Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Cigar  (Read 25703 times)

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
Re: Cigar
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2007, 08:19:28 PM »

You really need a humidor...but you can make one yourself.  Get a plastic container either a 6 pack cooler, or tupperware or something...then get a small one about the size of a tuna can.  Get a sponge without extra chit in it and then buy some distilled water.  Cut the sponge place in the small container pour water in and set in the larger container place cigars in there...done.  Open to refresh the air every couple of days should be around 70% humidity and 70 degrees.  What ever you do...NO REFRIGERATORS.  Cold air loses its humidity.  The wrapper inside the metal tube is spanish cedar it helps the cigar age.  You can take it out and line your homemade humidor after you use it and it does the same job.  Another way to make a humidor is double ziplock bags one big and one small paper towel and distilled water...same concept only keep the small one open or poke holes to approx 70% humidity...make sure your smokes are firm but moist.

Seegarz

Hey Ed,

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: that is what I meant int he second half :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2007, 09:17:21 PM »

Hey Ed,

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: that is what I meant int he second half :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

OOPS!! My mistake!! :confused5:  Now I'm reading too fast! :stars:
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2007, 09:19:19 PM »

Yep before I bought a travel humidor that was my humidor of choice...cheap and you can throw them away when done.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2007, 09:29:37 PM »

I have been working on my Monte Cristo Sampler pack and lovin them although one was too big round even though it was the shortest. I got a cutter, so now i can enjoy a clean cut end, any tips on cutting? I also got a few Punch, Padron and a Macanudo sampler pack. So far the Monte Cristo's are my favorite, the Punch wasn't bad, I am looking forward to the padron and macanudo's this weekend.  :)
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2007, 09:44:46 PM »

Fuente short story and only when I am sitting on my pier after the sun sets on the Cisco Chain of Lakes in the upper peninsula of Michigan. :drink: :pumpkin: :orange:
hdnut

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2007, 10:38:50 PM »

Cigars are lot like the our bikes, its what you like that counts.....I just finished a Padron 64 anny torpedo, wonderful smoke, draw, burn and strong enough to stand up to a bourbon.

On a perfect riding day, smal ring gauge ( width)  milds I like after breakfast, like a Ashton Cabinet or Perdomo Champagne....Later in day ( if it the right kind of day) A Padilla or Aston ASG, stronger. A factor I still am workin through is what smokes well in the saddle, to be continued( so far it is thr padron pricipe. In the evening, after Scrimps n Grits, alittle sour mash and a strong Padron maduro, but like beer a free smoke is always purty damn good too. Peace

Miker

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2007, 12:03:48 AM »

Can one of you experts do a quick run down on sizes and the terms? What's up with these huge suckers? Do you smoke just half or something? How much do you cut the end - is it diff with the pointy ones?

...This looks age old past time seems a lil hi-tech :)
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2007, 12:52:16 AM »

Sizes and names have changed with the times the thing that hasn't changed is ring gauge and length.  You can figure out length on your own.  Ring gauge is a bit different...they fractions of an inch with a 64 being an inch in diameter.  The names of the sizes are kinda relative but panatellas are usually 6" or less with a small ring gauge 38 ish.  Robustos are usually short 5" with a fatter ring gauge around 50.  Toros are a bit longer with the same gauge as a robusto, then we have Churchills named for...you guessed it.  They are a longer smoke usu 7-7.5 but are 38-40s in gauge.  They have made double Churchills now too and they are thicker.  There are gordos which means fat in spanish so use the length and gauge to tell you.  There are also some funky shapes, torpedos which are like the cartoon with small ends on both sides.  There are figurados which have a point on one end and open on the other.  I personally like figurados the best, but it is a personal choice.  When you cut a cigar you can use a punch, guillotine or scissor cutters (I personally would avoid using Gods cutters unless no other choice) razor blades can work but be careful.  When you cut a cigar with either a scissor cutter (difficult to get used to) or a guillotine aim for the shoulder.  The part where the wrapper rounds toward the end (cap), should only be maybe an eighth of an inch no more.  A punch needs only to puncture the cap (outer layer of tobacco) because if you go to deep and you like to keep it in your mouth it will have issues.  If you are interested in a guillotine (my choice) opt for a double guillotine...my favorite cutter is the Zino Davidoff double guillotine.  A double guillotine has blades on both sides which don't pinch the cigar and usually have a sort of self sharpening property.  I can go on and on but I will stop there for now.

Here is some information from the web:

Cutting

The closed end (or head) of a cigar is the end that you put into your mouth, but you have to cut it, first. When a cigar is hand rolled, a cap is put on the head of the cigar to keep it from unraveling and drying out. A cigar should not be cut until you are ready to smoke. There are three styles of cuts, and several types of cutters, but the straight cut made with a guillotine cutter is the most common. Hold the cigar with one hand and the guillotine with the other, then insert the head of the cigar into the guillotine and cut into the cap, usually about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch down. If the head of the cigar is shaped like a cone, then cut into the cone, but not quite at the widest part. In any case, do not cut into the body of the cigar. That would cause the wrapper to unravel, and ruin your smoking experience.
No Cigar Cutter?
The most primitive way of cutting the head of a cigar with absolutely no tools is to bite it with your teeth. This is a last resort, and should never be done with an expensive premium cigar, as the cigar is much more valuable than a basic cutter. Biting a cigar, or otherwise cutting it improperly, will cause the wrapper to unravel, and could even damage the binder and filler tobacco inside. If available, use a sharp knife and a cutting board, or a pair of sharp scissors. You can also use a pen or pencil to punch a hole in the cap. If the cigar costs more than $5, do not cut it until you have a cigar cutter. It will be worth the wait.

How to Light a Cigar
After being cut, the cigar is now ready for lighting. Butane lighters or wooden matches are recommended. It is important not to introduce chemicals or other flavors or substances into the cigar as it is being lit (never use a scented candle). There are many types of lighters on the market, but butane torch lighters work the best outdoors, especially on a breezy day.
Puff and Rotate
Light your lighter with one hand, then grip your cigar around the band (or about an inch or two from the head) using your thumb, index finger, middle finger, and ring finger (if necessary), and place in your mouth. Position the end of your cigar just above the top of the flame, being careful not to let the cigar actually touch the flame. Begin puffing on the cigar, then slowly begin to rotate the cigar while continuing to puff.

Seegarz

Seegarsmkr

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2007, 02:39:28 PM »

Thanks, Ed...I know a bit about Pipes and Tobacco, but know as much about Cigars as a cat knows about a shotgun...I will check out the Monte Cristos.  I'm trying to get off the cigarettes, and back on the pipe/cigars, as I do not inhale that smoke.  I've always enjoyed the pipe, but have been a "closet" pipe smoker since I was in my teens.  Now I figure I'm old and gray enough to be able to get away with it out in public. ;) ;)

Terry,

If you are into pipes then you will probably enjoy a flavored cigar like The Acid Blondie by Drew Estates. Great smell and very flavorful. Lots of "hard core" smokers bash the Drew Estates Line, but I enjoy the change every now and then from a "regular" cigar.

http://www.bonitasmokeshop.com/Acid%20Cigars.htm

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2007, 11:56:27 PM »

Just rolling back into Beaufort!
We had a great afternoon. We were in Statesville, NC & stopped by both Tilly's HD & JR's! Picked up some of my favorite smokes: El Rey del Mundo Rectangular Maduro.

AJ

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2007, 03:30:16 AM »

Terry,

If you are into pipes then you will probably enjoy a flavored cigar like The Acid Blondie by Drew Estates. Great smell and very flavorful. Lots of "hard core" smokers bash the Drew Estates Line, but I enjoy the change every now and then from a "regular" cigar.

http://www.bonitasmokeshop.com/Acid%20Cigars.htm

Of the flavor'ds I like the CAO Moontrance but all of the CAO flavoreds are pretty good.

Seegarz

Seegarsmkr

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2007, 11:36:42 AM »

I went by a Cigar boutique  ;) yesterday and picked up a couple of different varieties they recommended, and went by the Pipe/Cigar/Tobacco place here in town and picked up a tin of Cohiba (sp?).  Will be giving a couple of these a try this weekend.  These will be nice for those times the pipe is just not doable...I still like my pipe though... :2vrolijk_21:  Just picked up a deal on an Ardor hand made Italian, pipe....wow!!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2007, 01:52:17 PM »

I went by a Cigar boutique  ;) yesterday and picked up a couple of different varieties they recommended, and went by the Pipe/Cigar/Tobacco place here in town and picked up a tin of Cohiba (sp?).  Will be giving a couple of these a try this weekend.  These will be nice for those times the pipe is just not doable...I still like my pipe though... :2vrolijk_21:  Just picked up a deal on an Ardor hand made Italian, pipe....wow!!!

Is anyone else getting this vision of Terry sitting by the fire in his leather chair, sporting the ascot, smoking jacket, and Hefner silk PJs.  Puffing on his pipe and sipping brandy? :coolblue:  More importantly, why am I getting that vision???   :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2007, 01:57:41 PM »

Is anyone else getting this vision of Terry sitting by the fire in his leather chair, sporting the ascot, smoking jacket, and Hefner silk PJs.  Puffing on his pipe and sipping brandy? :coolblue:  More importantly, why am I getting that vision???   :nixweiss:

You can build that vision Travis.  Even include the full sized Greyhound dog luxuriatingly stretched out on the rug next to the overstuffed leather chair.  But it all goes suddenly and shatteringly to hell when that damn bird starts squawking and cussing from the back room!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2007, 02:59:56 PM »

OK...I have to admit, I've got the overstuffed Burgundy leather chair...I might even admit to having a pair of silk pj's. And I've got the Regal 90 lb Greyhound... Substitute the Brandy for a Premium chilled Tequila with a good beer chaser.  I've never had a jacket just for smokin', but I'm open to new things.  The Ascot...nope, nada, no way jose.

Travis...I have NO idea why you're getting these visions.  What have YOU been smokin'...when I smoke that chit, I usually ended up naked at some point.... :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Page created in 5.294 seconds with 21 queries.