Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Author Topic: Legal Question  (Read 5703 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Legal Question
« on: November 12, 2011, 03:14:18 AM »

OK...I f'd up...was heading home this evening...there's a long straight, with NO chance of anyone pulling out in front of you, about 300 yards from my street and my driveway.  I have a nice, sporty, new car, so decided to punch it a bit to see how it reacted.  Long story short...I was doing 74mph in a 40mph zone.  Everybody does at leat 50-60 during normal working hours.  This was at 8:00PM...no traffic.  All that is no excuse...I was speeding.  However, to pull in my driveway off the road they clocked me on, is basically a 30' dog leg.  Hoover police are pigs...everything on two sides of my subdivsion is Hoover, AL...about 1/4 th of a mile from Hoover City Limits, then County (I LIVE in the County, and pay taxes accordingly). So, I live in a zone that is appoximately 1/4th of a mile BETWEEN  Hoover, Shelby County, and then Hoover again.  Here's what happened:  I did the 74mph...stupid, but I did it.  I pulled into my basement, after opening the garage door, got out of the car...the cop was pulled up in my driveway with his lights on. Neither me, nor my wife, saw any blue lights until we were stopped inside my basement.  Before I shut the door, he was inside my basement door, ON MY PROPERTY, INSIDE MY HOME, and asked for my license, which I gave him.  He came back with a ticket for speeding.  Honestly, I didn't see the Blue Lights until I got in my basement...would have shut the door, but I saw the lights.  I don't think he has the authority to pull up in my driveway , walk into my garage, and issue a ticket, when I don't LIVE in his jurisdiction.

Am I full of chit, or can I protest this?  He can't prove chit...the ticket says "in the vicinity of their juristiction and not IN their jurisdiction"...he cannot clock me accurately in MY County 1/4th of a mile.  i think he is full of chit, technically.

Thoughts?  Am I f'd, or should I fight it on principle. As I said, they are truely pigs...they beat a guy who was unconcious, for no reason.  They stopped me once for tinted windows on my other car, which were installed by the dealer...I beat that, but had to have the tint removed at my expense...no big deal, it was 25 bucks...this counts points, and I don't want the points, though they won't effect my record, in the long run.  I was not endangering a living soul, other than my own.  I don't think cops should be able to issue tickets when you are on your property, unless you are doing bodily harm to someone.  If I can fight it and have a chance to win, I will, on principle...otherwise, I'll fold my hand and pay it...still got to go to court, either way.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
Re: Legal Question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 04:41:54 AM »

First check and see if they have an "extended" jurisdiction area, some areas do have this. If not then I would say fight, fight fight. I don't think you have any ground as far as him being on your property though, except that if he was out of his jurisdiction then he shouldn't have been there anyway. And the words everyone hates - Lawyer up!!
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 06:16:23 AM »

I believe if he says he started pursuit in his jurisdiction and followed you out of it he can still stop you. He said, he said. Maybe he won't show up at your court date.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 07:01:07 AM »

Usually the geographical area of employment is extended into an adjoining county depending on whether it is a violation, your case, or a crime if he was off duty in an adjoining county. As long as he did not lose sight of you at any point he would have the authority to follow you onto your property for committing a violation in his presence. As for the legitimacy of the ticket, the radar/laser instrument is just considered an assisting tool. Any operator of one has to have been certified to do so and be able to calculate speed with their eyes to plus or minus 5 mph. Their vision is what holds up in trial the instrument is just to back it up. Case law has proven the accuracy of plain eyesight. I don't know how your courts work, but if there is an assistant district attorney they may confer with you for a plea of a lesser speed. Or you can plea not guilty and hope that the cop does not show up. Also with tint, ALL tint is illegal, no matter whether dealer installed or not. Standard auto glass has a slight UV protectant in it that reduces its light transmittance by about 15% bringing it down to 85%. Minimum transmittance is 70%, they don't make a film that i'm aware of that will yield that unless its on a pane of glass from a hardware store not in your car. Its a BS ticket, but its a reason to make a lawful stop.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 07:36:40 AM »

as stated earlier, lawyer up. with that kinda ticket it's not just the fine but the insurance companies strong arm you too.

good luck

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 07:38:29 AM »

Sorry ya got 'busted' TC, but I think you'll lose this one whether he was right or wrong.  He's going to claim that he had the right to follow you on to and in to your property as he was in continuous persuit.  He'll win that one.  Might want to pay an local attorney to play the 'system' and plead the case to a lesser plea.  Cost will be the same for short term but save on long term points/insurance increases.  Good luck.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 07:50:41 AM »

Another of life's aggravations, should be able to plead it down if you don't have a history of other lapses of judgement.

I agree that Hoover police are pigs. I have been all over the world and the only place on this planet that I ever spent a night in jail was in Hoover, Alabama due solely to the police making a big deal over an out-of-state license with a couple of staple holes in it and a hidden stop sign. Good luck!

tompen

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 08:32:57 AM »

After spending 17 years as a court officer, here is some things I learned. At this point it is unlikely you will beat a speeding ticket on any technicality. They can issue the ticket to you whenever and wherever they want. You can't prove you weren't speeding, because you were. The harder you fight, and the more things you try to use in your defense that are not directly related to this ticket, work against you.
Try to talk with the DA who serves the court and ask to plea to a lesser charge. In New York often the DA will recommend a plea to "failure to obey a traffic control device" which carries fewer points than speeding. However the judge knows what is going on and will fine accordingly. Of course if you have other speeding tickets this will not be as efffective. You should be able to do this without a lawyer.
If you feel you must tell the court how bad the police department is or how frustrated you are, remember the officer is doing what he was hired to do. It is not a defense and make them dig in and not want to make a deal. tell them after the judge makes his decision, but short of contempt.
You are out of your element in the court, and they are clearly in thiers. 
If this puts your license in jeopardy than Lawyer Up, pay your money, and be careful. If somebody else drove by your house 30 miles over the speed limit you would want the police to do thier job.
Just my 2c.
Good luck !!

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 09:56:04 AM »

Clearly you did the crime & got caught. Man up and pay the fine. Negotiating to a lower penalty is legit. Lawyer up if that helps but stop trying to justify the action. If you want to regurlarly operate outside the law then move somewhere where the law is more loosely applied.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 11:37:53 AM »

The LEO had all right to follow you on your property and enter your home/garage clearly because you committed a crime (speeding) in his jurisdiction. And he 'could have' even contested that he thought you were running from another crime or hiding something that would have given him more authority to slap your rear on the ground in handcuffs or even a taser shot  :'(  The way your story is told, i think the LEO treated this situation better in your favor then what he is trained to do.. If this would have happened in a big city like LA or New Jersey, you would have seen more then one blue light, more like a dozen and you would have been in hand cuffs...  I say count your blessings,, you admitted to speeding, forget about fighting this, pay your fine and dont let this episode bother you,,, Just jump on your Harley and ride for a awhile,  you'll forget all about it   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:40:53 AM by cvobiker »

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 12:47:22 PM »

Sounds like you’re in kind of deep.  :nervous: I wouldn’t mess around with it; call a pro, someone with a lot of experience dealing with this sort of thing. Give HOIST a call, and if he still has a valid DL, ask him for some help. After HOIST is finished with you, you should probably call a lawyer; someone with a lot of experience with this sort of thing. :2vrolijk_21:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 01:01:11 PM »

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but from a previous similar type of offense not much you can do.  I was running late to meet a customer one day at my shop and was going close to 75 in a 35, saw a cop go by and thought well I am less than a block away and stayed on it.  Called my guys had them open the door to the building and pulled way inside, thought i was clear when around the corner (in the building came a cruiser with lights and siren blaring.)  Needless to say he said he was in pursuit, as far as I new he never turned around but turns out he did.  Nothing I could do even on private property.  My guys all got a good laugh out of it and I paid the fine and slowed down, at least to a reasonable over speed.

If your record is clean go see the DA and plead to a lesser charge if you can.

Good luck
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 02:27:24 PM »

they (the Police) do not need to enter your Property to give you a ticket (it can be mailed).

Here is the rub, If you had a gated home,
They cannot enter the property legally without a warrant unless they believed a crime was being committed (reasonable cause) or they persued you
after committing a crime. 

In theory this is how it is supposed to work, but reasonable cause is the reason to enter.

You can request him to leave your Property, but this would probably buy you more trouble.

Pay the fine and request a hearing, most will knock down the penalty....

Good Luck

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 03:12:59 PM »

Here you can take a driver education class and get the ticket removed from your record.  Still have to pay the fines (and there may even be a charge fort the class, itself), but you avoid the points and insurance implications.  Maybe they've got something similar there?

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »

Alabama has the same system.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 04:57:11 PM »

I'll give that a shot...I don't have any other tickets on my record...I can't remember the last time I got a moving violation, other than an expired tag (they didn't send a notice in the mail, so it slipped my mind), and that was 10 years ago, at least.  I'll just go to court on 12/5 and see what happens.  Maybe the cop won't show up.

The side of my house faces this road...it's a good 1/2 mile downhill stretch of straightaway.  Everybody speeds in both directions.  In this case, I didn't go past the cop sitting on a side street...they sit across the street in a Church parking lot, hidden by trees 'till you get right up on it.  The turn into my street/driveway is before the Church lot...he must have shot me with the radar approaching his position, then when he saw I was turning (there's a middle turn lane) before reaching him, he zipped across the street and into my driveway with his lights on...I was already in the basement garage before I saw any Blue Lights...no siren.  I had almost hit the button to close the garage door by the time he got to the top of my driveway, so he wasn't really "pursuing" in the normal sense of the word.  By the time I got out of the car, he was standing in my basement door.  I gave him my DL, he ran it, then came back and handed me the ticket...he didn't even ask for an explanation.  He had a cocky attitude, and told me he could have gotten me for "eluding"...I responded that I was under the impression that one had to be aware of someone's presence before one could be accused of eluding, as that is a conscious act, and it's pretty hard to say I was attempting to elude when I parked my car in my own basement.  He didn't care for that statement much.   :huepfenlol2:  So I shut up.  I probably hit 74mph for a fraction of a second, because I have to slow down to 15-20mph to make the left turn into my street, then 25 feet to turn right into my driveway, so for at least 100 of the 300 yards, I was probably going under 40 mph.  I don't really see how he zapped me from his position...it's a long shot with the radar gun.  Any given day or night they could sit out there and write 20 tickets easily because you have to stay on the brakes to keep from running over 40 going down the hill in either direction.  I hear crotch rockets doing 80 or 90 often when working in the basement or outside.  It's just one of those places that begs folks to tweak the throttle a bit, no matter what they're driving.  They set up their radar trap when revenues are down, I suppose.

TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 05:14:18 PM »

Let's face it...that new car is 'quick' and begs to be driven as if in a hurry.  Better put a 'guvner' on it or you'll start a scrapbook of those tickets as I did once.  Sold the quick car and haven't been 'tempted' much since.  8) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 05:20:53 PM »

Let's face it...that new car is 'quick' and begs to be driven as if in a hurry.  Better put a 'guvner' on it or you'll start a scrapbook of those tickets as I did once.  Sold the quick car and haven't been 'tempted' much since.  8) spyder

Downshift.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 05:21:06 PM »

Give HOIST a call, and if he still has a valid DL, ask him for some help. After HOIST is finished with you, you should probably call a lawyer; someone with a lot of experience with this sort of thing. :2vrolijk_21:

so this caught some curiosity,,,, what mess did HOIST get into   :nixweiss:

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »

Guy gets pulled over for speeding at the end of a bridge, Officer asks him what's the rush and the man replies "Officer please I'm a doctor on my way to the hospital" The cop asks what he does at the hospital and the man replies "I'm a rectal enlarger" The cop is puzzled by this and asks exactly what the good doctor does and he replies "Well first I start with a finger, then I get my finger from the other hand in there and I stretch and pull until I can get both hands and pull more and it gets bigger and bigger until its a full 6 feet" Astonished the Officer replies "What in the world do you do with a 6 foot a55hole?" The doctor replies "I give him a radar gun and set him up at the end of the bridge!"

On a serious note though if the cop that got you didn't have an in-car printer than he probably didn't supply you with a supporting deposition. On the back of the ticket you should have the option to request one through the mail. Its just a long form of the ticket, but if he's lazy and you don't get it back in a timely manner when you go to court it will be dismissed. Either which way you choose going to court is probably your best bet of being offered a plea of a lesser speed. Good luck with it.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 09:59:33 PM »

It’s complicated. The legend is that this guy doesn’t bother with a throttle. When he gets a new machine he removes and throws away the throttle plate, much like you would the cap on a bottle of whiskey. He snakes through traffic at strong triple digit speeds, and like Obi Wan Kenobi, can finesse his way out of most any tough spot without breaking a sweat.

For more specific information you’d have to talk with someone that has actually ridden with HOIST. Personally I think the whole HOIST persona is a myth, and my sack wouldn’t get me into that club anyway. I tried riding 56 mph once, and didn’t like it, so I slowed right back down. Bottom line, if this guy can be found, and he actually has a valid DL, I’m thinkin’ that he may have a few pointers that might be worth considering.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 10:26:26 PM »

He has a legal right to pursue regardless if it took him out of his jurisdiction.  It is also legal for him to step on your property because you had committed an act that was not "legal" by speeding, therefore you forfeited your property rights.  Your best recourse is to plea to a lesser charge.  :policeman:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 10:41:43 PM »

It’s complicated. The legend is that this guy doesn’t bother with a throttle. When he gets a new machine he removes and throws away the throttle plate, much like you would the cap on a bottle of whiskey. He snakes through traffic at strong triple digit speeds, and like Obi Wan Kenobi, can finesse his way out of most any tough spot without breaking a sweat.

For more specific information you’d have to talk with someone that has actually ridden with HOIST. Personally I think the whole HOIST persona is a myth, and my sack wouldn’t get me into that club anyway. I tried riding 56 mph once, and didn’t like it, so I slowed right back down. Bottom line, if this guy can be found, and he actually has a valid DL, I’m thinkin’ that he may have a few pointers that might be worth considering.

;)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 12:38:49 AM »

gotcha,,  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:  There a few of those guys around in every riding group, i gave up playing the 'keep up' game a long time ago after i figured out you really never get left behind.. Sooner or latter you catch up with em'  because either they're getting a ticket on the side of the road our their waiting for you at the next rest stop or the next gas station since they end up stoping at every one for gas.    ;D

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 01:03:36 AM »

I chuckled when I read this.  I'm not sure what this particular issue is about but I spent a week with Hoist following me around Nor Cal.  He's a pretty good rider.....even two up.  I've been accused of riding pretty crazy, but he was right behind me almost every mile of that week! :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 12:47:01 PM »

I chuckled when I read this.  I'm not sure what this particular issue is about but I spent a week with Hoist following me around Nor Cal.  He's a pretty good rider.....even two up.  I've been accused of riding pretty crazy, but he was right behind me almost every mile of that week! :2vrolijk_21:

I wonder if that was you two, (and two others) riding west on Lake Berryessa canyon road on july 5th 2009  :nixweiss: A group of 4, all baggers, passed us in a curve heading west about 10 miles from Winters. The front two were dragging their floor boards bad enough to lay grooves through out the full curve as well as the next two ahead and who knows how many after they lost us   :'( the back two were not as aggressive.. It was quite a show, these guy's would have easily put to shame many sports bike riders.     :P
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 12:49:25 PM by cvobiker »

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2011, 11:52:31 PM »

74 mph in a 40 mph zone . . . good luck with that one.
Jesus is Lord

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 09:16:41 PM »

I'll give that a shot...I don't have any other tickets on my record...I can't remember the last time I got a moving violation, other than an expired tag (they didn't send a notice in the mail, so it slipped my mind), and that was 10 years ago, at least.  I'll just go to court on 12/5 and see what happens.  Maybe the cop won't show up.

I remember one...I think you got it in Kentucky at the very first RibFest.  ;D
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 10:54:48 PM »

Terry, I see your "hippy" days resurfacing by calling the police pigs. ;)  There's no excuse, everybody speeding down a stretch of road does not make it legal, they just don't get caught.  You did.  I must say you have darn good hearing if you can "hear" someone going 80 or 90 mph.  Radar, laser, photo, etc. speed guns are admissible and generally accepted on their own as proof of speed.  As a former police officer myself, a "calibrated" eyeball was not required.  Now, a calibrated radar device is required.  He had every right to stop you where ever you ended up, even if it was out of his juridiction as the offense was recorded in his jurisdiction.  Furthermore, most ajoining jurisdictions have reciprocity agreements that allow law enforement officials to do exactly what he did.  Feel fortunate if all you have to pay is a fine and lose some points.  In most states, what you did is considered reckless driving.  If it was determined reckless driving with endangerment, you could lose your license up to 6 months for a first offense.  The odds of that are slim, if the conditions were as you stated on the road.  More than likely you'll get a fine and probably 5-10 points.  What will kill you if that happens is the insurance company...they'll jump on that like stink on chit.  IMO and for what it's worth, you got caught, it doesn't matter how long you were at that speed, you were obviously clocked at doing it.  Ya got caught, accept the consequences and move on, and think twice about doing it again.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

jayray00SERG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red FLTRSE1
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 12:28:56 AM »

All well said. In a CAGE you are so f ing busted. On the bike? talk it out and be cool? You may walk... 74 in a 40 is bad no matter how you roll.

jayray00SERG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red FLTRSE1
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 12:37:05 AM »

You were in a CAGE

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 09:06:21 AM »

Clearly you did the crime & got caught. Man up and pay the fine. Negotiating to a lower penalty is legit. Lawyer up if that helps but stop trying to justify the action. If you want to regurlarly operate outside the law then move somewhere where the law is more loosely applied.

Good advice.
If you do the crime you better be prepared to do the time.
Everything fun has a cost, get a good lawyer and save that insurance money.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 10:38:10 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Agreed.  You were doing twice the limit in a residential zone.  Pay it.  Remember it.  Move on. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 11:07:41 AM »

Terry might have started this conversation differently.   The TC to slightly more rational English translation might have been:

Hey guys.  I screwed up and drove too fast; and got caught.  We've all pushed the speed limit sometimes.  I did it big time.  So, I screwed up.  Anyone got any advice on how the system really works and ways I can legitimately mitigate the damage?

TC was upset though.  So he went off a bit.  It wasn't pretty.  Parts of it were a flashback he likely wishes he could take back.  But he's man enough he didn't go back and edit his words.  Choosing instead to let the cards fall where they may.  

So tease the guy a bit.  He certainly deserves it.  Pointed responses from LEOs past and present aren't undeserved either.  TC will take it in the spirit he should.  But name calling beyond that won't serve a purpose other than to make the latest flamer feel proud and radicalize a conversation among riding buddies.  

So, TC, let Toby drive next time.  Sorry you'll have the ticket to pay and the insurance repercussions (deterrence is a bitch sometimes).  Hope you a fruitful discussion with the prosecutor.  And you want to ride somewhere next spring?

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2011, 11:24:27 AM »

So tease the guy a bit.  He certainly deserves it.  Pointed responses from LEOs past and present aren't undeserved either.  TC will take it in the spirit he should.  But name calling beyond that won't serve a purpose other than to make the latest flamer feel proud and radicalize a conversation among riding buddies.  

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »

pay the ticket.  why were you going so fast?  what if you hit a kid or another vehicle, maybe a biker?  you clearly broke the law and were driving in a reckless manner.  Jerks like you kill people

That is rude!!!
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2011, 01:23:39 PM »

Good advice.
If you do the crime you better be prepared to do the time.
Everything fun has a cost, get a good lawyer and save that insurance money.
SBB

Sage advice!   :2vrolijk_21:

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2011, 01:31:35 PM »

This could start a new thread in the "Pictures" section:

Show Photos of Your Bike with a Police Cruiser Stopped Behind It!

Knocking on wood and crossing the finger that it stays so; I don't have an even vaguely recent contribution to that thread :drink: .

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2011, 01:34:53 PM »

This could start a new thread in the "Pictures" section:

Show Photos of Your Bike with a Police Cruiser Stopped Behind It!

Knocking on wood and crossing the finger that it stays so; I don't have an even vaguely recent contribution to that thread :drink: .

It hasn't happened to you lately or  ::) you don't have a picture of it?

:nixweiss:     :nervous:     :nixweiss:     :nervous:

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2011, 01:39:17 PM »

pay the ticket.  why were you going so fast?  what if you hit a kid or another vehicle, maybe a biker?  you clearly broke the law and were driving in a reckless manner.  Jerks like you kill people

Not going to get into a name calling contest here.  I would NEVER speed in an area where there was a danger of causing harm to others.  This particular 2600' (I've mapped it and measured it) section of road has a clear line of sight, is not a residential street, it was dark so I could see there was no other traffic on the road, either behind me or in front of me, and there was no chance of anyone pulling out from the two side streets intersecting the road, as there were no other vehicles within the line of sight.

People speed on this section all the time.  That doesn't make it right, but it's a fact.  I was unfortunate enough to be the one who they stopped that night...could be that I was the only one on the road at that particular time, so was an easy target.  I'll pay the ticket...I have to go to court anyway, so will at least have an opportunity to explain what actually happened, which is different than what is stated by the officer on the ticket.  It probably won't matter, but I'll calmly explain things anyway, being respectful, of course.

Charlie...I have a great deal of respect for most officers, and always have.  As long as they are respectful to me.  Hoover police have a reputation for being a-holes, and this guy upheld that reputation.  So he acted like the stereotypical Pig...wish he hadn't, but he did.  It's a personality type.  While I am required to respect the uniform, and in most cases do, I am not required to respect the man/woman wearing it if they are acting like an ass for no reason other than just because they can.  Maybe he was having a bad night, his blood sugar was low, or he was just pissed off in general.  And when I hear a crotch rocket run through 4-5 gears at 10,000rpm, I can safely assume it's going at least 80-90mph...been there, done it myself.

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2011, 01:47:56 PM »

It hasn't happened to you lately or  ::) you don't have a picture of it?

:nixweiss:     :nervous:     :nixweiss:     :nervous:

SBB

Indoobieably!

Ok, full disclosure.  I was pulled over on the red bike shortly after doing the EMS tuner package installation.  Was out on some local county roads I occasionally play on.  They run along quarter sections and have good sight lines.  Nice straight stretches for often a couple miles or more punctuated by some play in between.  So....

I'm out there "tuning" the bike.  Going from 30-60 repetitively and engine braking back down.  So all the fields can get hit.  Then doing the same thing from 40-70 and 50-80 and on up.  During a stretch like this that went from 80 to 110-115 there were those dreaded "cherries from nowhere."  

County patrol.

Guy said he'd been watching me for an hour doing these up and down runs.  "What the hell you doin' son?" was how he phrased the question.  Said he knew I was doing "something" other than just screwing around to drive fast.  Since he asked I explained.

His response then was something like "first time I ever got a straight answer that made sense."  That he'd watched me lay back the few times any other traffic was in sight and never pass another vehicle while logging the tunes also helped.  After we chatted a bit more about the tech the officer asked "you're done for today aren't you?"  To which I gladly said "yes sir."  This was followed by the much anticipated, "that's good and ride safe."  Which I did.

Have no doubt earned a few when just cruising at 15 over.  God knows what the ticket library will hold at St. Peter's just for the days I tried to follow Howie.  But I've been lucky and have not been cited on a bike for a long long time.  This has been thanks a couple times to some very reasonable officers.  

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2011, 01:50:07 PM »

I remember one...I think you got it in Kentucky at the very first RibFest.  ;D

:oops:  Forgot about that one.  That was in '07, I think.  He was a nice guy though, and could have been a butthole.  Between the Rineharts and the Allman Bros in my headset, I didn't even hear the siren until he got right up next to me.  :huepfenlol2:  We had a nice little chat on the side of the road...he complimented my bike and how it sounded...a friendly guy.  I still got the ticket, but he was nice about it.  I mailed that one in, and it never had any impact on my insurance.

Good ribs and beer though....

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2011, 02:33:40 PM »

This isn't my first rodeo either.  I've been stopped a few times in my life for speeding, but because I was generally doing so in a "safe" manner, was honest with the officer, and just generally made the experience as pleasant as it could be, I've gotten off with a warning, and "drive safely".  Always appreciated it too, and let them know that.  I don't get beligerant with somebody who has a gun and handcuffs on their belt.  Handcuffs are uncomfortable.

But, I've had a couple of bad experiences with a couple of different situations.  One while being booked with a lawyer by my side when I was 21 years old...that was at the Jefferson County Jail, and for some reason those Sheriffs didn't like my shoulder length hair at the time.  They were dissapointed that they didn't get to cut it...

Another was about 8 years ago when they got my SS number crossed up with another Terry Crain that lives in the area, and who happened to have a warrant out on him for dealing a controlled substance.  I spent 6 hours straightening that one out one night, part of the time handcuffed to a pipe on a wall in the UAB police station, then finally cuffed and transferred to county jail in the back of a squad car.  It took about 5 minutes to get that resolved once I was at the intake point for the jail and actually got to discuss the situation with a reasonable human being instead of the Barney Fife's UAB calls police men and women.  They acted like P-I-G pigs.  Cuffed me in the middle of the street on the UAB campus...three units responded, and at least 5 cops who frisked me on two different occasions while having my car towed and impounded.  All out in public during rush hour traffic on a campus that employs 20K people. The fact that I was 52 years old at the time, and the guy they were looking for was 25 didn't register with the UAB cops.  Nor did the fact that I was an HR manager for the largest department at UAB.  And I personally knew the Chief of Police for UAB.  I got a written appology from the VP of UAB for that one...should have sued, but it was my employer.  That incident reared it's head more recently when I was denied a concealed carry permit in my county.  I had to get the Jefferson County DA involved to get that mess straightened out once and for all.  Lord only knows what's in some national database from that mistake by the "system".  So yea, I've got a bad taste in my mouth for azzhole cops who use the uniform to treat people like crap and won't listen to a reasonable/logical explanation for why they are making a HUGE mistake.  But just those individuals, not all as a group.  I give everyone the opportunity to not be an azzhole, but some people are born that way.

TTS Mastertune

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2011, 02:58:11 PM »

Driving fast doesn't necessarily constitute driving in a reckless manner. I'd say if anyone was a jerk, (other than you) it would be the cop. TC has already admitted guilt. I don't believe  the purpose of his post was to explain his actions, but rather to enlighten us on  the unprofessional manner the the LEO . Nuff said

Elmar

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: Buell XB12 Ulysses
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 06:00:41 AM »

Just my 2 C on that one.
You guys do not even know how lucky you are.
Being a German who has the pleasure to live in the US (and travels back and force) I have gathered some experience with LEOs in both countries.
Generally:
1) Policemen/women are not known for having any kind of humor
2) Germans are not known for having any kind of humor
3) What do you expect from a German police officer (do the math)
Usually they flash you with a traffic cam and you get a ticket mailed in. No discussion and about no legal way to escape that.
If you were too fast (>25km/h = 16 mls above speed limit) you become a pedestrian for a month, with bad luck for three months.

My experiences in the US, expecially in Wisconsin are WAYYYY better.
I was speeding, got cought, got a verbal warning - thats it. Actually I stressed this "Germans are always fast drivers thing" because of the Autobahn and Porsche and Michael Schumacher and so on... -it worked

Three month later, speeding again with my bike, got cought and (chit hits the fan) SAME police officer.  :o
He smiled and kind of apoligezed that this time he HAS to give me a ticket.  :oops:
End of the day - we "high five" us when ever we see us on the road
and in all honesty since then I drive slower (some 5-5mls over but not more)
YALE rules

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2011, 01:23:53 PM »

Three month later, speeding again with my bike, got cought and (chit hits the fan) SAME police officer.  :o
He smiled and kind of apoligezed that this time he HAS to give me a ticket.  :oops:
End of the day - we "high five" us when ever we see us on the road
and in all honesty since then I drive slower (some 5-5mls over but not more)

Now THAT's funny!   :huepfenlol2:

I was riding a back road through the county last spring - zipping along pretty good where the road goes through woods, and slowing down where there are houses.  Got to the populated area, and noticed a white car way behind me catching up quickly.  I pondered - wonder where he's going, sure in a hurry.  I found out.  Don't think he had me on radar, and was not able to pace me.  I have no idea where he saw me going fast, but suffice to say, from a distance, it would have been obvious.  Got off with a "drive safely".  Maybe having on the orange safety vest, with the HOG Chapter rocker and "Safety Officer" patch helped.  :oops:
Spada84
NoSofa!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2011, 12:22:14 AM »

Driving fast doesn't necessarily constitute driving in a reckless manner. I'd say if anyone was a jerk, (other than you) it would be the cop. TC has already admitted guilt. I don't believe  the purpose of his post was to explain his actions, but rather to enlighten us on  the unprofessional manner the the LEO . Nuff said

I think not...the title of the thread states the purpose. 

2012 FLHXSE3

2010 FLHX

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2011, 12:16:25 PM »

74 MPH in a 40 MPH zone is "reckless driving." Generally, 30 MPH over the limit is viewed as "reckless" and the citation goes from "traffic" to "criminal." You can be arrested, taken into custody, vehicle impounded. You were driving nearly TWICE the speed limit. That can move into felony stuff.

Jurisdiction -- "In pursuit" applies. The police can follow you to the ends of the earth if they're "in pursuit." They can follow you into Mexico and Canada if that's what it comes to. If you're doing something unlawful on your private property, you're subject to arrest and police can come onto your property, into your home to effect an arrest. This is why police break down doors.

You're lucky the police issued you a citation and dropped it at that. Pay the ticket and view it as a learning experience. What did you learn?

For the record, I was passing a derelict vehicle. It was dropping parts onto the highway, weaving on and off the shoulder. I thought maybe the driver was intoxicated. I passed in a 55 MPH doing 87 MPH -- I was passing, not driving that speed.

Ticket ran $387. They could have arrested me for "reckless driving." The police cited me for 85 MPH, cutting some slack on the "reckless" charge. I was getting past a potentially dangerous vehicle. I wasn't driving 85 MPH in a 55 MPH zone.

Learning experience. What did I learn? The Street Glide w/ 96in TC and six speed is a WHOLE LOT faster than the Heritage w/ Evo, 88 in. and a "cam."

Pay the ticket. You have no defense whatever. You screwed up and got cited. Next time don't screw up.

Reading the rest of the thread, evidently you got cited by the same officer three months later, for speeding -- again.

You're well on the road to losing your license to drive. In the next year if you get pulled over for speeding you're likely to go to jail. You're standing on some shaky ground without legal defense.

Probably not what you want to hear, but probably what you NEED to hear.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:24:33 PM by 2010 FLHX »

2010 FLHX

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2011, 12:32:04 PM »

Yeah, maybe . . . IF you're on a RACE TRACK. "Reckless" is a statutory definition. It's defined as exceeding the speed limit by a specified amount. State Revised Statutes specify precisely what those excess speed parameters are. The police don't have any discretion about how they cite -- except to cut you some slack on how fast they actually clocked you. And they can clock you within about 1/2 MPH on today's radar, even if they're coming at you from the other direction.

If you want to "argue" about "speeding" you need to be doing less than 10 MPH over the posted limit. In that range the statutes generally allow the police to issue a citation, but there are no fine schedules in that range.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2011, 05:52:04 PM »

Reading the rest of the thread, evidently you got cited by the same officer three months later, for speeding -- again. You're well on the road to losing your license to drive. In the next year if you get pulled over for speeding you're likely to go to jail. Probably not what you want to hear, but probably what you NEED to hear.

First, I don't NEED to hear anything...If you read the post(s), I never claimed I was not speeding.  I got caught, that's all.  In my lifetime, I've not known many people who don't speed from time to time...technically.  That doesn't make them "bad drivers", if they do so in as safe a manner as is possible...meaning they are not endangering anyone's life, or truly doing something "reckless".  But regardless, if you get caught, you pay the piper.  My original question was whether the cop can come on to my property, and into my house, over something like this. I now know they can. Plus, he could not possibly have been sitting within his jurisdiction, unless the road connecting his jurisdiction, with a 1 mile gap that is not within his jurisdiction, can be considered his jurisdiction.  And there's no way he was sitting on the road...he was technically sitting on County property.  My only question will be where was the officer sitting when he clocked me (he was not driving, or I would have seen his headlights), and for future reference, is that section of road considered to be the City of Hoover.  I've been around too long not to know better than to get in a pissing contest with LEO...that's a no win situation.  But I can ask for factual information in a nice way, see if there are alternatives to the whole fine, etc.  I'm certainly not foolish enough to sandpaper anyone's azz in court, then pour turpentine on it.

And, I have no idea how you drew the erroneous conclusion that I've been stopped by the same cop twice in three months  :nixweiss:  I was stopped over a year ago by the same City Police Dept for Tinted Windows on my car, at night, which is a bunch of BS, because I wasn't doing anything to get pulled over for...they were just bored, I guess.  I didn't even know at the time that the degree of tint on the front side windows wouldn't pass the light transmission test....I didn't put it on the windows.  Had the tint removed...no problem.  At any rate, court is 12/5 at 2:00PM, so it'll all be over with then, one way or the other.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:10:14 PM by TCnBham »

TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2011, 06:23:23 PM »

At any rate, court is 12/5 at 2:00PM, so it'll all be over with then, one way or the other.

Hope you all the best of luck on that date Terry.  Never know, maybe all the stars will line-up in your favor.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2011, 06:40:11 PM »

You're lucky the police issued you a citation and dropped it at that. Pay the ticket and view it as a learning experience. What did you learn?

What did I learn?   :soapbox:  I learned that instead of watching an extremely dangerous intersection, where several people are KILLED each year because of people speeding and running red lights, that is clearly within their jurisdiction,  and less than 3 miles from here, they'd rather set up a virtual "speed trap" on a relatively deserted 3/4-1 mile stretch of road, with no red lights, no stop signs, a clear line of sight for a minimum of 200 yards at any given point, and where nobody has even had an accident that I've seen or heard about in the 25+ years I've lived here, in order to generate revenue for the City because the economy is negatively impacting their budget.  Just because they can.  So they are not trying to "protect" anyone from being injured or killed because of unsafe driving practices, but instead are shooting radar on a road where they KNOW that 1 out of 5 cars will be going at least 15mph over the posted speed of 40mph, especially after 8PM, or during the middle of the day.  So it's easy pickins' when they need to write a few tickets.  But they aren't protecting anybody from chit while doing so...they are just catching those who are unfortunate enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and doing the wrong thing.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2011, 06:43:36 PM »

Hope you all the best of luck on that date Terry.  Never know, maybe all the stars will line-up in your favor.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder

Thanks, Spydy...I'm hopeful, but also a realist.   ;)

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2011, 07:04:49 PM »

Thanks, Spydy...I'm hopeful, but also a realist.   ;)

Got my finger crossed you don't get nailed too bad TC.  Maybe take Toby with you?  That should scare hell out of the prosecution....   :2vrolijk_21:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah ...

Someone's Cheerios were evidently pissed in today.  Perhaps it explains the fetish with, and overuse of, quotes, too. ::)

Good luck, Terry!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2011, 07:21:38 PM »

Thanks, guys... :2vrolijk_21:  I wonder if my ponytail will hurt my chances?   :huepfenlol2:  Maybe I should go dressed as Santa...they couldn't throw the book at Santa, right? I've got the hair, beard, and gut for it... ::) ;D ;)

TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »

Thanks, guys... :2vrolijk_21:  I wonder if my ponytail will hurt my chances?   :huepfenlol2:  Maybe I should go dressed as Santa...they couldn't throw the book at Santa, right? I've got the hair, beard, and gut for it... ::) ;D ;)
You better put it up in a ponytail, 'cause if not, you'll look
homeless and the judge may offer you lodging.  :o  spyder
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 09:55:34 PM by spydglide »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2011, 07:34:23 PM »

Good Luck Terry
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2011, 09:45:24 PM »

Hey TC, just a well intended word of advice here.  Since you might not have a driver's license when it's done you best floor it on the way to the courthouse and enjoy it while you can :drink:  :2vrolijk_21: !

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2011, 10:07:16 PM »

I’m sure that more than just a few of the folks here have had an involuntary muscle spasm send them over the limit by more than a couple of mph….wrong place at the wrong time. Good luck with your hearing.  :2vrolijk_21:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2011, 10:28:18 PM »

Hey TC, just a well intended word of advice here.  Since you might not have a driver's license when it's done you best floor it on the way to the courthouse and enjoy it while you can :drink:  :2vrolijk_21: !

Great idea!  I'm gonna open up the SRT8 (a little more that usual, even) on the way to work tomorrow in a show of support for Terry! :P

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2011, 11:14:18 PM »

Great idea!  I'm gonna open up the SRT8 (a little more that usual, even) on the way to work tomorrow in a show of support for Terry! :P

That's a hell of an idea Brian.  We should all join in.  Just a little maybe.  When there's no traffic around of course.  Leave a little rubber on the road in support of TC.  We'll all feel a little better for it :2vrolijk_21: !

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2011, 11:41:15 PM »

Brian,

Does that mean your going to start the car while depressing the esp button?   Should allow you to leave a very very nice patch of rubber on the road.   

Good Luck in court Terry   

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2011, 11:53:59 PM »

Best of luck in court Terry.  Hopefully, you just have to pay a fine and that will be it.

2012 FLHXSE3

2010 FLHX

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »

Got my finger crossed you don't get nailed too bad TC.  Maybe take Toby with you?  That should scare hell out of the prosecution....   :2vrolijk_21:

There is no prosecution in Traffic Court. You're cited by police for a traffic violation, and you can plead. In some jurisdictions you "appear" at the clerk's window (not in court before a judge) and either pay the fine or request a trial. You don't want to request a trial.

Somewhere in this thread there appeared a post, later "quoted" that you got cited three months later for speeding by the same LEO. If this "three months later" is the speeding citation we're discussing here, then the syntactical construction you need to use is "three months prior." You're making a relative reference to an antecedent noun clause, and you need to demonstrate some parallelism in consequent citation.

Yeah, as a matter of fact I do teach grammar. :D

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:56:52 PM by 2010 FLHX »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2011, 12:09:47 AM »

There is no prosecution in Traffic Court.

Don't be so damned literal (or serious or pedantic) dude.  We're giving TC a hard time.  The "Toby" that was the suggested accompaniment to frighten the Prosecution (whom we knew he wouldn't see [at least yet]) is his pet bird.  Then again, after following this thread for a bit, it seems you're probably very familiar with the bird.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2011, 12:12:04 AM »

There is no prosecution in Traffic Court. You're cited by police for a traffic violation, and you can plead. In some jurisdictions you "appear" at the clerk's window (not in court before a judge) and either pay the fine or request a trial. You don't want to request a trial.

Somewhere in this thread there appeared a post, later "quoted" that you got cited three months later for speeding by the same LEO. If this "three months later" is the speeding citation we're discussing here, then the syntactical construction you need to use is "three months prior." You're making a relative reference to an antecedent noun clause, and you need to demonstrate some parallelism in consequent citation.

Actually, I think you're referring to post #44 which was another member, Elmer, speaking of a personal experience of his where he was stopped once, let go with a warning, then stopped again three months later by the same LEO and got a ticket.  You need to get your facts straight before you go off on the wrong person.   Just sayin....

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2011, 12:13:14 AM »

Don't be so damned literal (or serious or pedantic) dude.  We're giving TC a hard time.  The "Toby" that was the suggested accompaniment to frighten the Prosecution (whom we knew he wouldn't see [at least yet]) is his pet bird.  Then again, after following this thread for a bit, it seems you're probably very familiar with the bird.

Rut roh!! :vrolijk_11:

2012 FLHXSE3

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2011, 12:17:30 AM »

Don't be so damned literal (or serious or pedantic) dude.  We're giving TC a hard time.  The "Toby" that was the suggested accompaniment to frighten the Prosecution (whom we knew he wouldn't see [at least yet]) is his pet bird.  Then again, after following this thread for a bit, it seems you're probably very familiar with the bird.

:huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2: Familiar with the BIRD

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2011, 01:21:11 AM »

OK, so I barely made it out of HS.

pe·dan·tic
[puh-dan-tik]
- adjective

1. ostentatious in one's learning

2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, esp. in teaching

iPhone using Tapatalk
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

2010 FLHX

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2011, 01:41:50 AM »

OK, so I barely made it out of HS.

pe·dan·tic
[puh-dan-tik]
- adjective

1. ostentatious in one's learning

2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, esp. in teaching

iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you mean, "didactic" . . . *LMAO*
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:44:45 AM by 2010 FLHX »

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2011, 02:16:53 AM »

Wouldn't "anal" pretty much get you the same definition? :nixweiss:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2011, 03:39:10 AM »

Brian,

Does that mean your going to start the car while depressing the esp button?   Should allow you to leave a very very nice patch of rubber on the road.   

Good Luck in court Terry   

Is that the trick for getting the ESP all the way off?

The crazy beast will spin 'em half way decent from a standing start with the traction control fully engaged. LOL

2010 FLHX

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2011, 08:46:01 AM »

Wouldn't "anal" pretty much get you the same definition? :nixweiss:

Can you appreciate the distinction between "anal" and "rectal" ?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2011, 11:04:57 AM »

Can you appreciate the distinction between "anal" and "rectal" ?

Are you suggesting that in your case, both apply? :nixweiss:

OK, I'm going to enlighten (started to use the word "educate" :nervous: ) you to something that's way, way different on this forum than all the other Harley forums on the net.

Check a members registration date.....and they're still here.  Most of us, over the years, have rode with members from the opposite coast, Canada, Mexico and the US.  We actually get together and ride together, putting hundreds and thousands of miles down together, we shared our homes and shared hotel rooms with each other.  What I'm trying to say is that for those that spend any time here at all, you to will get to know us and decide for yourself if you like us or not.  But the point remains that we all "know" each other! :2vrolijk_21:

Terry, Karen.....can you help out your fellow Oregonian please?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:11:03 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2011, 11:28:44 AM »

In light of the direction this thread has taken, I found this quite comical!  Good response, FLHX 2010.  :2vrolijk_21:

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2011, 11:38:42 AM »

Oh my hell...now we have someone with their red pencil correcting a post.
2010 FLHX why did you wake up with your panties in a knot? We have had great riding weather here in Oregon (Orygun as you say). The ducks are going to the Rose Bowl, the sun is out what more could we want for December. I see you do your best to make a "FIRST" impression.  So where do you teach at?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2011, 11:39:34 AM »

I'm starting the pool.  Everyone place your bets and make your choices as to outcome today:

Terry will get:

1) $1 million fine
2) $1,000 fine
3) Will be sentenced to community service in an upcoming Newt Gingrich White House
4) Will be sentenced with being "grounded" from using any Glare products for six months
5) Will be barred from eating any pork products for life

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2011, 11:53:30 AM »

I'm starting the pool.  Everyone place your bets and make your choices as to outcome today:

Terry will get:

1) $1 million fine
2) $1,000 fine
3) Will be sentenced to community service in an upcoming Newt Gingrich White House
4) Will be sentenced with being "grounded" from using any Glare products for six months
5) Will be barred from eating any pork products for life

I believe Terry would take #1 over #3 any day  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: If my memory serves me correctly.
Come to think of it #4 might be the worst yet  :huepfenlol2:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2011, 11:54:34 AM »

Oh my hell...now we have someone with their red pencil correcting a post.
2010 FLHX why did you wake up with your panties in a knot? We have had great riding weather here in Oregon (Orygun as you say). The ducks are going to the Rose Bowl, the sun is out what more could we want for December. I see you do your best to make a "FIRST" impression.  So where do you teach at?

That's just so much more funny coming from a woman. :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao:

West Coast GTG   

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2011, 12:21:38 PM »

I believe Terry would take #1 over #3 any day  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: If my memory serves me correctly.
Come to think of it #4 might be the worst yet  :huepfenlol2:

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

TTS Mastertune

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2011, 12:22:55 PM »

You may teach Grammar, but you obviously can't read. It was a different member of this forum that was tagged for speeding twice by the same LEO.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2011, 03:58:25 PM »

6 pages of posts over a speeding ticket. But, I catch myself clicking the thread to see wha the latest scuttlebut is all about.  ;D

I may start a thread..The first post something like this.: "There I was, driving 67 in a 5 listening to Led Zepplin, when all of a sudden..." and see how far it'll go.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2011, 04:10:38 PM »

6 pages of posts over a speeding ticket. But, I catch myself clicking the thread to see wha the latest scuttlebut is all about.  ;D

I may start a thread..The first post something like this.: "There I was, driving 67 in a 5 listening to Led Zepplin, when all of a sudden..." and see how far it'll go.

Kinda like a train wreck. :)

Of course at this point, like many threads here.....it's no longer about Terry's ticket but more about the entertainment. :bananarock:

West Coast GTG   

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2011, 04:31:38 PM »

Well, it's over now, so the thread can continue a life of it's own, or not.  ;)  Got to the "Hoover Center for Public Safety", and of course they didn't have my paperwork in their file to immediately go into the courtroom setting, so I got to stand in line for 45 minutes.  Finally got to the window where there was a pretty cute gal waiting on folks...she told me I looked like Santa... :huepfenlol2:  So I asked if she'd like to sit on my lap...that pretty much broke the ice.  ;)  We got along great after that exchange, so I get to take a Defensive Driving Class next month, and it won't go on my record, plus it's cheaper than the ticket.  All's well that end's well.  And the Santa thing really did work... :huepfenlol2: :2vrolijk_21: :coolblue:

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2011, 04:36:06 PM »

Well, it's over now, so the thread can continue a life of it's own, or not.  ;)  Got to the "Hoover Center for Public Safety", and of course they didn't have my paperwork in their file to immediately go into the courtroom setting, so I got to stand in line for 45 minutes.  Finally got to the window where there was a pretty cute gal waiting on folks...she told me I looked like Santa... :huepfenlol2:  So I asked if she'd like to sit on my lap...that pretty much broke the ice.  ;)  We got along great after that exchange, so I get to take a Defensive Driving Class next month, and it won't go on my record, plus it's cheaper than the ticket.  All's well that end's well.  And the Santa thing really did work... :huepfenlol2: :2vrolijk_21: :coolblue:

That's all?  We got a lot more fun value out of your ordeal than that.  What a bargain!   

Glad you didn't get nailed atrociously TC.  Now the real question though.....   Does sneaking by without getting your drawers tanned mean you'll do it again :huepfenlol2: ?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2011, 04:36:39 PM »

..... soon?       :huepfenlol2:

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2011, 04:41:31 PM »

Congrats Terry.  Glad it worked out well for you Santa  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2011, 04:43:19 PM »

Way to go  :xmas: errrrr, Terry.  :D  Maybe they'll show you in the defensive driving course how to mount a radar jammer in your car.   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  Seriously, glad to see it worked out for you.

2012 FLHXSE3

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2011, 04:45:26 PM »

Well, it's over now, so the thread can continue a life of it's own, or not.  ;)  Got to the "Hoover Center for Public Safety", and of course they didn't have my paperwork in their file to immediately go into the courtroom setting, so I got to stand in line for 45 minutes.  Finally got to the window where there was a pretty cute gal waiting on folks...she told me I looked like Santa... :huepfenlol2:  So I asked if she'd like to sit on my lap...that pretty much broke the ice.  ;)  We got along great after that exchange, so I get to take a Defensive Driving Class next month, and it won't go on my record, plus it's cheaper than the ticket.  All's well that end's well.  And the Santa thing really did work... :huepfenlol2: :2vrolijk_21: :coolblue:
Terry glad it worked out well for you... once you complete the course you may want to turn a copy of the certificate of (or proof of taking) the course to your insurance company . Hell.... you might get an insurance reduction for taking it. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:48:58 PM by Fired00d »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2011, 05:08:59 PM »

..... soon?       :huepfenlol2:

Not on this road, at least.  I've lived in this house since 1987, and only in the last year or so have I seen them doing this, and it's becoming more regular.  So I'll be watching my P's and Q's when coming home at night from this point forward.

But, you're right (notice how I spelled that right?)...it was kind of anticlimactic.

TTS Mastertune

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2011, 05:40:10 PM »

Good for YOU  :2vrolijk_21:  I am glad it worked out

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »

I'm gonna do another burnout and go (well) over the speed limit again on the way home to celebrate. :coolblue:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2011, 06:27:09 PM »

:apple: :carrot: :pineapple: :mango: :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:Slow down and enjoy the ride.  :) Good deal TC.   :2vrolijk_21: har.  spyder

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2011, 06:48:15 PM »

Outstanding! :2vrolijk_21:

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »

Is that the trick for getting the ESP all the way off?

The crazy beast will spin 'em half way decent from a standing start with the traction control fully engaged. LOL

Yes sir that is how you fully awaken the beast, they say its about a 25 percent increase in power.    if you just press the button it only partial disables the beast.   Definitely not recommended if there is even the slightest hint of moisture on the roads.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2011, 07:03:38 PM »

Terry,

I was really hoping for a good fish story about how painful the courtroom was an how the judge gave you crap for driving that way at your age etc etc.   /Glad it worked out, but you are right anticlimatic.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »

... once you complete the course you may want to turn a copy of the certificate of (or proof of taking) the course to your insurance company . Hell.... you might get an insurance reduction for taking it.

There is something that doesn't work in Jersey.
Although the "have you taken a defensive driving course in the past X years?" question appears on many insurance applications, it is immediately followed by "that you were not mandated to take"  :nixweiss:

Is that grammatically correct or even proper engrish?

"There I was, driving 67 in a 5 listening to Led Zepplin, when all of a sudden..." and see how far it'll go.

Whats wrong with Led Zeppelin? :wall:

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2011, 07:19:33 PM »

Yes sir that is how you fully awaken the beast, they say its about a 25 percent increase in power.    if you just press the button it only partial disables the beast.   Definitely not recommended if there is even the slightest hint of moisture on the roads.

Wonder if that will work with my 400/800 dually  :nixweiss:

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2011, 07:33:49 PM »

I'm gonna do another burnout and go (well) over the speed limit again on the way home to celebrate. :coolblue:

If I can find a wet spot for the little V6 in the pickup to do a celebratory burnout I'll throw one on the way home too.   In TC's honor!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »

If I can find a wet spot for the little V6 in the pickup to do a celebratory burnout I'll throw one on the way home too.   In TC's honor!
And will you also do the celebratory jig style dance with Toby?  ::) har.  :drink: spyder

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2011, 11:29:33 PM »

And will you also do the celebratory jig style dance with Toby?  ::) har.  :drink: spyder

I'd pay good money to see that... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2011, 01:31:05 AM »

Ain't never gettin' my jig close to Toby....  ???

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2011, 07:01:45 AM »

Ain't never gettin' my jig close to Toby....  ???
I love it when a man just outright admits when he 'scared'.  ;D har.  spyder
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Page created in 0.639 seconds with 21 queries.