Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 2012 SE Compensator  (Read 10361 times)

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
2012 SE Compensator
« on: July 29, 2011, 02:59:21 PM »

As many of you know, the 2012 models have the newly modified SE compensator, an 08A vs. 08. It looks like the main difference is the shaft extension, with more teeth, and sliding cam to accomodate the new tooth pattern on the shaft extension. The sprocket retainer is also different. When I had my SE compensator replaced under warranty 2 weeks ago, the exact parts that were modified were the ones that failed. I got the old ones, and obviously not happy about it now.

I've attached here a file that shows the two versions of the SE compensator.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
Re: 2012 SE Compensator
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 03:10:49 PM »

Does this mean the SE compensator I just put on my '08 could be inherently flawed as well ???  :nervous:
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 03:12:10 PM »

As many of you know, the 2012 models have the newly modified SE compensator, an 08A vs. 08. It looks like the main difference is the shaft extension, with more teeth, and sliding cam to accomodate the new tooth pattern on the shaft extension. The sprocket retainer is also different. When I had my SE compensator replaced under warranty 2 weeks ago, the exact parts that were modified were the ones that failed. I got the old ones, and obviously not happy about it now.

I've attached here a file that shows the two versions of the SE compensator.

I'm sure the MOCO will provide the upgraded "08A" SE Compensator free of charge to all those who bought the previous upgraded "08" SE compensator on their dime.   ::)

Of course, the original non-SE Compensator that was provided as original equipment on 110 CVO's a few years ago - was a non-functioning POS - forcing us to buy the "08" SE Compensator.  The "08" SE compensator functioned well, but wears out prematurly.  So hopefully, the "08A" compensator will be "third times a charm".  But who knows - if the MOCO can develop SE Compensator "08B" in a couple years - then the revenue stream continues to roll!   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:14:41 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 04:02:04 PM »

Great!!! I just looked at my bill for the SE Comp I installed two weeks ago and it was the "08", so I guess they're clearing out the old stock before sending dealers the new "08A", just can't win with this company. :soapbox:
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 04:31:33 PM »

Why would any of you be surprised?  They already screwed you when you had to pay to fix their original POS cheap crap design, and now you will get to help them keep the profits flowing when you buy the update to the updated design.  Just think of it as showing support for your favorite iconic (and disfunctional) motorcycle company.  For the cheap folks who don't want to show their support at this time, I suggest waiting for the inevitable -B version that should be out in another couple years. 

Rocket science it surely isn't, but you would never know that from watching Harley try to reinvent the wheel.  It's unfortunate that they persist in expecting the customers to be the unpaid product testers, but they've got to save a buck where possible.  Someone has to pay those fat salaries and bonuses, so suck it up and keep those dollars flowing.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 05:21:26 PM »

We are the Beta testers, but I've always been paid to be one from my pharmaceutical and instrument companies.  Doc
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:32:31 PM by grandpadoc »

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 06:50:30 PM »

We are the Beta testers, but I've always been paid to be one from my pharmaceutical and instrument companies.  Doc

ain't this the truth. upaid and under appreciated.

glad the compensator is an easy part to replace. :drink:

TN

i forgot about the book i recieved from HD for the 07-110" experience. :'(
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:58:45 PM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »

I have been in conversation with two dealers for a week about this issue with the help of grc one of them has agreed with the info Jerry supplied me   so I have one on order for the 07 springer when it arrives they will install under extended warranty  and me looking over the tech shoulder....

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »

:soapbox:

This is all getting more than a little bit old, forget t-shirts, H-D should give away free lubricant with purchase.  :cucumber:
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 09:00:38 PM »

This is all getting more than a little bit old, forget t-shirts, H-D should give away free lubricant with purchase.  :cucumber:

;D   Too bad they don't follow Hyundai's lead and offer a ten year warranty.  Unfortunately, if they did offer (and actually honor) a ten year warranty, they would have to at least double the prices of the bikes to keep from going out of business.  So I guess if folks want to just keep paying high prices instead of really ridiculously high prices, they'll have to accept the never ending repair process that is part of the Harley experience.  Look at it this way, it builds character and it gives us stuff to talk about.

As for the lubricant, I'm assuming you mean Vaseline or K-Y.  I suggested that a few years back, with an automatic dispenser built into the seat.  Ride to the friendly dealer, jump off and grab your ankles, and you'll already be lubed up and ready.  Much better than just hoping they will remember the lube this time.

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 11:03:59 PM »

;D   Too bad they don't follow Hyundai's lead and offer a ten year warranty.  Unfortunately, if they did offer (and actually honor) a ten year warranty, they would have to at least double the prices of the bikes to keep from going out of business.  So I guess if folks want to just keep paying high prices instead of really ridiculously high prices, they'll have to accept the never ending repair process that is part of the Harley experience.  Look at it this way, it builds character and it gives us stuff to talk about.

As for the lubricant, I'm assuming you mean Vaseline or K-Y.  I suggested that a few years back, with an automatic dispenser built into the seat.  Ride to the friendly dealer, jump off and grab your ankles, and you'll already be lubed up and ready.  Much better than just hoping they will remember the lube this time.

Jerry ;)

Shovelhead breakdowns are character building and fun to discuss. Evos were largely, not unlike my '72 Chevy pickup , proof dependability could still coexist alongside reasonable parts/repair/upgrade costs.
The issues we deal with presently including poor quality, dealer bad attitudes , and insane federal emissions constraining the moco just plain suck.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:33:22 PM by Shovelhead »

Fast FLHX

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Kryptonite FLHXSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2020 Smokey Grey/Black Hole FLHXSE
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 09:12:07 AM »

What are the warning signs of a compensator failure?

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 12:31:18 PM »

A real nasty grinding noise when starting. At least that is what mind did. 13,000 mike with the new compensator and no starting problems. Took HD only two years to fix it...
Bill

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 12:35:15 PM »

"normal" clacking, crunching metallic sounds.  You could hear the spring pack in mine dislodging itself when it was cold....got "normal" for the local idgit shack unitl they7 got clearance for HD...then had the friggin balls to offer only partial coverage...clucksticks..... I am happy with the -8.....8A will have to wait.

:drink:

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 09:15:07 PM »

What are the warning signs of a compensator failure?

Mine backfired, almost like an explosion, every 8 starts or so. It was ugly when I inspected it, mostly bad teeth wear & cam lobes. Since the time I replaced it, no backfiring at all.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 09:03:43 AM »

nfg

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 08:17:07 PM »

can buy just the updated parts for the old se compensator. :nixweiss:

83935-09 COMPENSATOR ASSY   MSRP   219.95

TN

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 08:32:16 PM »

can buy just the updated parts for the old se compensator. :nixweiss:

83935-09 COMPENSATOR ASSY   MSRP   219.95

TN

So the MOCO is making available the necessary replacement parts to fix their 2nd attempt at a suitable compensator for our bikes...at the low, low price of $219.95...

Fairly outrageous...   :sauer005:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 08:05:26 AM »

So the MOCO is making available the necessary replacement parts to fix their 2nd attempt at a suitable compensator for our bikes...at the low, low price of $219.95...

Fairly outrageous...   :sauer005:

you use the existing rotor and spring paks from the original se compensator, and all for 219.95.

HD needs to start doing late nite infomercials so we can stay up to date. or better yet a premium channel all there own for proprietary reasons. :drink:

TN

complete kit
 40274-08A            KIT-COMPENSATOR,DYNA/SFTL/TOURING      MSRP    $249.95
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:44:08 AM by TN »

Richard K

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »

Hey Folks;
About this failing SE Comp.  My partner and I have been studying and working on a solution for some time now. We have it fixed. We are working on the production details and hope to have something available going into next year. So here is the rundown;

1.) It fails because there is no oil making it to the center of the comp assembly. Start the engine and what little oil was able to drip on the comp is cleared instantly. Splash that use to get to the old style comps does not make it to this new design. It just eats itself up. The red everyone is finding is fretting and that is the breaking down of the surface material and it is very destructive. Then there is the grinding up of the spokes and cam from running dry.

2.)The changes to the SE Comp. The only difference in the 08 & the 08A is the inner bearing (the part the bore of the sprocket run on) was removed from the shaft extension and is now on the retainer. Had nothing to do with fixing the failures, it was to make assembly easier. There has been comments about a newer version coming out very soon. Already on the market and I have 2 of them. They have the 08A number on the boxes I received. What changed was the springs. They are made to be stiffer (the largest ones are thicker and the smallest is wider) so  as the comp ramps up the cam so the assembly hopefully will not hit full rotation so soon. Again this was to help with noises and keeping the comp from locking thus creating a solid sprocket. That will bend the crank and is why you do not want to use a solid sprocket on the Twin Cam engine. Now that is a complete other conversation for another time.

No one knows for sure if or when the Moco will come out with their version of a fix for this POS so we took the bull by the horn and came up with our own. Then we have to ask ourselves will the fix be for the new model year (what ever that year may be) or will there be a retro fit for the bikes on the road. I don't want to even think about what that cost will be.

Now the problem with the newest version comes in the fact that the MoCo has changed manufactures. It is being shipped from overseas (I would guess China) The quality control is a mess now. I have personally looking a 9 comps in the last week and they all are rusted and corroded to hell. This new manufacturer did not coat the metal with anything then put them on a container ship and you can guess the mess that come out of the box after many days exposed to the sale air. I am told we will be looking at sometime in September before news ones arrive. I am also to understand that the bikes at the dealers waiting for comps get first call.

3.) You will soon have no choice but the SE Comp as the MoCo is discontinuing production of the stock units.

Have a look at the pics and the trashed comp I ran 1964 miles and pulled it. It started making noises. I have been getting about 8 to 12K before the noises got really bad. Now look at the pics where the comp looks just fine. That is after installing our oil delivery kit and this comp had over 4,000 hard miles on it pulling my TriGlide and CycleStream trailer fully loaded the complete distance.

I can't get more than one pic to post so here is the sprocket after 4K miles with the oiler installed.

I will keep you posted as we progress.

Richard K

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 07:08:02 PM »

here is the sprocket with 1964 miles just running around town

Richard K

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 07:09:48 PM »

here is the bearing sleeve after 4K miles

Richard K

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »

sprocket bore with 1964 miles of service

Richard K

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 07:11:35 PM »

sprocket bore with 4K hard miles with oiler installed

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 07:53:24 PM »

sprocket bore with 4K hard miles with oiler installed

Any pics of this new part to correct the oiling issue?

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »

Any pics of this new part to correct the oiling issue?

You can find some HERE

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 01:18:17 AM »

rheiner, just for the record the original compensator on my 09 made it to just about 17,000 miles. Mostly freeway. It started clacking pretty good and the dealer replaced it with the SE version, but I got the 08 not the 08A, all under warranty. Of course they charged me an extra $100.00 for the upgrade from what came with the bike to the SE Version. Also one of the front wheel bearings was replaced. It was making a howling noise going down the road. The service writer said that whenever they see any type of moisture(oil) around the stator plug they are obligated to pull the primary and replace everything that is broken in there. So if you are under warranty and are concerned about your compensator, make sure your stator plug has a slight leak. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 12:42:14 PM »

rheiner, just for the record the original compensator on my 09 made it to just about 17,000 miles. Mostly freeway. It started clacking pretty good and the dealer replaced it with the SE version, but I got the 08 not the 08A, all under warranty. Of course they charged me an extra $100.00 for the upgrade from what came with the bike to the SE Version. Also one of the front wheel bearings was replaced. It was making a howling noise going down the road. The service writer said that whenever they see any type of moisture(oil) around the stator plug they are obligated to pull the primary and replace everything that is broken in there. So if you are under warranty and are concerned about your compensator, make sure your stator plug has a slight leak. CAHDBIKER
Ah Ha! A word from the wise!
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 21 queries.