Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: hoist cvo pickup ride member takes a spill  (Read 19716 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: hoist cvo pickup ride member takes a spill
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2007, 10:49:20 AM »

Sure glad that you're O.K.  Not sure if I missed this thread or if it just shot to six pages real quick.

The two most important things on my bike are my tires and my brakes......everything else is secondary.  Also, as the tire wears down, the more it wears, the faster it wears.  So what looks like it may have another thousand miles left on it may only have a couple hundred miles on it in reality.  Not sure what, in the compound, makes it wear like that, but it does.  Of course speed or twisties would only accelerate that wear.

It's not a question of the tire's compound somehow being softer closer to core as opposed to out on the tread JC.  At least not appreciably so to account for accelerated wear.  Biggest thing is that the tire just gets hotter.

Deep tread allows a channel for air flow.  Air flow is cooling.  Once tread gets very low or nonexistent you've got much greater surface area of the tire in direct contact or nearly direct contact with the pavement.  That'll make the tire run hotter.  That'll make it wear faster.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2007, 11:16:31 AM »

It's not a question of the tire's compound somehow being softer closer to core as opposed to out on the tread JC.  At least not appreciably so to account for accelerated wear.  Biggest thing is that the tire just gets hotter.

Deep tread allows a channel for air flow.  Air flow is cooling.  Once tread gets very low or nonexistent you've got much greater surface area of the tire in direct contact or nearly direct contact with the pavement.  That'll make the tire run hotter.  That'll make it wear faster.

I'm sorry Don but I'm not buying your theory of the tread or lack of changing the tires ability of keeping it cool. My opinion is that because of the load verses the size of the tires on these bikes load causes a heat build up especially on a long ride when bagged up like on the trips we take. I do know that the compound on a tire can be changed by heating it up and cooling it down from my racing days, heck you've seen cup cars scrub in tires to get them set for the race haven't you. I believe that by running these tires like we do over and over again we actually make the surface softer causing the tire to wear more quickly as they get older, add to that the tire gets harder due to less rubber being there causing a handling problem like were discussing here. When I got back from my last long ride I couldn't believe after feeling both tires how hot that back tire was getting, I now run my back tire at maximum pressure on long trips. Maybe I'm out to lunch here but please comment if you have more accurate info.

Roy....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2007, 11:33:50 AM »

I'm sorry Don but I'm not buying your theory of the tread or lack of changing the tires ability of keeping it cool.

Roy, it's not the only thing but it does factor in.  And it's not my theory.  Came from a structrual dynamacist teaching a class I took from Goodyear several years ago.  It's by no means the only factor.  But it is a compounding (pardon the pun) factor that then impacts on everything else that's going on.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2007, 11:39:53 AM »

Roy, it's not the only thing but it does factor in.  And it's not my theory.  Came from a structrual dynamacist teaching a class I took from Goodyear several years ago.  It's by no means the only factor.  But it is a compounding (pardon the pun) factor that then impacts on everything else that's going on.

Not trying to totally discredit your explanation as a possibility because I believe I could be wrong but I also remember Nascar trying rain tires (with tread) about a decade ago having a problem with the tires getting too hot. It's so funny how everyone has a different analysis of a situation that there is no clear cut answer.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2007, 11:44:19 AM »

Not trying to totally discredit your explanation as a possibility because I believe I could be wrong but I also remember Nascar trying rain tires (with tread) about a decade ago having a problem with the tires getting too hot. It's so funny how everyone has a different analysis of a situation that there is no clear cut answer.
Just checked in with Al Gore.  He said it is all due to global warming. :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2007, 11:46:21 AM »

Too true.  Here I'm just guessing and basing it on no one's instruction.  But I'd wonder how much of an apples to oranges comparison we'd be making with tires designed for the track in comparision to tires designed for the street?

Those are significantly different compounds with significantly different properties.  Ability to handle heat, just how soft they are, and a variety of other things are all much different.  That structural dynamics class I sat through was really bent toward street applications as it was spooling me up for some testimony to be given later. 

Hopefully the company guy wasn't spinning the company line too hard.  Some independent verification later of the main points of his discussion suggested he wasn't.  But when you're being tutored on things beyond your own background it always pays to check it out a little  ::) .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2007, 11:46:49 AM »

Just checked in with Al Gore.  He said it is all due to global warming. :2vrolijk_21:

Well crap.........

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2007, 12:15:58 PM »

Maybe MFG could sum it up.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2007, 12:41:45 PM »

Maybe MFG could sum it up.

If he were still a member here, I do believe he would have the answer.  Not that we could read to the end of the post to figure it all out, but he would have the answer.   :D 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2007, 02:49:18 PM »

If he were still a member here, I do believe he would have the answer.  Not that we could read to the end of the post to figure it all out, but he would have the answer.   :D 

Definitely a blast from the past MrsWe.  He'd have explained, cut and pasted 17 sources detailing it, remotely planned the Canada ride and tightened the whole thread's lug nuts for good measure.  You suppose he's still out there in the hills someplace curled up behind a scope?

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2007, 03:41:54 PM »

Definitely a blast from the past MrsWe.  He'd have explained, cut and pasted 17 sources detailing it, remotely planned the Canada ride and tightened the whole thread's lug nuts for good measure.  You suppose he's still out there in the hills someplace curled up behind a scope?

I would bet he still monitors this forum.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2007, 04:04:22 PM »

Barry,
I just saw this post and am glad you're not badly damaged. Sux to have your bike down coming into riding season but I know you'll use the time wisely (planning what iteration of the melon you'll bring to life). I was questioning how much longer I was going to leave my aging rear tire on the scoot... you gave me the answer. Thanks.  :2vrolijk_21:

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2007, 06:34:17 PM »

Barry, just saw the thread and sorry about your mishap but so very glad you are OK.  Take care of that melon buddy.  Ain't that many out there and as you know I killed one last year in MV.  No fun and not something to be repeated.

It's the green Harley thing.

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2007, 10:10:06 PM »

Well...here is a pic.

I really am missing my bike...now I know why some of  you have two!

DisAir
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2007, 10:13:50 PM »

OUCH, your one lucky guy to have walked away from that
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 22 queries.