Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: I-pod Problem?  (Read 14069 times)

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
  • Ride Hard Or Stay Home!
    • LA

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTS
I-pod Problem?
« on: February 11, 2012, 10:57:49 PM »

I am having problems when playing the I-pod on my 2011 FLTRUSE.  While riding, the I-pod will just completely cut out.  My dealer first changed the radio.   That didn't help!  Today, they changed the module that lets the radio know which electronic signal to play, i.e. FM, AM, WB, or I-pod.  Worked great at the dealership!  In the first 10 miles after leaving the dealership, the radio stopped playing the I-pod numerous times.  My dealer is going to contact H-D techinal support this week to see if the MoCo has had this problem with other touring bikes.  I have tried multiple I-pods with the same results.  Has anyone else had a similar problem?  If so, what was the solution?  Your help will certainly be appreciated!
Remember, you have to care where you are to be lost.  Enjoy the ride!

Winhawk

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 Rio Red FLTRUSE (Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 Autumn Haze and Carbon Dust FLTRUSE
Re: I-pod Problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 11:51:13 PM »

Have them check the cable as well as the docking hardware to the iPod.  Mine was doing something similar and the docking hardware was broken. I have no idea how that happened as I never disconnect the iPod.

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »

Thanks Winhawk.  I appreciate your feedback!

roadrydr

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE (Charcoal Slate and Black Twilight)
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »

Check the connection that unplugs when you remove the right side saddlebag. I Had the same problem. intermittent on/off Ipod operation. The wire on the bike side of the connection split had a short. It would work alright for awhile then all of a sudden stop working until that wire was "wiggled" and ipod would resume working. Dealer has yet to repair it as the problem was identified just before going into storage.
"If I only knew THEN what I know NOW ..."

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 01:40:32 AM »

Count me in. Mine started cutting out soon after I got the bike. Strange that it played normally when I was parked. I have the dealer checking the ipod connector, as the housing was loose.

rlede84178

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 05:47:42 PM »

Me as well, it seems to work sitting at the dealership, but a mile down the road I get the message "iPod Not Respond". The quick disconnect may be the culprit, wiggle it and the system goes to the error message. Wiggle it again and the system seems to work until the bike vibrates, then off it goes again. Going in this Friday for service, we'll see what the dealership can come up with.

Winhawk

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 11:59:34 PM »

I get the message "iPod Not Respond".
That is what mine did and they replaced the part that connects directly to the iPod. It took care of the problem. 

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 10:34:05 PM »

Thanks to all of you for your help!  There is definitely a common response here which I have passed on to my dealership.  I will let you know if they solve the problem.  Going on a long road trip this weekend so I will have plenty of time to make sure it works!  I believe you have provided the solution to my problem.  Thanks again for your input!

The knee

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 07:57:35 PM »

Do you check your iPod mode ? They have a mode that if you shake it it change song alone......

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »

Yes, I'm familiar with shake mode to change songs.  That isn't the problem but thanks for your input.  I picked up my bike from the dealership late today thinking the problem was solved.  It worked until I left the parking lot.  As soon as I hit the street, it stated cutting out again.  My dealership is determined to solve the problem but it is still a work in progress.  Next step is to contact the MoCo's technical services department again tomorrow.  After that it's on to the district H-D rep.  It has become a challenge now! 

jbd6703

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 01:41:08 PM »

I had the same issues and they replaced out the entire ipod interface connect cable and it fixed the issue.

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 02:04:16 PM »

a year and a half later and mine has started with the problem of not starting after parking for a bit have to disconnect ipod and reconnect then works good for a few weeks  same problrm I had when bike was new
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 12:13:21 PM »

Took my saddlebag off yesterday and now it says ipod not found... it briefly plays from the ipod but looks like I have a similar problem with a wire in the connector like some of you.....

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 09:29:31 PM »

Since making my initial post on this issue, we have continued testing and trying different things we thought could be the problem.  My dealership, Harley-Davidson Baton Rouge, is determined to solve the problem.  They recently contacted Techical Services at the MoCo.  We have determined at least part of the problem is related to the audio output of the GPS.  I typically keep the sound turned off on my GPS.  I like to just read directions and not have the GPS interrupt my music.  However, we have confirmed the iPod cuts off every time the GPS would be giving audio directions if the GPS was set to provide voice directions.  To solve the problem, according to the MoCo, there is a module behind the fairing that cuts the audio from the iPod off when the GPS gives audio directions.  Tomorrow, we are going to install a new module.  I will post to let everyone know if this works.  Planning a long ride on Sunday so I'll have plenty of time to check it out!  Ride safe!

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 08:05:21 AM »

mine as well has stopped working  but if i turn i pod on mannual it will play thru the speakers but have no control of it  thru the radio
2009 ultra black
1962 impala 409/ 4 speed /posi rear/ 2 4 barrels

Winhawk

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 11:18:37 AM »

Is that the NIM that they are replacing?

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 09:42:01 PM »

I'm not sure what an "NIM" is but what they replaced is a small black module that fits inside the fairing.  It is about the size of a credit card but about 1/4" thick.  It has a quick disconnect and a coax type cable coming out of it.  From what I understand, this unit tells the audio output what system to play, i.e. radio, iPod, etc.  I rode 80 miles home from my dealer yesterday and everything worked perfectly!  This morning, I went to ride again and "Nothing"!  No music, no voice directions from the GPS, no intercom and now it seems like my iPod itself has died.  I have it plugged into my PC right now and it won't even show being charged.  I think it's "dead"!  I plugged in another iPod when I got home this evening and at least the iPod worked and music played like it is supposed to!  I'm going to have to try again to see if the second iPod solves the other problems.  I'm plenty old enough to remember when motorcycles didn't have iPods or radios.  I think we were all better off then!  Ride safe!

Winhawk

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 09:54:02 AM »

The NIM is the navigation interface module. There were problems with the first generation.  The Moco seems to have remedied the problem. Sorry about the dead iPod. Apple or Harley should replace under warranty.

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 01:28:07 PM »

We have several long threads going on in the Electronics thread about this.  Some have been successful by replacing parts of the IPOD interface, Head Units, etc.  

It really appears to be a bug between HK Head Unit and the IPOD.  It has been driving all of us nuts with brand new SESG3's.  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=70413.0
Keep having your dealership drive MoCo nuts about this problem.  Maybe they can direct HK to fix it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:32:29 PM by Possum »
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 02:50:09 AM »

I've had the same problem with my iPod since Day 1.  Lots of discussion, but the bottom line is that if any of you have a problem, head to your dealer and have them look at it.  If it happens again, go back. H-D, HK, and everyone else can point fingers at the other guy, but the bottom line is that we, as customers, need to make the MoCo painfuly (and financially, in terms of Service Time) that they have a problem. 

LTbawb

• Battalion Chief : retired
  • Junior CVO Member
  • "NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED"
    • NJ

• CVO1: '05 CANDY TEAL 2 TONE SEEG
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Granite/ Black SERGU
    • CVO3: Hmmmm?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 12:23:01 PM »

I also have this cutting out issue, but mine does not seem related to GPS audio output since it's been doing since before I used voice on GPS. Dealer on trip replaced the connector, few hundred miles later it"s doing it again. There is no apparent pattern leading up to the audio dropping while riding. Smooth surface etc. Any feed back appreciated.
I also have that dangerous low speed serious handlebar wobble, WOW It's scary & dealer has no explaination.!
Thanks & Many Safe Miles,
Bob

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 10:47:33 PM »

Bob,

I started this thread and have not yet been able to resolve my iPod issue but I have not given up either.  It has become a challenge now!  I am bringing my RG back to my dealer on Saturday.  They have been talking to Technical Services at the MoCo and have some new ideas to check out.  H-D is well aware of the problem!

Regarding your front wheel wobble, that is much easier to fix.  I had the same problem as has others on this site.  The problem is the torque, or lack thereof, of the neck bearings.  The torque setting the factory puts on the neck bearings does not allow for the bearings seating in once the bike is put on the road.  I had my dealer check the neck bearings.  They found them very loose which is what was causing my wobble at deceleration.  After they tightened the neck bolt, I have not had any more wobble!  It's a simple fix and should be covered by your warranty.  Mine was.

Ride Hard! Ride Safe!

Rock

Laconia

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 05:26:46 PM »

I've owned two of the 2011's, lost one with hurricane Irene in the North East, long story, put out a dealer search and got another exactly like the one I lost, both of them had iPod issues, the first they replaced the wire in the bag which helped but both the first and the second, when it happened / happens I shut the iPod down and listen to the radio for a few miles then end up reprogramming it by going through the play list, and resetting my top picks / shuffle etc - it then starts to work and will continue for several weeks without an issue.  Both of them acted exactly the same, at this point I would not bet on the cable being faulty on the first one.  I too would be leaning towards the "NIM".  It will be interesting to see what the MoCo comes up with......

As far as the iPod stopping, almost sounds like it received a charge, my want to check the wiring and confirm they have not charged a wire by chaffing etc, that is a speaker or control........

Appreciate the time you take to keep us updated.......
2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 10:15:38 PM »

Since my last post, I returned to Harley Davidson of Baton Rouge to see what the MoCo had come up with to correct my i-Pod issue.  What they wanted to do was have me remove the on board GPS from the bike so no interference could occur.  We did this and the i-Pod worked.  Thought the problem was solved until on my way home the i-Pod quit again.  This time it was dead, totally dead!  The i-Pod is supposed to be charging while in the docking station on the bike.  The problem was not lack of charge.  The unit was, in fact, dead.  I replaced it with an Apple i-Touch I use frequently and everything worked like it is designed to!  I then called HDBR to see what to do to get the CVO i-Pod replaced.  They contacted the MoCo to find out the original i-Pod is under warranty by Apple so the unit has to go back to an Apple store.  HDBR's Service Manager, Sam Bourque, offered to take the unit to Apple for me but I thought I had put Sam through enough headache to fix this problem already.  I haven't taken the unit to Apple yet but the i-Touch is still working.  As soon as I see what has to be done to have the CVO i-Pod replaced under warranty, I will post to let everyone know.  I believe replacing the NIM is what fixed my problem.  I also think the i-Pod going dead was just a coincedence.  I hope I'm right!

Ride Hard, Ride Safe!

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 05:46:05 PM »

Did you ever get the original iPod replaced by Apple? If so, is it working okay now?

Thank you!

Rob

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 08:42:04 PM »

Did you ever get the original iPod replaced by Apple? If so, is it working okay now?

No Rob, I have not replaced the original I-pod that came with my RG.  I still need to do that.  However, I'm still using my I-touch and it works just fine!  Have been on several long rides and no problem at all with the I-touch working like it is supposed to.  I really don't think my problem was the I-pod unit.  IMO, I believe it was the NIM.  After my dealer replaced that part, it has worked every time!  I have to give credit to Harley-Davidson Baton Rouge.  They kept working at it until the problem was solved and I was satisfied.  I have always gotten exceptional service from HDBR.  It's hard to understand some of the problems I read on this forum other riders have with their dealers.  I've always received exceptional service at mine.  I have three other dealers closer to my home but I will continue to buy where I get great service!   I work in New Orleans but would not buy a quart of oil from New Orleans Harley Davidson!  Having said that, I guess I can understand why some folks don't get good service from their dealers.  I'm just fortunate to have a good dealer to go to!  Ride safe!

hdguy1

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »

Have them check the cable as well as the docking hardware to the iPod.  Mine was doing something similar and the docking hardware was broken. I have no idea how that happened as I never disconnect the iPod.

X2
Vance & Hines Monster Ovals, Power Duals, FP3 Tuner

Glenncarp

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 11:10:34 PM »

Yes, I'm familiar with shake mode to change songs.  That isn't the problem but thanks for your input.  I picked up my bike from the dealership late today thinking the problem was solved.  It worked until I left the parking lot.  As soon as I hit the street, it stated cutting out again.  My dealership is determined to solve the problem but it is still a work in progress.  Next step is to contact the MoCo's technical services department again tomorrow.  After that it's on to the district H-D rep.  It has become a challenge now! 

Might be a stupid question, but is your GPS on when it cuts out? had my Zummo 660 replaced twice and the second time I installed the replaced unit I had the speaker switch in the middle and the GPS on mute (hate voice interrupting my music) Since the GPS was muted, but speaker switch was on, the GPS voice cut off the music even though the GPS volume was on mute.

See above, stupid question, but it took me 4 "what the f@%&s" and 5 stops for the bulb in my head to light up.  :P

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 10:25:01 AM »

Might be a stupid question, but is your GPS on when it cuts out? had my Zummo 660 replaced twice and the second time I installed the replaced unit I had the speaker switch in the middle and the GPS on mute (hate voice interrupting my music) Since the GPS was muted, but speaker switch was on, the GPS voice cut off the music even though the GPS volume was on mute.

See above, stupid question, but it took me 4 "what the f@%&s" and 5 stops for the bulb in my head to light up.  :P

IMO, that's not a stupid question!  I understand exactly what you are talking about.  I too don't like the GPS interrupting my music so I typically have the GPS set to mute.  I prefer to just read directions on the GPS.  Early on, my dealer and I checked this to make sure it wasn't causing my problem.  I even removed the GPS entirely but my music while riding continued cutting out with the GPS at home.  My dealer replaced the Navigation Interface Module and that corrected the problem, at least on my RGU.  I'm still using an i-Pod touch that I use in other vehicles.  The i-Pod that came with my FLTRUSE quit working about the same time I was having the problem with my music cutting out.  Mine has worked just fine since the NIM was replaced.  Thanks for your input.  Ride safe!

Goose

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 10:39:39 AM »

2013 SERGC here with the same issue. I don't have GPS so it's not related to the NIM issue as far as I can tell. I guess it's earbuds until someone comes ip with an answer.

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 11:03:01 AM »

2013 SERGC here with the same issue. I don't have GPS so it's not related to the NIM issue as far as I can tell. I guess it's earbuds until someone comes ip with an answer.

Goose, make sure you check your docking cable in the saddlebag.  The short cable that connects to the i-Pod disconnects behind your saddlebag to be able to remove the bags.  Make sure you have a good connection on both ends.  Some folks have found the docking cable to be the problem and simply replaced the cable.  Also, I use 2 rubber bands to keep my i-Pod Touch securely plugged into my docking cable.  Ever since my dealer changed the NIM, my i-Pod has been working just fine.  Do you have intercom?  That could also have an affect on your music.  Whatever you do, don't give up.  It took me a few tries but we finally got mine working as it should.  Good luck!  Hey, and congrats on that '13 SERGC.  That's a sweet ride! 

ffltjeff

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »

NIM seems to be a common issue on here.  I just had mine replaced on my 13 CVO Ultra, dealer said it was the first one he has seen that was  bad in a long time (lucky me).  Voice prompt from GPS was not coming through the speakers, Ipod worked fine.  Dealer replaced NIM and all is well now, except voice prompt interrupts my tunes now  :-\  I know it will drive me nuts this summer when we start touring.  I will need to find mute button.   
2013 FLHTCUSE8
V&H Power Duals, V&H Monster Ovals, SERT
Progressive 444 shocks, Progressive Cartridge Fork Kit
Windsplitter windshield

Goose

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »

Thanks Rock N Roll. I appreciate the tips and encouragement. The 2012 SERG Custom doesn't have intercom or Nav so I'm pretty sure there isn't a NIM to be the problem so I'll approach it from the connector side of the equation and see where that leads me. I had the faulty NIM on my 2011 FLHTK and finally just by-passed it.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 11:40:59 AM »

NIM seems to be a common issue on here.  I just had mine replaced on my 13 CVO Ultra, dealer said it was the first one he has seen that was  bad in a long time (lucky me).  Voice prompt from GPS was not coming through the speakers, Ipod worked fine.  Dealer replaced NIM and all is well now, except voice prompt interrupts my tunes now  :-\  I know it will drive me nuts this summer when we start touring.  I will need to find mute button.

You can disable voice prompts on the GPS.  In the settings menu I think.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ffltjeff

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »

Thanks Ultrafxr I will check that out.  Goose I hope it is just the connecter that is causing your issues.  These kind of problems with a new ride can drive a person nuts.
2013 FLHTCUSE8
V&H Power Duals, V&H Monster Ovals, SERT
Progressive 444 shocks, Progressive Cartridge Fork Kit
Windsplitter windshield

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 02:56:30 PM »

Goose, there is a "Mute" button in your GPS settings that will shut off all sound coming from the unit.  However, keep in mind, even with the GPS sound turned off, the GPS cuts off your music if you have it (GPS) set up to give voice prompts over music.  Make sure this is not causing your problem.  Easiest way to do it is to leave the GPS at home, go for a ride and see if your music still cuts out.  If it does, the GPS is not the problem.  Good luck & Ride safe!

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 08:19:30 PM »

I have the same problem--ipod cuts out while I'm riding.  Works fine when the bike is off, so I decided to live with it as is. Might look into it once the weather warms up and I start logging miles.  My guess is that the MoCo hasn't quite beat the gremlins in this one.

HDultraDad

• Full CVO Member
  • '12 CVO SE Ultra

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2013, 10:02:22 PM »

Rock n roll, glad it worked out and folks are getting the info on the possible problems.  It looks like the (3) possible issues from reading the threads: 1) cable docking at the iPod, 2) the cable itself, or 3) the NIM or iPod interface.   Mine just went out 2 days ago and will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow.  No signs of an issue: just stopped working...well after I had the bags off on a good cleaning.   

Rock n roll, I wonder if my H-D dealer is part of the BR group.  I'm in NC and the dealer is Smokin' H-D.  They have 2 sister stores in LA, one in Cool Springs, TN and another in Chicago.
SE Race Tuner,
CFR's,
Blacked out Day Maker LED's,
A couple of other upgrades,
What else is needed on a CVO?  Just knees in the breeze!

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2013, 11:35:37 PM »

HDultraDad, check your connects to your saddlebag.  Since you took the bags off to clean the bike, you might just have a loose connection.  It's possible especially since you weren't having problems before.  I always remove my bags too but I make sure I check the connections!  Mine is still working.  My only problem has been finding time to ride lately.  Work keeps getting in the way!

In response to your dealership question, I know I have always been a  big fan of my dealership in Baton Rouge.  However, almost a year ago, the dealership was sold along with another dealership the same Owner had in Hammond, Louisiana.  It is quite possible your dealership in NC could be the same ownership group since a group bought both Hammond and Baton Rouge in one purchase.  From what I was told, the group that bought Harley Davidson of Baton Rouge and Hammond HD is a group that owns quite a few dealerships around the country.   I have not been to the dealership much since the previous owner sold both dealerships.  There was quite a lot of personnel change.  I had made friends and riding buddies with several of the previous employees.  We still ride together but going to the dealership is just not the same.  I'm very old school and some things just should not change!  Although we have some great riding here in South Louisiana, your home state of NC is my favorite place to ride!  Ride safe!

HDultraDad

• Full CVO Member
  • '12 CVO SE Ultra

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2013, 07:10:42 AM »

R n' R,  yeah, I tried the connection over and over.  The only issue is the plug does not securely latch both side of the ipod.  Even if I hold it firmly in the ipod the only thing I can get is the music and volume control (which is what many have stated here).  Thanks for the suggestion though. 

On the dealership change... on my end it was a good thing the old was gone and the new has come.  The old owners didn't have the draw of good mechanics, parts, bikes, ETC.  The new ones have put money in it and just was named in the top 100 powersport dealers in the Country.  That's out of 15,000 powersport dealers.  They have the most bikes in NC as well.  I guess it can go both ways.  Let's just hope they don't screw up a good thing they have started.
SE Race Tuner,
CFR's,
Blacked out Day Maker LED's,
A couple of other upgrades,
What else is needed on a CVO?  Just knees in the breeze!

huggy33

• Candy-OH!

• CVO1: FLHRSE3 - Candy Cobalt
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2014, 01:12:45 PM »

I just bought a used 2011 FLTRUSE that did not come with the nano ipod. I plugged my ipod classic in, but nothing came up on audio menu. Can you use any ipod device with this bike? I see the owners manual says not to a use an ipod classic l (should have read that first! ) . THANKS!
Not only is it the Journey,
It's the Destination as well!
     ENJOY IT ALL!!!

ebbjet@verizon.net  o/vO=

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2014, 02:24:41 PM »

I just bought a used 2011 FLTRUSE that did not come with the nano ipod. I plugged my ipod classic in, but nothing came up on audio menu. Can you use any ipod device with this bike? I see the owners manual says not to a use an ipod classic l (should have read that first! ) . THANKS!
Mine stayed with the original owner also. I picked up a nano and use it in mine without problems.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

huggy33

• Candy-OH!

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2014, 06:24:27 PM »

What generation/GB nano did you install? Thanks for the quick response. The original nano that was with the bike was an 8gb 4th gen. I bought a brand new 16gb nano, but the connecting port/plug is smaller.
     ENJOY IT ALL!!!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2014, 07:01:22 PM »

What generation/GB nano did you install? Thanks for the quick response. The original nano that was with the bike was an 8gb 4th gen. I bought a brand new 16gb nano, but the connecting port/plug is smaller.
Honestly don't know. I bought it about 2 1/2 years ago when I got the bike. If you're an Apple type guy, you might be able to figure out the generation part of it.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »

You new nano uses the new style apple lightning connector, which has been about about two years.  The iPod that the CVO's came with through 13 have the 30 pin connector.

My CVO King has the same plug as your 11 CVO RGU.  Apple makes an adapter that will let you connect the new style to the old style.  I use a 32 Gig full size iPod with the lightning connector and the adapter in My King.  It also works with the new 64 Gig iPhone 6.

So you can use any of the new iPods with an adapter.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

huggy33

• Candy-OH!

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »

I appreciate all the help guys. Yeah, I plugged my old iPod into the 30 pin connector... nothing displays on the radio. Same results with the brand new iPod nano with the lightning/30 pin adapter. Looks like I have to start chasing wires. If you can think of anything that I am not doing correctly, please let me know. I'll have to spend some time this week/weekend, chasing the cable down until it disappears into the fairing. I called my local HD, they told me to plug in a few different devices and see if anything comes up; if nothing happens, cable change/wiring harne$$. From what I was reading in previous posts, it could be the NIM too. Thanks again!
     ENJOY IT ALL!!!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2014, 09:34:19 AM »

Just a thought on this,, check to make sure the iPod harness from the saddle bag to the wiring going to the head unit is plugged in. It might have gotten unplugged when the saddle bags were off and never plug back in.

huggy33

• Candy-OH!

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2014, 01:10:20 PM »

Already checked that connection, cleaned the connector, still no help. Gunna take the seat off and check the wiring further. Thanks!
     ENJOY IT ALL!!!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2014, 09:35:58 PM »

You old classic may or may not work.  It has a hard drive, not flash memory.

When you plug any of them in, do you get a choice for iPod on the head unit?  If no, that means its not even seeing it at all.  You may have to check all connections, including those in the fairing.

huggy33

• Candy-OH!

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2014, 10:12:29 PM »

It was a newer iPod and a brand new nano. No, nothing comes up on the head unit. I even plugged in an iPhone! Anyhow, I am going to take off the seat this weekend and start from there. Thanks for the help! You must have a huge garage!
     ENJOY IT ALL!!!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2014, 08:06:24 PM »

It was a newer iPod and a brand new nano. No, nothing comes up on the head unit. I even plugged in an iPhone! Anyhow, I am going to take off the seat this weekend and start from there. Thanks for the help! You must have a huge garage!

There is not much under the seat that I am aware of.  I have had four bikes now with this iPod set up.  There is the plug in the bag, the plug out side the bag.  Then if I remember right it goes under the seat, and under the tank in the big plastic run for cables up to the fairing.  I believe the next plugs are the NIM or Head Unit.

My garage is 25 wide, with one stall 23 deep and the other is 30 deep.  In it are one car and five bikes.

huggy33

• Candy-OH!

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2014, 09:45:21 PM »

Thanks for the info. The 30 pin connector in the saddlebag seems fine, as does the connector outside the bag. This is my first bike with a fairing; hate to tear into this thing for the iPod, but I want it to work. I also don't want to pay HD $1,000 in labor plus parts either!
     ENJOY IT ALL!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 21 queries.