Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: FXR4 engine?  (Read 12411 times)

rogerutley

• Junior CVO Member
  • fxr3
FXR4 engine?
« on: December 07, 2003, 09:30:17 PM »

just a curious question...what engine does the fxr4 have? i have always thought it was the stock silver evo..is this correct?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 09:31:16 PM by rogerutley »
fxr3

RedFXR2

Re: FXR4 engine?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 10:15:50 PM »

Your FXR4 has a 1340 Evo engine, like the FXR2 and 3 before it.  And yes, it was the only model year 2000 to be built with the Evolution motor.  The FXR frame won't accomodate the 1450 without modification, requiring that HD go through a costly Govt. recertification process.

The CVO FXR's were probably the last time HD will ever (1) build the FXR frame and (2) build the Evo motor.

Then again HD like nostalgia so never say never.

hatchetjak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 10:18:25 PM »

There's no doubt that it is a 1340 evo engine (silver), and I was told it came with a factory installed stage 1 kit...as far as why they would only put it in the 2000 FXR4, I'm not sure, except that it was suppose to be limited to a short run.  For what its worth,  the current issue of American Iron has an article on twin cam 88s that says EPA "noise regulations" forced Harley to abandon the gear drivin single cam 1340 evo, which they say meant the demise of the 1340, and change to the quieter chain drivin twin cams of the 88s (which they are having problems with on the early models)...sounds like a load of crap to me

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 09:52:17 AM »

... it is a 1340 evo engine (silver), and I was told it came with a factory installed stage 1 kit...

I know, I know this is a really, really old thread... but it seems that I can't stop reading the archives.

I wonder does anyone really know what MoCo did to these motors? I've heard some say (as quoted above) that they came with Stage I kits, but I know mine did not. I replaced the stock with a Stage I kit shortly after buying it. I have also heard things ranging from "performance cam" to "bored over" - but fact is, I don't think so. I have read in here of so many folks doing the cam work after, and OEM pistons are commonly available online - are the differnt that stock EVO? I don't know, people walk up and say all the time, "whoa, that's not stock" when they here it, but who knows? I suspect people wouldn't kick out the change for a SE-57 Cam if the CVO cam was truely "performance" upgraded.

This I do know, as far as this goes:
... EPA "noise regulations" forced Harley to abandon the gear drivin single cam 1340 evo, which they say meant the demise of the 1340, and change to the quieter chain drivin twin cams of the 88s...
The EVO has a distinctive sound, and side-by-side with my '05 Dyna Low Rider (TC88) with similar pipes - the EVO is significantly louder. In fact, the pipes on the FXDLR came off of the FXR. They used to set off car alarms up & down the street on the FXR, which they do not do on the Low Rider.

who knows. I say as long as you're happy with it, does it matter?
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

RedFXR2

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »

I wonder does anyone really know what MoCo did to these motors? I've heard some say (as quoted above) that they came with Stage I kits, but I know mine did not. ... I have also heard things ranging from "performance cam" to "bored over" - but fact is, I don't think so.

I have a sales brochure for my FXR2 as well as the owner's manual.  There's nothing in either that would indicate that the motors are anything but a stock Evo.  The sales brochure lists all kinds of features, so I would think that if any motor upgrades were present from the factory, they would certainly be listed there.  The bore/stroke is listed (stock Evo) as well as displacement (stock Evo again).  They state the torque as 76 ft-lbs, however, which sounds a bit optimistic for a stock Evo, but I could be wrong.  Have to dig around for the same spec for other 1999 Evo motors for comparison.  All that having been said, it wouldn't surprise me to find that Stage 1 kits were installed at dealers as near standard procedure on most or all of these bikes.

As for Stage 1 kits on FXR4's, well, surf ebay for a fXR4 brochure and see if it says anything.  Again, I think if HD did it at the factory, they'd have it in the brochure.

When I had my heads, ignition and cam installed, the difference over stock was very noticeable, even though I've never had it on a dyno, so I can testify as to the upgrade from stock that those parts provided.  So, unless somebody's got some good information otherwise,  I'm going to stick with the opinion of the factory installing stock Evos on CVO FXR's

The EVO has a distinctive sound, and side-by-side with my '05 Dyna Low Rider (TC88) with similar pipes - the EVO is significantly louder.

My motor took on a different tone after the mods.  "Crisper" for lack of a better term.  Not sure if it's any louder, but it is different.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 02:01:09 PM »

As for Stage 1 kits on FXR4's, well, surf ebay for a fXR4 brochure and see if it says anything.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 02:35:24 PM »

Yesterday while I was toothbrush-scrubbing my engine (I know, I know... my wife says that too!) anyway, I noticed that there is the number "4" stamped into the middle cooling fin on each cylinder on the primary side. Does the 2's and 3's have 2's and 3's stamped accordingly? Wondering if this was used to identify COV engines? Seems serial numbers would do that too, but perhaps this is an easy visual?

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 02:37:01 PM »

if this was used to identify COV engines?

...CVO engines, obviously.

RedFXR2

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 08:58:39 PM »

This one sent me scrambling out to the garage with a flashlight.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:59:07 PM by RedFXR2 »

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 11:01:21 PM »

Definitely a Cali motor, not sure why they would do just Cali though?

I figure a picture is worth a thousand attempts to describe, so...

I tried to capture close-up and reference. The stamp is on the 5th fin from the top, on the top-side of the fin. The stamp on the rear cylinder is proper reading orientation while the stamp on the forward cylinder is upside-down? Also, I have worked with punch-stamps a little, and I am very curious to know how they even stamped these? The next fin above completely covers the top, and gives only what, a 1/2" of clearance?

Anyway, I don't know what it means...

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 11:02:57 PM »

another view, rear cylinder:

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 11:05:03 PM »

and a last view; forward cylinder (although not as clear - this one was harder to capture because of the orientation):

RedFXR2

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »

Interesting.  This time I took a flashlight and a magnifying glass to the garage.  I have no such marks on my cylinders....that I can see, anyway.

Looking at your photos, it appears to me that these stamps were made after the powdercoat was applied with some sort of pinch tool.  These are sharp, fine stamp lines that could be obscured under the powdercoat.  I say that because I have the black motor and while I was examining my cylinders, I was thinking how difficult that stamp would be to see underneath.

Are you the original owner?  [Trying to figure why someone along the line would have done this.]  I don't guess you have the same digit stamp elsewhere on the motor, say cases, heads, anywhere?

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 12:33:55 PM »

No other stamps or marks on the motor or elsewhere that I can find, except the obvious factory stamped serial numbers.

I appreciate the feedback Red. We can conclude that the "2" doesn't have it, meaning either it was started after the "2", or it was not done by MoCo CVO, and we have no data on the "3".

I just wish we could get participation by another "4" owner to say if they have it or not. That would certainly help shift the scales one way or the other.

(BTW, its starting to feel like the "you & me" show in here!)

RedFXR2

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 02:29:37 PM »

I just wish we could get participation by another "4" owner to say if they have it or not. That would certainly help shift the scales one way or the other.

Heck, I wish we had more participation down here, period.  All the CVO FXR's.  I guess it's the relatively small production quantities coupled with passage of time, and the fact that the CVO has a different audience/focus more recently than in 1999 and 2000.

Hang in there, though. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 24 queries.