Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: Why a CVO instead of a standard model?  (Read 28166 times)

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
Re: Why a CVO instead of a standard model?
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2015, 07:41:12 AM »

DR sends me links to 2003 FLHRSEI2s he finds listed for sale on line. Depending on price and condition, I follow up on some of them. Price and condition can be viewed in two ways. One way is that the motocycle is in pristine condition with low mileage that justifies a price on the higher end of the market. The other is the bike can be high mileage and missing OEM parts thus priced on the lower end of the spectrum. Given that I have enough spart parts for ths model to virtually build one from scratch I often look at the lower priced ones. Yesterday was one such case. The bike in question ad $47,000 miles on it and the asking price was $9,400. Photos on the internet appeared to show it to be in good condition cosmetically. The issue was that it was missing a substantial amount of orginal parts. No windshield at all, no stock seat, no stock handlebars, mirrors, horn, rider and passenger seat backs (or the mechanism that operates the rider backrest) No stock mufflers (that's common) and none of the 100th anniversary suff like the soft indoor dust cover or gold key etc. I asked the seller if they were in possesion of any of the parts I've just listed - - no, they said. So, my view was that the bike at that point could no longer truly be called a CVO. Just too many things that were part of the orginal bike missing. This isn't a 1934 VL or something like that where a frame and a set of engine cases justifies a huge price to begin a major restoration. This is a 12 year old CVO that in my opinion only is worth good money because it's a CVO. If it's missing most of the CVO parts and has high mileage then it's nothing more than a throw away. How does anyone else feel about this issue ? It's my belief that you can and should do whatever you want with your own motorcycle to make it yours and make yourself happy with it. BUT, you should never discard OEM parts. It's relevent whether or not there is any value in them. Some are and some aren't BUT, if you're going to trade or sell in the future then you should be able to offer the next owner the option of returning the bike to OEM condition or doing with it as they please and so on. I don't believe in this as regards standard model H-D's but I feel very strongly about it as regards CVO models. The value of them is intristict to their differnces from standard models. If you strip and discard the differences how can you expect the value to remain ?

How say you ?

B B
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:16:22 AM by Spiderman »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2015, 08:43:26 AM »

I know people are saying resale but I am/ was looking to trade my 2013 cvo anniversary road King dealer only wants to give 20k I do have 38k miles not sure if its good or bad

Resale tends to vary depending on where in the country you happen to be, but IMHO many of the old claims about retaining value, not only for CVO's but Harley's in general, went out the window back before the Great Recession when Harley increased production capacity and started cranking them out like McDonalds.  In the 90's, it wasn't unusual to see used bikes selling for as much or even more than new bikes, thanks to the short supply of new bikes, and that's were all those stories of great resale value really came from.  Now that the supply of new bikes is more than capable of meeting demand, only truly clueless people would pay as much or more for a used bike, even a CVO.  In other words, reality has caught up with Harley resale values.  You might get lucky and find a private buyer who doesn't know any better and will give you more than it's worth, but if you trade or sell to a dealer you will lose a significant amount of money.  I haven't done a study, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that on a percentage basis, late model CVO's don't retain value much better than the standard models, at least in the Touring sector.

To me, the only valid reason to buy a CVO rather than a standard model is that you like all the extras on the CVO and would probably do many if not all of those changes if you bought a standard model.  It would cost a lot more to buy a standard model and then add all the other stuff yourself, even if you could sell all the take-offs.  Buying a CVO is like buying the Titanium edition of a four wheeled vehicle, it's an option package.  It is most definitely NOT a custom, no matter what Harley or some of the salesman imply. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2015, 11:04:33 AM »

I know the idea of "why a CVO" has been discussed for years and it seems there as many reasons as owners.
For me it comes down to several ways to look at the situation, do you buy one for financial reasons?, image/emotional reasons?
Each area has different subcategories such as in the image/emotional reason.....did you buy it because it looked or felt too good to pass up or that you think you look cool on it? Or you wanted to be the envy of those around you?
For financial reasons as mentioned many times I don't know if larger resale is a valid reason anymore and in one way is that a good reason to buy something, so you can reduce your loss at resale? I know I don't want to loose every penny in a vehicle of any type but I tend to buy a vehicle because it fills a need in my everyday life and that is the reason for purchase, if I don't loose too much at resale/trade in then that is an after the fact bonus as far as I'm concerned.
Now also for financial category is the idea they used to market a CVO that if you took a stock bike and added all the chrome and goodies it would cost more to make your own vs. buying the one the MOCO made so if you wanted all the stuff it was the cheapest way to go at the time. I imagine that may still hold true but I don't know if it's a sign of old age or not but I'm not sure I would add all the stuff on a new bike now.
I agree with grc in that the CVO is now a trim option so if you can afford it and you like it.....why not buy it but don't expect it to be a good financial investment.
Spiderman, your thoughts remind me of the old car/truck market where you have one camp that says the most valuable vehicles are the ones with all original parts and even paint with patina on it, then they claim the next most valuable is a restored vehicle with all original parts so it looks like it just came off a showroom floor. That group is at odds with the restomod/hotrod etc. groups that like old style vehicles but want modern updates like modern drivetrain, brakes, suspension etc.
Yet when you watch the auction shows you can see prices for all types of vehicles all over the place and it really shows supply and demand at work. So my .02 is to get highest price you have to find the right buyer who appreciates the originality or the customization whichever way an owner goes.

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2015, 12:10:08 PM »

This is my first CVO so cannot say from experience how I'll come out when I finally get rid of it.  I went CVO much for Jerry's reasons that it had the trim I wanted and should lose less on the accessories when I trade.  I also found myself near retirement thinking I may not ride many more years and was in a state financially that I could make it happen.

What has surprised me since I got it is all the crap I'm getting from my regular riding groups about buying a high end bike.  I ride with several groups of mid-age riders that many are on older HD's of the regular touring and softtail models. Its almost like they think I got it to out do their ride or show off somehow when I just wanted a really nice ride.  I've decided to just not mention the high end features on the CVO if we're out in a group and just say thanks if they happen to give me a compliment.  Have had several people stop me while out riding and complement the looks of the bike which is nice. Guess I just need to ride more with CVOHarley GTG's. :)
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2015, 04:26:02 PM »

What has surprised me since I got it is all the crap I'm getting from my regular riding groups about buying a high end bike.  I ride with several groups of mid-age riders that many are on older HD's of the regular touring and softtail models. Its almost like they think I got it to out do their ride or show off somehow when I just wanted a really nice ride.

Are these your friends? Get some new ones. I hate the thought that I should hide because I have been financially successful. My wife is sometimes embarrassed about some of the goodies we own but I am not. I had a guy admire my car the other day and said i don't know what kind of work you do…. and before he could finish I said hard work. His reply was that I must have been successful.

You buy a CVO because you want to and your reason for doing so are good enough because, IT"S YOUR MONEY!!!!!! You like the look and the motor and it feels nice to have great equipment. Go out and buy an ugly POS and lets see those riding buddies treat you like a king because you are penniless and without taste.

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2015, 05:30:40 PM »

Dr. D, these are mostly my friends and most of the harassment is just riding buddies picking at each other but deep down I know there is some truthfulness to their comments or it would not have popped into their head in the first place.  Simple matter is we're just at different points in life, their mid career raising kids while I'm late career with empty nest.  Guess we just have different priorities at this point. 

When I was looking at the finances of buying the CVO, spreading the cost over 5 to 10 years (including time paying off my trade-in) it really was a relatively small amount compared to finances needed to consider retiring.  I also considered that the total cost is not gone as only the depreciation, maintenance and insurance are lost costs.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2015, 06:46:43 AM »

Are these your friends? Get some new ones. I hate the thought that I should hide because I have been financially successful. My wife is sometimes embarrassed about some of the goodies we own but I am not. I had a guy admire my car the other day and said i don't know what kind of work you do…. and before he could finish I said hard work. His reply was that I must have been successful.

You buy a CVO because you want to and your reason for doing so are good enough because, IT"S YOUR MONEY!!!!!! You like the look and the motor and it feels nice to have great equipment. Go out and buy an ugly POS and lets see those riding buddies treat you like a king because you are penniless and without taste.

This why I came here back in 05 and why even when I get "frustrated" and start an alternative website with other frustrated members I still return here and value greatly the friendships I've made on this site. One thing I get a chuckle out of about this site is that there are a fe members that could have solid gold Harleys and yet they don't. The ones that show off the most are not the ones with the most money. Probably how they got the most money LOL. Anyway, everyone here is great when you get a new ride in congratulating you and asking all about it and there's no ill will or ego involved. Of all the things I thank Neal for having a place where I can show off a set o custom made saddlebags and seat that cost as much as a new 600cc crotch rocket is one of my favorite. Yeah, I'm part grasshopper sometimes myself  LOL
B B

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2015, 08:07:12 PM »

Huh?? Probably different standards but a CVO is in no way a sign of success in my book. It's a motorcycle / toy?  How is that a sign of success by any means?  Anyone can get a loan for a bike in any trailer park

jpswino

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 Ultra Violet Street Glide with Lava Flames
    • CVO2: Backyard Choppers
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2015, 07:29:07 AM »

I was shopping for my first new bike. Something I could lay down miles on which is tuff to do on choppers, although we have managed a few times. Showed up at the Stealership the night of their first delivery of 2015s last September to look at an ultra and in the bunch was a CVO SG. Took one look at, asked if a tour pack can added for trips, and told the guy don't even put it on the show room floor. The fact that it was different from stock bikes (and in my mind a much better upgrade) really appealed to me and justified the expense. I hate all things stock.....makes you feel like one of the sheeople out there. Lol

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2015, 12:28:27 AM »

Where do I begin?

Well, there's the:
Owning something that's rare and less seen,
Custom (and beautiful) paint schemes,
More HP and torque to play with,
Different engine along with many of the mechanical components,
Chrome:  front end, wheels, controls, covers, etc.
Different floorboards and grips than are available on a standard Harley
Stereo extras: amps, speakers, headsets, etc.
Different (heated) seats, plus heated grips,
Different guages,
And many other reasons!

So why would you buy an Audi instead of a VW?  Or a Lexus vs a Toyota?  Or a Macbook vs a Windows laptop?
Maybe it's just personal preference, sometimes for a feeling of prestige or additional pride in your vehicle, who knows, but I would rather own a CVO instead of a standard Harley.  Not being a snob but I just love the things!  But then I've been blessed to have the ability to buy one, too so if I couldn't afford a new one, I'd look for a good used one, or buy a standard Harley.  But it would be a Harley nonetheless!

Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

ZVO

• Dark Platimum? That’s Silver and Black
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE - Gone
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2015, 10:32:16 AM »

So why would you buy an Audi instead of a VW?  Or a Lexus vs a Toyota?  Or a Macbook vs a Windows laptop?
Maybe it's just personal preference, sometimes for a feeling of prestige or additional pride in your vehicle, who knows, but I would rather own a CVO instead of a standard Harley.  Not being a snob but I just love the things!  But then I've been blessed to have the ability to buy one, too so if I couldn't afford a new one, I'd look for a good used one, or buy a standard Harley.  But it would be a Harley nonetheless!

I think your comparisons are a bit off...you are equating different brands, I think that since a CVO is still a Harley than it's more like;
A standard model vs the upgraded version.
A Camaro instead of a Camaro SS
Or anything along that line.
The Autumn Wind is a pirate.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2015, 10:34:32 PM »

I think your comparisons are a bit off...you are equating different brands, I think that since a CVO is still a Harley than it's more like;
More like a AMG for Mercedes, M series for BMW, RS for Audi etc. Different motor, suspension as well as apperance options.
Alan

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2015, 10:22:49 AM »

More like a AMG for Mercedes, M series for BMW, RS for Audi etc. Different motor, suspension as well as apperance options.
X2
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

ckduallie

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2015, 05:44:04 AM »

I like Mustand to Shelby

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2015, 06:43:23 PM »

I think the Lexus  vs Toyota  comparison  is a fair one to make. I've  always thought of the Lexus as a Toyota  on steroids. Much like  CVO is a "regular" Harley on similar steroids with more bling, comfort (heated seats ect), and performance  (with the 110). But however you look at it, the CVO represents the top of the line for HD.

And in case your wondering  we own a Lexus too.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 22 queries.