Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Chirping noise  (Read 8788 times)

100GOLD

• CVO1: 03 SERK
Chirping noise
« on: July 13, 2009, 05:27:39 PM »

Fellow motoholics,
 03 serk, 22k on bike. Lots of upgrades. Yesterday, took wife to breakfast and a 180 mile ride. When we got to the mountain resort town I noticed a loud chirp coming from the front of the motor. It disappears as motor noise drowns it out with rpm's.

Coasting at idle, clutch in it's still there. Slight drag on front brake while coasting and it's still there.

Just changed the primary oil and checked chain tension. Cold it was about 5/8 of an inch.

I do have the GP system third bearing but from what I could see of it, it looked fine. Oil looked normal with no abnormal parts stuck to the magnet.

I do notice that on startup, the front mcr is hanging open a few strokes longer than usual.

Do the mcr's have a service requirement?

All theories and guesses apprciated!

I may pull out the compression test kit tonight and see if I've got equal #'s on both cannons.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Chirping noise
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 05:32:19 PM »

Sorry fella but this bird cant help you.

Smuuth

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSEĀ³
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 05:38:35 PM »

Fellow motoholics,
 03 serk, 22k on bike. Lots of upgrades. Yesterday, took wife to breakfast and a 180 mile ride. When we got to the mountain resort town I noticed a loud chirp coming from the front of the motor. It disappears as motor noise drowns it out with rpm's.

Coasting at idle, clutch in it's still there. Slight drag on front brake while coasting and it's still there.

Just changed the primary oil and checked chain tension. Cold it was about 5/8 of an inch.

I do have the GP system third bearing but from what I could see of it, it looked fine. Oil looked normal with no abnormal parts stuck to the magnet.

I do notice that on startup, the front mcr is hanging open a few strokes longer than usual.

I may pull out the compression test kit tonight and see if I've got equal #'s on both cannons.

Check your front brake pads.  It sounds like it could be the wear indicator(s) on brake pads.
Patriot Guard

The best thing about riding in the rain is you don't have to stop to piss.

100GOLD

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 05:42:35 PM »

Yep, thought of brakes. I should add that sound is there when bike is not moving.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 06:12:34 PM »

My 07 SERK (motor # 3) was making a chirping noise, it stopped chirping when the motor ceased to function. I was told it was the crank, however, my local HD wrench was instructed not to open the motor, the Motor Company was sendinG a new crate motor.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 04:15:47 PM by FLTRCVO »

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 07:54:08 PM »

The most common low RPM squeak that I see are the rubbers in the rear muffler hangars; easy to check with the machine running.

There are numerous other things that will give a little chirp from time to time. :)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 09:02:35 PM »

The most common low RPM squeak that I see are the rubbers in the rear muffler hangars; easy to check with the machine running.

There are numerous other things that will give a little chirp from time to time. :)
New way to lube the moving parts?  :confused5: :-\ :huepfenlol2: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 10:03:38 PM »

Fellow motoholics,

I would guess that a slight leak at a compression release might create a chirping noise.  And yes, manual compression releases should be checked and cleaned occassionally.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 08:51:38 AM »

My 07 SERK (motor # 3) was making a chirping noise, it went stopped chirping when the motor ceased to function. I was told it was the crank, however, HD my wrench was instructed not to open the motor the Motor Company was sendind a new crate motor.

Bill, how ya like the serg?...i recognized you by the # of motors in yer serk. gotta be a record. :drink:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 12:22:43 PM »

Bill, how ya like the serg?...i recognized you by the # of motors in yer serk. gotta be a record. :drink:

TN

Outstanding, did the D & D 2 into 1 with ghost pipe and SE Pro Tuner 97 HP / 114 TQ.

SuperMario

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 02:13:24 PM »

That chirping sound from the rubber rear muffler hangers made me crazy until I found out what it was!  I was thinking the worst, that there was a serious problem in the engine or something.  I was sure relieved!
Officially old enough to be a Geezer Glide pilot.

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 03:16:52 PM »

I spray Teflon spray on the rubber grommets from time to time stops the chirp from the exhaust.

I did recently have a chirping sound after my bike was serviced and come to find out the service mechanic at my local HD shop tightened my primary chain too tight and it started chirping on decel clutch in or out and only when hot(but started leaking all the time)  It all ended badly with the bike stopping about 30 miles from home.  Further investigation (by said dealer) found the primary trans sprocket was not tight the lock plate bolts backed out (no locktite) the lock nut came off and the front sprocket dug a hole into inner primary.  Compensator was loose too.  Dealer replaced 5th gear, inner primary etc...(at their cost)  all is well so far...  

100GOLD

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 06:47:35 PM »

Just an update fellas,
 Bike puked rear intake lifter 400 miles from home this last weekend. Any body got some spare parts laying around? I need an adj. pushrod, a lifter, and a tappet block......so far. Have not gotten into the cam chest all the way so we'll see how the 251 held up. So......lifters will chirp when deciding to go out.

The funny thing about this is I know what caused it. My Dad, who built this bike, got to thinking that the motor builder had tightened the pushrods down too much. So, he got a mechanic to do his bidding and loosen them up. Bike quit on him of course. I believe that those pushrods beating on the lifters took out that wheel on the lifter and it was just a matter of time before it grenaded completely. Ride and learn!

100GOLD

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 12:19:46 PM »

Add a cam shaft to the parts list! Hammered it pretty good.

Luckily, all bearings seem to be fine. This sure puts some doubt in a guy's head though. I'm going to clean it up as well as possible and do a flush and take my chances.

Any recomendations on flushing the motor?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 01:16:28 PM »

Add a cam shaft to the parts list! Hammered it pretty good.

Luckily, all bearings seem to be fine. This sure puts some doubt in a guy's head though. I'm going to clean it up as well as possible and do a flush and take my chances.

Any recomendations on flushing the motor?

Replace the cam bearings with Torrington full contact bearings...  They're cheap and it's easy.  Don't take the chance...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 09:34:22 PM »

Just an update fellas,
 Bike puked rear intake lifter 400 miles from home this last weekend. Any body got some spare parts laying around? I need an adj. pushrod, a lifter, and a tappet block......so far. Have not gotten into the cam chest all the way so we'll see how the 251 held up. So......lifters will chirp when deciding to go out.

The funny thing about this is I know what caused it. My Dad, who built this bike, got to thinking that the motor builder had tightened the pushrods down too much. So, he got a mechanic to do his bidding and loosen them up. Bike quit on him of course. I believe that those pushrods beating on the lifters took out that wheel on the lifter and it was just a matter of time before it grenaded completely. Ride and learn!

Yep, seen that before...........years ago!
More common than you think!
HOGMIKE

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 04:28:51 PM »

100GOLD, can you tell me the brand of lifters you were running and the approximate mileage on the cams and lifters?

100GOLD

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 06:54:33 PM »

100GOLD, can you tell me the brand of lifters you were running and the approximate mileage on the cams and lifters?

Sure,
 All screamin' eagle. Cams put in with upgraded bearings at about 12k, grenaded at 23 k.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the inner cam bearings while I'm at it. The front one feels fine. The rear(bad one) has just a small hitch in it that you can feel with your finger. It's probably a small fragment and I just don't want to take a chance so I'll replace both of them.

By the way, cam chain tensioner shoes looked good at 23k. I am replacing both of them though. Might as well, I'm in there already.

I'm replacing lifters with Fueling this time. 70 bucks versus 216.00 and from what I've read they're as good if not better.

I ordered all the Harley parts including the cams fron Chicago H-D. 2 WEEKS out damnit!

Bike was dynoing here in Idaho at 115 hp and 117 tq. Absolutely rippin' fun to ride. Therefore I'm sticking with the 251's.

Again, I don't think this was a parts failure. I really believe that a backyard mechanic is to blame for the failure.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 10:26:04 PM »

The 11k mileage on your machine suggests there may be something more to your failure. Issues with rear intake tappet rollers and the Jims 120 engines are numerous, as are issues with early SE tappets manufactured by Jims.

Below are a couple of posts that you may find interesting. Good luck with your repair.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=21375.msg497605#msg497605

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=17199.msg274294#msg274294

100GOLD

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 09:04:36 AM »

I thank you for those interesting links. Very good reading.

So some advice please. Flushing the motor? Any advice? I read that oil goes from cam chest directly to filter, true?

Fueling lifters? Is that the right way to go?

100GOLD

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 12:24:56 PM »

After further perusing the linked posts I see that I need to back up on the fueling lifters.

Also, I need to go through all my boxes of parts that I inherited with this bike and look for the original lifters. I seem to remember a box that had some cam chest parts in it with the original 253's. Maybe the 18538-99b's are nestled in there.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 09:27:46 PM »

After further perusing the linked posts I see that I need to back up on the fueling lifters.

Also, I need to go through all my boxes of parts that I inherited with this bike and look for the original lifters. I seem to remember a box that had some cam chest parts in it with the original 253's. Maybe the 18538-99b's are nestled in there.

The 99B's are only around $30 apiece new.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 09:58:41 PM »

99B's are quieter in a JIms Motor.   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 11:55:01 PM »

99B's are quieter in a JIms Motor.   

I'm running them in my 131; replaced the originals after giving them 300 miles to settle down and keep quiet.

100GOLD

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 03:52:02 PM »

An update and a thanks for the help fellas.

This project took on some weird twists. First off, with a little patience and my friend e bay I was able to save a considerable amount of money on new unused parts.  A brand new in the box set of lifters for 35.00. a nib oil pump for 150 etc. It all added up.

I had a good friend signed up to help me once I got all the parts together. I tried to get ahold of him last wednesday and schedule him for a sunday in the shop with his special tools needed for this project. He woudn't answer the phone all through friday and I finally see his name on the id friday night.

Of course I answered it with a smart ass comment like " how was jail" as we all do with good buds. Well.....it was his ex wife and she informed me he had sat down at his computer wed. morning and had a massive coronary and was gone. She got to worrying about him and went over to his house and found him friday morning.

Ah s**t! He was 59 years old guys. A true friend. When my Dad passed last summer, Jim was the one that stuck by me on a three day roller and helped me take Dad on his last ride in the saddlebag of the gold serk.

Well crap! Now I'm on my own as far as getting the bike running and to top it off I need it done for Jim's funeral!

So, with the help of my serv. manual and a buddy with a press and a late sunday 120 mile sprint for the special tools I managed to get her together.

I flushed her out three times and so far so good. She purrs!

We had a great service and wake for Jim. Lots of story telling and tears. He'll be missed.

Thanks again for your help fellas, especially DJKAK. Very good advice. One thing though, always always make sure that old o rings came out of the top of the pushrod tubes before trying to install the new ones.  :2vrolijk_21:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 06:39:03 PM »

Hey 100GOLD, so sorry about your good bud's death.  I lost my best bud ( younger brother) at 57 and I still miss him all the time.  He'll ride with you.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 21 queries.