Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: What Kind of Heads on the '07 110" Engines?  (Read 31916 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
What Kind of Heads on the '07 110" Engines?
« on: June 03, 2007, 12:54:51 PM »

Hey gang. I stumbled on a question I can't get a straight answer on. What kind of heads are on these 110" engines? To use the SE Perfect Fit Pushrods, you need to know what heads and what cams you're using. They make 3 sizes for a SE 251 Cam. Standard length, +.030" and -.030". With the 251, catalog says standard length is for HTCC Heads. +.030" is for Stock Heads. And -.030" is for SE Performance Heads. I don't think we have HTCC Heads. That would seem to rule out standard length. But that's what was recommended. And there's a big difference between Stock Head and SE Perfornace Head pushrod length recommendation. How do we pick these pushrods correctly for the 110"? Anyone have a clue?

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: What Kind of Heads on the '07 110" Engines?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 01:02:05 PM »

Howie,
You don't happen to have the parts catalog for your bike that you could get a P/N out of do you?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 01:02:48 PM »

No Clue, but I would put the adjustables in it and be done with it.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 01:16:55 PM »

Howie,
You don't happen to have the parts catalog for your bike that you could get a P/N out of do you?

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

The Stock 110" Cylinder Heads, w/seats and guides, P/N is 17253-07 for the Front and 17257-07 for the Rear. These heads are new, and made for this engine, I assume.
The stock pushrods are 17922-99 for Exhaust, 10.536" long (black oxide finish) and 17923-99 for Intake, 10.418" long (plain finish).
Does any of this help?

I'd prefer to use the correct length fixed pushrod over the adjustable. They're more reliable, as long as you pick the correct sze fixed-length pushrod. Heard too many bad stories of loosening adjusters and bent valves over the years.

Thanks, Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 01:29:21 PM »

Howie,
Just surfed the internet some w/those P/N's and not getting any information. Sorry. :(

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 01:33:15 PM »

Howie,
Just surfed the internet some w/those P/N's and not getting any information. Sorry. :(

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Thanks for trying d00d! Maybe some of our insider gurus can find out. Seems to be a secret so far. Don't think anyone's asked about this yet. Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 01:34:48 PM »

The stock pushrods are 17922-99 for Exhaust, 10.536" long (black oxide finish) and 17923-99 for Intake, 10.418" long (plain finish).

Directly no.  But indirectly you can get home from there.  Have the shop compare the -99 part numbers against the options you're faced with (unless they don't stock all the options).

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 02:42:08 PM »

The stock 110 pushrods are the same as the other OE Twin Cam engines. As far as pushrod length is concerned the 110 application is the same as the other OE Twin Cams.

djkak

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 03:01:54 PM »

I think if you polled folks who work on bikes like our own hd-dude you'd find most would recommend adjustable pushrods. In all my years of running HiPo motors I've only had one set of adjustable pushrods let me down and that was because a blown head gasket let the head move enough that the rod got loose etc etc. Lesson learned there was to keep the compression at no more than 10.5/1  Anyway, go with the adjustables.

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 07:13:30 PM »

looks simular too the 103 plus head,valve size the same

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 09:51:37 PM »

Hey gang. I stumbled on a question I can't get a straight answer on. What kind of heads are on these 110" engines? To use the SE Perfect Fit Pushrods, you need to know what heads and what cams you're using. They make 3 sizes for a SE 251 Cam. Standard length, +.030" and -.030". With the 251, catalog says standard length is for HTCC Heads. +.030" is for Stock Heads. And -.030" is for SE Performance Heads. I don't think we have HTCC Heads. That would seem to rule out standard length. But that's what was recommended. And there's a big difference between Stock Head and SE Perfornace Head pushrod length recommendation. How do we pick these pushrods correctly for the 110"? Anyone have a clue?

Hoist! 8)
The Stock 110" Cylinder Heads, w/seats and guides, P/N is 17253-07 for the Front and 17257-07 for the Rear. These heads are new, and made for this engine, I assume.
The stock pushrods are 17922-99 for Exhaust, 10.536" long (black oxide finish) and 17923-99 for Intake, 10.418" long (plain finish).Does any of this help?

I'd prefer to use the correct length fixed pushrod over the adjustable. They're more reliable, as long as you pick the correct sze fixed-length pushrod. Heard too many bad stories of loosening adjusters and bent valves over the years.

Thanks, Hoist! 8)
Howie,

There is another way to approach this.  Have the dealer compare the base circle diameter of the 251 cams to the stock 255 cams.  If the base circle diameter is the same, the stock length pushrods will work.  BTW, the -99 suffix on those pushrod part numbers indicate that the part hasn't changed since 1999, well before any of the CVO heads came into being. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 01:04:36 AM »

The stock 110 pushrods are the same as the other OE Twin Cam engines. As far as pushrod length is concerned the 110 application is the same as the other OE Twin Cams.

djkak

Hey dj, how are you these days? Thanks for the info. This means you'd need the +.030" Perfect Fit Pushrods (18401-03) for the SE 251's used with stock heads, according to the Parts Book. Any reason to assume that might not be right for 110 Heads? I assume stock pushrods don't work with the SE Performance Heads, and the 110 Heads would be like stock measurements then. Can that parts book be counted on for this? It's a completely stock engine, just cam and pushrod change is all. Thanks again.

Thanks Jerry, if we're sure of the head, it should be easy to pick it. But not much seems to be known about these heads. I find that interesting. We seem to find out about everything here. Hmmm, 110" Heads are still a mystery! ;D Maybe I should have them measure.

Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 01:40:52 AM »

Hey dj, how are you these days? Thanks for the info. This means you'd need the +.030" Perfect Fit Pushrods (18401-03) for the SE 251's used with stock heads, according to the Parts Book. Any reason to assume that might not be right for 110 Heads? I assume stock pushrods don't work with the SE Performance Heads, and the 110 Heads would be like stock measurements then. Can that parts book be counted on for this? It's a completely stock engine, just cam and pushrod change is all. Thanks again.

Thanks Jerry, if we're sure of the head, it should be easy to pick it. But not much seems to be known about these heads. I find that interesting. We seem to find out about everything here. Hmmm, 110" Heads are still a mystery! ;D Maybe I should have them measure.

Hoist! 8)

Howie, the head stays the same in your case here.  So it's really irrelevant to the question at hand if you know the difference in the cams.  Larger circle on the cam lobe compared to stock cams, shorter push rods.  Same O.D., same push rods. 

They're giving you specs relative to the cam because for the cam specs it's the known quantity and they are bringing that known quantity to various environments.  In your case, however, the heads stay the same.  The variable is the diameter of the cam circle on your new cams.  So even though they are specifying pushrod length relative to the head as a variable you don't have to.  Have them lay a mic across the cam lobes on each cam and you'll know which pushrods to go with.

Unless you use adjustables and forget the entire question.....  :huepfenlol2:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 01:52:52 AM »

Howie, the head stays the same in your case here.  So it's really irrelevant to the question at hand if you know the difference in the cams.  Larger circle on the cam lobe compared to stock cams, shorter push rods.  Same O.D., same push rods. 

They're giving you specs relative to the cam because for the cam specs it's the known quantity and they are bringing that known quantity to various environments.  In your case, however, the heads stay the same.  The variable is the diameter of the cam circle on your new cams.  So even though they are specifying pushrod length relative to the head as a variable you don't have to.  Have them lay a mic across the cam lobes on each cam and you'll know which pushrods to go with.

Unless you use adjustables and forget the entire question.....  :huepfenlol2:

This is what originally led me to question it. I would have thought that the 251's .579 lift would use shorter pushrods than the stock 255's 550 lift. What am I missing here? Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 02:19:02 AM »

This is what originally led me to question it. I would have thought that the 251's .579 lift would use shorter pushrods than the stock 255's 550 lift. What am I missing here? Hoist! 8)

Don't thing you're missing anything.  It's just that the dealership isn't thinking through the question any further than the written words in front of them.  They read something (and passed it on) that said "with this cam if such and such a head is used you need such and such a pushrod."  They just didn't bother to (or weren't able to) think the problem through from any other angle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.