Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Rear end Noise  (Read 3091 times)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
Rear end Noise
« on: May 11, 2007, 08:34:14 PM »

i just had the bike in for service . I here a great deal of rear end noise similar to a truck tire. The dealer thinks maybe it is the tires. Does anyone else have this kind of noise. i can't believe it is the tires They have almost no tread on the ground. Help if you can. The Ellite 3's just don't seem to be the problem but The dealer can't find anymore problems. Thanks Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Rear end Noise
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 08:37:27 PM »

i just had the bike in for service . I here a great deal of rear end noise similar to a truck tire. The dealer thinks maybe it is the tires. Does anyone else have this kind of noise. i can't believe it is the tires They have almost no tread on the ground. Help if you can. The Ellite 3's just don't seem to be the problem but The dealer can't find anymore problems. Thanks Billy
If I'm reading this right it's time to buy a tire anyway. If the noise stops when you get a new tire then it probably was the tire.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 09:13:20 PM »

I don't think he means that the tire is worn down to little remaining tread, but rather that the tread design bears little resemblence to a typical 'singing' truck tire.
I've been hearing so many new sounds since I got the SERK that I don't know if any of them are cause for concern.
I seem to have a LOT of intermittent valve train clatter which is very variable depending on engine speed, load, throttle activity, etc., and I have a 'singing' type sound rearward which is most noticeable when slowing down to a stop and off the throttle. I figured it must be the belt drive as I've never lived with one before.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 09:23:09 PM »

I don't think he means that the tire is worn down to little remaining tread, but rather that the tread design bears little resemblence to a typical 'singing' truck tire.
I've been hearing so many new sounds since I got the SERK that I don't know if any of them are cause for concern.
I seem to have a LOT of intermittent valve train clatter which is very variable depending on engine speed, load, throttle activity, etc., and I have a 'singing' type sound rearward which is most noticeable when slowing down to a stop and off the throttle. I figured it must be the belt drive as I've never lived with one before.
Ahhh :idea2: Now I understand, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 09:47:28 PM »

Oh, not what I was thinking when I read the title. Nevermind.

Phghghghghghghgttttt......

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 11:00:51 PM »

I have been lucky enough to have most of the problems others have encountered, but this one is new to me, sorry, can't help on this one.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 02:20:33 PM »

Does anyone seem to feel that the Elite 3 are making any noise on there bike?        Thanks Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 09:48:24 PM »

Picked up the SERK today. they fixed the springs from hitting the cover. Put on 13 inch 440s  Nice But could not find why the rear wheel is making noise. Do you guys think I should make them replace the tire . Dealer says they hear the noise so I don't have to argue that point. I road the RK Classic for 4 days and the noise is not ther. Thanks Billy

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 12:16:43 AM »

Leoniru I believe that I have the dame noise as your hearing and it's drivinf me nuts trying to figure out where ir's origianting from.  >:(Have also noticed the rear tire noise , but only seems to be there on very smooth pavement , which is a rarity around here antway so I don't hear it too often. :-\

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 11:13:26 AM »

I am guessing that the noise you are talking about is what we hillbilly's call "tire whine."  The normal sound tire tread makes on pavement.  Especially noticeable on deceleration.  I noticed this more on my SERK than any other bike I have ever owned.  This is also my first set of elite 3 tires.  I don't think it is cause for much concern.  I have found that when I put the Rineharts on my bike, I didn't hear the noise any more.   :confused5:  Go figure.  You could try going with a different tire.  Different tread designs should result in different amounts of noise.

JMHO.

Later,
Ghost

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 11:19:22 AM »

I am guessing that the noise you are talking about is what we hillbilly's call "tire whine."  The normal sound tire tread makes on pavement.  Especially noticeable on deceleration.  I noticed this more on my SERK than any other bike I have ever owned.  This is also my first set of elite 3 tires.  I don't think it is cause for much concern.  I have found that when I put the Rineharts on my bike, I didn't hear the noise any more.   :confused5:  Go figure.  You could try going with a different tire.  Different tread designs should result in different amounts of noise.

JMHO.

Later,
Ghost
Wonder if it's because these are radial tires and wider in the rear, and that's what is causing the noise? May just be something that wasn't heard before with different compound of tire. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 02:03:05 PM »

Wonder if it's because these are radial tires and wider in the rear, and that's what is causing the noise? May just be something that wasn't heard before with different compound of tire. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I think it is probably all the above, Gary.  Like I said, when I got my SERK, the tire noise kinda threw me at first.  But I just figured the wider tire, and different design made the noise lounder than the old Dunlops, and the quiter stock exhaust made it easier to hear.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 02:05:41 PM »

If it is the tire (sound) as it wears it will growl louder as time goes on. Tha'ts why I'm glad to have a radio :)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 02:07:04 PM »

Yup it whines...can't tell what it is.

Miker

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 12:37:47 PM »

If it is the tire (sound) as it wears it will growl louder as time goes on. Tha'ts why I'm glad to have a radio :)

Wayne's answer to all the pings, pongs, gurgles, whines, grinds that you may hear or think you may hear coming from your motorcycle.  Turn up the radio, keep on smiling and riding.  Until your bike quits gettin you there, there is nothing to worry about.  And by the time you may need to get to worrying, it is time to get a new bike anyway.   :bananarock: :huepfenjump3:  I really like riding with him. 
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.