Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: FXR4 engine?  (Read 12396 times)

hatchetjak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: FXR4 engine?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 12:41:34 PM »

Well Im still here, just not very good a checking in and usually dont have much to add. But I am confident that I was mis-informed about the stage 1 kit from the factory. Mine had it when I bought it, used at 4800 miles, so I assssumed....wrong again. But I do have a number 4 stamped on the cylinders. I would have never noticed it. hj

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2006, 04:08:10 PM »

...But I do have a number 4 stamped on the cylinders. I would have never noticed it. hj

Thanks for following up HJ. Seems that the "4" stamp is 100% consistent across all FXR4 models tested. (even if it is only 2!!!)
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

RedFXR2

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2006, 08:52:43 PM »

Thanks for following up HJ. Seems that the "4" stamp is 100% consistent across all FXR4 models tested. (even if it is only 2!!!)

hatchetjak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2006, 10:11:26 PM »

Off topic...I have to say, while I love my 4, I believe the fxr2 is the best looking of the bunch. I've always disliked the oem side covers of the 3s and 4s. I put chrome after market original style covers on my 4...kept the big yellow stock ones of course, but I'm sure I wont ever put them on again unless I sell it, which I wont. I think the paint, the 21 inch front wheel and the black and chrome engine are hard to beat on the 2s. But they are all great bikes and I am proud to own one. hj

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 11:39:12 AM »

I agree about the side-plates. Seems as though the 4 took a side plate fashioned after the FLH, or bat-wing models, rather than the original FXR. I think it is till pretty recognizable as a FXR though. I guess, since (IMO) the CVO FXR's (and the CVO program as a whole) started as a way to create an "elite" method of simply using up the old, end-of-life inventory, perhaps they ran out of the original side-plate parts and had to create something similar without have to re-engage the old production line.

I can't imagine why MoCo would forsake the 21" front wheel in favor of the 19" standard on the 4 though. That one escapes me.

Can you through a pic or two out to show us what you've done with yours?

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 11:41:51 AM »

Who's got time to play detective and get to the bottom of this?

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 10:28:59 AM »

...I can't imagine why MoCo would forsake the 21" front wheel in favor of the 19" standard on the 4 though. That one escapes me.

Seems odd to quote myself, but anyway... From the other thread re: 21" front wheel, the logic flow seems to be that MoCo had to choose between the 19" dual-disc configuration and the 21" single-disc configuration for the 4. Interesting. Kinda surprises me that they don't make a 21" dual hub, but kinda doesn't in that there aren't many models that use the dual-hub configuration. Shame too, I absolutely love the dual set on my 4 but the 21" wheel does look sharp.

RedFXR2

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 10:35:15 AM »

I absolutely love the dual set on my 4 but the 21" wheel does look sharp.

I think the style theme of the FXR2 was different from the 3, which was different from the 4.  Using the 21" front on the 2 is more low rider street custom and the larger tires on the 3 and 4 seem more intended for sport performance, particularly considering the dual discs and low handlebars on the 4.  Do the 3's and 4's use 18" front wheels?  If so, aren't they also wider than the 21"?  Again, better for overall handling.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 03:50:37 PM »

...Do the 3's and 4's use 18" front wheels?

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2006, 09:58:28 PM »

...Make it three; mine has it also....uuuuummm?

Thanks elvislee, and welcome to the group.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2006, 09:02:06 AM »

...can you tell me where ya got those lever tassles? ... I'd like to find some to dress my yellow with?...

They are made by a company in New york called "Iron Braid". They are about $90 for the set, plus shipping. You can select any combination of up to 3 colors from a wide range of options. Other choices include "Fringe" (the tassle part) or "No Fringe"; Add bolo's or not, etc. The thing that I like is they come wrapped around a chrome spoon lever, so you just pull the lever pin and install the new one...done. Couldn't be easier. You also can choose the type of lever, e.g, spoon, trigger, sillouette, etc.

Anyway, check 'em out at www.ironbraid.com.

I stand by the product, as I have had mine for about 6 years. My wife has them on her Low rider, and I just ordered a new set for my FXR (brake lever got chewed up in the crash). While they don't stand up well to asphalt, they do stand up well to weather and last a long time due to the quality workmanship of the Iron Braid folks.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 08:34:55 PM »

Heck, I wish we had more participation down here, period.  All the CVO FXR's.  I guess it's the relatively small production quantities coupled with passage of time, and the fact that the CVO has a different audience/focus more recently than in 1999 and 2000.

Hang in there, though. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

HeHe!!! Well we're here now Mike, and we're even busier than the Touring Bike Boards!!! Your target audience has been revitalized!!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 10:33:13 AM »

I just scrambled out to the garage with my flashlight and behold!  Yep, I too have the "4" stamp. Have to admit though, it took my creaky old knees a lot longer to get up and back to the computer than it took to get out there. For what it works, gravity gets stronger the older you get.

Abbynormal

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 yellow
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 11:04:47 AM »

I just scrambled out to the garage with my flashlight and behold!  Yep, I too have the "4" stamp. Have to admit though, it took my creaky old knees a lot longer to get up and back to the computer than it took to get out there. For what it works, gravity gets stronger the older you get.

ooops. Replied with Plasmaman's logon again. I will be more careful in the future to check and log him off before I open my fat mouth. Sorry. AND, should read, "for what it's worth..."

SEFXR4

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 04:49:50 PM »

I had a XL1200,a FXR3 and then I purchased a FXR4.The only modification is that it has the early SE slip ons that sound great.I don't know and I've talked to many experts including several on here and the so called perf mods that were done at the factory no one will ever know.The FXR4 runs stronger than my 3 out of the hole.The 4 had no problem smokin TC,s a few times...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.