Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32

Author Topic: Enough is Enough 2010-2011 (another Winter arrives)  (Read 23274 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Enough is Enough 2007-08 (Snow Blower Needed)
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2007, 10:11:30 AM »

? ? ? why would you think that?  More like the freezer.  :rifle:
Probably because I've seen some pictures of your trophy room. :nixweiss: ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2007, 10:21:20 AM »

maybe they were hoping to see the infamous Roger Jobs slip and have a snow blower accident
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2007, 10:24:39 AM »

Roger

It looks like you are leaving a lot on the driveway, are you using the "ground scrape" position?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2007, 10:25:42 AM »

maybe they were hoping to see the infamous Roger Jobs slip and have a snow blower accident

Most likely the case, I did have a cousin in the cooler in the back of the truck, having just picked up my venison from the butcher.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2007, 10:30:06 AM »

Roger

It looks like you are leaving a lot on the driveway, are you using the "ground scrape" position?

There were a couple of subs that got there before the contractor and they drove on the earlier snow and packed it hard about two to three inches.

I do need to drop it one more position though.

Late on Sunday the neighbor came by again with his Kubota and he'd attached his blower, he took it to grade with that.  Problem is it continued to snow and the subs are back this week.  It may solve itself for the time being though, Freezing level is up to 6000 feet and will remain high for at least a few days.  Subs are supposed to be done this week and then I can get on top of it and keep it cleared properly.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2007, 04:05:09 PM »

I do need to drop it one more position though.

3 positions, "travel", what I call "light" (allows the blower to work on grass and stones) and "Clear". This last one forces the front of the blower into the ground, it will actually raise the leading edge of the tracks a bit. Depending on where you have your scraper bar, this position will almost leave clean blacktop showing. It will thin it out enough to let the sun takeover.

There are industrial grades shoes available for the auger housing, most likely your supplier did not offer these to you.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/honda_snow_ss.cfm

I have been buying parts for years from the above website.

And if your dealer didn't give extra shear pins, I would order some spares, before you break them.
You could break one pin and barely notice the blower is not quite working right. It will still move mountains of snow with half an auger turning.

MV 2013

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2007, 04:10:47 PM »

3 positions, "travel", what I call "light" (allows the blower to work on grass and stones) and "Clear". This last one forces the front of the blower into the ground, it will actually raise the leading edge of the tracks a bit. Depending on where you have your scraper bar, this position will almost leave clean blacktop showing. It will thin it out enough to let the sun takeover.

There are industrial grades shoes available for the auger housing, most likely your supplier did not offer these to you.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/honda_snow_ss.cfm

I have been buying parts for years from the above website.

And if your dealer didn't give extra shear pins, I would order some spares, before you break them.
You could break one pin and barely notice the blower is not quite working right. It will still move mountains of snow with half an auger turning.

My contractor broke a pin this AM.  I already have some additional to the original supply coming.

I'll check into the shoes and I really appreciate the info :2vrolijk_21:

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
  • Non Riding for the moment!!
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2007, 08:08:29 PM »

Sounds like you are doing alot to that new honda just to do the job!! I have had the Husqvarna for two seasons, this being the third, I have done nothing to it but put gas in it!! It already came with ice teeth on it and scrapes all the way down nicely!!
 Not tring to be sarcastic, but I tried the Honda and it didn't scrape very well nor did it like wet snow either!!

If it is doing what you wanted, thats great, but it does look like you definitly need something bigger!! :nixweiss:

Later,
                                                                                                MIKE :vrolijk_10:

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2007, 08:28:24 PM »

Sounds like you are doing alot to that new honda just to do the job!! I have had the Husqvarna for two seasons, this being the third, I have done nothing to it but put gas in it!! It already came with ice teeth on it and scrapes all the way down nicely!!
 Not tring to be sarcastic, but I tried the Honda and it didn't scrape very well nor did it like wet snow either!!

If it is doing what you wanted, thats great, but it does look like you definitly need something bigger!! :nixweiss:

Later,
                                                                                                MIKE :vrolijk_10:

I think it's the nut behind the wheel right now.  I'll know if it was a good purchase in a few more weeks and snow storms.

The snow today was totally saturated as it has rained all day and it threw it without a problem today.  Also, once the driveway is truly a one family driveway I think I won't have a problem with the scraping.  In areas this weekend that had not had the truck traffic it scraped to nearly the pavement on the first pass and it is currently at the mid level setting.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2007, 08:37:33 PM »

but I tried the Honda and it didn't scrape very well nor did it like wet snow either!!

Roger has a 32" cut, that is pretty big as far as residential snow blowers go. Mine is the 28" version and that is big enough for me. I only sheared the pins that came with the blower, never the replacements. I don't think running into a stainless steel dog dish helped though (the dog dish lost)

The auger is an ice cutter, just chugs away a snow plow snow too, and wet snow was never a problem. Wet snow can choke any snow blower if you try an move too much at a time.

If you tried a Honda and it didn't go far enough maybe the scraper needed to be adjusted,

You are not going to convince Roger the the Honda is bad. You wouldn't be able to convince me either.
Yes it is expensive but you get what you pay for. I am pleased with mine.
Only change I might do if I had to do it again (not likely, though) is to go to a wheeled version. My driveway is concrete and not smooth at all. This causes the unit to "grab" as I use it, because the auger housing is being pushed in to the ground.

Someone made I comment about the tracks not working on ice. Tires don't work on ice either, unless you have chains.

One of the neatest features is speed control. Because of the hydrostatic drive speed if infinitely variable from zero to top speed. Makes it very easy to match the speed to conditions.

The worse feature though is making a u-turn.

MV 2013

46knuck

• LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2007, 01:11:28 PM »

These pic's sure remind me of years ago in Spokane. Down here in central Calif area we have only had 0.39 inch of rain since June. Talk about dry. I had to run the sprinklers again yesterday.
2003 Heritage softail
2003 Deuce  SE
1946 Indian Chief
2000 Dyna low rider  (wife)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2007, 02:28:54 PM »

These pic's sure remind me of years ago in Spokane. Down here in central Calif area we have only had 0.39 inch of rain since June. Talk about dry. I had to run the sprinklers again yesterday.

7 + inches on Tuesday in Bremerton and over 12" in two days, all of that coming on the heels of 8" of snow the two days before that along with a temperature rise to a tropical 60 degrees.  Can you say FLOODING.  I 5 is under 8 feet of water in Centralia and closed Tuesday afternoon through tomorrow and into Friday they are saying now.

Sure be nice to be able to direct the weather gods to where they are needed.  So Cal, Atlanta et al. :-\
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 09:24:06 AM by Rjob749 »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2007, 09:26:18 AM »

I located a surplus blower, maybe I could clear the driveway with this and start a side business :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2007, 10:34:19 AM »

I'm sure it would make fast work of your driveway, but I sure hope you don't get enough snow up there to warrant the side business. 

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2007, 10:55:26 AM »

I'm sure it would make fast work of your driveway, but I sure hope you don't get enough snow up there to warrant the side business. 

I doubt that I would get into the snow removal business, but many others are.  Snow removal is a good side job for folks.  Many weekend homes and the owners aren't there to stay on top of the job.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.