Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All

Author Topic: FINALLY! LED Lights for the SERGC  (Read 27254 times)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Re: FINALLY! LED Lights for the SERGC
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »

:cherry:
Per info I got last year,  here is the company that makes the full size LED headlights and passing lights for Harley D.   I would presume that they are also making the smaller ones that now fit the SERGC as well.

http://www.jwspeaker.com/other/led-headlamps

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »

I had asked above what justification there might be for spending $700 (or $560 if you get the 20%) for LED's over the HID's which cost about $118 (Xenonlink.com and others).  I assumed there was a significant difference in electrical current draw with the LED's having the advantage.   Apparently not. 

The JWSpeaker website mentioned by moscooter above has some good information here:  10 Reasons to Upgrade Your Headlights to LED.  They are trying to convince you to go with LED's, of course. 

That link is a PDF showing a comparison of LED, HID, Halogen and Incandescent lights.  It claims LED current draw is only about 30% less than HID's which are very efficient compared to Halogen or incandescent lights.  The only other significant, claimed advantage is in color.  JW says their LED's are 7,500 in color.  My HID's are 6,000 but no one who looks can see a discernible difference.  I spoke with Mary in sales at JW.  They are prohibited by their contract with HD from marketing their own brand.  They have, however, dealers marketing 7" and 4.5" round LED's which would fit the CVO Ultra.... 

At Street Vibrations, I spoke with the reps from Kuryakyn about LED headlights for the Road Glide.  They are awaiting DOT approval.  The cost should compare to what they have already done for the Ultra, about 60% of HD cost. 

Last week, I rode with Treeman from Mariposa, CA to Miller's Landing (Bass Lake) in the dark.  Treeman has an Ultra Limited with LED head and passing lamps.  It was about 50 miles on very dark, winding roads.  On the road, neither of us could discern any lumen difference between his three LED's and my two HID's.  My beam pattern was wider but that could have been due to how his were adjusted.... 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2012, 07:37:12 PM »

I had asked above what justification there might be for spending $700 (or $560 if you get the 20%) for LED's over the HID's which cost about $118 (Xenonlink.com and others).  I assumed there was a significant difference in electrical current draw with the LED's having the advantage.   Apparently not. 

The JWSpeaker website mentioned by moscooter above has some good information here:  10 Reasons to Upgrade Your Headlights to LED.  They are trying to convince you to go with LED's, of course. 

That link is a PDF showing a comparison of LED, HID, Halogen and Incandescent lights.  It claims LED current draw is only about 30% less than HID's which are very efficient compared to Halogen or incandescent lights.  The only other significant, claimed advantage is in color.  JW says their LED's are 7,500 in color.  My HID's are 6,000 but no one who looks can see a discernible difference.  I spoke with Mary in sales at JW.  They are prohibited by their contract with HD from marketing their own brand.  They have, however, dealers marketing 7" and 4.5" round LED's which would fit the CVO Ultra.... 

At Street Vibrations, I spoke with the reps from Kuryakyn about LED headlights for the Road Glide.  They are awaiting DOT approval.  The cost should compare to what they have already done for the Ultra, about 60% of HD cost. 

Last week, I rode with Treeman from Mariposa, CA to Miller's Landing (Bass Lake) in the dark.  Treeman has an Ultra Limited with LED head and passing lamps.  It was about 50 miles on very dark, winding roads.  On the road, neither of us could discern any lumen difference between his three LED's and my two HID's.  My beam pattern was wider but that could have been due to how his were adjusted.... 

I'm glad you got all that off your chest Greg.
Maybe now you will feel better about not having LED's.
It's your money and only you can justify how, why or what you spend it on.
I usually buy what I like, be it in this case any of the LED Harley lights, the LED Motolights or the LED Custom Dynamics lights.
I trust that most people do the same.
Good luck with your bike!

;)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2012, 07:40:41 PM »

This is just one of those threads that only comes along every so often. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :2vrolijk_21:

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »

My concerns are in the post.  
The manager made it clear that these are the same lights...  
(They are just now made to fit the RG.)
I am curious about the issues he spoke of and if anyone is experience the same... on a RG.
Thanks

Chip? You been in a tunnel or near a road sign at night? Can you answer this?

Rob

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »

This is just one of those threads that only comes along every so often. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :2vrolijk_21:

Ain't that the truth. ;)

I think I'll just keep my stock lights along w/my stock hinges so everyone can get back to giving me the bizzness like normal. :D :D :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 R-Glide Orange & Black
    • CVO2: 2006 V-Rod Orange & Black
    • CVO3: 2006 V- Rod Destroyer Orange & Black
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2012, 08:27:29 PM »

Who cares about those lights...
 I never ride at night, too many skunks on the road.
Letz Ride

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2012, 08:34:27 PM »

Who cares about those lights...
 I never ride at night, too many skunks on the road.

OMG No.
They have 2012 SERGC skunks in Texas?
Say it isn't so.

:nervous:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2012, 08:46:39 PM »

:P      :2vrolijk_20:     :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2012, 01:30:59 AM »

Mos, that's why I was asking.  I had not heard of anything concerning that either when it came to headlights (or LED TV's) but I do know the LED sign lights vs neon lighting is correct as my friend almost had to close his shop.  Then, things turned around as the LED issues started and he's now as busy as ever.  As Mid. Rider stated, it may be something as simple as the UV protection (or lack of) for the LED sign lighting vs the glass enclosure made for the neon.  As we can all see either in the pictures or in person, the headlights are pretty well protected from any UV issues which is a good thing.  I was just curious if anyone had seen any issues with diming and looks like from the reponses that answer would be "no".  Good to know before spending $200 or more on a headlight... :2vrolijk_21:

My bet is it has nothing to do with the LEDs deteriorating; more likely it is buyers remorse... neon is just plain cool and given the choice to have an LED sign or a neon sign, it's no comparison. Let our grandkids' kids deal with the consequences of the extra power usage... bring on the NEON!!  :bananarock:

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2012, 01:39:59 AM »

n the road, neither of us could discern any lumen difference between his three LED's and my two HID's.  My beam pattern was wider but that could have been due to how his were adjusted.... 

Biggest problem I've found with aftermarket HID installation (4 vehicles/3 bikes) is the housings and reflectors are not made for HID, so the light pattern they throw is too bright, no matter how you adjust them. In every vehicle I've done this to, even with the lights cranked as low as they'll go, I get flashed (and not in the good way lol) often. Especially when I throw mama on the back of the bike (no "do these HIDs make my ass look big jokes please... lol).

Given the choice of an ill-fitting aftermarket option or a plug & play option designed for the bike, it makes more sense to me to go with the complete solution. If there was an HID housing available for my trucks or bikes, I'd go with that option. From the feedback I've heard about the LED option, it sounds like the way to go. Is the price outrageous in true HD fashion, yes. But I'll get a whole lot more use out of my LED headlights than the chrome passenger floorboards I put on the bike, and they were damn near this much.

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »

For what it is worth: Just installed the LED's, so here goes. These things are very bright with a sharp horizontal cutoff on low. The high added a very focussed (spot pattern) to the low pattern with limited illumination of raised highway signs. (simular to H-D HID style). They are not white(5000K), but blue (7500K) and will make white LED's look yellow by comparison. Baja Designs make a twin LED add on light that combines a spot and a driving light in one housing that really fills in the areas the H-D don't get and lights up overhead! (I already had them installed on the engine guards). Talk about a wall of light! Combined cost is high, About 1K, but will make it like driving in daylight. If you cannot see with this setup, you do not need to be riding at night, or probably any other time either :'(!
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2012, 10:58:07 AM »

I'm digging these turn signal lights!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2012, 11:57:06 AM »

I'm digging these turn signal lights!

Rob...Custom Dynamics:  Dynamic Ringz, part number GEN200-AW-1157   http://www.customdynamics.com/harley_turn_signal_retro.htm    You can also get the solid amber turn signals for the rear and any kind of LED tailight of your choosing.

I put all that on my bike this past March.  If you buy it all together, you get a price break and the give you the load equalizer.  I got the Ringz, rear turn signals, Smoke LED Laydown w/window tailight, load equalizer, and Magic Strobe which gives the tailight 10 different settings for flashing patterns when applying the brakes.  Makes a huge difference in visibility, front and rear.  It's all plug and play...the load equalizer and Magic Strobe mount in the area under the seat where the ECM is located with double sided tape.  A few wire ties and you're done.  Custom Dynamics has great customer service as well...great people to do business with.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »

Thanks Terry! Chip actually sent me the info on these as well. Even if I end up staying with the PIAA's for a while, I think these would be a most welcomed addition!

Thank you very much for the input/info on the package deal with the rear! I didn't know about those. If I don't see you before, I hope to see you at Ribfest in May 2013!! Always a pleasure... :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 22 queries.