Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Head Gasket Oil Leak  (Read 9260 times)

Rides2007Harley

Head Gasket Oil Leak
« on: September 09, 2007, 11:09:59 AM »

In the "General CVO" thread along with some others it is very obvious that many of the Ultra and Road King SE's have had problems with oil leaks on the rear cylinder.

I have done some research and have not found a single case where a Dyna has leaked.  I also own a stock 05 Ultra so I am not piling on mileage for this bike.  I bought it 6/15 and currently have about 1900 miles on it with no leaks of any kind.

Has anybody with a FSDSE had this problem?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Head Gasket Oil Leak
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 11:18:10 AM »

In the "General CVO" thread along with some others it is very obvious that many of the Ultra and Road King SE's have had problems with oil leaks on the rear cylinder.

I have done some research and have not found a single case where a Dyna has leaked.  I also own a stock 05 Ultra so I am not piling on mileage for this bike.  I bought it 6/15 and currently have about 1900 miles on it with no leaks of any kind.

Check again! I remember at least 1 Dyna with a seized motor while he was riding it. He got thrown from the bike and got hurt. He needed a new engine. Don't for a minute think the Dyna motor's any different. Sorry to burst your bubble of hope. Bottom line, from top to bottom, these 110's are pieces of chit. They should be ashamed of themselves for doing this to us. We should be ashamed for letting them. That day ended for me yesterday! >:(

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 11:21:47 AM »

The leaks do not typically show themselves until the bike has 3-5K on it.  There might be a correlation between how many miles are typically put on a Dyna as opposed to RK's and Ultras.  A few have had no problems...hope that you are one of them!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 11:49:02 AM »

Bottom line, from top to bottom, these 110's are pieces of chit. They should be ashamed of themselves for doing this to us. We should be ashamed for letting them. That day ended for me yesterday! >:(

Hoist! 8)

I remember a few months ago I made that exact same statement and you scolded me for saying it...Glad you finally came around to my way of thinking... ;)  Sorry about your recent motor troubles...I know you put your heart and soul into it. :-[
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 02:50:52 PM »

It's almost certainly not a good statistical cohort.  For whatever reason there's just a lot more riders of touring bikes more active on the board and more touring bikes themselves represented.  So that's what he were more about. 

I can remember a Dyna that ate itself and threw its owner.  Other non-touring models with the leaks or other problems also.  In one of those "any news that's not actually terrible is good" kind of ways it'd be nice to think that only the touring riders have got 110 problems.  Unfortunately, however, it's very unlikely that this is the case.

Rides2007Harley

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 08:16:16 AM »

Check again! I remember at least 1 Dyna with a seized motor while he was riding it. He got thrown from the bike and got hurt. He needed a new engine. Don't for a minute think the Dyna motor's any different. Sorry to burst your bubble of hope. Bottom line, from top to bottom, these 110's are pieces of chit. They should be ashamed of themselves for doing this to us. We should be ashamed for letting them. That day ended for me yesterday! >:(

Hoist! 8)

I don't remember reading about the one that seized.  That is why I posted in this area because it must be due to the mileage that the Ultra and RK riders are putting on.

I honestly have no had any issues but my bike only has 2K miles.  My motor is quiet and my transmission is much smoother than my 05 Ultra.  Knock on wood, hope it continues.

For you Dyna owners, would you please post your current mileage and let us know if you have had problems and just as importantly NO PROBLEMS.

sblade1948

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 08:43:44 AM »

My Dyns is leaking, rear cylinder. In the shop now for repairs. Not sure when it started. Have 13000 mi so far.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 09:11:33 AM »

My Dyns is leaking, rear cylinder. In the shop now for repairs. Not sure when it started. Have 13000 mi so far.

sblade,

sorry to hear you've joined the club. There aren't a lot of non bagger bikes leaking, so I think it's important you call into HD Cust Service to open a ticket. We are trying to keep this issue in the forefront by continually squeaking to get some grease.

Here's a link to the thread where you can add your information.

HD Cust Serv Call Campaign

All of the information you need is there.

Good luck in getting your scooter fixed quickly.

:indian_chief:

sblade1948

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 09:31:38 AM »

Thanks, my dealer is working real well with me. Bike is in a lot of pieces right now. H-D sent new crank, vibe issue also. Hope to be riding this weekend.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 09:44:27 AM »

Thanks, my dealer is working real well with me. Bike is in a lot of pieces right now. H-D sent new crank, vibe issue also. Hope to be riding this weekend.

That's interesting that you're getting a new crank for a leaky head gasket. Is there more to it than just a leaky HG? This is the first I've heard of new cranks. Every other one I've heard about, HD did not want the dealer inside the motor and they just swapped it out total.

It sounds like there's a lot more going on than just a leaky head gasket.

:indian_chief:

fxdsegrl

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE - Sold :(
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 10:59:49 AM »

For you Dyna owners, would you please post your current mileage and let us know if you have had problems and just as importantly NO PROBLEMS.

I have almost 8,000 miles on my bike with (knock on wood) no problems.  The bike has been great and I have had no issues with anything.  I am still loving it!   ;D

sblade1948

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 11:17:38 AM »

Yes you're right I was having vibration issues also.

Jacktrician69

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 04:32:12 PM »

No motor problems at all yet !!   I'm just rounding 5K  :2vrolijk_21:  so far so good...quiet, strong, and fast  :cucumber:  oh yes my pickle is happy so far !!

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 01:17:08 PM »

I have been lucky so far, just at 5,235 miles with no leaks or other issues. Always keeping my ears perked and my eyes riveted...it'd be nice to just ride without the worries...
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

Andrea O

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 11:21:35 AM »

I have 6400 miles on my bike.  I was just cleaning it and noticed oil below the V twin and between the fins....

Service opens in a hour at HD taking my bike .........

sblade1948

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 08:14:29 PM »

I got mine back last week. Was in for 6 weeks. Basically have new motor. Only parts from old motor are oil pump and primary side and tranny. Went with new case's, forged crank, 113 pistons, cyl's,CNC Heads, 50 mm TB,am running on breakin map till Tues. Problem is still have vibration issue. Can this be caused by the only parts I didn't replace ?. Motor seems to run strong 1st & 2nd will pull front wheel at little over half throttle lf you hit it quickly. Any input would be welcome.

hdchic07

• '07 Dyna Street Bob
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 12:44:30 PM »

I was looking at the pic and noticed that one head has cnc ported and other has screamin eagle on it. Was wondering why both weren't changed?     
If you don't take that risk, how will you ever know?

sblade1948

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 07:56:49 PM »

Both were that's just HD

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 09:55:36 PM »

Both were that's just HD

huh??  What do you mean????
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sblade1948

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 07:16:03 AM »

Both heads are the CNC Ported Harley just puts the CNC on front head , Screaming Eagle on rear head.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 11:13:07 AM »

Both heads are the CNC Ported Harley just puts the CNC on front head , Screaming Eagle on rear head.

I've seen that before on a bike and wondered about it...thanks for clearing that up.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Andrea O

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 06:19:39 PM »

My oil was indeed leaking.  They changed out the gaskets and o rings.  It took 6 days to get it back.  Have driven 500 miles or so since then ....hopefully no more leaks.

Rides2007Harley

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 06:00:16 PM »

My oil was indeed leaking.  They changed out the gaskets and o rings.  It took 6 days to get it back.  Have driven 500 miles or so since then ....hopefully no more leaks.

Sorry to hear that.

fxdsebeloved

• Full CVO Member
  • Four Wheels Move The Body Two Wheels Move The Soul

• CVO1: (Beloved) 2007 FXDSE Silver Rush/Midnight Black
    • alcohaulinasss
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 02:35:07 PM »

Just an FYI Nov 22nd 2007

07 FXDSE 5,200 miles and a leaky Rear Cylinder... >:( HD replaced both front and rear cylinders, both head gaskets, "O" Rings and piston rings.....  :'( going in this Saturday to the dealer that I bought the bike from to talk about them checking the "crank-runout" so I don't hit the pavement :soapbox:
Member # 1786
If you live in the past
You will have no future

magnum

• CVO1: cvo
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 10:47:01 AM »

i have almost 7k and no issues yet but keeping eye out for oil leaks at head due to all i have been readn about and i bang gears hard .the bike will pull the wheel in 2nd at about 5 grand shift. sorry i dont have pics yet still tryn.if ya want to see it personally i would be glad to send ya on an email have alot
magnum done it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2008, 12:01:24 PM »

huh??  What do you mean????

It's that same set of heads I've got Scott.  That's how HD badges them.  The rear head has the nice script.  They're apparently so damned proud of the fact that the heads get finished porting on a CNC machine that put a cheap-ass little plastic badge on the front head advising of that fact.  With fairing lowers and air cleaner on you don't really notice it on mine though.  Thank god....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2008, 12:03:59 PM »

i have almost 7k and no issues yet but keeping eye out for oil leaks at head due to all i have been readn about and i bang gears hard .the bike will pull the wheel in 2nd at about 5 grand shift. sorry i dont have pics yet still tryn.if ya want to see it personally i would be glad to send ya on an email have alot

:oops:   Read that and saw the username and thought Steve had sneaked out and bought a Harley.  Scared me for a minute :o .   Got the backwards username forwards for a minute and was just soooooo confused.

dexterharley

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2008, 02:46:43 PM »

3200 miles noticed a leak at the seam of the case behind the rear jug. Took the bike in to have it looked at. Dealer (Destination Harley Tacoma) Contacted the motor co as to whether to break the engine down and replace the gasket , or clean it up , check torque on case bolts and run the bike with some dye in the case to see if the leak continues. They went with the dye route.
I had been wanting new pipes and probably against my better judgement decided to have the  that work done at the same time. New BR 2-1, Sert, and heavy breather installed.  94.5 hp, 117.5 torque on the dyno.
In the words of sblade, I hope it all stays together...................

fxdse

• Live to Ride
    • Live to Ride
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 06:01:55 PM »

Well, It finally happened. The dreaded rear head gasket leak. Small but none the less. I brought it to my dealership and they replace both front and rear gaskets along with grinding out the rockerboxes for clearance. I didn't even mention the latter .... they said since both heads were off it was a common problem with the 110's and they just did it.

The bottom line is I love my bike, the performance is great and they seam willing to fix what is wrong. I hope this is the end but if not ..... back it will go.

dexterharley

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 07:12:42 PM »

Most of the posts I have read have lead me to believe that the problem may be from inadequate cooling.
The leaks always seem to start at the rear jug where there would be a lot less airflow, and being that the 110's tend to run a lot hotter than the standard motors, Is it possible that with an oil cooler a lot of us wouldn't be having these problems? Or am I way off-base?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 07:15:32 PM »

Most of the posts I have read have lead me to believe that the problem may be from inadequate cooling.
The leaks always seem to start at the rear jug where there would be a lot less airflow, and being that the 110's tend to run a lot hotter than the standard motors, Is it possible that with an oil cooler a lot of us wouldn't be having these problems? Or am I way off-base?

The SEUC's come with an oil cooler stock...  Hasn't seemed to matter...   ???
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 07:39:16 PM »

I don't believe it's inadequate cooling at all. I believe it's inferior design and execution of the stock 110 cylinders and head gaskets. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 21 queries.