and make tape stick and know how to go to the battery with wires positive/ground - you can do it.  $700 is freakin' ridiculous, but it is less than $750....

I did the Custom Dynamics LED strip (brake/runninglights/blinkers) on the back of my leather TP & it still gets a lot of comments as to how visible it is at night.  Did not do engine lights on the jester. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

crazybob

• 2018 Limited CVO Utra SCREAMIN EAGLE !!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Let's go RIDE!!!!!
    • MD

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 06:35:24 PM »

I have them and love them.......I would not have it any other way... :2vrolijk_21:
18 CVO Ultra limited just picked up!!!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 09:45:43 PM »

Except for replacing turn signal and tail light bulbs - Never. Never. Never.  Just plain goofy.  Seems to be largely the same people who drive a Civic with a fart-can muffler stuck on the back.

Guess I'll have to go shopping for a Civic  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

crazybob

• 2018 Limited CVO Utra SCREAMIN EAGLE !!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Let's go RIDE!!!!!
    • MD

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2008, 06:04:39 AM »

Guess I'll have to go shopping for a Civic  :nixweiss:

Maybe if we go buy 2 at the same time we can get a deal. I want a white civic.... :bananarock: :bananarock:
18 CVO Ultra limited just picked up!!!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2008, 04:59:39 PM »

OK, a different take on the subject, but here are my LEDs.

The idea behind these are for the marshalling work I do for the breast cancer walks here in Atlanta. The lights were actually donated by the southeast regional rep for Whelen. They are all Whelen TIR3 LEDs synched together and running off of a wireless 'always-on' remote. I put the synch trigger through one of the small holes in the mid section panel behind the motor so the patterns can be changed at will.

I'm tired of getting honked at and flipped off when working the walks and training walks, so hopefully these will make it look a bit more official and the cagers will be a bit more forgiving of some of the liberties we take when working the events.

Don't stare at these suckers, because they're real effing bright.

:indian_chief:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 05:06:57 PM by Chief »

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2008, 05:00:19 PM »

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2008, 05:00:49 PM »

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 05:01:18 PM »

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2008, 05:01:49 PM »

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2008, 05:02:21 PM »

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2008, 05:05:11 PM »

You really should pick up all the screw drivers and pliers before snapping the photos!  ;D
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2008, 05:06:26 PM »

Nice LEDs.   :2vrolijk_21:

The underside of the tour pak is way too clean, and I don't see any signs of mold....

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2008, 05:09:33 PM »

You really should pick up all the screw drivers and pliers before snapping the photos!  ;D

No time for cleanliness. I had to get these all installed and wired up so we can leave o-dark-thirty tomorrow for Daytona. I wonder if I'll be brave enough to turn these on to help us get out of the speedway after the race on Saturday. :nixweiss:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2008, 05:10:48 PM »

Nice LEDs.   :2vrolijk_21:

The underside of the tour pak is way too clean, and I don't see any signs of mold....

As demonstrated to me personally, the mold goes in the inside, which isn't obvious until closely scrutinized.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2008, 05:12:49 PM »

As demonstrated to me personally, the mold goes in the inside, which isn't obvious until closely scrutinized.

Ok.  So it's an INSIDE mold problem.  sounds similar to the dead cat problem, except one is mold & the other is a cat.   ;D

Are those as blinding bright in person as they appear to be?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2008, 05:15:38 PM »

Hey Chief, they're too cool.  I like 'em, but would get into trouble with them, 'cause I'd use them a lot!  As bright as they are, you're not going to get run over.......maybe cause a problem, but......not get run over.  :2vrolijk_21: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2008, 05:20:39 PM »

When I was looking at them last night and was off-axis a bit, they're pretty bright. As soon as I got down in the actual beam, they are REALLY bright. I opened the doors of the basement and they were lighting up the trees 100' away.

Last year I had some Street Glow strobes that I got off of ebay. They were pretty neat when it was dark, but were hardly visible in sunlight. I won't have that problem with these. These are the same units that go on police vehicles, around license plates and behind the grills, except they have better colors.  ;)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2008, 05:22:49 PM »

Hey Chief, they're too cool.  I like 'em, but would get into trouble with them, 'cause I'd use them a lot!  As bright as they are, you're not going to get run over.......maybe cause a problem, but......not get run over.  :2vrolijk_21: har!  spyder

Since they're white I can't get in trouble for impersonating, but if people draw the wrong conclusion and move out of my way, I won't stop them.  ;)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2008, 05:37:03 PM »

Ok.  So it's an INSIDE mold problem.  sounds similar to the dead cat problem, except one is mold & the other is a cat.   ;D

When you're right iski, you're right.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2008, 05:41:46 PM »

Since they're white I can't get in trouble for impersonating, but if people draw the wrong conclusion and move out of my way, I won't stop them.  ;)

Do they flash?   if they did around here you would not make it a couple miles before getting stopped in Pennsylvania.  illegal to have flashing lights any color except amber
Formally FLHTCUSE3

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2008, 05:47:07 PM »

I would doubt anyone would say, Hey I saw you but decided to hit you for the hell of it.  Its not your fault they are stupid, ignorant, drunk, asleep, or distracted.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2008, 06:15:25 PM »

Those appear to be the same type of strobes that are on our FD staff vehicles. I'll have to take pictures of the Prius I'm driving daily now that I'm assigned to the Fire Marshal's office. I call it my "Emergency Response Hybrid". :) What is funnier then that is to see my long-legged arse get in and out of it. :shocked2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2008, 06:56:27 PM »

"Emergency Response Hybrid". :) What is funnier then that is to see my long-legged arse get in and out of it. :shocked2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:worthless:   (couldn't resist that one.....you left it 'wide-open'.  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2008, 07:12:31 PM »

:worthless:   (couldn't resist that one.....you left it 'wide-open'.  har!  spyder
I'm sure I'll be able to find some volunteer from my fellow FF's to take those pictures. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2008, 07:49:44 PM »

Do they flash?   if they did around here you would not make it a couple miles before getting stopped in Pennsylvania.  illegal to have flashing lights any color except amber

Oh yea, 15 different flash patterns. I guess I won't be using them in Pennsylvania. Actually they're temporary and will be coming off as soon as the BC walks are over in October. But in the meantime I'll have some fun with them.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2008, 07:51:01 PM »

Too bad I wasn't here, or I would have used that one.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2008, 08:03:01 PM »

Too bad I wasn't here, or I would have used that one.

I did mention to the Fire Marshal today that if the city really wants to go "green" why don't they get me a motorcyle to ride. :sneaky:

They have FD Medics on Harley's...

Why not Fire Marshal's on Harleys? :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2008, 08:07:42 PM »

Those windscreen strobes look like they'd be distracting to the rider at night.  :-\ spyder

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2008, 08:11:07 PM »

Those windscreen strobes look like they'd be distracting to the rider at night.  :-\ spyder

Those windscreen strobes are the same Whelen units I've got. With the long flanges on them, you can't hardly tell they're on unless you can see the lens.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2008, 08:12:58 PM »

You'd be surprised the beam of light is focused forward and will not distract you. What are really bad are what are called "Mars" lights (they make a figure eight pattern). They are really bad in rain/fog to the point that they need to be shut off. :nervous:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2008, 10:55:52 AM »

I have them...in blue, of course.  All hidden up undeneath or behind, so that you only see reflections and rays.  Most of the Nor Cal members have them (probably due to the fact that we're all close to Jim's).  They add a nice touch if they're color coordinated and done tastefully.  I have saw some tacky applications, though.  $700 is way, way to much to spend on them.

For a look at some of the Nor Cal crew, you can flip through this thread........    http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=1427.0
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2008, 06:22:22 PM »

Hey Chief - here in Jersey we have "procession" statutes, have any thing similar down there? Gives us the ability to "block" intersections and protect the group integrity.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2008, 06:24:07 PM »

What are really bad are what are called "Mars" lights They are really bad need to be shut off.

We had them too, called them "Leonard lights" after one of our more "interesting" members.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 09:31:12 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2008, 04:42:22 PM »

Hey Chief - here in Jersey we have "procession" statutes, have any thing similar down there? Gives us the ability to "block" intersections and protect the group integrity.

PH,

Maybe, don't know for certain. Since our walks are coordinated with the local PD's, we work with the LEOs so there isn't ever a problem with 'bending' a few here and there.  ;)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2008, 06:30:13 PM »

I love LEDs on bikes. I love the ones on my bike and my husband's bike.  Would I/We do it again?  No!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do they look good?  Yes!
Do you use them enough for the cost? No!

And now - after a couple of years, my husband's LEDs have moved around after different service works and are not as well placed originally - but this of course is overcomable.
Mine on the other hand, some where in and amongst them, there is a problem that caused my battery to die, and need early replacement.  No sooner replaced the battery than the new one went dead.  Have narrowed it down that the LEDs somewhere, somehow are a problem and so are now disconnected.  Worth the cost?  I think not. 

JMHO of course, you do as you wish.  Again, do I like them?  Yes, just would not do it again.

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2008, 03:52:19 AM »

I'm under the impression that all of these lighting companies are going to take you for a ride. just for S&G's one of my buddies talked to the guys at Boogy lights just a couple of weeks ago and their price was close to $700 also and that was for one color. I think you might as well tie a flashlight to the bike and be done with it     :huepfenjump3:

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2008, 06:43:07 AM »

LED'S are quite inexpensive if you do a self install. I just installed a strip of reds behind my backing plate of the a/c. It provides a subtle lighting on the engine area without being too squirrelly. Cost me about $20.00 plus an hour of my time to install. THE MUFFMAN

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2008, 07:50:15 AM »

If Boogey Lights have went up that much (700.00) I should have had them put on last year at the Myrtle Beach Fall Rally. They quoted me 450.00 for one color, motor, front and rear wheels and accent strip under saddle bags. Man I screwed up on this one.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2008, 07:53:44 AM »

Average cost for 10 LED light pods, a switch, tape, and wire is less than $200 depending on where you shop, if you do the install yourself. 

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2008, 10:26:46 AM »

Boogy lights were at Coyote Joe's which is the local biker bar hangout here in town. Joe's has a big party called the "Big Twin Blowout" during the Honda Hoot and all sorts of venders were there also. Needless to say, thats when we walked up to their trailer. No bikes were being worked on so we hit them up for a price and was floored when the guy said he wanted 6 and change for one color( getting in the ballpark of 7). If I decide to ever put LED's on, looks like I'm going to buy some myself and try a good ol' self install.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2008, 10:35:16 AM »

I love LEDs on bikes. I love the ones on my bike and my husband's bike.  Would I/We do it again?  No!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do they look good?  Yes!
Do you use them enough for the cost? No!

And now - after a couple of years, my husband's LEDs have moved around after different service works and are not as well placed originally - but this of course is overcomable.
Mine on the other hand, some where in and amongst them, there is a problem that caused my battery to die, and need early replacement.  No sooner replaced the battery than the new one went dead.  Have narrowed it down that the LEDs somewhere, somehow are a problem and so are now disconnected.  Worth the cost?  I think not. 

JMHO of course, you do as you wish.  Again, do I like them?  Yes, just would not do it again.

I'm with you Mrs. We. I liked the look of the lights on my bike but when I swapped the frame I never re-connected them.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2008, 12:19:58 PM »

I'm with you Mrs. We. I liked the look of the lights on my bike but when I swapped the frame I never re-connected them.

Jamey says that there are two kinds of bikes.  One you ride, and one you show.  If you want a show bike - you can baby stuff like this. If you ride them, then this is an expensive ornament that if I could do it again, I'd find much better stuff to spend a whole lotta money on.  JMHO of course. 

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2008, 12:27:10 PM »

Jamey says that there are two kinds of bikes.  One you ride, and one you show.  If you want a show bike - you can baby stuff like this. If you ride them, then this is an expensive ornament that if I could do it again, I'd find much better stuff to spend a whole lotta money on.  JMHO of course. 

Yep, I would agree.  The LED lights look good, but they are not for me.

I like my bike to look good, but I want stuff that is durable & dependable ;)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2008, 01:16:28 PM »

Yep, I would agree.  The LED lights look good, but they are not for me.

I like my bike to look good, but I want stuff that is durable & dependable ;)
They can be both if installed correctly.  Look at all the other delicate electronics, etc. on our scooters that function (most of the time) with dependability.  :o har!  :drink: spyder

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2008, 01:31:41 PM »

They can be both if installed correctly.  Look at all the other delicate electronics, etc. on our scooters that function (most of the time) with dependability.  :o har!  :drink: spyder

Ok, you are right.......  if done right, they should not cause any problems.  Might have to replace the double-sided tape ever so often.

Still not for me though.....Like Candy, just not sure how often I would actually use them.

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2008, 01:39:39 PM »

Still not for me though.....Like Candy, just not sure how often I would actually use them 
Thats it in a nut shell. I like the looks some some bikes and I really considering getting some but at the moment my job is really getting in the way of my riding time.  Things change though and I may be finding myself putting some on.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 21 queries.