Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2012 SE Compensator  (Read 10409 times)

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
2012 SE Compensator
« on: July 29, 2011, 02:59:21 PM »

As many of you know, the 2012 models have the newly modified SE compensator, an 08A vs. 08. It looks like the main difference is the shaft extension, with more teeth, and sliding cam to accomodate the new tooth pattern on the shaft extension. The sprocket retainer is also different. When I had my SE compensator replaced under warranty 2 weeks ago, the exact parts that were modified were the ones that failed. I got the old ones, and obviously not happy about it now.

I've attached here a file that shows the two versions of the SE compensator.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
Re: 2012 SE Compensator
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 03:10:49 PM »

Does this mean the SE compensator I just put on my '08 could be inherently flawed as well ???  :nervous:
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 03:12:10 PM »

As many of you know, the 2012 models have the newly modified SE compensator, an 08A vs. 08. It looks like the main difference is the shaft extension, with more teeth, and sliding cam to accomodate the new tooth pattern on the shaft extension. The sprocket retainer is also different. When I had my SE compensator replaced under warranty 2 weeks ago, the exact parts that were modified were the ones that failed. I got the old ones, and obviously not happy about it now.

I've attached here a file that shows the two versions of the SE compensator.

I'm sure the MOCO will provide the upgraded "08A" SE Compensator free of charge to all those who bought the previous upgraded "08" SE compensator on their dime.   ::)

Of course, the original non-SE Compensator that was provided as original equipment on 110 CVO's a few years ago - was a non-functioning POS - forcing us to buy the "08" SE Compensator.  The "08" SE compensator functioned well, but wears out prematurly.  So hopefully, the "08A" compensator will be "third times a charm".  But who knows - if the MOCO can develop SE Compensator "08B" in a couple years - then the revenue stream continues to roll!   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:14:41 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 04:02:04 PM »

Great!!! I just looked at my bill for the SE Comp I installed two weeks ago and it was the "08", so I guess they're clearing out the old stock before sending dealers the new "08A", just can't win with this company. :soapbox:
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 04:31:33 PM »

Why would any of you be surprised?  They already screwed you when you had to pay to fix their original POS cheap crap design, and now you will get to help them keep the profits flowing when you buy the update to the updated design.  Just think of it as showing support for your favorite iconic (and disfunctional) motorcycle company.  For the cheap folks who don't want to show their support at this time, I suggest waiting for the inevitable -B version that should be out in another couple years. 

Rocket science it surely isn't, but you would never know that from watching Harley try to reinvent the wheel.  It's unfortunate that they persist in expecting the customers to be the unpaid product testers, but they've got to save a buck where possible.  Someone has to pay those fat salaries and bonuses, so suck it up and keep those dollars flowing.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 05:21:26 PM »

We are the Beta testers, but I've always been paid to be one from my pharmaceutical and instrument companies.  Doc
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:32:31 PM by grandpadoc »

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 06:50:30 PM »

We are the Beta testers, but I've always been paid to be one from my pharmaceutical and instrument companies.  Doc

ain't this the truth. upaid and under appreciated.

glad the compensator is an easy part to replace. :drink:

TN

i forgot about the book i recieved from HD for the 07-110" experience. :'(
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:58:45 PM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »

I have been in conversation with two dealers for a week about this issue with the help of grc one of them has agreed with the info Jerry supplied me   so I have one on order for the 07 springer when it arrives they will install under extended warranty  and me looking over the tech shoulder....

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »

:soapbox:

This is all getting more than a little bit old, forget t-shirts, H-D should give away free lubricant with purchase.  :cucumber:
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 09:00:38 PM »

This is all getting more than a little bit old, forget t-shirts, H-D should give away free lubricant with purchase.  :cucumber:

;D   Too bad they don't follow Hyundai's lead and offer a ten year warranty.  Unfortunately, if they did offer (and actually honor) a ten year warranty, they would have to at least double the prices of the bikes to keep from going out of business.  So I guess if folks want to just keep paying high prices instead of really ridiculously high prices, they'll have to accept the never ending repair process that is part of the Harley experience.  Look at it this way, it builds character and it gives us stuff to talk about.

As for the lubricant, I'm assuming you mean Vaseline or K-Y.  I suggested that a few years back, with an automatic dispenser built into the seat.  Ride to the friendly dealer, jump off and grab your ankles, and you'll already be lubed up and ready.  Much better than just hoping they will remember the lube this time.

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 11:03:59 PM »

;D   Too bad they don't follow Hyundai's lead and offer a ten year warranty.  Unfortunately, if they did offer (and actually honor) a ten year warranty, they would have to at least double the prices of the bikes to keep from going out of business.  So I guess if folks want to just keep paying high prices instead of really ridiculously high prices, they'll have to accept the never ending repair process that is part of the Harley experience.  Look at it this way, it builds character and it gives us stuff to talk about.

As for the lubricant, I'm assuming you mean Vaseline or K-Y.  I suggested that a few years back, with an automatic dispenser built into the seat.  Ride to the friendly dealer, jump off and grab your ankles, and you'll already be lubed up and ready.  Much better than just hoping they will remember the lube this time.

Jerry ;)

Shovelhead breakdowns are character building and fun to discuss. Evos were largely, not unlike my '72 Chevy pickup , proof dependability could still coexist alongside reasonable parts/repair/upgrade costs.
The issues we deal with presently including poor quality, dealer bad attitudes , and insane federal emissions constraining the moco just plain suck.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:33:22 PM by Shovelhead »

Fast FLHX

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Kryptonite FLHXSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2020 Smokey Grey/Black Hole FLHXSE
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 09:12:07 AM »

What are the warning signs of a compensator failure?

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 12:31:18 PM »

A real nasty grinding noise when starting. At least that is what mind did. 13,000 mike with the new compensator and no starting problems. Took HD only two years to fix it...
Bill

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 12:35:15 PM »

"normal" clacking, crunching metallic sounds.  You could hear the spring pack in mine dislodging itself when it was cold....got "normal" for the local idgit shack unitl they7 got clearance for HD...then had the friggin balls to offer only partial coverage...clucksticks..... I am happy with the -8.....8A will have to wait.

:drink:

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 09:15:07 PM »

What are the warning signs of a compensator failure?

Mine backfired, almost like an explosion, every 8 starts or so. It was ugly when I inspected it, mostly bad teeth wear & cam lobes. Since the time I replaced it, no backfiring at all.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 20 queries.