Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: HID Alternative---Dual HID bulbs for high and low beam  (Read 48345 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: HID Alternative---Dual HID bulbs for high and low beam
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2007, 09:26:50 PM »

. . .

Guess it was worth the experiment.  Maybe there's a reason the Luminics cost more  :nixweiss: ?  They're not offered in an 8000k color temp.  I'm assuming their 6000k offering is the next best thing to try though.  I'll guinea pig them myself before sucking anyone else in next time though.  Sorry guys......  :oops:

Don, I think I'm just gonna bump mine up to the Luminics 6000Ks and call it a day. :drink:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2007, 02:49:54 AM »

brian, looks like your bulb is "whiter" than don's

Neal, I've not been able to confirm the color temp on the Harley branded HID headlight.  Have so far seen it referenced or been told it was, alternatively, 4250k, 5000k, 6000k and 7250k.

I know for sure that the blue on the new ones I installed are BLUE.  And they stay blue shining all the way down the road.  Some HIDs on cages I've driven started out bluer and then faded back some as they got warm.  These things start blue and stay that way.

It was actually a bit eerie to get used to for the first few miles.  It's an unusual caste of light to look in to.  Once you learn that you can trust you begin to realize that contrast and other highlights within the beam are actually very very good.  From every visual comparison I've run cross so far though these new lights are a true 8000k blue.  So now matter which of the several options for the Harley light might actually be correct it won't look as blue as do these new lights in the red bike.

The company I got them from offer their kits in several color temps actually.  Several temps less blue and down through the white and gray ranges "lower" than what I chose and a purple hued HID bulb with a color temp "higher" than what I chose.  They all were represented as casting their light roughly equally down the road.  So that color doesn't seem to directly represent the effectiveness.  I just liked the blue color....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2007, 02:53:04 AM »

Don, I think I'm just gonna bump mine up to the Luminics 6000Ks and call it a day. :drink:

Brian, from what little I've looked so far that's likely the best option.  Nothing else I've found advertised seems to come close.  The "True Blue" branded lights at the parts stores or Wal Mart are only going to below 6000k; and they're not any cheaper than the Luminics parts.  Pretty sure those will be my one other shot also.  They'll be "good enough."

The other option is actual HID versions of those lights.  They'd be about a dead on match.  Better light too.  But that's a lot of freaking money for spotlights.  Plus, no place else to mount the second pair of ignitors....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2007, 08:36:34 PM »

ok, i scored a dual bulb setup. so i'm still considering this.

Don you said you originally did 2 H-9's before going HID but once HID you have 1 H-9 and 1 H-11.  why not use 2 H-9 HIDs?

I thought about doing just that Neal.  But I was hoping that the HID lights would in fact be good enough that I would want more distinction/differentiation between high and low beam than just the optics would provide.  Also the output difference between the two HID bulbs was actually quite minimal.  So there wasn't a lot of difference to be gained or lost anyway.

Given the effect of the two lamps in my reflector housing I am pleased with the effect of the two bulbs that are in there.  The high beam bulb reaches plenty far enough out there now and does so without getting a flash back from oncoming drivers.  If a brighter bulb were in that location I might not be able to get by with that.  I was hoping to be able to; and so far anyway it seems to be working out that way.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2007, 09:03:13 PM »

i usually kill the HI if i see oncoming, i was thinking it might save a few bucks by ordering 2 of the same
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2007, 11:23:10 PM »

i usually kill the HI if i see oncoming, i was thinking it might save a few bucks by ordering 2 of the same

There seems to be little enough practical difference between the two I'd honestly not be too worried.  It will be a night and day improvement no matter what.

I'd wanted to keep the high beam on option open just in case they weren't as good as I was hoping they'd be.  Had needed to use high beam almost exclusively before to get any even moderately funcitional light so was working with that as a baseline.

With the new ones, however, things work well enough that the switch from high to low is effective either way.  So will actually use both ranges now.  So far so good.

Speaking to the 881 type bulbs again; am beginning to wonder if there may not be a good option. It looks as if the "bluest" option will be Luminics 6000k.  But noticed today the product disclaimer.  They are just standard 27 watt 881s to begin with.  And they're apparently not using a unique element of any kind to get the color temp or a natural glass.  Disclaimer read to the effect of: Bulbs are double coated, will impede lighting effectiveness, use them to look cool but don't expect great light.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2007, 11:24:04 PM »

By the way Neal; which dual bulb housing did you get?

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »

67864-04

Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

The Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp features advanced reflector optics and separate bulbs for high and low beam functions. The euro-inspired projector beam styling combines a state-of-the-art look with a CAD designed faceted reflector bowl that is optimized for crisp patterns and light cut-off. The single upper bulb functions in low beam, and both upper and lower bulb operate in high beam. The low beam setting produces a wide curb-to-curb light pattern, and the high beam adds focused light down the center of the lane without compromising width. Kit includes housing, 55-watt low beam halogen lamp, 35-watt high beam halogen lamp and all necessary mounting hardware. Does not meet ECE regulations.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2007, 09:38:15 AM »

i ordered a pair of H9 HIDs last night

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2007, 09:39:50 AM »

Speaking to the 881 type bulbs again; am beginning to wonder if there may not be a good option. It looks as if the "bluest" option will be Luminics 6000k.  But noticed today the product disclaimer.  They are just standard 27 watt 881s to begin with.  And they're apparently not using a unique element of any kind to get the color temp or a natural glass.  Disclaimer read to the effect of: Bulbs are double coated, will impede lighting effectiveness, use them to look cool but don't expect great light.

just a thought but having "white" sposts that dont match the blue.... would the contrast help make you more noticeable to on-coming?

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2007, 09:40:04 AM »

i ordered a pair of H9 HIDs last night

I was all over the net last night and couldn't see what might work any better than some of the stuff we all have tried for the spots.  Sure would like to hit on something.

Good luck on your project Neal.

just a thought but having "white" sposts that dont match the blue.... would the contrast help make you more noticeable to on-coming?

I think it can, the change to more power was a great add on mine for the brightness and visibility in daylight to the oncoming vehicles IMO.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 09:41:53 AM by Rjob749 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2007, 01:27:35 PM »

67864-04

That's what I guessed.  It should work well.  Not sure if you'll shoe-horn both ignitors inside the nacelle or have to put one in the hole in front of the battery (or stuck anyplace else out of the way).  Won't be a bad job in any case though.  And you'll love the light.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2007, 01:31:16 PM »

There is certainly "contrast" between them; that's for sure.  The original looks like awfully yellow and harsh in comparison.  But the contrast should certainly be noticable. 

Quite frankly from a bit of distance back it wouldn't surprise me if an oncoming vehicle thought it was seeing two vehicles approaching.  At least until the lights merged enough that it had to be one source.

A pair of nice bright spots in conjunction with these lights do work really well.  No complaints at all about their function.  The look I can certainly live with as trade-off for the effect.  Just would be nice to stumble in to an easy, effective and inexpensive option to solve everything though  :) .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2007, 01:36:33 PM »

I was all over the net last night and couldn't see what might work any better than some of the stuff we all have tried for the spots.  Sure would like to hit on something.

Good luck on your project Neal.

I think it can, the change to more power was a great add on mine for the brightness and visibility in daylight to the oncoming vehicles IMO.

Rog, short of spending a lot more money and using actual HID lights in the spots as well I've not found anything either.  And after considering those 6000k Luminics bulbs a bit more I'm not actually considering them. 

They may end up looking a little better.  But that's all they'll do.  Not only are they the stock 27w output to begin with the masks on the bulbs to make them shine blue will effectively ruin even that minimal amount of light.  After it filters out all the good white and other shades of light that our eyes like to leave just that blue shade it'll only be leaving about the worst possible light for the human eye to take advantage of.  Not a great idea. 

That's actually one of the cool things about the HID lights.  There is a TON of good bright white light going down the road.  The various colors are just a byproduct.  So we still see well and the color is just an "accessory" byproduct.  But with the standard type bulbs filtered to leave only blue we'd really have very very bad light.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2007, 01:42:15 PM »

That's what I guessed.  It should work well.  Not sure if you'll shoe-horn both ignitors inside the nacelle or have to put one in the hole in front of the battery (or stuck anyplace else out of the way).  Won't be a bad job in any case though.  And you'll love the light.

i'm hoping i can shoe horn both of them in. i'll find out when i get the parts in and get started

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 22 queries.