Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Just what Harley needs: Competition for the Softtails - Honda Fury  (Read 7068 times)

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
Re: Just what Harley needs: Competition for the Softtails - Honda Fury
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2009, 10:44:08 AM »

I started domestic, Hate to be a quiter, trying to keep some faith!! call me old fashioned.
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2009, 10:55:16 AM »

Seriously, it's a nice looking bike for what it is.....clean lines (they can thank HD for that), and they even have a leg up on the finish (no big ugly weld lines, etc. that HD has been known for), it's liquid cooled and they did a good job of hiding that as much as possible and it's shaft drive (for those that like that kind of smoothness) but I don't think it'll appeal to anybody here.

I suspect that the marketing will be geared towards those who really want an HD but can't afford one.  All this coming from the company that fifteen or twenty years ago used to advertise that a V-twin will never be successful.  Go figure......
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 10:57:35 AM »

Rice bike minichopper...I have a headache... :'(

mungam

• Elite CVO Member
  • onepalaj
    • MA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 12:13:59 PM »

:soapbox:
Well I have owned Both a Magna and Still own the VTX.
No matter what you think my stock VTX for 14,200 (with warrenty and special paint) would leave a stock CVO with a 103 behind.  It wasn't until the 110's came out that I had to make sure I stayed with the group.

I spent 4-5k on the VTX trying to turn it into a SEEG. (windshield, bags, highway bars, seat, aux lighting, speaker system....)

No I am not sorry I bought my SEEG.

But to turn the SEEG into my VTX I need to spend another 4-5K.
performance upgrades, better brakes, better audio......WTF.....did I miss something?
Oh right.....if you have to ask you wouldn't understand.
36 states and 7 Canadian provinces.  The VTX never let me down, it never left me stranded.

My VTX was built by Americans in America.
How many parts on HD's come from Mexico or other countries?

I know I am going to get flack for this post......
But the members of this site have always been very kind to me even though I rode what I rode.

I always believed it was the fact that I rode, not what I rode.
We all share the love of the wind in our face and bugs in our teeth.  ;D

Steve

To say another brand will take competition away from Harley, once you get above the price of a high end Sportster, if you want a Harley you'll get a Harley. If someone gets a different bike than Harley, more than likely they were not particular in getting a Harley and looking for the best bang for their buck. The Honda is as nice as a metric "chopper" can be but it is no more a Harley than a Magna, VTX, Virago, Star, Victory, etc...

HD is doing as best as they can offering alternatives to consumers that would just as well buy a non-Harley bike with the various more affordable lines of Sportsters, V-Rods, and entry level Dyna, Softail, & Touring bikes.

If anything, the "competition better watch out everytime a new Harley model is released with a MSRP less than $15,000 to $18,000. I'd get a Nightster or Dyna Bobber before that Honday Fury if I had a choice and on a "fixed budget".
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
Maggie Valley, NC (05, 06, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 19)
New River Gorge (10)
Rib Fest (12, 13, 14)

West Coast
Cripple Creek, CO (06)
Nelson, BC (07)
Sedona, AZ (08)
Hood River, OR (09)
Lake Tahoe, NV (11)
Spokane, WA (12)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 12:22:02 PM »

I have no problems with Honda, but don't like this bike, just looks pretty plain to me. I had a 83 V65, over a 100hp stock, all kinds of nice suspension adjustment. Rode it for 15 years other than routine up keep and things I wanted to add, I probably spent $200 on maintenance.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »

I have no problems with Honda, but don't like this bike, just looks pretty plain to me. I had a 83 V65, over a 100hp stock, all kinds of nice suspension adjustment. Rode it for 15 years other than routine up keep and things I wanted to add, I probably spent $200 on maintenance.
..... as it should be. I would go as far to suggest that unless Harley gets there they will continue to have difficulty attracting the demographic they desperately need. The younger generation!!! JMHO of course!!

mungam

• Elite CVO Member
  • onepalaj
    • MA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 12:29:28 PM »

Well I will say I spent a lot more than 200.00 on maintenance.
That was 1 area I didn't cut back on.  Not happy with the cost, but I always rode it home.

Steve

I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
Maggie Valley, NC (05, 06, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 19)
New River Gorge (10)
Rib Fest (12, 13, 14)

West Coast
Cripple Creek, CO (06)
Nelson, BC (07)
Sedona, AZ (08)
Hood River, OR (09)
Lake Tahoe, NV (11)
Spokane, WA (12)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 12:38:19 PM »

I think I spent $200 doing the top end of my 34 year old honda, 4 cylinder...

$79 bucks for a new carb for my 39 year old one, they both run great...

They are what they is....Still want a cbx.... :orange:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 12:43:26 PM »

It's got a freaking radiator... ugh!

So does a V-Rod, not that I'm running down to my loca Honda dealer anytime soon, but it does appear their engineers are starting to get a better feel for the cruiser/chopper look than in years past. I agree with the member who posted that this ride is geared more to competing with Victory than H-D. This bike looks like a Victory Vegas/Big Dog

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 12:49:22 PM »

:soapbox:
Well I have owned Both a Magna and Still own the VTX.
No matter what you think my stock VTX for 14,200 (with warrenty and special paint) would leave a stock CVO with a 103 behind.  It wasn't until the 110's came out that I had to make sure I stayed with the group.

I spent 4-5k on the VTX trying to turn it into a SEEG. (windshield, bags, highway bars, seat, aux lighting, speaker system....)

No I am not sorry I bought my SEEG.

But to turn the SEEG into my VTX I need to spend another 4-5K.
performance upgrades, better brakes, better audio......WTF.....did I miss something?
Oh right.....if you have to ask you wouldn't understand.
36 states and 7 Canadian provinces.  The VTX never let me down, it never left me stranded.

My VTX was built by Americans in America.
How many parts on HD's come from Mexico or other countries?

I know I am going to get flack for this post......
But the members of this site have always been very kind to me even though I rode what I rode.

I always believed it was the fact that I rode, not what I rode.
We all share the love of the wind in our face and bugs in our teeth.  ;D

Steve

Steve, everything you wrote makes PERFECT sense! There are NO categories with an HD that offers a superior product from an engineering standpoint. There are NO sound reasons from an engineering standpoint to buy these bikes over other bikes. Then why would anyone in their right mind buy one over other bikes? Cause we love em anyway, in spite of their antiquated design! We love the soul that comes with them that none of the others can offer! (Yes, I've owned Jap bikes.) We love the lure and legend that HD has become in over a century of production! We love the brotherhood, culture and mystique that comes with the HD lifestyle. We love that it brings us together with similar minded people, and how easy it is to meet them when we have these bikes in common! We love how these bikes ride and feel, even though they might not be the most technologically advanced! Not saying it's not at all possible to get that feel from other bikes. But I for one never have! I'd never knock anyone for owning another brand. I'd never own a Softail either, even though it's a HD. But I'd rather see someone in the wind on ANYTHING, than not be in the wind at all! But for me, a HD (or an improved aftermarket version) is the only way to go!!! But hey, WTF do I know! ;D ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:47:28 PM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2009, 12:58:17 PM »

My rice bikes do not have radiators...Old school babe....

I digress, my pal and his new busa come down to the cigar store, black and orange, nice colors at least.

I says...Here take my serk out for a spin...He comes back grinning ear to ear, the next day...on a new road king, busa been parked since..He dumped a small azzpile into the busa too, carbon fiber gee gaws, exhaust and tune now can't get rid of it for half of whats into it...It was fun to ride but I do not need to wheelie at 70 in 3rd gear especially by accident..

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2009, 01:06:48 PM »

To say another brand will take competition away from Harley, once you get above the price of a high end Sportster, if you want a Harley you'll get a Harley. If someone gets a different bike than Harley, more than likely they were not particular in getting a Harley and looking for the best bang for their buck. The Honda is as nice as a metric "chopper" can be but it is no more a Harley than a Magna, VTX, Virago, Star, Victory, etc...

HD is doing as best as they can offering alternatives to consumers that would just as well buy a non-Harley bike with the various more affordable lines of Sportsters, V-Rods, and entry level Dyna, Softail, & Touring bikes.

If anything, the "competition better watch out everytime a new Harley model is released with a MSRP less than $15,000 to $18,000. I'd get a Nightster or Dyna Bobber before that Honday Fury if I had a choice and on a "fixed budget".
With all respect, I think you are missing the point. Harley is in very difficult times and they try to broaden their market. The customers like us, who seldom even look at another brand are a dying group. The Harley myth today is carried by 50 to 60 year olds. For many younger customers the opportunity to buy a technically superior bike (whatever one has to say about Honda, and I do not like them, but it is technically superior) with more punch at a lower price point will absolutely be appealing. And this will impact Harley's ability to broaden their market. Trust me, they'd rather build and sell 500,000 bikes annually instead of 300,000. And the Honda is, to my best knowledge, so far the best "knock-off" of the original V2 softtail design. This is actually some competition from a very large and serious manufacturer, not the couple of hundreds Indians or Victorys.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2009, 01:15:17 PM »

Lemme see if I can really put this into words. Howie did a pretty good job but there's a bit more to it I think.

Recently my wife and I went to see Benjamin Button. There's a scene in the movie where Brad Pitt is riding down a country road on an old Indian. I think how you react to the scene defines whether or not you're a Harley person. If something in your soul stirs at the thought of riding that old iron then you're a Harley person. If you smile at the antiquity of the vehicle then you're not. Simple as that - - - - - I think  :)

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2009, 01:22:34 PM »

Lemme see if I can really put this into words. Howie did a pretty good job but there's a bit more to it I think.

Recently my wife and I went to see Benjamin Button. There's a scene in the movie where Brad Pitt is riding down a country road on an old Indian. I think how you react to the scene defines whether or not you're a Harley person. If something in your soul stirs at the thought of riding that old iron then you're a Harley person. If you smile at the antiquity of the vehicle then you're not. Simple as that - - - - - I think  :)

B B

HeHe!!! You're right B B! It's near impossible to explain, and makes me think of the old adage that I've always hated, but does seem appropriate as an explanation. For lack of any other better way to put it, "If I have to explain why, you'll never understand!" seems to work, especially since pure logic alone surely can't explain it!!! ??? ;D ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2009, 01:27:26 PM »

Thats why all youz need an oldster, sumtin to leak in the garage besides a new bike...  :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 22 queries.