Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Author Topic: Why a CVO instead of a standard model?  (Read 28248 times)

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
Re: Why a CVO??
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2015, 07:59:13 AM »

Talking with sales staff at various dealerships leads me to believe they appreciate that most CVO owners are more than conscientious about taking care of their bikes. Of course you don't have to have a CVO or even a Harley to have 'pride of ownership', but the expenditure to purchase a CVO is significant enough that it's kind of like a prize possession to most.

Schnobel

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 aka The Bee
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2015, 10:03:43 AM »

I asked the same question in a post a few weeks ago. You may want to read some of the replies there as well.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=101532.0

Welcome to the forum.

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Progressive Mono Tubes, Klockwerks 8.5; Heads By TMan, Rinehart True duals, TTS Mastertune By Doc's
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG Hard Candy, Crusher Tridents, Fulsac X, TTS Mastertune by Docs Performance
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2015, 12:36:04 PM »

Resale x4. Just traded a 2010 CVO Street Glide, Cobalt Blue with 35,000.00 miles on it. Traded it on a  2015 CVO. Dealer gave me $18700.00. They turned around and listed it for $24,000.00. It lasted 4 days on their show room floor, someone bought it not sure what they paid, hope not asking price. I loved that bike but not even I would have gave them that much for it. 
Riding around to some of the events and places here in SW Fl. I very seldom have a problem finding my bike when I come out. CVO's just stand out. I ride with a friend that has a Victory Cross Country he could careless about how it looks, the sounds it makes or who made it. He just likes it. Most CVO riders are not like that. Guess that's why their are so many different motorcycles.
Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, Live for Today.

PTRider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2015, 01:35:47 PM »

Schnobel, thanks for the link.  Very good info.

I'm currently riding a 2003 Sporty 883 that I bought used. Bought it to see if I liked riding with the idea that if I did, I could move up and get something else.  I've been back and forth between an Ultra and a SG.  I like the twin cooling feature of the ultra but don't necessarily want the tour pack.  When I saw the twin cooled CVO SG in hard candy chrome... well, it was hard to get the drool off my face.  My local dealer got another one in the other day and ..... well, what can I say? I want it!  Just hard to justify a bike that cost more than my F150 4x4.

I don't do a lot of touring per say, mainly a scoot back and forth to work but do ride around town a little.  I'm not one to buy something and then add this and that to it like many others do so I like the fact that the bike already comes with so much stuff. I won't have to think about adding to it. Just sign and drive.

When it comes to buying something, if my choices are "good, better, and best" I usually end up somewhere between better and best.  I can't say money is no object but I can agree with many of the other people that once you get on top, it's hard to look down!  The wife does not ride with me and has indicated she has absolutely no interest in doing so.  So, the passenger amenities of an ultra are not required.  Which is why I am leaning to the SG.

Thanks for all the other replies and to anyone else who wants to chime it.

Marc

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2015, 02:36:59 PM »

Marc let me just say that once you have a bagger (fairing, stereo, someplace to lock your jacket and gloves, etc.) that you'll ride further and further.  It turns in to overnighters, then it turns into weekenders.  Soon you'll be wanting to take four or five days or a week vacation.  You'll ride further and further mileage per day. 

For me......it wasn't something I planned.....it just kind of started happening (years ago) when it was still considered "an old man's motorcycle and I'll never be caught dead on one".  :)  I assume that's kind of the way it's gone for others and that's why baggers are the most popular models now.  It's just way, way more comfortable on a bagger. than other models.

If you go for the SESG......you can always add a quick release tour pack later on, when you find yourself taking those overnight and multi-day trips.  I say reach for what you really want and be happy instead of riding down the road, seeing what you really want go passing by and thinking to yourself "man, I sure wish I had that one".  Go for it!  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: Why a CVO instead of a standard model?
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2015, 08:50:13 PM »

I had a 03 Fatboy 100th Anniversary bike, 36,000 miles on it.  I had just over 30K in the bike by late 2008.  It was worth about 11K in trade max so I kept the bike

When I realized the 2009 CVO Road Glide was 32,000.  That's what I bought to go with the Fatboy.  I only did an exhaust and tune, and chopped tour pack.  With 43K miles on it in 2011, I traded it for a 12 CVO Road Glide, got just over 26 in trade for it.  Then in when the 15 CVO road glide ultra came out, I traded the 12 with 45,600 miles on it for the 15.  Got just over 26 in trade for it, and the 12 never hit the show room floor before it was sold.

I also have a 13 CVO Road King 110th anniversary edition.  17K on it.  The fatboy is only at 39K now.

So I are once you go CVO, most do not go back.  I also believe I do better on resale or trade due to not adding much to the bike to make it look good and go good.

Once you go touring frame most do not go back either unless weight becomes and issue as they get older.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ZVO

• Dark Platimum? That’s Silver and Black
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE - Gone
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2015, 04:44:21 PM »

If you need to justify it then you shouldn't buy it. It's like debating wether a guy should go into the baseball hall of fame if you have to debate then he doesn't belong.

In turn if you need to convince yourself you want the bike it's probably better you don't get it cause that Buyers Remorse is gonna kick your azz!
The Autumn Wind is a pirate.

CVORoadKing2013

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2015, 05:03:12 PM »

I know people are saying resale but I am/ was looking to trade my 2013 cvo anniversary road King dealer only wants to give 20k I do have 38k miles not sure if its good or bad

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2015, 08:48:04 PM »

I know people are saying resale but I am/ was looking to trade my 2013 cvo anniversary road King dealer only wants to give 20k I do have 38k miles not sure if its good or bad

Well, in my area the 14 CVO Kings did not sell well, in fact I saw them on the floor for 26K.  The 13's sold a little better but did go for just under MSRP.

Still I do think that is a little low on trade.  I usually loose between 5 and 6K on a two/three year old CVO with 40-45K miles on it.  I think that is pretty fair.

CVORoadKing2013

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2015, 08:51:10 PM »

Yea I think it's a little low too. I am going to go by a couple other dealers and see.
I agree the cvo road kings haven't seemed to go over well the last couple years
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 08:53:10 PM by CVORoadKing2013 »

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2015, 11:43:32 PM »

False sense of status is probably one reason. Face it $40K might be a lot for a bike but it's chump change for a real performance car.

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2015, 07:52:41 AM »

In 2007 after waiting six years for another SERG to be introduced without success, I bought a standard FLTR for $19,000 and then spent another $15,000 creating my own Faux SERG. It's a great motorcycle but the value of it today is based on as if it were a standard FLTR.
If you're going to dump double the cost of a Harley into it you might as well buy a CVO. To be sure, 8 years later you're not gonna get your money back but you will get some of it as opposed to non of it for that $15,000 worth of add ons.

Just my 2cents

B B

Yes, that "PGE" in the VIN does make a difference at resale.

I am worse still. I am only interested in Anniversary CVO Road Kings. The 105th and 110th SERKs did not interest me. Especially all that "Black" where chrome used to be.

Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2015, 10:44:08 AM »

I had no desire for a CVO until after I got mine.  I was the best man at a wedding for a mechanic at my local dealership.  The dealership owner was at the wedding.  We've known each other for a few years.  My friend told him I was interested in buying a CVO Road Glide (and I wasn't).  The dealership owner made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He also paid top dollar for a trade in on my 2010 Road Glide Custom.  I love the bike and couldn't be happier with my purchase.  I added RB Racing Pipes and Steve from TTS dyno tuned it.  Steve was also at the wedding.  I swapped out the rear suspension for Progressive 970's.  Bottom line is that I got everything I need from the CVO with a few minor modifications.  IMHO, it was a good purchase.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2015, 09:34:52 PM »

False sense of status is probably one reason. Face it $40K might be a lot for a bike but it's chump change for a real performance car.

Well honestly its a lot harder to justify spending 40K on a bike, than it is to blow 70K on a true performance car.

Me it was a lot harder to Justify the 70K for my 14 Stingray than it was to justify the 40K for my 15 CVO road glide ultra, or the 13 CVO King I have also.  I really do not see the bikes or the Stingray as status symbols.  I have owned a corvette since I was 24, so I have had at least one in the garage for the last 26 years. 

Why?  Well the car, at 18 months old has 7140 miles on it.  The King has close to 20K on it, and the 9 month old CVO Road Glide Ultra has 12,900 on it, and I leave on it this week for a 6500 mile trip.

At 2 years old I doubt I hit 9K on the car, yet the 15 CVO will be over 22K at a year old.

I put way more miles a year on a bike than a car for the last 7 years or so.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2015, 10:02:59 PM »

I agree with you Dave.
Hard to lean a car, regardless of cost, in the curves.

Well honestly its a lot harder to justify spending 40K on a bike, than it is to blow 70K on a true performance car.

Me it was a lot harder to Justify the 70K for my 14 Stingray than it was to justify the 40K for my 15 CVO road glide ultra, or the 13 CVO King I have also.  I really do not see the bikes or the Stingray as status symbols.  I have owned a corvette since I was 24, so I have had at least one in the garage for the last 26 years. 

Why?  Well the car, at 18 months old has 7140 miles on it.  The King has close to 20K on it, and the 9 month old CVO Road Glide Ultra has 12,900 on it, and I leave on it this week for a 6500 mile trip.

At 2 years old I doubt I hit 9K on the car, yet the 15 CVO will be over 22K at a year old.

I put way more miles a year on a bike than a car for the last 7 years or so.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 21 queries.