Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Rear end Noise  (Read 3087 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Rear end Noise
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 12:53:50 PM »

Yup it whines...can't tell what it is.

Miker

My old HD kinda sounds like a running washing machine with some bolts, sneakers and cats tossed in.
Glad to see the MoCo not messing with tradition.

Miker

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 04:46:23 PM »

Wayne's answer to all the pings, pongs, gurgles, whines, grinds that you may hear or think you may hear coming from your motorcycle.  Turn up the radio, keep on smiling and riding.  Until your bike quits gettin you there, there is nothing to worry about.  And by the time you may need to get to worrying, it is time to get a new bike anyway.   :bananarock: :huepfenjump3:  I really like riding with him. 

:znotworthy: Ah Shucks  :znotworthy:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 01:13:48 AM »

Just rode the crap out of it for over 3K miles, and over 4K total. I never heard any tire noise. Plenty of other BS problems, but no tire noise. These tires are great. The bike handled high speed, cornering and rain with flying colors. 2-up and loaded with luggage. The front end was a little light when all loaded up, but the Traxxion Front End took that away. The bike's set up perfect. I wouldn't get rid of these tires. They're the first Dunlops I've ever liked. Get some suspension work done and you'll have the best handling FL ever made. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 09:42:58 PM »

Just rode the crap out of it for over 3K miles, and over 4K total. I never heard any tire noise. Plenty of other BS problems, but no tire noise. These tires are great. The bike handled high speed, cornering and rain with flying colors. 2-up and loaded with luggage. The front end was a little light when all loaded up, but the Traxxion Front End took that away. The bike's set up perfect. I wouldn't get rid of these tires. They're the first Dunlops I've ever liked. Get some suspension work done and you'll have the best handling FL ever made. Hoist! 8) Thanks Hoist, Seems like I here the noise when I have the oversized shield on. i have the 440's 13 inch and will send in the front end this winter.  I only ride solo so not much weight. Did you change to a clearview shield? I would like to install a new one but not sure of the hieght I will need. Right now I like the windscreen around town but need sometheng for trips. i have to agree the bike is great and can't wait for the new front end. Thanks for all your help  Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 10:10:50 PM »

Hey Billy, I use the Clearview on a regular RK 5-hole frame. I got an 18", 1" over Clearview's standard 17" for a RK. It was a tad tall for me, but was great for cold and rain. I'm 5-9. If you're taller, the 18" should be perfect. That HD Mid-Low Windshield might be good right out of the box for you. I bought that and replaced it with the Clearview, but I'm not impressed with the Clearview. If I knew that then, I'd have just stuck with the HD Md-Low I got. That seemed fine as is! The bike makes some whistling noise, I think thru the windshield mounting hardware at certain speeds, but it's definitely not tires. Once you do the front forks, your bike will run like a champ! Get that done! I can't recommend that mod enough to everyone. It's one of the best things you can do to a FL! Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 09:36:07 PM »

Hey Billy, I use the Clearview on a regular RK 5-hole frame. I got an 18", 1" over Clearview's standard 17" for a RK. It was a tad tall for me, but was great for cold and rain. I'm 5-9. If you're taller, the 18" should be perfect. That HD Mid-Low Windshield might be good right out of the box for you. I bought that and replaced it with the Clearview, but I'm not impressed with the Clearview. If I knew that then, I'd have just stuck with the HD Md-Low I got. That seemed fine as is! The bike makes some whistling noise, I think thru the windshield mounting hardware at certain speeds, but it's definitely not tires. Once you do the front forks, your bike will run like a champ! Get that done! I can't recommend that mod enough to everyone. It's one of the best things you can do to a FL! Hoist! 8)
What is wrong with the clearview. does it throw the wind up alittle higher or not? Thanks Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 09:42:29 PM »

What is wrong with the clearview. does it throw the wind up alittle higher or not? Thanks Billy

I found the wind past the shield is no different with either shield. No better. No worse. It's only worse cause I spent extra money for it and expected an improvement. There was none. Don't believe everything you read on the internet! ;D Seriously Billy. I don't feel any difference. Maybe it's better on a fairing Bike. But save your $ instead of using it on the SERK! Hoist! 8)

$$fathead$

• CVO1: 07' FLHRKSE3
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007, 04:11:22 PM »

I got that same whine, on smooth pavement. In my opinion, it's the rear tire. Seems to be around 40 or 50 mph, but i only hear it on the new part of road they put down. I wonder if the temp of the pavement has anything to do with it?
Weather you think you can, or you can not, your right

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 02:42:07 PM »

I am guessing that the noise you are talking about is what we hillbilly's call "tire whine."  The normal sound tire tread makes on pavement.  Especially noticeable on deceleration.

I am almost certain you got this right. The whining is easiest to hear if you pull the clutch on a smooth road and let the bike "roll". I was very concerned, when I first heard it, but it seems to be no serious issue.

All the best, ride safe.

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2007, 10:39:02 AM »

Yep...
Always looking for that Jeep with Mickey Thompson Monster Mudders in my mirrors! 

Enjoy the ride!

Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 22 queries.