Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire Air Valve Issue or is it just me?  (Read 1260 times)

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
Tire Air Valve Issue or is it just me?
« on: May 27, 2010, 02:29:48 PM »

I tried to check and top-off the air pressue on the front and rear tires of my FLHTCUSE4 and it was a &%$#@*()! I could not get the damn rear tire filled completely and trying to take a pressure reading to see how much pressure I had was almost as bad as trying to fill the tires. I never had this problem with my 05 SEEG. What's up with this? Has anyone else had this problem with their FLHTCUSE? Seems like he valve stems are really located in a bad position. How have others managed to check and keep their tires filled without skinning their nuckles or burning their skin on the brake discs? Thanks

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Tire Air Valve Issue or is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 02:43:05 PM »

I tried to check and top-off the air pressue on the front and rear tires of my FLHTCUSE4 and it was a &%$#@*()! I could not get the damn rear tire filled completely and trying to take a pressure reading to see how much pressure I had was almost as bad as trying to fill the tires. I never had this problem with my 05 SEEG. What's up with this? Has anyone else had this problem with their FLHTCUSE? Seems like he valve stems are really located in a bad position. How have others managed to check and keep their tires filled without skinning their nuckles or burning their skin on the brake discs? Thanks

There have been other's reporting the same problem, and the answer could be as simple as a different style air chuck and gauge, or different valve stems that provide better access (45°, 90°, etc.).  Here's a link to one thread discussing this issue:.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=42359.0

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twistedrider

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 03:24:55 PM »

I use this gauge ... works very well .. Allows you to check the pressure without removing the hose from the tire.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CJHU9W?tag=sunsit-20

gg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 05:26:19 PM »

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I may have found a gauge in one of the links provided that clips to the valve stem and has a long enough hose that allows air to be added at the gauge that will go into the tire. Now all I have to do is find one and buy it. Thanks. Still don't understand why HD would not pay attention to an important detail like that, since it directly affects rider and vehicle safety.

StrikerDown

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: SEUC-5 Metalic Pumpkin, Scarlet Red/Dark Slate
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 05:35:34 PM »

or burning their skin on the brake discs?

This won't help with the logistics of checking your pressure but you should be checking it with cold tires. I've never had a hot disk and cold tires.
Ray

Past Bikes: Several honda's, two Sportsters-76-01, 91-Fat Boy, 96 Heritage classic, 2000 Road King.

Present: 2010 FLHTCUSE

gg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 08:32:57 PM »

Hi Strikerdown, long story short, I forgot to mention that I did measure pressure on cold tires in my garage, but could not get my damn air compressor tire valve fitting to fit tight to valve, because of valve position and disc being in the way. So I had the cold pressure, took a second pressure reading at the gas station, and tried to add what I needed based upon the original cold pressure reading in my garage. The trip to the gas station heated up the disc. thanks for thinking of that. Like I said at the start, I never had this issue with my 05 SEEG.

StrikerDown

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:44:35 PM »

Hi Strikerdown, long story short, I forgot to mention that I did measure pressure on cold tires in my garage, but could not get my damn air compressor tire valve fitting to fit tight to valve, because of valve position and disc being in the way. So I had the cold pressure, took a second pressure reading at the gas station, and tried to add what I needed based upon the original cold pressure reading in my garage. The trip to the gas station heated up the disc. thanks for thinking of that. Like I said at the start, I never had this issue with my 05 SEEG.

Sounds like you are on top of things.

Glad you mentioned this I have a relatively new to me SEUC-5 that I will check out tonight when I get home.

Had a Honda trail bike that was next to impossible to air up until I changed to a tube with a 90deg stem. It worked but would look like chit on chrome wheels! :puke:
Ray

Past Bikes: Several honda's, two Sportsters-76-01, 91-Fat Boy, 96 Heritage classic, 2000 Road King.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 11:28:09 AM »

I think I may have found a solution to the problem that started this thread. Someone else mentioned a site for air pumps and on that site (BestRest Products) I found a 90 degree angle valve extension that is only for filling tires. It's only $7. They have a website. The shipping costs more than the valve, $9 for USPS priority mail. If this works, I'll let you know.

StrikerDown

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »

gg,

I checked my FLHTCUSE-5 last night. It has the valve stem on the rim pointing at the disk, a simple angle head air chuck should work okay. On my air compressor is an air chuck that incorporates the fill valve, gauge, short length of hose and a straight on air chuck much like most gas stations have/had for customer use. With it I have to bend the short hose in a 108 to get it on the the valve stem... kind of a pita but workable. The simple angled air chuck is easier to use but I don't have a gauge on that one.

That 90 deg adapter might be the ticket, sounds like they are making more on the shipping than on the part, 5 bucks for a small flat rate priority box is about right.
Ray

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 12:09:55 AM »

gg, I have the same issue on my 09SEUC. When it is time to replace my rear tire I am going to put a shorter valve stem on it, or a 90 degree valve stem. I think that unless you could get a 90 degree stem that did  a 90 as soon as it left the rim you might be okay, it looks like there is enough room for one.I think that if it did not 90 as soon as it left the rim the tire chuck would make contact with the disc making it even more difficult.  I dislike the fact that I have to get in a contorted position to check my air pressure. Which I do on a regular basis. I use a HD gauge and it is within one pound of my Groit's Garage gage which is suppose to be really accurate. Also I would like to mention that on the occasion that my bike sits  the tires will maintain pressure for about two weeks. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 08:27:22 AM »

CAHDBIKER, thanks for the reply. Reading your post was deja vu for me. I am hoping that the 90 degree valve extension I ordered and/or the new tire pressure gage that allows you to use it to fill the tire, or both together, will fix the issue. Waiting for those items now, but will post again after I get them and experiment. BTW, that valve extension I mentioned above is only for filling the tire and does not stay on after filling the tire. I just don't understand what happened in HD's design process to cause this condition.

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 22 queries.