Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Author Topic: FINALLY! LED Lights for the SERGC  (Read 27239 times)

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
Re: FINALLY! LED Lights for the SERGC
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2012, 11:20:01 AM »

As promised , here is the printed instructions, at least the two pages that matter.

I stopped by the dealership on my way to work this morning.  I was surprised they had a set on the shelf for sale.  I was also surprised that at 10:10 the store was busy based on all the uncertainty and chit happening right now?  Anyway, I was talking to the guy there and so you know, they want 2.5 hours at $85 an hour to install the lights.  He tried to make it seem as complicated as possible saying that you have to drill into the fairing for the support bracket and if you screw it up it will cost you a fairing ;) nice pitch!  If you can't drill 3 holes into resin plastic without screwing it up you should probably put training wheels on your  bike too?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2012, 12:06:28 PM »

As promised , here is the printed instructions, at least the two pages that matter.

OK...got it.  I had not noticed that the actual headlamps were a different shape than stock, so would need a different mounting bracket.  I think I'll just stick with my HID's and "save" $500.

I can't imagine why somebody can't design a LED replacement lamp for the RG that uses the round shaped lamp to make it truly plug and play.   :nixweiss:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2012, 04:44:56 PM »

OK...got it.  I had not noticed that the actual headlamps were a different shape than stock, so would need a different mounting bracket.  I think I'll just stick with my HID's and "save" $500.

I can't imagine why somebody can't design a LED replacement lamp for the RG that uses the round shaped lamp to make it truly plug and play.   :nixweiss:

i agree

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2012, 11:02:54 PM »

I bet this person did not install the bracket, that will cause the screws to be to reach longer into the faring.

Agreed! I know HD isn't perfect, but I'm betting they'd probably get the screw size right if it was somethign that wasn't going to fit.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2012, 09:52:09 AM »

Great Job!  Thanks for the time saving instructions and the great pictures!  Save others time when they decide to tear into the project.  Winter is too close, I'm going to wait until after the first of the year when snow is on the ground.  I call it winter therapy, work on the scoot during winter, helps look forward to spring.  I'm going to install the day makers in black and add CFR cans to my fullsac head pipes and sell the stock cans with the 2.25 cores.  I absolutely love the sound of the CFR mufflers, I don't race my bike from stop light to stop light, I have the 30t pulley, the performance loss is not a big deal.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2012, 06:55:30 PM »

great job!i never take my bike to the dealer unless it is warrenty work.buy a harley shop manual and do it yourself.

Glenncarp

« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2012, 07:29:31 PM »

I am perplexed that there are 11 pages regarding this topic with all the topics addressing HID lights on this forum,

So let me make sure I am understanding this:
New HD daymakers are $699 to purchase, you need to add a bracket for the added weight and you need to replace the stock bezel with a flimsier one.

I bought 6000 W HID lights (Whitest light before they turn blue) for $49 each. Popped off stock bezel and used Velcro to attach ballasts to inside of fairing next to each light.

Yep, no cool lit HD in center of the lights, but for a grand total of $100, the HID lights light up the road and road signs a mile down range.

Still don't get it!  ;D

Glenncarp

« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2012, 10:26:14 PM »

I am amazed how people in this blog criticizes others for their freedom of choice. Thank God I live in a country where there are so many choices.
It comes down to this:

1.- How happy you are with the results of your mods/installation .
2.- Budget/disposable income. Very important but if I'd care so much about that I will not be buying a $36,000 bike
3.- There is noway a bulb change will have the same cosmetic impact on the bike as the HD LEDs have.
4.- Pretty sure they will work at night way better than the stock lights I used for two years , waiting on something that I really like.

By the way , just came back from Disney  world , went with my family and grandparents , spent double what the lights cost . No regrets either.

:furious2: :behead: :zwtf:

Criticizing? I read all 11 pages and I saw comments, questions. opinions and thoughts. Nowhere did I read a criticism for installing the new lights.

Prior to HD having the daylighter lights, I read EVERY post on this great forum regarding HID headlights. That is what this form is about. If we all read a post and only commented on how great and informative it was, this forum would be boring and useless. Some like the looks of the Daylighters, I personally do not.

Amen to the freedom in this country to choose what we want and to also be able to voice an opinion if we do not like something or have a different/better idea and want those interested to read it!

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2012, 10:48:35 PM »

I am amazed how people in this blog criticizes others for their freedom of choice. Thank God I live in a country where there are so many choices.
It comes down to this:

1.- How happy you are with the results of your mods/installation .
2.- Budget/disposable income. Very important but if I'd care so much about that I will not be buying a $36,000 bike
3.- There is noway a bulb change will have the same cosmetic impact on the bike as the HD LEDs have.
4.- Pretty sure they will work at night way better than the stock lights I used for two years , waiting on something that I really like.

By the way , just came back from Disney  world , went with my family and grandparents , spent double what the lights cost . No regrets either.

:furious2: :behead: :zwtf:

everybody has a different view about spending money.yes everyone here spent over 35k for their bikes and did not mind because they preceived they were getting value for their money.and we all know HD stands for "hundred dollars" when you want to buy something.but some people including myself believes that $700 plus tax for 2 headlights is just plain greedy robbery period.i have a saying that when i buy something no matter what the cost,"i do not mind paying for something i want,i do not like overpaying".nice bike great job on the install and pictorial.

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2012, 11:20:56 PM »

I bought 6000 W HID lights (Whitest light before they turn blue) for $49 each. Popped off stock bezel and used Velcro to attach ballasts to inside of fairing next to each light.

Yep, no cool lit HD in center of the lights, but for a grand total of $100, the HID lights light up the road and road signs a mile down range.

Still don't get it!  ;D

Might be much cheaper, and I have the same bulbs in my SERG, but pitting HID bulbs in the stock reflectors results in the light scattering everywhere. How often do you get flashed (high beams, not the "good" kind lol)? I get flashed fairly frequently, because even when cranked down to the lowest setting, the light still throws above the normal cutoff and in certain circumstances blinds oncoming traffic. Sure, great for you, but when the guy coming at you can't see and drifts across the center line, maybe not so much. That's why I'll gladly spend the money for the LED system that is designed to A) comply with the law and B) provide effective lighting. Looking cool and the lit HD are just a bonus.

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2012, 11:25:38 PM »

Might be much cheaper, and I have the same bulbs in my SERG, but pitting HID bulbs in the stock reflectors results in the light scattering everywhere. How often do you get flashed (high beams, not the "good" kind lol)? I get flashed fairly frequently, because even when cranked down to the lowest setting, the light still throws above the normal cutoff and in certain circumstances blinds oncoming traffic. Sure, great for you, but when the guy coming at you can't see and drifts across the center line, maybe not so much. That's why I'll gladly spend the money for the LED system that is designed to A) comply with the law and B) provide effective lighting. Looking cool and the lit HD are just a bonus.

i never get flashed with my hids,they are adjusted correctly.try lowering them alittle.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2012, 12:12:36 AM »

After reading a couple of the threads here I had the dealer set up my LED's 1 foot higher at 25 ft for a more efficient light pattern and I rarely get flashed by oncoming traffic. I live in a very rural area which is absolutely pitch black at night and these lights are night and day (pun intended) from the PIAA's I had been running. Setting them up higher works great and IMHO, look amazing on the bike.
Alan

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2012, 10:57:22 AM »

After reading a couple of the threads here I had the dealer set up my LED's 1 foot higher at 25 ft for a more efficient light pattern and I rarely get flashed by oncoming traffic. I live in a very rural area which is absolutely pitch black at night and these lights are night and day (pun intended) from the PIAA's I had been running. Setting them up higher works great and IMHO, look amazing on the bike.

I agree. I installed the PIAA's first trying to save the money, but they do not compare to these LED's. I really like the LED's, form AND functionality. Rarely get that with an "upgrade".

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2012, 11:04:12 AM »

Criticizing? I read all 11 pages and I saw comments, questions. opinions and thoughts. Nowhere did I read a criticism for installing the new lights.

Prior to HD having the daylighter lights, I read EVERY post on this great forum regarding HID headlights. That is what this form is about. If we all read a post and only commented on how great and informative it was, this forum would be boring and useless. Some like the looks of the Daylighters, I personally do not.

Amen to the freedom in this country to choose what we want and to also be able to voice an opinion if we do not like something or have a different/better idea and want those interested to read it!

I think maybe the post before this one where you wer perplexed about all 11 pages... Some folks may have taken that as being facetious and felt as though they were being called "stupid" for spending that kind of money?

Me? I think it's funny when we (me included) balk or poke fun about the money we "saved" on upgrades to a $35,000.00 bike that is way over priced and shouldn't need these upgrades to begin with.

Don't forget....I said me included everyone.

Pile on!  :drink:

Glenncarp

« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2012, 03:53:49 PM »

I was originally annoyed that the HID's did not work on high beam. I have only been flashed once in the year I have been using them. I spoke to my audio shop and they told me that they could add high beams, they actually add HID bulbs that have little motors that move the beam up and down for high/low. I then realized that I do not need this as the low beams are bright enough and I am sure I would get flashed if I had the high beams. I am unsure of the reflector issue as I onlt am able to base my results on the crappy stock lights and the HID's maybe I am missing something better!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Page created in 0.561 seconds with 22 queries.