Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Road King too big  (Read 14568 times)

PedroHarley

Road King too big
« on: September 25, 2011, 10:39:22 PM »

I think that my Road King is too big for me. I drive it around and always feel like I will lay it down at it at every stoplite. In the last three weeks it has seen the ground for times. I make a rite turn at a stop sign to exit my housing complex and almost every time I end up in the wrong lane, the oncoming traffic lane. I then have to urgently correct to try ot get over. Certainly a big bike should be able to turn better than this.

Is the motor cycle too big for me, or is there a chance that it is defective, and this is something that I could get fixed under warranty?

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: Road King too big
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 10:47:06 PM »

I think that my Road King is too big for me. I drive it around and always feel like I will lay it down at it at every stoplite. In the last three weeks it has seen the ground for times. I make a rite turn at a stop sign to exit my housing complex and almost every time I end up in the wrong lane, the oncoming traffic lane. I then have to urgently correct to try ot get over. Certainly a big bike should be able to turn better than this.

Is the motor cycle too big for me, or is there a chance that it is defective, and this is something that I could get fixed under warranty?

Did you test ride the bike before you bought it?

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:50:25 PM »

Are you using the front brake during low speed manuveres, are you looking down at the front wheel and not where you want to go? Have you ever tken a motorcycle safety course, how long have you been riding and what have you ridden in the past?

geezerglide

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:53:30 PM »

Don't know much from the post, but not to make you feel bad, I have a friend,who is four feet 8 inches tall and less than 100 pounds, she has no problem with her Road King goes to Sturgis from Ohio every year. 

Is this the first bike you have ever ridden, sounds like time for a riders course.  Good luck keep us posted.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 11:00:27 PM »

Most important question:  Have you ever ridden a motorcycle before?

If not, get off now while you still have your health and go take an MSF or other motorcycle rider beginners course.  Sounds like you haven't learned how to safely maneuver yet.  Much less how to countersteer.

Please, don't ride until you have had the course.  None of us here want to get bad news about a rider.  I know a lot of short guys and gals that can handle the Road King so size shouldn't be the problem for you.  Winding up in the wrong lane when exiting the driveway is a sure sign your skills aren't there yet.

If you have experience then you wouldn't be having the problems you mentioned even on a big bike.  You will love the course and you will learn a lot that you need to know now, not later.

Let us know how it turns out.
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 11:41:44 PM »

Pedro, reread your intro and other posts. You went from a 250 Honda Rebel to a Road King after taking the MSF course at age 57 (I'm 57 myself). That's a huge jump in size, power and required skill.

To answer your question, the Road King is not too big for you but it is more bike than your current skill level can handle. I also noticed that you are in So Cal. You had a few responses from Ironhorse (Mark). I would highly suggest that you contact him immediately and arrange to spend at least a half day with him. A full day would be even better. He teaches rider skills professionally and can teach you how to feel more comfortable and confident on your bike. Then, it's just a matter of miles and practice.

Don't get discouraged. We've all dumped our bikes a time or three. The best thing to do is to get some accelerated skills training.

Good luck!

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 11:55:25 PM »

Hey I'm also 57.  Buncha old farts in here.  :)

Pedro, I missed your intro.  The MSF course should have left you with the skills you need to maneuver your bike safely.  I agree 100% with Early.  Get some more hands on help from an experienced instructor asap.
Arlo Guthrie

zedlep

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 01:17:12 AM »

Get off the road and off that bike! You're gonna kill someone!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 01:29:54 AM »

What Buy early said... X 3 ! !

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 07:51:33 AM »

The wife used to have a 250 Rebel (fun bike).  They are ridiculously easy to ride so I can see how you might have difficulty going straight from that to a RK without any prior experience.  The Road King does the same things, just not as easily as a 300 lb bike.  I agree that you should take another riding course.  Watch the Ride Like a Pro video and you will be surprised what can be done with a big touring bike.  Low speed handling is the hardest part to master.  If you still have the Rebel get back on that for a while and practice where there aren't as many consequences for making a mistake (you can't concentrate on what you are doing if you have to deal with traffic at the same time). 
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 09:53:17 AM »

I agree with the others. Jumping from a 300 pound bike to a 800 pound bike is a hard thing to do. Get with Ironhorse or another instructor ASAP! I still go to the school down the street from time to time on weekends and practice my low speed maneuvers in the empty parking lot. You can never get enough practice. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

ralford

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Ultra Classic
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 10:10:38 AM »

Have to sympathize with you a bit.  I have several years experience on BMWs, KTM and the like, all designed for Teutonic gods, which I'm not.  Generally on toes at a stop sign and haven't ever fallen over coming to a stop unless it is a particularly difficult location (stopping on strike of steep hill, off camber?.) 

However, I find my Ultra extremely treacherous to bring to a stop.  With the weight and lack of leverage if the bike gets say 5 degrees off plumb it is going down!  I think the problem is the huge front end dive when you use the front brake.  Difficult to use only the rear since you can only hold up on the left side.  I think this is the result of the primitive suspension and forks.  I've seen improved forks that might help, but that is pure speculation.

When the front end dives under braking it will steer the bike unexpectedly unless absolutely straight and vertical.  I've noticed that applying the brakes in one continuous stop seems to help.

Good luck.

kruisin

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 03:40:57 PM »

I agree with the "get more instruction and experience".

Also, how does the bike fit you, bars, seat height, etc.??

My wife rides a 05 SE Electra Glide and can give anyone a run for their money slow or fast, she's 5'4", has her suspension lowered and had Corbin make a fitted seat so she can comfortably hold the bike up at a stop.
00 FLHRI suede green/vivid black
king tp
Bassani head pipes, Sampson mufflers
stage 1 a/c
chrome here, there and everywhere.

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 04:08:32 PM »

re. "Difficult to use only the rear since you can only hold up on the left side."

Keeping a foot on the rear brake after a stop may look cook but it's a lot safer to bring the bike to a complete stop and put both feet down.  No reason to keep your right foot on the brake after you stop since the front brake is the safest to use then.  The only time I do that is if I have to stop on the downside of an incline, since I'll need my right hand for throttle to make sure I don't stall.  No fun stalling on an incline, especially if you have to make a turn.

Hey Pedro, if you are going to ride anyway despite our warnings:

Keep your head up in a slow turn and look to where you want the bike to go.  If you look at the center line or the oncoming car your bike will go towards them, the more you panic, the worse it will be.

In slow turns keep your foot lightly on the rear brake while feathering rpms to about 1100.  The revs of the engine act like a gyroscope and will keep your bike up.  And you can turn so sharply that you can scrape your floorboards.  (Don't try that yet OK?)  HEAD UP!!  Don't look down at your tire or the road right in front of your bike.

If making a sharp turn snap your head and look directly down the street, or over your shoulder if you have to make a u-turn.

Always scan the road surface for sand or gravel before the turn (you prolly know this already)

If you hit your front brake firmly in a slow turn you are going down.

Countersteering:  If you press downward on the right handlebar the bike will sway (turn) to the right.  Same for left.  This works anytime you are going above about 5-10 mph.  Slower speeds require you to physically turn the bars but countersteer can still be used to contribute to turns even at slow speeds.

Practice in a parking lot, not the road.  Once you feel comfortable, keep practicing.

Here's a cool link to how it's done.  You will learn a lot from this video.  Keep your eye on his right foot and brake lights and notice how he NEVER touches the front brake.  Also notice how he looks far ahead to his target and only glances down to the cones occasionally.  You can hear him scraping off our taxpayer paid for floorboards on every turn.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:16:44 PM by Sledge »
Arlo Guthrie

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 04:12:27 PM »

Im in my 70's and have been riding for over 55 years I have owned or ridden about every brand of bike ever manufactured,I have dropped Gold Wings,
suzuki Cavalcades and a Kawasaki Venture, doing slow speed maneuvers  but knock on wood my ultras and roadglides and numerous Roadkings have handled better at low speeds imho then many of the smaller metrics I had over the years. It takes a lot of practice, the more you turn and stop and start the better your going to get, I have a 62 yr old lady friend 5"2" who handles a slightly lowered RK like a teenager, but she has logged several hundred thousand miles.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:36:54 PM by dartman »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.