Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Rx Glasses, bi-focals Help!  (Read 6827 times)

DOOFUS

Re: Rx Glasses, bi-focals Help!
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 07:36:32 AM »

Ok. So. Do yall use a particular vendor to buy your Oakleys or whatever vrand - and that vendor installs the reading rx?  Or do u buy the sunglasses then send in for your reading rx?  Thnx in advance, DOOFUS

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 08:07:19 AM »

I dont look at the gauges... :drink:

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE granite denim & electric blue fade
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 08:15:11 AM »

I don't have the definitive answer but a couple of thoughts:
Are you getting these just to ride or for full time use? IMHO one needs at least couple of pairs. One for work, etc. and another for riding. You should consider Panoptix (sp) and Wiley X for riding. Time was they used to not do progressive lenses. That may have changed. Don't forget that the glasses are for seeing AND protection. Cover as much of you eyes as you can.
Get progressive lenses. NO LINE. You'll hate the line. Don't do it. Seriously. Don't get the line.
Transition lenses are great but they've a couple of limitations. They don't darken in a car (UV blocked) and they take forever to change to clear in cold weather. I've gone w/ a set of dark green lenses and a pair of transitions.

Good luck. Let us know what you choose and how it works out.

My transition lenses are prescription safety lenses and totally agree with most coverage (largest size) as you can.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 10:08:15 AM »

Ok. So. Do yall use a particular vendor to buy your Oakleys or whatever vrand - and that vendor installs the reading rx?  Or do u buy the sunglasses then send in for your reading rx?  Thnx in advance, DOOFUS
I have a pair of non-prescription Oakley Straight-Jackets and called them to see how much it would cost for prescription lenses if I sent the prescription in.  They said I had to go to one of their authorized retailer, and Lenscrafters was one of them. I brought my glasses in, and they said they wouldn't do them in existing frames.  That the lenses alone were something like $350 without any progressive, just straight polarized. Then I have to pay for the frames which was around $125. They wouldn't take insurance, and wouldn't deal either.  They said Oakley mandates pricing.  I walked out.  I'll just get Wiley's or something. F 'em.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

RidinRuby

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SEUC Ruby Red
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 10:34:47 AM »

Red Eagle, 

I am in the same boat as you.  Had lasik years ago but after about ten years, I found I could not read the odometer, etc.  I agree transition lenses are the way to go so you only have to have one pair with you.    8)

I recently checked at one of the motor cycle shows about getting bifocals for my Seven Eye Transition Sunglasses.  It seemed price prohibitive to me.  Years ago, I found theses:  OPTX 20/20 Stick-On Bifocals.  You can get them in whatever power you need and they can be found on Amazon.com in various powers for under $10.  They work perfectly and once put on properly will not move.  They can be trimmed to fit whatever sunglasses you are using and moved or changed as you need just by using water.  If you know your PD (pupil distance), they can be set like Rx glasses would be.  Works for me!   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21: 

I am gonna try these on my 7 Eye 24/7, thanks Greg for the heads up :2vrolijk_21:

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 11:09:05 AM »

DOOFUS

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 06:00:28 PM »

THNX !!!!!!!!!!

I have a pair of non-prescription Oakley Straight-Jackets and called them to see how much it would cost for prescription lenses if I sent the prescription in.  They said I had to go to one of their authorized retailer, and Lenscrafters was one of them. I brought my glasses in, and they said they wouldn't do them in existing frames.  That the lenses alone were something like $350 without any progressive, just straight polarized. Then I have to pay for the frames which was around $125. They wouldn't take insurance, and wouldn't deal either.  They said Oakley mandates pricing.  I walked out.  I'll just get Wiley's or something. F 'em.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 06:07:51 PM »

If you don't need bifocals and you are military or government employee check out this site - US Standard Issue. If you qualify you can get Oakley's really cheap... however since when buying bifocals a measurement is needed w/the frames on to make sure the "bifocal" is put in the proper place I wouldn't recommend getting bifocals thru mail order.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »

My prescription sunglasses are Ray-Ban frames...

Strong frames...works out well for me.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »

If you don't need bifocals and you are military or government employee check out this site - US Standard Issue. If you qualify you can get Oakley's really cheap... however since when buying bifocals a measurement is needed w/the frames on to make sure the "bifocal" is put in the proper place I wouldn't recommend getting bifocals thru mail order.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

:2vrolijk_21:     REALLY REALLY cheap compared to retail....

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 09:33:42 PM »

I dont look at the gauges... :drink:
These bikes have gages damn I wondered what those round holes had in them, better get my eyes checked
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 11:23:26 PM »

I wear transition progressive lenses in my regular daily glasses. I can wear them when I ride if I want, but when I get out on the road at real world speeds theres nothin better than my good old Panoptix. I paid the money at the time for the progressive bi focals and transition lenses. It was expensive at the time but well worth it in the long run. I use a 3 pocket windshield bag to make changing back and forth easy. Hope this helps, Kelly
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2011, 12:48:34 AM »

I like many others use transitions lens glasses with no line bifocals.
This company Sport RX is good to deal with whether you want prescription or just goggles or sunglasses :
http://sportrx.com/motorcyclehub.asp

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2011, 08:05:37 AM »

I have the Panoptix  with the line for bifocal. Originally got them with just long distance and you're right, I couldn't read the gauges. Sent them back for the bifocal. Takes some time to get use to. If I remember correctly, they couldn't put the progressive lens in for some reason. Wish I had them, I'm always tipping my head up and down.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

masiman

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2011, 07:51:08 PM »

Although they are becoming harder to find in drugstores, Wal-Greens used to sell stick on bi-focals that adhere to the inside of sunglasses and or riding goggles.    All you do is dampen them and place them in the bottom half of the lenses.      They were around 7 bucks from the drugstore or about three times that much at a dive shop.         
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 24 queries.