Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: How hot is too hot on 110s  (Read 10724 times)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
How hot is too hot on 110s
« on: April 07, 2007, 04:50:43 PM »

i have been reading what everyone says about the excess heat on the 110's. has anyone talked to HD about the issue and  do they think it is too hot.
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: How hot is too hot on 110s
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »

Spoke with MOCO factory rep 2weeks ago my springer is runing at about 260 degrees on back roads with air temps at 78 to 84 degrees. I have not done any motor work yet. The rep said that was normal for the 110,s She also said it can go as high as 300  degrees...   I think it 's BS  so I will either sell it or do the pipe sert cam and AF and hope for the best.   PS the rep said that they do not have any issues with the 110;s .I guess everyone on this site is full of it,or is it the MOCO.  Maybe we can start  a plan for folks to start calling the factory with their concerns then things may change..... :o :o :o

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

• CVO1: 2012 SE7 (10/15/11)
    • CVO2: 2007 UC-110 SE
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:28:03 PM »

After the mods I made my bike runs cooler than stock. Being concerned about heat I asked about oil temps and about an oilcooler. The SM said the oil temps should be 220 to 230 and added that an oil cooler is useless when you really need it most, stopped in traffic, no air flow. With that being said. I bought an LED dipstick to monitor the temp and will do a fan assist to the rear jug if it gets too hot. Also  I would add a fan to an oilcooler if I got one.

Iron

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 09:21:08 AM »

Spoke with MOCO factory rep 2weeks ago my springer is runing at about 260 degrees on back roads with air temps at 78 to 84 degrees. I have not done any motor work yet. The rep said that was normal for the 110,s She also said it can go as high as 300  degrees...   I think it 's BS  so I will either sell it or do the pipe sert cam and AF and hope for the best.   PS the rep said that they do not have any issues with the 110;s .I guess everyone on this site is full of it,or is it the MOCO.  Maybe we can start  a plan for folks to start calling the factory with their concerns then things may change..... :o :o :o

I can remember when the MoCo was denying that there was a chrome issue........they they were denying that there is a history of paint issues.  But down the road.......those denials do go away for the most part.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 12:35:18 PM »

And lets not forget how they vehemently discouraged the use of synthetic motor oil until they released their own.

And speaking of the Oil/Temperature readout dipsticks, I was amazed when I read my directions the other day and they stated something to the effect of the LCD display will not read when exposed to extreme heat which can occur when riding during stop and go traffic in warm weather conditions.  I bought it for that very purpose, not to check the temperature when I’ve been cruising down the back roads in 50° weather.

rant over!

Gregg

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 12:42:40 PM »

And lets not forget how they vehemently discouraged the use of synthetic motor oil until they released their own.

And speaking of the Oil/Temperature readout dipsticks, I was amazed when I read my directions the other day and they stated something to the effect of the LCD display will not read when exposed to extreme heat which can occur when riding during stop and go traffic in warm weather conditions.  I bought it for that very purpose, not to check the temperature when I’ve been cruising down the back roads in 50° weather.

rant over!

Gregg

This has been a problem with the LCD sticks since they started selling them. In direct sunlight, the display will turn black from the heat. This is a problem with LCD's, and not related to their part.

Chief

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 01:53:14 PM »

This has been a problem with the LCD sticks since they started selling them. In direct sunlight, the display will turn black from the heat. This is a problem with LCD's, and not related to their part.

Chief

Cheif,
Thanks for the heads up on the LCD. I have Spun Aluminum Gauges going in next week, I will add the oil temp instead of the air..

Thanks,
Iron

Tros

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 02:23:36 PM »

Chief

My parts guy warned me off of the LCD dipsticks saying they die frequently and early so I got the analog type.  Works for me.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 02:26:27 PM »

Cheif,
Thanks for the heads up on the LCD. I have Spun Aluminum Gauges going in next week, I will add the oil temp instead of the air..

Thanks,
Iron

Steven, there are a couple of threads here on the oil temp gauge.  Short version of all of it, however, is don't follow the directions. 

Instead of using the power harness supplied with the gauge make a little pigtail and use the power and ground to the stock gauge.  No new wire to string for those that way.  The socket to the stock bulb won't be used anymore at all.

When mounting the sending unit don't even consider doing the kludge of an install recommended in the instructions.  Instead get a reducer fitting at the parts store and use it to thread the sending unit in to the "other" drain hole next to the standard drain hole in the oil pan.  Bring the signal lead up to the gauge and ground it's other side somewhere in route. 

This makes for a much easier and much cleaner install than will following the OE instructions for the gauge kit.

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 04:51:45 PM »

Steven, there are a couple of threads here on the oil temp gauge.  Short version of all of it, however, is don't follow the directions. 

Instead of using the power harness supplied with the gauge make a little pigtail and use the power and ground to the stock gauge.  No new wire to string for those that way.  The socket to the stock bulb won't be used anymore at all.

When mounting the sending unit don't even consider doing the kludge of an install recommended in the instructions.  Instead get a reducer fitting at the parts store and use it to thread the sending unit in to the "other" drain hole next to the standard drain hole in the oil pan.  Bring the signal lead up to the gauge and ground it's other side somewhere in route. 

This makes for a much easier and much cleaner install than will following the OE instructions for the gauge kit.

Happy Easter Don,
Thanks for the info. The shop owes me some labor, so they are doing them for me. 

Take care!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 04:54:39 PM »

Happy Easter Don,
Thanks for the info. The shop owes me some labor, so they are doing them for me. 

Take care!

Good deal.  No out of pocket expense is always preferable than paying again.  Tell them to be sure and hang the sending unit down below though.  If they do as per instructions you'll have issues.  No sense in re-doing other's problems.

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 08:56:51 PM »

Do you have a photo of what you are talking about?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 08:53:22 AM »

What is the install process for the 07's? Since we don't have the oil lines between the motor and tank, I wonder how they instruct you to install the kit now? Anyone know? Maybe they've gotten smart and put it in the tank now. Any chance of that?

Chief

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 11:30:45 AM »

Chief,

It is the same as the 06. 

Here is the link to the thread in the old system:

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1145447973

I had it bookmarked for reference while I did mine.  I don't know how to translated to the new bb format.

In essence, don't tap the oil cooler lines in as instructed, route sending unit to spare oil drain port in pan.

T-lane has excellent picture of drain port -- look for dead cat reference. I can't seem to find the picture via search.

Mark

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 11:41:26 AM »

Chief,

It is the same as the 06. 

Here is the link to the thread in the old system:

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1145447973

I had it bookmarked for reference while I did mine.  I don't know how to translated to the new bb format.

In essence, don't tap the oil cooler lines in as instructed, route sending unit to spare oil drain port in pan.

T-lane has excellent picture of drain port -- look for dead cat reference. I can't seem to find the picture via search.

Mark

I was wondering if they had updated their installation instructions since the old procedure involved putting the sensor into a hose that doesn't exist on the 07's. I guess they haven't figured that out yet.

Chief
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 24 queries.