Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Fairing mounted Oil Temperature Guage wire routing.  (Read 2079 times)

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Fairing mounted Oil Temperature Guage wire routing.
« on: June 30, 2009, 05:36:56 PM »

For those of you that installed your own oil temp gauge in the fairing,  did you remove the tank?   I would like to think that "fishing" the wire under the tank without having to drain and remove it is possible.  My gauge is to arrive Thursday and routing up the frame doesnt really suit me.  I'd like to hide the wire as much as possible.

Also,  I've heard the moco gauge doesnt match the new SERG?  what is it that doesnt match exactly??

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
Re: Fairing mounted Oil Temperature Guage wire routing.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 09:32:11 AM »

what is it that doesnt match exactly??  The back lighting is differant on the 09s. I have installed a few by just raising the tank and fishing the wire forward with no problems.  Doc

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 10:37:54 AM »

The 06 up dressers have a wiring "race" on the rt side of the frame that runs under the tank. You can run fish wire in frt thru the access hole and out under the back of tank pretty easy. I ran the 10 gauge power wire for the amp in about a minute to the battery from the inner fairing.  OLD time coat hanger with folded and taped end works good if you don't own a fish tape.

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 10:53:58 AM »

The 06 up dressers have a wiring "race" on the rt side of the frame that runs under the tank. You can run fish wire in frt thru the access hole and out under the back of tank pretty easy. I ran the 10 gauge power wire for the amp in about a minute to the battery from the inner fairing.  OLD time coat hanger with folded and taped end works good if you don't own a fish tape.

Appreciate the info guys,   I'll give the coat hanger fish tape a try.      Is it still a pot luck and major PIA to get the outer fairing back on the hooks like the older models were?   I can remember almost giving up before it finally and for no obvious reason would just fall in place.

Birdman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 09:07:15 PM »

aclass,
  I put the gauge in my 09 SERG and it doesn't light up like the rest of the gauges. The backlight is totally different then the rest.  There are a couple of post on this site here is one of them:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=34522.0

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:38:36 PM »

after removing the fairing, take the headlight trim piece off, then remove the headlight assembly by depressing the green clips on the inside. finish your task then put the fairing back on the hooks (really easy now), insert headlight assembly, when putting the headlight back in just don't force it, gently push and it will click right into place, pop trim piece on. i used to regret this job but i don't sweat it anymore.

easier for me anyhow. :drink:

good luck

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »

TN has obviously done this before and is right on with his directions.

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 10:43:42 PM »

Thanks for the tip.   I couldnt believe it but I hit the hooks on the first try this time.   I needed some good luck though,   while tightening the gauge mount at the back of the fairing yesterday the glass and trim ring popped off and my gauge glass fell to the floor and broke.  It wasnt all that tight yet either,  not sure what I had wrong.
Went to a glass shop this morning and had another piece cut and tried to put the gauge back together,  super tight!!!   broke that glass too while trying to put the trim ring back on.
I had two HD air temp gauges from previous bikes that I figured I'd get the glass out of them.   The glass, gasket, trim ring was all different than the oil temp gauge.  Turns out the oil temp gauge is Made in USA while our stock gauges are made in Malaysia.  So I was at the point of totally giving up and was able to make the gasket and glass work on the oil temp gauge but I had to do away with a piece of plastic that held an o-ring in.  Was lucky enough to pop the trim ring back on the guage and get it installed and since the oil temp gauges dont have needle stops it falls against my "make-shift" rubber gasket and sometime sticks.  So far and little tap free's it up but it still sucks that I totally botched this job and will probably end up having to buy another guage someday.   Hopefully the Moco will make a perfect match soon.   This was the third bike I've put the oil temp gauge in but boy did I strike out this time.

Learn from my mistake,   careful when you tighten that thing in the fairing. :dunce:

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 08:21:10 PM »

Yeah so I wish I would have read this yesterday... or at least early this am...  That POS gauge popped off on me too.  Chrome Ring a flying.  What a POS. JUNK PURE JUNK. Plus the gauge doesnt really match and I think it is just a little bigger also.  I think I am going to take it back, since I havent been able to get the Chrome ring back on, and by another digital dipstick.  My Digital dipstick died. (moisture in it) OR if I get it back together I will epoxy the sh!t out of it...   

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 09:50:09 PM »

Ahh so that didnt happen...  I couldnt get that gauge back together to save my life (not with out breaking it) so back in the box it went. So I get the fairing back on with 2 screws and decide to check the bulbs and now I have a headlight out...  highbeam so enough for tonight

If I met the engineer who designed that gauge I think I would punch his lights out.  The Malaysian made gauges are so much more well designed and better built.  Another quick fix to soak us for 140 bucks...

So for those who dont know, the gauge in slightly larger, the face is different, and the connections on the back are ring terminals with screws.  Stock has plug in connectors. The mounting bracket on the back is steel as opposed to the stock mount which is plastic.  Why? I dont really know, bit refer to my last sentence.  So maybe I can find a silver faced Roger Mcwan gauge I dont know.   

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 10:40:57 PM »

Did you break your glass Tony?      I'll buy your gauge if you want to sell it.   I had to rig mine up with a different gasket and it blocks ALL of the red light from lighting the gauge.    I was able to work the trim ring back on with one hand holding it together while taking a Stanley trigger clamp and slowly working my way around.  I was sure the guage was gonna explode before it popped back in but luckily it made it without any damage.
If you wanna sell me your gauge in pieces let me know.

The Oil temp gauge kit for the fairing on the CVO bikes is a big disappointment in my opinion.   I like seeing my oil temps all the time but I dont like having a different looking gauge.  The moco needs to make a matching unit.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 08:23:34 AM by aclass »

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 08:02:02 AM »

the trick to the fairing install is exactly as TN said. remove the headlight, so easy. I've had mine off and on at least a dozen times. makes windshield changes a piece of cake
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 04:46:38 PM »

No, I didnt break the glass, just all popped apart.  Took it back to day to my local dealer and was pleasantly given a refund, no questions asked.  So I purchased the new oil level oil temp dipstick.  So thats done, now I just have to replace the head light bulb and I will be good to go....   

admccrea

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 01:20:54 PM »

after removing the fairing, take the headlight trim piece off, then remove the headlight assembly by depressing the green clips on the inside. finish your task then put the fairing back on the hooks (really easy now), insert headlight assembly, when putting the headlight back in just don't force it, gently push and it will click right into place, pop trim piece on. i used to regret this job but i don't sweat it anymore.

easier for me anyhow. :drink:

good luck

TN

Thanks TN for this tip.  It took me an hour to get my outer fairing back on last time.

I love this site!
 :)

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 09:50:27 PM »

another reason I'm keeping my seeg ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.