Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  All

Author Topic: General GPS routing, Programing, Transferring  (Read 41902 times)

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

Re: General GPS routing, Programing, Transferring
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2015, 04:31:44 PM »

for those 'trips around the block' it may be that your waypoint is set off the main road.  I had this issue a couple of times when I first started using my zumo and basecamp.  if I created a route in basecamp, and then transferred it to the zumo, every now and again I would have one of those weird things.  it wasn't until after I learned that before transferring the route to the zumo, you have to blow it up to a large scale and follow it from start to finish to 'verify' that it doesn't do that.  it's really bad if you place a waypoint on the southbound side if your on a northbound route.  it'll make you do a U-turn and circle back to it, then U-turn again to continue on your route.

Well aware of the waypoint issue, and I looked both then and that night at my routes in Ride Planner, I didn't have any waypoints anywhere near where I was. I try to use as few waypoints as possible, only enough to keep the track I want, and when I do use one I try to put it way out in the country so there's no confusion, and even then I do the zoom way in deal to make sure it's on my path.
2015 CVO Road Glide

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2015, 07:48:06 PM »

I have gotten burned using Ride Planner....you really need to zoom in make sure your waypoint is exactly on the road you want.

I put a waypoint on Interstate 95 and it had me doing a loop back and forth....I then realized the waypoint was on the northbound land while all I wanted to do is go south.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
General Infotainment GPS program, route PART 2016
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2016, 11:18:52 AM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=100182.0;all

Link above to last years discussion and figuring out the best routing programming for the new Harley Infotainment center GPS.  Lots of info but some has been updated and still moving.

So to cut 10 pages and start another tip thread for this coming riding season.

Please post what program and shortcuts you have found to help others.

Thanks again.
Will

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

Re: General Infotainment GPS program, route PART 2016
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2016, 11:26:53 AM »

I have stuck with the Garmin routing program BaseCamp.

I just updated the map on my old Garmin Nuvi and the laptop to City Navigator North American NT 2017.1

To update I used the Garmin program Garmin Express.  The program first updated the Nuvi (I only use to get these maps as I paid for lifetime maps a few years back) then I reopened the Garmin Express and hyperlink MAP OPTIONS button. This opened second page where at the bottom it asks if I want to update the computer.  So much easier this year....

Also I used this program to route a cross country trip last year. 13 days with 13 routes. Worked perfect. Loaded them all on thumb drive and transferred to my cvo and a 2014 Limited. Once in a while he would not Skip a waypoint. Only other note was some time zones were off, but there is a new radio update...

One last item, I got a free map update in the bike by downloading a fingerprint and receiving the map online. There was a thread for this and changing the file name to get it to "Authenticate"... My buddies Limited did not qualify and asked him to pay for the map. We didn't update his.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 11:29:26 AM by bakon »
Will

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2016, 11:30:35 AM »

new thread started for 2016 seems to be taken down for some reason....so those who made it through 10 pages to this year.....

I have stuck with the Garmin routing program BaseCamp.

I just updated the map on my old Garmin Nuvi and the laptop to City Navigator North American NT 2017.1

To update I used the Garmin program Garmin Express.  The program first updated the Nuvi (I only use to get these maps as I paid for lifetime maps a few years back) then I reopened the Garmin Express and hyperlink MAP OPTIONS button. This opened second page where at the bottom it asks if I want to update the computer.  So much easier this year....

Also I used this program to route a cross country trip last year. 13 days with 13 routes. Worked perfect. Loaded them all on thumb drive and transferred to my cvo and a 2014 Limited. Once in a while he would not Skip a waypoint. Only other note was some time zones were off, but there is a new radio update...

One last item, I got a free map update in the bike by downloading a fingerprint and receiving the map online. There was a thread for this and changing the file name to get it to "Authenticate"... My buddies Limited did not qualify and asked him to pay for the map. We didn't update his
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:41:40 PM by bakon »
Will

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2016, 03:21:05 PM »

bakon,
The new update appears to have fixed the time zone issues. The DST setting does not seem to function properly. Don't know if you have fooled around with Preferred under POIs but this is a neat feature. Also, to get a little extra viewing area on the map when you have Next Turn enabled, if you press and hold the Nav button on the radio faceplate you can toggle the audio source on the map display off and on. You can also initiate the map selector without having to touch the screen. Just thought I'd share this information.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:30:39 PM by cvosjoe »
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2016, 08:43:11 PM »

I didn't know of those features, but will try the toggle for sure. I set up for next turn on bottom and wish I could change the radio easier at times.
Will

DavidG_TKSE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSEANV #631
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon/Slate (Traded)
« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2016, 08:54:51 AM »

I like using basecamp but would rather us a web base app for ease and flexibility while on the road.  HD Ride Planner would be nice but as stated earlier it's not that reliable.

Seems like I alway find my way back to mapquest.

Been trying My Scenic Drive a couple of times but the server has been down.

I've started using MyRoute-app, http://www.myrouteapp.com/, so far so good.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2016, 05:51:02 AM »

Been six months since I ran a route. Have to brush up for this year
Will
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.