Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Why 88 Year olds shouldnt be driving  (Read 6149 times)

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
Why 88 Year olds shouldnt be driving
« on: December 11, 2008, 10:04:49 PM »

I am new to this site, found it with all the free time I now have from my accident.  I guess alittle about me first would be nice, 35 yrs old live near the Amish land in PA.  Own a 06 SEFB.  It was my divorce present to myself, had an 01 Fatboy but the ex hated it so I sold it.  I had close to 15k on the clock at the time of the accident.  I love this bike felt it was made for me.  Anyways I had just got done riding back from my girlfriends house who lives in New Jersey 120 miles away to be exact.  It was an unusual day for May almost 85 degrees so I wanted to go for a quick ride before I went to work.  I driving along coming up to a big intersection when as soon as I cross the white line you are to stop at a 88 yr old man in a full size Chevy pulls right in my lane and stops.  I was going about 50 mph.  This is a 6 lane intersection,  I was in the hammer lane had cars to the right of me couldnt go that way and had traffic coming towards me.  He was coming towards me turning left.  Needless to say I didnt have much time or many options.  I tried to go around him.  Didnt work.  I hit the corner of his bumper with my leg right below my knee.  6 more inches and I would of cleared him.  I flew off the bike 90 ft through the air, my bike went 150 ft without me.  I actually thought I was ok once I stopped rolling around till I looked at my right leg.  My tibia was sticking out through my jeans and blood was pouring out.  When my tibia came out it tore the main artery that runs down the leg. I was screamin at this point thought for sure I was going to bleed to death on the road.  Within seconds the double yellow line was covered with my blood.  It was like a hose.  I heard a lady yelling at the 911 operator saying to get there as fast as possible or they were going to have a dead man on the road.  She proceeded to come over and put her hands NO gloves on and hold my leg to try to control the bleeding.  I told her I didnt wanna die laying on the road and didnt wanna loose my girlfriend.  My bike stopped right in front of a tractor trailer.  I heard the air brakes go off, and the driver say HOLY F@#$IN SH!T.  He got out of his truck and got some rope from a tool box and the lady and him tied my leg off.  At this point the Emt's had showed up, the lady and the truck driver refused to let go, was so nice to see complete strangers want to see me live.  And yes I was awake for all of this, I was taken to a helicopter where I flown to Lancaster General, I was awake till we got to the hospital.  I remembe nothing after for 4 days.  The old man said he never saw me.  From what I have heard they took his license from him that day.  They also had to bring a fire truck in wash the road from all my blood.  The end result,  shattered tibia, 8 pieces to be exact.  And no I wasnt wearing a helmet, my baseball hat never came off my head nor did my sunglasses, my cell phone was fine.  The only other injury I had was a quarter size road rash on my one elbow.  This is to all elderly people I know you need to get around but if you cant see dont change our lives like this. This happened May 28th and I am still laying in bed.  I think I  have had a total of 10 surgeries, still have one or two more to go.  The bike wasnt that bad destroyed my light bar and the heat shields, and the front fender...

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Why 88 Year olds shouldnt be driving
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 10:07:04 PM »

pic of where the bike landed

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 10:08:05 PM »

my leg

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 10:09:19 PM »

another one of my leg

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 10:10:55 PM »

one more of the leg

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 10:12:15 PM »

The muscle they took out of my stomach

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 10:13:21 PM »

Skin graphs, did I mention how bad they burn!!!!

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 10:14:41 PM »

This was after my most recent surgery looks nice huh??

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 10:15:40 PM »

My latest xray
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 01:03:44 PM by flynhigh205 »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 10:20:11 PM »

Flynhigh, I think everyone is speechless.

Welcome to the site and best wishes for a full recovery.  I can't imagine the surgeries and recovery time.

Glad you found the site, keep us posted on your recovery and rehab.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 10:24:10 PM »

I AM SPEECHLESS! I'm very sorry you are going through this but thank God it could have been worse. I hope you heal well and get back in the wind soon.

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 10:24:38 PM »

I forgot to add the most ironic part to all of this.  I broke the exact same bone in my left 4 years prior to this accident.  Not on my Harley was racing my quad.  Didnt clear a double jump and shattered my left tibia.  I have 20 screws and two 12 inch plates holding that leg together.  My right leg has one plate and ten screws.  They had to take arteries from my left leg and put them in my right leg.  Will I ride again yes with out a doubt if the mental thing does not screw with me to much. I have loved motorcycles since I was a little kid.  Oh yeah that first break was the cause of my divorce.  When you go through something like this you really see someones true colors.  10 years of marriage and I knew after the accident she wasnt the one for me.  One other topic I would like ot let all fellow riders know about.  I only had 15grand uninsured underinsured protection.  Do yourself a favor and get the max coverage you can, I will changing mine to 500k.  Its worth it in the long run. I have been ou of work since May its now Dec probably wont be going back till the end of Feb if I can. I still cant feel anything on the bottom of my foot, and my toes feel like they are curling under me.  It sucks to say the least... If you look in the first pic the dark spots on the yellow line was the blood.

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 10:30:24 PM »

Thank you for the words of encouragment.  Ill be back on my bike.  I know I used up a life in this accident  I took 13 pints of blood in the hospital. The human body holds 10, I should of died, I know it.  I can walk now, just have no strength in my thigh.  I am in PT right now,  but will have to my knee scoped to free up the scar tissue.  Thats me and my bike in happier times at Devils Tower

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 10:33:09 PM »

Seems like you've dealt with it and have a good attitude for recovery.  Great to see you and your bike.

We'll all be looking forward to your reunion with the bike and see you out in the wind again :2vrolijk_21:

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 10:37:43 PM »

flynhigh, I too am speechless. I hesitate to read this stories because I have never had an accident and I do't want doubts in my head but I also want to pick up any wisdom possible that might help me in a tense situation. I hope you continue to heal (faster would be nicer) and want to welcome you to this great site. I will keep you in my prayers and look forward to updates on your condition.

Blessings to you during these trying times!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »

That is an incredible injury and story.  So unfortunate and so lucky at the same time.  It is fantastic that you are again able to walk on your leg - and great that you still have a desire to ride.  Best wishes with your recovery and god bless.  And be sure to spend lots of your healing time with us on the site!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 11:24:15 PM »

flynhigh, godspeed in your recovery.  Your story is remarkably similar to my brother's.  he wrecked his Fatboy in June 07.  Here's the story on this site.  His most recent surgery was a couple of months ago to remove the external support rod and close it up.  he's still on crutches and has a removable cast for day time support and is back to work.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=14287.0

Your recommendation for increasing the underinsured motorist liability is a good one and I put mine to the MAX after my brothers accident.  It cost me $30 more/year.

Again, thanks for sharing and we are all praying for you.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 06:57:22 AM »

flynhigh,
Like everyone else I'm also speechless and sorry to hear about this unfortunate accident. May you continue in your speedy, full recovery, and be back in the wind soon. Welcome to the site glad that you found us, and joined us. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 08:00:11 AM »

Get well soon...

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 11:43:58 AM »

Holy chit, just saw this thead. Man your lucky you still got your leg. Keep up the PT. I know it's hard. Good luck..............Fuzz   
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 12:51:58 PM »

Sorry about the accident.  Will pray for a quick and complete recovery!

Welcome to the site!

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 02:23:07 PM »

Thanks for all the kind words.  I will get back on my steel horse.  It was scary when I got back on my quad the first few times after I broke my left leg, but I managed.  I know this may sound strange and maybe morbid, but if I am to go leave this life I cant think of a better way to go than riding my bike.  It is usually when I am the happiest.  Once I get my bike all together Ill post some pics of it. I put new handlebars on it, forward controls and a 6 spd.  Below is my main inspiration to get better.  Amazing I  only knew her for 18 months yet she stuck by my side better than my ex of 10 years.  She is a good rider thats her 2007 Dyna low rider,  I didnt think I would like her riding her own bike and not feeling her hold onto me, but there is nothing better than seeing her in my mirror...  Thank you again for all of your thoughts and prayers

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 03:28:57 PM »

flynhigh205,
You've got a lot to get better for. Pulling for your recovery. Welcome to the site!
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 04:15:57 PM »

holy crap, thats an ugly injury, i cant imagine the pain u must feel, keeps ur spirits up. I HOPE UR RIDIN AGIN SOON!

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 06:16:34 PM »

Flynhigh,

Welcome to the site, glad you finally found us. That is one amazing story and you are so lucky to be alive I hope you make a full recovery & get riding again soon!

Fat Boys Rule and their Riders Live Forever

cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 03:28:46 PM »

flynhigh,

Glad to hear your doing well with your recovery.  Boy those pictures make me cringe and bring back some not so fond memories for me.  Welcome to the site and the broken/shattered tibia club :)  Screws, and titanium rods woohoo.

I can't say you're morbid, because that is almost exactly the same thing I said about my accident, can't think of a better way to go if I have to go and its my time then doing something I love to do.   

Bet you are just loving that strength and gait training.   Stick with it, and best wishes for a speedy recovery. 

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 09:28:44 PM »

flynhigh, thanks for sharing all with us.  You've been thru a lot and seem to be managing some of the hardest struggles very well.  I must say you've given us all more reasons to ride safe, but often as you strive to get back in the saddle.  Luckily you didn't completely lose the leg as that type of bumper-to-leg injury seems to often take the leg/or foot.  Must say you've got a special friend sticking by you thru this.......let us hear as you progress.  ;) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 09:43:21 PM »

I am saddened to read of your experience but it brings me joy to read of the positive outlook you have.  Please know that you have site members that care and pray for you.

RGLIDE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 10:39:09 PM »

I thought  I was looking at my leg!!!! My thread is Dang Deer anyway I too had the fixature holding my leg together also. Just hang in there it will get better I'll keep you in my prayers aswell. You can thank God you didn't get MRSA Staph infection. That stuff is real bad news!!!

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 10:43:25 PM »

speedy recovery ,hope you heal 100 % best whishes   :2vrolijk_21:
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

Chrome O

• 2009 SEUC Ruby Red
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 07:27:53 AM »

Sorry to hear about your accident.
I have already said a prayer for your speedy recovery and no more misphaps.
Hows the girlfriend taking this.

Get WELL
What ever you think   ----your right---

Miss Kitty

• Admiral's Screaming Eagle
  • Full CVO Member
  • Silver Bullet BSR

• CVO1: 09 CUSE {BSR}
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 10:37:26 AM »

I'm glad that God had you in his hand that day, and it was nice of him to send a couple of angels to help you out. It's a shame that an accident had to occur to get them to pull his license. I only hope that when I get that old that God gives me the sense to pull my own darn license.They say everyone has a purpose in this life, yours must be a tremendous one. I'll be praying for your complete recovery. God bless.

Miss Kitty

Air51

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2009, 12:10:25 AM »

I've been busy past month and logged on tonight to see what I've missed and I must say....WOW!!  I am speechless over your accident and what you have gone through.  I truly hope and pray for a speedy recovery even though it has now been close to 8 months, you must be really anxious to get back to work and RIDING!  Thats a very nice girlfriend you got there and for her sticking by yer side through all this thick and thin she definately a keeper.  :)

Best wishes to you FlynHigh and welcome to the boards!!  ;D

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2009, 08:26:19 PM »

Thank you all again.  I am by no means a religous person, but there was something greater than all of us, that happened to me that day.  My father passed away about four years ago and I could swear he was with me. 

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 08:27:23 PM »

Some pics of my bike

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 08:28:53 PM »

looks naked

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2009, 08:33:52 PM »

My girlfriend has been great through all of this, she slept next to me in a chair for days while I was in the hospital, couldnt ask for a better one.  I got really lucky.  And believe it or not she and I met on a dating site,  as bad as my leg looks she has never gave up on me.  I can tell you all when I finally did wake up I told her if she wanted to break up I would understand, but she would hear none of it.  As you can see my bike actually faired alot better than I did

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 07:54:19 AM »

flyinhigh,
I do believe in Angels and I am sure both your Angel and you pop were with you to make sure you came through this! Godspeed your recovery and keep that positivity high it makes all the difference in the world! Shining wearing white light on you and wishing you and that good looking gal all the best!

Here's to you getting back in the saddle ASAP!

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2009, 01:31:03 PM »

Just about got it all done,  I have had my last leg surgery,  just a knee scope, and some nerve decompression.  I did find out that I got a hernia from the surgery when they took the muscle from my stomach,  so I will still have atleast one more surgery. 

Ditch

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA # 56.345 1/2

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Orange & Black
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »

flynhigh glad to see you are getting better. I'm sure it has not been easy, the bike looks great again!!! Keep healing and good luck! Thanks for the updates! Ride Safe, Bill
"Lead don't follow, just don't follow me!!!"

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 07FLHTCU
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »

So glad you are healing so well, can't imagine how hard this must be.  I am so proud of you for rebuilding your bike and wanting to ride again.  A lesser man might have quit.  God speed.

metalgrind

• METALGRIND
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno Orange,

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2, V&H Big Radius, SERT, HD Oil Cooler
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2009, 08:12:11 PM »

You are truly blessed to have survived. Get well soon and keep your spirits up. Hopefully you will ride again soon.

comfortablynumb

• Senior CVO Member
  • u can chek out any time u like,but ucan nver leave

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC3 SuperTrapp SE slip ons SE Stage 1 A/C SE Super Tuner Kury LED Brake & Turn Kury Zombie Shift Linkage & Cover Clearview 9.5 recurve Tru Track
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2009, 11:13:03 AM »

Holy you know what! Your great attitude and some more time will get you through this. Best wishes and prayers going forward.

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2009, 07:26:43 PM »

Hello to all of my well wishers.  I am happy to say I have had my last surgery well atleast till I have to my knees replaced.  I had my hernia surgery on Monday the 20th.  The doctor said it was actually alot worse than he thought.  I had a cat scan doen too, but he couldnt see the extent of it till he opened me up.  Anyway I am back home recovering, it is painful, but getting better.  I can say I have ridden my bike.  It felt so good to be back in the wind and on the road!!! My knee bends really good, I can walk almost perfectly again, people are shocked when I lift up my pants and they see my scars.  I just wanted to say thank you again to everyone for your prayers, Brian

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2009, 07:30:19 PM »

My new tattoo I had to get.  My doctor calls me the unbreakable man.  Seems very fitting

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2009, 07:48:28 PM »

oh yeah I finally got my truck back from the body shop, I did all of it but the paint

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2009, 05:25:17 PM »

Hey Flynhigh205, so glad to hear how much better things are going for you....and the fact that you've already been 'in the wind' is great!  Nice truck, too.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2009, 11:06:28 PM »

Cheesin away riding in the wind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2009, 07:54:26 AM »

Cheesin away riding in the wind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats and a big ole 'thumbs up' to ya!  :2vrolijk_21: har!  spyder

Ditch

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA # 56.345 1/2

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Orange & Black
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2009, 07:58:57 AM »

Glad to see you back in the wind!!! Glad all has worked out for you. Keep riding and be safe!  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
"Lead don't follow, just don't follow me!!!"

B u d d y

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09' FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2009, 08:19:19 AM »

It's good to see you are back on the scoot.  Ride safe.
Buddy
U.S. Air Force - Retired
09 FLHTCUSE4
1.75" fullsac baffles
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 21 queries.