Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Dealership discounts  (Read 12266 times)

hogasm

Re: Dealership discounts
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 12:19:36 PM »

So let's hear you better alternative, friend.

No, he's not. You're not familiar with the program, so you really can't make an asinine statement like that. What do you pay for the stupid HOG membership, that only grants a 10% discount? No offense, but I really don't want to pay for the Hog Tales magazine (should be called MoCo advertisement magazine) that comes 3 or 4 times a year, so I can attend some meetings with a bunch of other people.

I don't need to be in an "elite" club to ride my bike and qualify for a little deal on parts from my local dealer. Who, by the way, employs people who live in my county. HOG members only get 10%. With my first purchase, I instantly qualified for 12%. They give you extra points just for logging miles on your bike, and I won another point just for attending the MVP dinners. Like I stated above, the day I purchased the MVP membership, my wheel and a bunch of other stuff, I immediately saved around $300. So adding the cost of the membership, I STILL saved well over $225. Whenever I buy various things, like oil/filters, clothes, etc, I wait until the MVP nights and get additional discounts on top of the membership discount. If you work it to your advantage, it's a really good program.

http://www.starvedrockhdmvp.com/main.php

In fact, this weekend, they are offering DOUBLE discounts for MVP members. So I'll get 28% off my Tour Pak if I order it this weekend. Guess I know where I'll be Saturday morning. That extra discount added this weekend will work out to about another $140 off the Tour Pak and optional stuff I want for it. That alone is almost twice the one-time $75 fee. So I ask you... how is that "screwing me up the ass"?

http://www.starvedrockhd.com/

It is good to see that you are able to take advantage of his fee, but why should you have to pay that fee to begin with :nixweiss:

Our dealer gives free tire mounting to HOG members.....so let's see I have 3 bikes. One goes through 3 rear tires a year, one goes through 2 rear tires a year and the other goes through 1 rear tire each year. At $99 per tire mount and ballance with 6 tires comes to $594 minus the cost of being a HOG member of $40/year and $10/year for local, comes to a savings of $504 per year. And believe you me, it is the only reason that I am a member

When I use my Visa card I receive up to 3% of my charges in chrome cash from Harley. At one time I put 3500 on account at the Dealership. They had an offer that if you put monies on account, for every $75 they would give you $100. So my 3500 turned into $4375. Then one day they had a fish bowl with discounts that you will receive on your purchase, well I drew 25% off, so I ordered every part that I needed to completely rebuild my 02 from the ground up.....Oh yea now I have $5375 on account in which I spent pretty much every dime :huepfenlol2:....Oh yea forgot...had to be a HOG member to take advantage of HIS discounts and offers.

So for $50 I received $504 for free+ $1875 = $2379

Not beating an old horse but....if you are able to take advantage of the discount/deal that your dealer is offering....then GREAT but for the average Joe that is living week to week, paying out a fee to receive a discount is a tough thing to do.

bikerbum11

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • U.P. Cruising
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 01:10:42 PM »

I agree... I'm not going to give my stealer more money to get a better discount. I put together a wish list and wait until my local dealer runs his 20% discount which is about 4 times a year. If I need it before then, I'll start making phone calls.

I've run across some dealers that offer 10% for just being a national HOG member.. not a local HOG member

2015 CVO Limited

Wanna ride

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 09:18:11 PM »

I'm sorry. You're right, I'm wrong. Now you can go finish your other argument with the wall.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:22:10 PM by Wanna Ride »

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 09:40:43 PM »

I'm sorry. You're right, I'm wrong. Now you can go finish your other argument with the wall.

No, he's usually arguing with Chip.

bikerbum11

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • U.P. Cruising
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 06:46:11 AM »

Hey, what ever works best for you, that's what you need to do... :nixweiss:
2015 CVO Limited

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 07:58:17 AM »

I deal with a semi local dealer who has a 25% sale the Saturday after Thanksgiving (stock or ordered parts).....from Thanksgiving to Christmas, all stock HD Parts are 20% off.  During the year they give you a card that is punched when you spend $50....there are there are 20 punches on the card, when it all punched out the card becomes a $200 gift certificate for HD Parts.

My two Cents....no charge for the punch card.....

napalm
napalm

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 09:28:41 AM »

Hey.......any deal is better than NO DEAL!  And we all love a deal if it's really a deal.  The best deal is to be treated 'fairly' and with respect and not taken advantage of just because they can.  We all know which dealers treat us the right way and which ones to avoid whenever possible.  At least we can spread this info so as to be better informed (like Jenni).  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 09:15:11 AM »

Right on, Spyder!!!!

napalm
napalm

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 12:47:41 PM »

Capital City HD in Madison, Wisconsin offers 20% off apparel and accessories all year...

http://www.capitalcityhd.com/catalog.asp
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 05:18:55 AM »

I get 20% everything at my dealership. He doesn't charge me anything for that privelage, other than the 6 bikes I've paid MSRP for.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 06:26:07 PM »

I get 20% everything at my dealership. He doesn't charge me anything for that privelage, other than the 6 bikes I've paid MSRP for.

Well, look who came out of the woodwork!

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 07:22:24 PM »

I'm looking at buying a new chopped tour pak and quick disconnect kit for the weekend trips this summer.

Is anyone here familiar with the MVP program offered at a few dealerships? There's only about 20 or so dealerships that offer this. Basically, you pay a one time fee of $75 and you earn discounts. Initial members start off at 10% off, and then you build up. I'm at about 14% off all purchases (bikes excluded). HOG members get a standard 10% off, but if you're not a HOG member, this isn't a bad deal. The 20% offered at some dealerships is sweet, if you don't mind ordering over the phone or 'net.

For the everyday stuff the MVP program isn't bad, it's definitely better than nothing and it helps out my local dealer. But I'll probably order my tour pak from Chicago HD and ride up there to pick it up. When I paid for my MVP membership, I was in there to buy my PM front wheel, tire, rotor, and other stuff. It was going to be somewhere around $2000 total. With adding the MVP membership and instantly applying the discount, it all ended up being around $1700. So in that case, it was foolish not to join MVP. They also give the same MVP discount on Drag, motorclothes, and HD parts. Any item in the store, or that can be order from the store get the discount, except bikes. There's certain things you just are apprehensive about buying from mail-order, and you just want to buy from someone you already have a relationship established with. Two times a year, they have a MVP night, with free dinner (pretty good catering too), beer, mixed drinks, extra discounts on everything in the store, and a ton of free give-aways including a big flat-screen tv. That alone, twice a year is well worth the one-time $75 fee. :)

Let me get this correct.  You pay $75 for 10% off to start.  So your first $750 you spend, you get $75 off, and have paid $75 to get this, so you have paid MSRP for the first $750 in purchases.  You said that you instantly applied your discount when you made your first purchase of around $2000.  Since you got a 12% discount, that would mean you saved $240 minus the $75 to join, so you saved $165 on a $2000 purchase, which I calculate to a total discount of a little over 8%.  Now, if you made this one purchase through Jenni, you would have saved $400 on the purchase.  Unless you happened to be the lucky winner of that big flat-screen TV, I don't see how this is a good deal at all.  Yes, I know you think you are stimulating the local economy, but only the owner's economy.  Do you really think that they're paying the employees better just because they are making more money off of each customer?  Now, you are buying the tourpack and saving 28% or $140, which means the price would be about $500 for the tourpack, etc.  Puchasing it through Jenni saves $100.  So, on these 2 purchases, you saved $305, which is great if it weren't for the fact that you would have saved $500 through Jenni.  Now, admittedly, Jenni charges $10 shipping on each order, so you would have really only saved $480 vs. $305.  That's an extra $175 still in your pocket and I'll bet you can find a better dinner than the dealer serves with $175.  I'm just saying...

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 07:28:38 PM »

So, on these 2 purchases, you saved $305, which is great if it weren't for the fact that you would have saved $500 through Jenni.  Now, admittedly, Jenni charges $10 shipping on each order, so you would have really only saved $480 vs. $305.  That's an extra $175 still in your pocket and I'll bet you can find a better dinner than the dealer serves with $175.  I'm just saying...
In some States, you'd save 'tax' by buying out-of-state also.   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010, 07:41:30 PM »

Well, look who came out of the woodwork!

i have this bad habit of eatin, so been busy with work
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2010, 07:59:51 PM »

In some States, you'd save 'tax' by buying out-of-state also.   spyder

I meant to add that and forgot.  In his case with Illinois, that would have been another 6.25% savings or another $156.25 on $2500 in purchases.  So that brings the total savings on these 2 purchases to about $331.25 by going through Jenni.  No matter how you look at it, that's a hefty amount left in your pocket, or another $414 in parts you could buy with the 20% discount.  Now I know why I've stopped buying parts from my local dealer.  On my last bike alone, I would have saved well over $2000 by ordering through Jenni, but luckily, at the time I purchased most of my parts at 25% off from a local dealer that was running a special that they no longer run.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.